Saints 1-1 Spurs - Match Thread

Lighthouse

38 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

KWP and Bednarek are on 4 yellows so have to tread carefully or they will miss the Newcastle match (perhaps KWP will be rested but Bedders basically has to play).!

Djenepo has already gone to the Afcon Cup so also out !

Tella now available.

Stephens and Lyanco out !

Maybe Perraud will get a spin out to protect KWP if he is on the tightrope.

Anthony Taylor’s on the whistle. And he can be a funny bugger in the middle - Martin Atkinson will be sat in the back of the Transit van in the north car park watching the TVs getting in Taylor’s ear

42 minutes ago, manji said:

Newcastle have a lot of injuries and are claiming they are struggling to put a side together. 

No excuse, imo. We had shitloads of injuries last season without getting any matches called off. Just look at the team/squad fielded at Old Trafford, for example. Newcastle should be made to play their youth if needed, just as we had to.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, eurosaint said:

KWP and Bednarek are on 4 yellows so have to tread carefully or they will miss the Newcastle match

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Maybe Perraud will get a spin out to protect KWP if he is on the tightrope.

So make him miss a game, to stop him missing another game? Isn't that self defeating? 🤔 Main reason not to play him would be if he was struggling to be fit for today's game given he played 2 days ago. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

31 minutes ago, Minsk said:

No excuse, imo. We had shitloads of injuries last season without getting any matches called off. Just look at the team/squad fielded at Old Trafford, for example. Newcastle should be made to play their youth if needed, just as we had to.

I always thought you forfeited the game if you couldn’t field a team? Seems to have gone out the window with covid 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

So make him miss a game, to stop him missing another game? Isn't that self defeating? 🤔 Main reason not to play him would be if he was struggling to be fit for today's game given he played 2 days ago. 

The 5 card threshold for suspensions ends on Saturday.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Much rather him play and be more potent against Newcastle, than him being nullified and possibly wound up by a bunch of players many of whom have known him for years and more likely to apply the dark arts to gain an advantage.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

35 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The 5 card threshold for suspensions ends on Saturday.

So what? It is still making him miss a game to stop him missing a different game. It is self defeating.

2 hours ago, manji said:

Newcastle have a lot of injuries and are claiming they are struggling to put a side together. 

They'll do all they can to call off the game against us. Different prospect in April when their new players are starting to have an impact.

Has to be played no squinnying out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, macca155 said:

They'll do all they can to call off the game against us. Different prospect in April when their new players are starting to have an impact.

Has to be played no squinnying out.

Wouldn't be surprised if the league allow them some leeway and give them the best chance to stay up as possible.

Much better for the Premier League to have them rather than Burnley or Watford next season.

• Confused 1

Initial look and I’m thinking wtf, where is Che Adams or have I missed something.

However before the hindsighters dig up this post later in the thread I’ll reserve judgement 

How drained does Tella have to be for instance to see Long start. I only hope this is to put him in the shop window for somewhere.

I very rareful criticise the lineup because I understand that you need different systems and personnel throughout the season, but that is just ridiculous. I can't see any justification for playing Valery rb, kwp lb, our other lb in midfield, Armstrong and bloody long as a starter. That seems mental. 

• Like 1

It's one thing if we lose by fighting and giving it a good go against spurs but if we roll over and get hammered then really what is the point of a lineup like this? If this game goes how I think it may do then we might as well just play the youth team and go for the next one and yes I'm mightily pissed because I'm watching this game with my spurs supporting brother in law. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Looks like a 352 with Valery at RCB like we saw preseason. Kwp and Perraud at wing back, long and Arma up top.

Not holding out much hope for this one, feels like we sacked it off for the Newcastle game. Will reserve judgement on how clever that is until after that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I very rareful criticise the lineup because I understand that you need different systems and personnel throughout the season, but that is just ridiculous. I can't see any justification for playing Valery rb, kwp lb, our other lb in midfield, Armstrong and bloody long as a starter. That seems mental. 

Try kwp at rb. French geezer at lb and valery at rm.

Line up looks awful, assume same as Chelsea away in the cup with Valery as one of the back 5, Son and Kane will carve through that with ease. 

Long up front just makes me laugh. 

We'll really miss Romeu in the middle. 

Just hope we can hold out until HT and make some changes. 

0-3 prediction 

• Like 1

Looks like 5 at the back with Valery and 2 attacking full backs. Expect Armstrong to be a 3rd central midfielder so we compete there. I’ve no issues with this until I see a forward 2 of Long and Armstrong. Absolutely no need to play 2 up front here if he thinks Broja needs a rest and Adams not ready - just play another attacking midfielder. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I very rareful criticise the lineup because I understand that you need different systems and personnel throughout the season, but that is just ridiculous. I can't see any justification for playing Valery rb, kwp lb, our other lb in midfield.

More likely to be 4222 with Walker-Peters and Perraud as fullbacks and Valery in midfield. Or Valery as a third centre back in a 352.

Edited by Matthew Le God

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic