Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, M271 said:

My first negative feeling towards Everton was in Nov 1971 when I had been competing in a Southampton cub competition at Shirley Warren School, we had won but when my dad arrived to pick me up he told me we had lost to Everton 8 0 my happiness was soon wiped out.

You need to let it go, hopefully you will find closure on Saturday and be able to move on with your life, you can't spend another 51 years holding onto this negativity*.

*fee for  therapy session £210.00 by BACS transfer please

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Everton have been utter toilet for most of the season, including most of their win against us.

Anything less than three points would be disappointing, especially with the form we’re in and Everton’s record at St Mary’s.

It's a damn shame we couldn't have had this fixture 3 weeks ago, because the relative form and performances of the teams at that time would have seen us to an easy win.

Sadly, they looked a different team last Saturday against Leeds. Gone was the lacklustre, half-arsed Everton they had been all season. They had been replaced by a high-energy team full of pressing and working hard for each other. Lamps has had an immediate impact it seems. Leeds were pretty poor but Everton made it very hard for them all over the pitch.

I still think we should have too much for them on current form. They were buoyed on by an up-for-it home crowd which they won't have at SMS, and we've been in this kind of form for longer than the one game they have. They have some quality up front but their defence is there for the taking.

Should be a good game. I just hope my nephew doesn't get on the pitch (don't think he will because he's not even made the matchday squad for the last 2 games) because that would put me in an incredibly awkward position. I'd obviously be pleased if he did well, but I would be equally pleased if he scored an OG, gave away a pen and got sent off! 

• Like 3

Scrolled through 6 pages on GrandOldTeam, only 1 poster thought we would win. They weren't disrespectful, but they do think they have a better team and that they'll win if they play like they did against Leeds.

Whereas nearly all of us probably think we're better than Leeds and if we put in a United/Spurs level performance we'll have too much for Everton ^_^.

A few of their fans predict a score draw - and given they're a bogey side for saints, and have quality like Richarlson and DCL, that isn't that unrealistic.

Overall though, i think we'll win. Once we get at their slow (pace/backline) central midfield and defence, i think we'll have plenty of chances. And as a squad, they must have low confidence, even with Lampard newly coming in a couple of wins against prem teams lately.

As always with us at the moment, it should be a good game.

Saints to win, 3-1 or 2-1. And even if Everton take the lead, we'll just double down and go after them more. There is no mercy from this saints side at the present, and i think opposition teams find us relentless. Also fitness will play a part, and I am yet to see a team this season fitter than saints.

In addition, we really are due to give someone an utter battering soon the way we are playing - i'd rather hoped that would be Newcastle, but they've turned a corner / signed a new team. But its going to be someone...

Edited by Saint86

On 16/02/2022 at 08:12, Chez said:

In addition to the FA cup Semi final nightmare, I always remember them spoiling the centenary game at the Dell winning 2-3...and always beating us at their place. 

Yes they always seem to beat us. I remember losing 0-4 at home and Sharpe scoring all of them! Away we took some batterings. 

Looking at the forecast we've got heavy rain and strong winds to look forward to on Saturday afternoon, reminds me of the Burnley home game we had this time of year in 2020, could certainly have an impact on the game. They also mentioned on the news that severe travel disruption expected on Friday due to storm Eunice, could delay Everton's journey down would be a shame if they were stuck at the airport for hours. 

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Scrolled through 6 pages on GrandOldTeam, only 1 poster thought we would win. They weren't disrespectful, but they do think they have a better team and that they'll win if they play like they did against Leeds.

There seems to be an even split between those who reckon it will be a tough game and would be happy with a point, and those who are having delusions of grandeur after one decent result last week and reckon they only have to play like they did on Saturday and they will stroll it.

A few saying we are well organised but they have a better 11, but I can't see that myself. At the moment there's very few players of theirs I would have over ours. Pickford is undoubtedly better than any of our keepers (still suspect though), and Anthony Gordon is probably already a better player than Redmond. VDB is obviously a very talented player but yet to really prove himself in the PL so is an unknown. And if we don't count Broja as he's not 'our' player then Richarlison is better than anyone we have up front. But that's it. None of their back 4 would displace any of ours right now, and I wouldn't have any of their midfielders in ahead of JWP and Romeu on current form.

Oh and one guy reckons "These lot are due another 9-0 tonking"... like they would be the team to inflict it on us if we were! 😂

Edited by Sheaf Saint

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

Looking at the forecast we've got heavy rain and strong winds to look forward to on Saturday afternoon, reminds me of the Burnley home game we had this time of year in 2020, could certainly have an impact on the game. They also mentioned on the news that severe travel disruption expected on Friday due to storm Eunice, could delay Everton's journey down would be a shame if they were stuck at the airport for hours. 

Was thinking this earlier. There is no way their plane will be able to land on friday evening with 90+mph gusts expected here. They might need to redirect their flight or just get the bus down

Lampard not giving much away in his presser.  Looking for the same set up and style re the Leeds game (was 442).  

Was put to him about Saints players going down between 60 and 70 minutes regularly.   He said clubs have been doing it for years.  Other than that chose to reserve judgement.  

23 hours ago, Turkish said:

That was a great game, we were a brilliant team that season. That Rideout miss at the end was terrible, it was right in front of me and seem to remember him somehow putting it wide from almost on the goal line and then falling over. 

I also remember a game against them a season or so earlier when Kevin Sheedy scored a brilliant goal from about 30 yards out, game finished 1-1. Also remember beating them 1-0 at the Dell in the game after Dave Jones had been give leave and the Everton fans in the corner were singing "wheres your peadophile" 

Everton was also my first game, 1985, the century game when they were league champions. Of course we lost 2-3 with Glen Cockrill scoring early on and Steve Moran scoring in front of us in the Milton. Heroic failure which has been the theme of my saints supporting career.

My first game too. My mate at school was the mascot and brought me along as his 'plus one'. I was a little lad and remember being blown away by the noise when Cockerill scored after about 70 seconds. Still got the programme up in the loft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I appreciate this will attract the wrath of @Lord Duckhunter (if/when he/she/it decides to come out of hiding of course), and I know this can be filed under "yes, he would say that, wouldn't he".... but... Lampard seems to genuinely admire our football club. That said, here's hoping he's not all smiles at 5pm on Saturday! 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Weather is going to be horrendous for this. 55mph+ winds and rain forecast. Had to double check we weren't playing Burnley. 

Not that bad! 21mph wind with max 36mph gusts is the latest Met Office forecast for 3pm Sat. Quite tranquil really.

Weirdly after our recent form, I’d be tempted to take a draw here as they’re a bogey team but our first XI is on fire so I’d risk the win/loss. I think our midfield will dominate proceedings and our back 5 is pretty solid so it depends on whether the attackers can keep finding goals... and Adams is in form.

It’ll be tight, like a 1-0 Either way. Richarlison worries me... but I think their defence is poor so 2-1 us.

51 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Weather is going to be horrendous for this. 55mph+ winds and rain forecast. Had to double check we weren't playing Burnley. 

5 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

It's more a question of whether there'll still be a roof on St Marys after the 94 mph winds on Friday.

Met office say it'll be max of 60mph on Friday and 36mph during the game on Saturday.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcp185f25#?date=2022-02-18

4 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Last 2 games we went to in Burnley before lockdown (we're nearly local...) One in February towards end of season reasonable spring weather...roll on the next season early in August blowing a gale torrential rain much worse...the abiding memory of the first of these was the graffiti on the railway bridge close to the ground that said 'mind your head Crouchy' 😃

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Probably not, he is a she!

Probably feels a bit silly now after that remark, saying that I've had similar issues on a few holidays to Thailand with the she/he thing.

Back on 'point', can see us getting a big win, similar score line to the Brentford game.

Edited by skintsaint

15 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Is he getting blown away?

He did pay for the service but after a less than enthusiastic start she is now sitting on the bed next to him watching him blow his own trumpet!

(all in the name of humour, i don't even know if trousers has the required equipment 🙂 )

18 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Met office do tend to play things down, where as other outlets tend to over exaggerate. So somewhere in the middle is probably more likely.

Major newspapers do it too - when it's really hot they use Fahrenheit to exaggerate things, and when its really cold then they'll shift back to Celsius! 

45 minutes ago, coalman said:

Chances are this will get cancelled. I don't see Everton being able to travel down today safely.

Well, I've just been watching some live streaming of landings at Heathrow, runway 27L. I seem to have been saying "**** me" quite a few times. The A380 from Dubai was impressive (after 2 go-arounds). The Newcastle flight also had to as well. Maybe they'll drive!  Quite a number of trees down in my area including an oak 200 yards away: that's my woodburner sorted for a few years..

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If they can't fly, they'll get a coach and I'd be pretty surprised if they hadn't already planned on that anyway, given the forecast.

According to Everton forum the team is due to fly 4pm this afternoon 

Post in thread 'Southampton v Everton.  February 19th. 3pm' https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/southampton-v-everton-february-19th-3pm.114524/post-9429205

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic