Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

15 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

interesting little note:

20-21 | 24 matches - 29 points

21-22 | 24 matches - 29 points

feels like a completely different season (so far)

It is: last season we'd got to 29 points by the 4th January, after the Liverpool win. It took a long time to get another point after that.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

If CR had such quality as to regularly accumulate double his xG he'd be the best finisher in the world by a good margin.

This is why you will often here football experts say that finishing ability is mostly less important than getting in good spots.

I was speaking in general terms, rather than specific this season, using the greatest goal scorer of all time as an example of the same opportunity being better for 1 player than another. CR may be having a bad season (aren’t all at United), however, he clearly is one of the best finishers in the world and has been for about 10 years. 

I've never heard a football ‘expert’ say that. 

Edited by Dman

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It is: last season we'd got to 29 points by the 4th January, after the Liverpool win. It took a long time to get another point after that.

that is right.. my post above is a bit deceiving... we were on 29 points by Matchweek 17 (the Liverpool win) and stayed on 29 points for quite awhile after that (6 match losing streak)

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

that is right.. my post above is a bit deceiving... we were on 29 points by Matchweek 17 (the Liverpool win) and stayed on 29 points for quite awhile after that (6 match losing streak)

What is “matchweek 17”? Do you mean we were on 29 points after 17 matches?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

No they don’t. We’re on game/match week 25 and Burnley have played 21 games. 

We're not Burnley. This person was discussing us in matchweek 17. In matchweek 17 we had played 17 games, the season before on matchweek 17 we had played 17 games. Therefore saying "on matchweek 17" and "after 17 games" means exactly the same thing.

For people who call MLG out on being pedantic this is a super weird thing to be pointlessly pedantic about.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

We're not Burnley. This person was discussing us in gameweek 17. In gameweek 17 we had played 17 games, the season before on gameweek 17 we had played 17 games. Therefore saying "on gameweek 17" and "after 17 games" means exactly the same thing.

For people who call MLG out on being pedantic this is a super weird thing to be pointlessly pedantic about.

It’s an Americanism though and therefore to be deprecated. It might mean something significant if all the teams played each other on the same day/days.

41 minutes ago, TWar said:

We're not Burnley. This person was discussing us in gameweek 17. In gameweek 17 we had played 17 games, the season before on gameweek 17 we had played 17 games. Therefore saying "on gameweek 17" and "after 17 games" means exactly the same thing.

So the answer to Turkish question is after 17 games and they do not in fact mean the same thing 👍🏻

Edited by Dman

3 hours ago, Dman said:

I was speaking in general terms, rather than specific this season, using the greatest goal scorer of all time as an example of the same opportunity being better for 1 player than another. CR may be having a bad season (aren’t all at United), however, he clearly is one of the best finishers in the world and has been for about 10 years. 

I've never heard a football ‘expert’ say that. 

Neither have I. 

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

13 hours ago, TWar said:

We're not Burnley. This person was discussing us in matchweek 17. In matchweek 17 we had played 17 games, the season before on matchweek 17 we had played 17 games. Therefore saying "on matchweek 17" and "after 17 games" means exactly the same thing.

What about if it's our 17th game but the team we are playing it's their 20th game? It's a different match week for both teams in the same match. It's utterly ridiculous

• Like 1

Just to clear up any confusion what matchweek/game week we are on

22 Burnley
23 Arsenal, Spurs,Leicester, Everton
24 Wolves, Villa, Leeds, Newcastle, Watford
24 &25 Brighton
25 & 26  Man United
25 Liverpool, Chelsea, Saints, Palace, Norwich

Man City West Ham, Brentford

I cant understand why anyone thinks it's a load of bollox

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Turkish said:

22 Burnley
24 &25 Brighton
25 & 26  Man United

I cant understand why anyone thinks it's a load of bollox

For Fantasy Premier League players it is gameweek 25, which includes the match between Man United and Brighton, despite the games being in a separate calendar week to the first they played, and in the same week as another games they both respectively play that is in a separate gameweek.

It all just makes too much sense, the table is so easy to read and everyone knows exactly where we are in the season

image.png.3d3c9510d20e23da9cd07b11886784ca.png

This is Frank Lampard's record against us as manager (the 7:5 is to due Derby beating us 5-3 on pens)

I don't think this will be too easy, we've had 3 amazing results in past 3 PL games, we'll need some luck as I am worried about the Richarlison counter-attack. However, if we can get some luck ourselves to race into a 2 goal lead that would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Highfield Saint said:

Dont want any "he's got T Rex arms" chants on Saturday. Wouldnt want to put him off in any way

"Open the door, get on the floor
Everyone laugh at the dinosaur"

Yeah it would be really childish and classless if that were to start up from the Northam wouldn't it! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. All a bit childish, but if it winds him up to our advantage its fine by me 😀

He's renowned for that. When Everton play Newcastle the Geordie fans give him dogs abuse for being a Mackem and you can visibly see him getting riled and distracted by it. 

Well I remember Everton always being our bogie side at home and away while growing up. With my Everton cousin always having a dig at me as I went from a 10 year old through to becoming an adult, he as the cool older cousin nearly got me supporting Everton. In this period of time our home record was PD8, W0, D2, L6. But I had a realisation in this time, why would I support a team that were 300 odd miles away when I have a team on my doorstep. Now of course I live even further away from Southampton, but it will always be where I was born and grew up. 

Now the record from the formation of the Premiership (now Premier League) to our relegation in 2005 is pretty handy as is our record since our return in 2015. I had not realised how well we have done (at home against the Toffees) 

1993-2005

PD13, W6, D5, L2, GF19, GA13 

2012-2020

PD9, W6, D1, L2, GF15, GA7

Premiership/Premier League Total 

PD22, W12, D6, L4, GF34, GA20

So just Ralf’s record now. 

Won 2, Lost 1 

So I am going for Lampards men to come at us with their attacking team, and as we are pretty handy going forward and still a little open to mistakes and condeeding goals to square passes across the box, I am going for a 3-2. So get your money on the first 0-0 since we returned to the premier league and since the formation of the Premiership. 

51 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's renowned for that. When Everton play Newcastle the Geordie fans give him dogs abuse for being a Mackem and you can visibly see him getting riled and distracted by it. 

I know there're no lyrics but perhaps we could all sing the instrumental from 1:20

11 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Well I remember Everton always being our bogie side at home and away while growing up. With my Everton cousin always having a dig at me as I went from a 10 year old through to becoming an adult, he as the cool older cousin nearly got me supporting Everton. In this period of time our home record was PD8, W0, D2, L6. But I had a realisation in this time, why would I support a team that were 300 odd miles away when I have a team on my doorstep. Now of course I live even further away from Southampton, but it will always be where I was born and grew up. 

Now the record from the formation of the Premiership (now Premier League) to our relegation in 2005 is pretty handy as is our record since our return in 2015. I had not realised how well we have done (at home against the Toffees) 

1993-2005

PD13, W6, D5, L2, GF19, GA13 

2012-2020

PD9, W6, D1, L2, GF15, GA7

Premiership/Premier League Total 

PD22, W12, D6, L4, GF34, GA20

So just Ralf’s record now. 

Won 2, Lost 1 

So I am going for Lampards men to come at us with their attacking team, and as we are pretty handy going forward and still a little open to mistakes and condeeding goals to square passes across the box, I am going for a 3-2. So get your money on the first 0-0 since we returned to the premier league and since the formation of the Premiership. 

In addition to the FA cup Semi final nightmare, I always remember them spoiling the centenary game at the Dell winning 2-3...and always beating us at their place. 

or why dont we just stick with the tried and trusted well know anthem after about 2 mins of ...................................fetch your fathers gun and shoot the .............boring.

"Open the door, get on the floor
Everyone laugh at the dinosaur"  would be so much better and get those arms flapping all over the place..........

48 minutes ago, Chez said:

In addition to the FA cup Semi final nightmare, I always remember them spoiling the centenary game at the Dell winning 2-3...and always beating us at their place. 

This is the one that always sticks in my memory. Probably because I had the video review of that season on VHS and it included extended highlights of this game, but I was there on the day as well.

We absolutely battered them but couldn't find a winner. There was a chance right at the death where there was a ricochet in the box and the ball was heading in, and Rideout tried to apply a finishing touch but only turned it onto the post instead.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

On 15/02/2022 at 08:58, Turkish said:

22 Burnley
24 &25 Brighton
25 & 26  Man United

I'm glad you cleared that one up

And that 7-1 in 1996. That's the first defeat that made me feel physically sick. What a wretched day that was. 

Then Beattie leaving us for them. Fast forward some years and that opening day depressing defeat. 3-0, taken apart when my hopes were so high. Not sure why that game stands out, as we've had loads of them against us over the years.

They have been my under the radar hate team for a long time.

My first negative feeling towards Everton was in Nov 1971 when I had been competing in a Southampton cub competition at Shirley Warren School, we had won but when my dad arrived to pick me up he told me we had lost to Everton 8 0 my happiness was soon wiped out.

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is the one that always sticks in my memory. Probably because I had the video review of that season on VHS and it included extended highlights of this game, but I was there on the day as well.

We absolutely battered them but couldn't find a winner. There was a chance right at the death where there was a ricochet in the box and the ball was heading in, and Rideout tried to apply a finishing touch but only turned it onto the post instead.

That was a great game, we were a brilliant team that season. That Rideout miss at the end was terrible, it was right in front of me and seem to remember him somehow putting it wide from almost on the goal line and then falling over. 

I also remember a game against them a season or so earlier when Kevin Sheedy scored a brilliant goal from about 30 yards out, game finished 1-1. Also remember beating them 1-0 at the Dell in the game after Dave Jones had been give leave and the Everton fans in the corner were singing "wheres your peadophile" 

Everton was also my first game, 1985, the century game when they were league champions. Of course we lost 2-3 with Glen Cockrill scoring early on and Steve Moran scoring in front of us in the Milton. Heroic failure which has been the theme of my saints supporting career.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic