Do we sell Prowse?

ally_uk

10 minutes ago, tunit said:

Similar to above. Sell if we can get two 30m players who will go straight into the first team. If its going to be for a few 10m gamble players then no

Which is exactly what it would be, so no from me

• Like 1

Interesting - see I’m not sure he’s worth £75m in terms of his overall game, but he’s worth at least that in terms of Captain continuity and making a statement that clubs like Newcastle can’t rob us of our talisman players (thinking on this point, JWP is the only talisman we’ve got left). On balance it’s a no from me.

• Like 1

I think he worth at least 75m to us but in the market probably 50-60 in reality. But this is a sellers market because of his contract length. I am mixed about him leaving but for 75m+ it might be a good option, if it gets us 2-3 25m ish players. 

Definitely not. Don’t think he wants to go and Sports Republic have hit the ground running. Don’t forget they are media based and would reflect badly on them.

it’s just the media shit stirring. They can’t understand why he would stay here. Inevitable click bait.

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm in two minds. If we spent the £75m wisely then I'd lean towards 'yes'. 

For those saying an outright 'no', is there a figure above that which would make you reconsider? £85k? £100k? Or is it a 'no' at any price?

No at any price, we can’t get a player anywhere near as good as him, he’s a game changer for us, he’s the only reason we stayed up last season. 

Losses at Leeds and Brighton where he dug us out of holes would’ve put us bang in trouble. 

Edited by Appy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

No at any price, we can’t get a player anywhere near as good as him, he’s a game changer for us, he’s the only reason we stayed up last season. 

Losses at Leeds and Brighton where we dug us out of holes would’ve put us bang in trouble. 

I think this is the crux of it.  We couldn't afford the players it would take to replace his spot in the team. So if selling him meant we would suddenly go and change the model, then maybe, but that isn't going to happen. We probably aren't going to pay anyone over £70k a week, and we're not going to spend any more than £20m on 1 player.

We're also living in a world when bang average premier league players are going for £35m +

Edited by Saint Garrett

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Losses at Leeds and Brighton where we dug us out of holes would’ve put us bang in trouble. 

What if we had a £25m striker, midfielder and centre half in those games and won them comfortably, as well as the Watford, Newcastle and Brentford games? That last sentence makes no sense, you’re basically saying what if we sold him and spent zero on any players, which would obviously be daft.

I would say yes, definitely, for £75m.

If we could get £75 million or more I would reluctantly say yes if we thought it would be invested wisely. It is a lot of money for a player that could be a tackle away from being worth nothing and JWP's value is probably at a peak right now. If we don't sell now, and I would love him to stay, then the chances are that as long as we don't go down he will finish his career with us.

NO. Unlike others before him  he hasn't asked to leave or shown the slightest sign of wanting to leave or being unhappy. If we deliberately choose to get rid of our best we are done for and we may as well play Monopoly

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

For those saying an outright 'no', is there a figure above that which would make you reconsider? £85k? £100k? Or is it a 'no' at any price?

Whatever Rice is worth (but definitely not £100k 😉)

Wet Spam say that Rice is worth £150m. Rice is a very good player granted, and to them, that is what he's worth. But he's not twice as good as JWP. I think we should have stuck £100m tag on JWP. Imagine if the Spammers sell Rice for £150m and replace him for £75m with JWP, how would that make us look? They've then got JWP and another £75m to spend on other players as well, so it's a BIG NO for me.

• Like 2

This has come up a few times in recent months, but as of this window - no, no matter what the bid is.

Once we've sorted the rest of the team out, the likes of Bazunu, AKP etc have matured as regulars and there's value in other individuals like Salisu/Tino next summer, then we could maybe absorb his loss a little easier. At the moment though, with a squad that already needs substantial work, selling JWP would just create too much to do and leave us with a load of unproven players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This has come up a few times in recent months, but as of this window - no, no matter what the bid is.

Once we've sorted the rest of the team out, the likes of Bazunu, AKP etc have matured as regulars and there's value in other individuals like Salisu/Tino next summer, then we could maybe absorb his loss a little easier. At the moment though, with a squad that already needs substantial work, selling JWP would just create too much to do and leave us with a load of unproven players.

So someone offers to buy him for £100 Billion and you turn them down? Obviously that's an extreme example and not realistic however I do feel think that's the issue with this "not at any price" attitude. Everybody has a price and sometimes, it's too good to turn down.

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

So someone offers to buy him for £100 Billion and you turn them down? Obviously that's an extreme example and not realistic however I do feel think that's the issue with this "not at any price" attitude. Everybody has a price and sometimes, it's too good to turn down.

No one is going to offer that! But even £100m I'd say no. Selling JWP would equal relegation with the current state of the squad, keep JWP around with the new players we're buying this year, let them mature and we can absorb his loss a bit better next year if all goes well. At the moment, you're taking out 1 of our 2 PL quality players and that would be curtains in my opinion.

Edited by S-Clarke

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No one is going to offer that! But even £100m I'd say no. Selling JWP would equal relegation with the current state of the squad, keep JWP around with the new players we're buying this year, let them mature and we can absorb his loss a bit better next year if all goes well. At the moment, you're taking out 1 of our 2 PL quality players and that would be curtains in my opinion.

16 other clubs have managed to avoid relegation without JWP, I don’t see why we couldn’t if we invested £100m even semi-competently and that’s on top of the money we are able to spend anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would sell him now while he still has market value and insist on cash so that we can buy a decent £25m attacking midfielder and proven £25m striker. I doubt we will get more than £50m for him. It's a win-win really, we get much needed reinforcements, JWP gets a bigger pay check and a new challenge for trophies which he ain't gonna get stuck down here.

Realistically though I doubt he has the bottle to leave. He is a home lad by nature and will find it too hard emotionally to leave an area he has known all his life to settle in some outback third world county like Merseyside or Tyneside

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trousers said:

85k to 100k seems a bit cheap to me. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I know they're not. Like I said, extreme example I know. Hmmm 100 million is a lot of money! I'd probably take it but I can certainly see the argument against.

Yes, of course, a club our size can't turn down that kind of fee, but no one is spending that. 

I wonder how we'd spend it. It's not easy spending money well. No one knows that better than us. 

people saying `no', have you considered that he may have had is best season last year and might not reach the same heights, probably will never score as many goals again, perhaps even gets injured....he's overdue one...

OK, so thats the glass half empty scenario, but isn't selling layers at their highest price what we need to do to thrive? 

4 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I don’t think he’s worth anywhere near 75 million anyway, ridiculous price when you think Mane has gone to Bayern for 35 million and Haaland to City for £51 million….bonkers media led nonsense. 

And Grealish went for....?