Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

having watched all three pre-seasons game one thing is glaringly obvious, it does not matter who we have up front, we could have harry Kane and he wouldn't have barely touched the ball. We totally lack any creativity for our strikers to feed off. Adam Armstrong did nothing wrong, he worked hard and irritated the hell out of Watfords defence. Che barely touched the ball and looked utterly pissed off with the lack of service despite the runs he kept making.

We really need to address the creativity area or we are in for another frustrating season. 

I think you mean Watford's defence irritated Adam Armstrong - because he barely had a touch in that first half. He was completely bullied.

At least Che has the ability to come short and hold it up, and also has the intelligence to drift out wide if he doesn't get it for a while.

• Like 1

So, 1 win in our last 16 games (the 1-0 v Arsenal). At least if Ralph plays Bazunu instead of McCarthy, we should get a few more scoreless draws. 

Gyökeres scored for Coventry at Fratton Park today and of course he scored against us at St Mary's last season. I think he could be the tall, 10+ goal a season striker we need. He's a Swedish international and still only 24 so maybe not too old for our owners to turn a profit on.

Edited by Nordic Saint

I don't think the unwatered pitch helped with the attacking for either team to be honest. When you're used to playing on fast, slick surfaces its hard to adjust. Having said that we do still need a creative spark. Djenepo was good this afternoon and I think Diamond has been good in the two previous games. It makes me laugh when I see people having meltdowns from pre season games. Seen people on twitter questioning Ralphs subs and tactics in a friendly haha. We've had terrible pre seasons before and done well in the season and we've had great pre seasons and done awfully. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I think you mean Watford's defence irritated Adam Armstrong - because he barely had a touch in that first half. He was completely bullied.

At least Che has the ability to come short and hold it up, and also has the intelligence to drift out wide if he doesn't get it for a while.

tell me how many chances against a Championship side we created for our strikers???

My point is at the moment we could have the best strikers in the world and it would not make any difference as we are not creating any chances for our strikers.

Elynousi, Djneppo created nothing.

We rely on JWP and Stu far too much

We really need to address our lack of creativity

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

tell me how many chances against a Championship side we created for our strikers???

My point is at the moment we could have the best strikers in the world and it would not make any difference as we are not creating any chances for our strikers.

Yeah we didn't create anything but you said he irritated their defence, which is just wrong. Even if we do come up with this creativity, AA9 isn't the answer. He's not good enough - loan to buy please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

We were one of the top teams in the Premier League last season for putting high crossses and corners into the penalty box for a tall striker we didn't have to head the ball into the net. I assume those will be our tactics again this season but hopefully, we'll have a new striker who is good at heading.

• Like 1

Huffed n puffed performance against a side who will finish in the top 3 or higher in the championship.. minutes in legs again for us but agree with most on here that we have no creativity for our strikers to feed off .. AA and che looked very frustrated.

stu Armstrong had some moments was our best outfield player .. Kwp was solid .. Aribo looks a tricky customer but still adapting to the new players around him .. lavia looked tired today.

class from bazunu looks a real talent and absolutely needs to be our no. 1 

Edited by Chris cooper

35 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Caleb Watts maybe?

46 minutes ago, coalman said:

It's a shame we're waiting so late in the transfer window to bring someone in up front. But I think having different options up there will unlock a lot of the potential in this team. I don't think Ralph has had his strongest side all on the pitch together yet either.

Agree with your last sentence.  But it’s not for the lack of trying that we haven’t got our new strikers in - Chelsea apparently dicking us around re Broja; Man City refusing to accept our bid for Delap; Dembele yet to be convinced……plus more.  Who do these bloody clubs think they are FFS!!!

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I hope Mara is good cos bloody hell he’s gonna need to be.

As others have already said...if you don't create you can't expect your forwards to score. It's a chicken and egg situation and whilst I agree we need strengthening up front maybe the real problem is a compete lack of creativity. Blame your forward when they are missing a hatful of chances.

Hasenhuttl: “It was slow because there was no water on the pitch which can happen. Maybe not in the Premier League but in the Carabao Cup. But it was a good test. For us, you can see both teams were struggling to speed up the game because it was slow today.”

oh just fuck off. 
getting his usual excuses in early. Everyone else’s fault but his. 
I really fucking hate this bloke. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

As others have already said...if you don't create you can't expect your forwards to score. It's a chicken and egg situation and whilst I agree we need strengthening up front maybe the real problem is a compete lack of creativity. Blame your forward when they are missing a hatful of chances.

If Ralph is going to play 5 at the back then we need to be good on the counter attack which we absolutely are not. So either he changes tactics (won't happen) or we get players in who can do the job. I've been a critic of A.Armstrong - certainly doesn't look like he can hit the proverbial barn door at the moment - but I think he might have the qualities to spearhead a team that is a good and swift counterattacking unit

32 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Hasenhuttl: “It was slow because there was no water on the pitch which can happen. Maybe not in the Premier League but in the Carabao Cup. But it was a good test. For us, you can see both teams were struggling to speed up the game because it was slow today.”

oh just fuck off. 

We didn't score because they don't water the pitch. That didn't stop QPR from scoring 8 (eight) on the same pitch on Wednesday! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, saint lard said:

oh just fuck off. 

Is he making an excuse or just stating a fact?

He's literally said "both teams were struggling", it's not like he said it was only negative towards Saints.

But don't let that influence your bias.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Oh Jesus, is this the plan? Miss out on our Striker targets and play Stu up top?

I doubt it. More that it's an option we haven't tried before and could be used if we really have to.

We are worryingly shit 2 weeks out from the start of the season. Young lads will be lambs to the slaughter come the game against Tottenham. 

In short, can’t see hassenhuttl lasting any more than 10 games. 

57 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Christ. Sounds like we’re heading into the he season with a werid Ralph plan in mind. The bloke seems incapable of playing players in their best position and / or finding a formation that suits our best players. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is he making an excuse or just stating a fact?

He's literally said "both teams were struggling", it's not like he said it was only negative towards Saints.

But don't let that influence your bias.

I just don’t think he’s very good. And any excuse will do. No responsibility taken ever. He’s turd. 
even Adkins was a tad likeable. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

We are worryingly shit 2 weeks out from the start of the season. Young lads will be lambs to the slaughter come the game against Tottenham. 

In short, can’t see hassenhuttl lasting any more than 10 games. 

This your first pre-season then ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

oh just fuck off. 

So the manager comments that the pitch was slow because of a lack of water, which affected both teams, in a preseason friendly and your response is that he should, “just f**k off.”

Seems fair and rational. 🙄

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Seems to be sending a truly depressing message. Avoid risks at all costs approach. Attacking midfielders not to drive with the ball. Playing someone up front, completely out of position and creating zilch in an attacking sense is a success.

Pretty much like the home game vs the scousers

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Seems to be sending a truly depressing message. Avoid risks at all costs approach. Attacking midfielders not to drive with the ball. Playing someone up front, completely out of position and creating zilch in an attacking sense is a success.

I don't understand how you read that avoiding risks at all costs? 

He didn't say anything about not wanting attacking midfielders to drive with the ball? Pretty sure if that was the case we wouldn't have bought Aribo and Mara who both like to do that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I just don’t think he’s very good. And any excuse will do. No responsibility taken ever. He’s turd. 

Yeah, that cheeky smile really made up for those horrific back to back promotions.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Adkins was only a "tad" likeable? Wow. He's the nicest bloke we've had as a manager since Lawrie.

I think you should draw a blue line under this and move on.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

We didn't score because they don't water the pitch. That didn't stop QPR from scoring 8 (eight) on the same pitch on Wednesday! 

Against a conference team with 4 trialists in their squad. Bit different, but don't let that stop you.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I don't understand how you read that avoiding risks at all costs? 

He didn't say anything about not wanting attacking midfielders to drive with the ball? Pretty sure if that was the case we wouldn't have bought Aribo and Mara who both like to do that.

Spot on.  People have quickly forgotten how defensively poor we were last season.  I’m perfectly fine with us sorting that out first - we know there are strikers on the way that the club believe are better than we currently have.  That will bring the balance and attacking threat we are looking for.  The future is really positive,! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

So for anyone who watched that did we play that non entity not really doing anything style that we ended last season on or is the pressing game back?

It's hard to read much into pre-season to be honest, but it was a bit of a half arsed press if anything. Not much thrust going forward, but when is there ever any thrust going forward with the current crop.

Aribo looks like he can add something different though, a bit of physicality and power on the ball. Adam Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Moussa etc, feels like we're continuously flogging 3 dead horses.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Against a conference team with 4 trialists in their squad. Bit different, but don't let that stop you.

Was half joking, but OK the lack of water on the pitch didn't stop the conference team with 4 trialists from scoring twice against a championship side. 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

No He didn’t. He inherited a a team that had had its two leading goal scorers and best midfielder sold and its captain wanting a move and got one and its best player injured for half of the season. So in fairness he had nothing like the team that finished 6th

Completely fair, just mean the level of expectation was obviously skewed as a result. Also the football was obviously really good under Koeman.

7 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

So, 1 win in our last 16 games (the 1-0 v Arsenal). At least if Ralph plays Bazunu instead of McCarthy, we should get a few more scoreless draws. 

Gyökeres scored for Coventry at Fratton Park today and of course he scored against us at St Mary's last season. I think he could be the tall, 10+ goal a season striker we need. He's a Swedish international and still only 24 so maybe not too old for our owners to turn a profit on.

Thank you, I have been trying to remember that players name, definitely looked, without being unkind, like a version of Broja who had failed to fulfill his potential. Wonder what happened in his spell at Brighton? Not enough I guess? But anyway yes maybe a little like Lambert, some strikers mature and fulfill or exceed potential later in their careers. Worth a gamble on IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LGTL said:

No matter the question, Adam Armstrong has never, and will never, be the answer. 

Disasterous signing. 

So why did he score for fun before us? Ralph can't set up our midfield to provide him with the service he needs. That's a Ralph problem, not an AA problem. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, SaintBitterne said:

This thread is very funny😆Dread to think what it would have been like if we had similar results to Everton or Brentford over the past few days

Everton fans are protesting at the club ownership 

I think for Saints you need to put into context alongside our end of season run of form. A winning side feels like a distant memory, Monaco and Villarreal could be tough depending what sides they put out, will be a shame if we go into the new season with no wins. 

Doesn't look like many tickets sold for Monaco, for anyone who travels by train worth checking the train strike timetable don't think there's any trains from Southampton after the match