Bad Wolf

19 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

I would suggest 7 wins in 38 is something not to like - also:

Premier league experience

Experience of managing in a top European league

Experience of managing in a in a top league elswhere

Experience of managing top class youngsters

Having the ability to attract a decent striker in January

Experience is neither a skill nor a future indicator of success.

Ralph Hassenhuttl has just become available and he ticks the majority of those boxes you want though. 

• Like 2

The thing that worries me the most about Jones is that he is a bible thumper who is not averse to bringing his faith up in press conferences. Not against religion but it’s something that doesn’t fit with football (or politics). His lack of top-flight experience and his tanking at Stoke are a worry I would be prepared to put to one side, but all considered I think this could be conceivably be our worst appointment since Branfoot, if not of all time. Very depressed right now. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Underwhelmed, massively underwhelmed.

However that being said; we were clearly heading for relegation under Ralph, so giving Jones a go is no bigger risk in that respect. And I was massively underwhelmed with Poch.  

Seems like the club have done the due diligence and Jones has been their man for a while, so I’m not concerned that we’re rushing into things. 

Seems to have done a great job at Luton, but cant say I know enough about him or them to judge. 

Hope for the best, expecting the worse. But have expected us to go down this season anyway, so no change there. 

22 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I don't disagree but almost the entire point of Saints at the moment seems to be to give someone a chance to do those type of things because of the theory that once they have already done them they are, for some reason, unattainable to us.

I am more concerned by the 3 CB formation and supposed direct style rather than an him not having managed in the PL before.

As for a striker, thats not his job to do.

Can’t say 3 at the back bothers me. After the last window it is probably our strongest position so if someone can get us playing that effectively unlike Ralph that would be good.

Got to stage where style is secondary, so directness doesn’t bother me especially.

Untried nature is a concern but most managers are going to be somewhat of a gamble in prem. 

34 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Like Poch RH had...

Guess you wanted Dyche...

Give the guy a chance to mess up before you write him off

Poch had managed in a top league. I didn't want Dyche but better than Jones, plays similar football by the sound of things

6 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The thing that worries me the most about Jones is that he is a bible thumper who is not averse to bringing his faith up in press conferences. Not against religion but it’s something that doesn’t fit with football (or politics). His lack of top-flight experience and his tanking at Stoke are a worry I would be prepared to put to one side, but all considered I think this could be conceivably be our worst appointment since Branfoot, if not of all time. Very depressed right now. 

What a stupid comment.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

As a general philosophy, I like the idea of giving highly rated British managers from the lower leagues the chance, but you need time and patience to let that manager grow with the club. But Saints are in a hell of a slump currently and not sure we have that time so is a massive risk

regards to Nathan Jones, he is not a name I would have thought would have been linked and just assumed Sports Republic would have gone down the continental manager route. Obviously he has done a superb job at Luton and if he stays at Luton this season and gets into the playoffs again then he deserves a crack at a bigger club or with Luton in the Premier League. I had no idea on how Luton play, but found some links that others may find useful.

so yes the direct / dreaded long ball gets mentioned, but it feels like that is utilising the resources he has at luton rather than a preferred style. interestingly is the high pressing stats to win the ball up field quickly and then break and to have a ball winner in front of the defence, so am sure he would love Lavia! (as any new manager would). Also seems he likes the 2 strikers playing off each other... so maybe he can get Che and Adam clicking together!!! 

The one worry is the 3 at the back and the win the ball and quick direct approach is what Ralph dabbled with this season and it did not work, but hopefully thats a Ralph training / tactics  / communication thing and not a player thing.

last comment is also trying to find the positives... we have a very young squad and they need a coach that will nurture them and be more engaging. They are all lacking confidence and it felt more and more that Ralph was not the person to get that back. Also we don't have any big headed superstars on mega money that only want a headline big name manager, so I think our squad would buy more into a Nathan Jones appointment than say a Villa or a Wolves... the bottom article suggests players have improved under him, and that would be nice for a change rather than discussing how player X has regressed!!

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/team-analysis/luton-town-2021-22-nathan-jones-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

https://the72.co.uk/2022/10/19/nathan-jones-and-luton-town-are-reminding-us-that-theres-beauty-in-simplicity-even-in-todays-game/

• Like 1

In case you've not noticed, we've been playing the long ball out from the keeper, in the general direction of Che Adams, for a number of the recent games I've seen at St Mary's and the televised game I saw against Bournemouth. Only recent one where we played it out from the back was against Arsenal.

I'm sad to see Ralph go as he's done a great job (for the most part) in trying circumstances, but let's give the new man a chance.

• Like 1

This is a ludicrous appointment. The worst case scenario with no attributes for the job, not even the ability to get out of the Championship. I thought we had reached a low point but this is lower. What on EARTH are they thinking? Is this Semmens' revenge? Madness. Absolute madness.

• Confused 1

We weren’t certainly wasn’t moving mountains with Ralph but it felt safe with him. I was at the Newcastle game on Sunday and I have to admit it wasn’t great! The trouble we have and have seen it over the years is that anyone who is half decent will be snatched up. Say what you will about Ralph but he was committed to our club. It’s a shame we haven’t pushed on since our summer signings have come in but I do feel they probably needed some more time! The winter break would have been perfect for Ralph to put some hours in on the training ground with them as not many will be going to Qatar. That being said we are short of a goal scorer. As for jones….underwhelming is an understatement! I’d like to think the board have unearthed a gem but I do feel as if now we are in a relegation battle. After the World Cup we have Brighton, Fulham, Forest, Everton, Villa , Brentford and wolves. I would certainly feel more confident with Ralph in charge going into those games than Jones. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammysaint88 said:

We weren’t certainly wasn’t moving mountains with Ralph but it felt safe with him. I was at the Newcastle game on Sunday and I have to admit it wasn’t great! The trouble we have and have seen it over the years is that anyone who is half decent will be snatched up. Say what you will about Ralph but he was committed to our club. It’s a shame we haven’t pushed on since our summer signings have come in but I do feel they probably needed some more time! The winter break would have been perfect for Ralph to put some hours in on the training ground with them as not many will be going to Qatar. That being said we are short of a goal scorer. As for jones….underwhelming is an understatement! I’d like to think the board have unearthed a gem but I do feel as if now we are in a relegation battle. After the World Cup we have Brighton, Fulham, Forest, Everton, Villa , Brentford and wolves. I would certainly feel more confident with Ralph in charge going into those games than Jones. 

I can't think of a player who has been coached that seems to have improved under Ralph. They stay the same as they first arrive or go backwards

• Like 1

Genuine question… is Jones any worse than the young bloke at Salzburg who was touted..? 

Comparable sized leagues, both successful in their said leagues. 

Difference being, Luton aren’t owned by Red Bull. The hipster Cult lives on. 

Had Jones achieved what he has done with Luton in Germany or Europe, people would be over the moon with his appointment. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The thing that worries me the most about Jones is that he is a bible thumper who is not averse to bringing his faith up in press conferences. Not against religion but it’s something that doesn’t fit with football (or politics). 

Do you wanna tell Dave Merrington that ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I can't think of a player who has been coached that seems to have improved under Ralph. They stay the same as they first arrive or go backwards

With out going to far back I could argue that both ings and vestergaard were in better places when they left than when they arrived? 

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Is 8th in the Championship really 'a superb job'? What a joke.

It’s all relative, surely. 

If we finished 8th next season, it would be an incredible achievement. If City finished 8th it would be terrible. 

Luton finishing 8th over achieving, that isn’t debatable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Bro we need all the help we can get, lets get some others that cover the other religious bases and see if that helps our team.

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Perraud? Walker-Peters? Ings?

I respectfully disagree.

Ings was always a class player. Perraud did not play enough to see if he improved but he already was ok in the league he played in.

Walker Peters a fair point

Well, at least we finally know that SR are fucking useless. So much for these cool, calculated Danes that have got it all planned out.

If they wanted a long ball merchant suited to the lower leagues, Dyche's available. Dave Bassett would probably still be up for it.

What a mad appointment. 

• Like 3

Jesus Christ Saints, hopefully this is a smoke screen. Massive mistake IMO. This is Carillo levels of stupidity. Splash the cash to get someone decent. If we appoint this guy we're as good as down and won't be coming back. This SR group are really stupid with their money if this is what they are doing. Flushing it down the bog! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, qwertyell said:

Well, at least we finally know that SR are fucking useless. So much for these cool, calculated Danes that have got it all planned out.

If they wanted a long ball merchant suited to the lower leagues, Dyche's available. Dave Bassett would probably still be up for it.

What a mad appointment. 

Ankersen knows what he's doing, he's done a ted talk and everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Is 8th in the Championship really 'a superb job'? What a joke.

Basically took them from L2 to championship play offs with a tiny amount of cash.

Even when he went to stoke he had luton up there near the top of L1 that mick harford just had to follow the formula for the rest of year then he came back and saved them from relegation with a few games left after jones got sacked.

I too am underwhelmed name wise but lets not denigrate a bloke who has done an excellent job at luton.

edit - I see he also is meant to speak fluent spanish

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

If Jones really is SRs chosen man, then I admire their balls.  They could go "safe" and choose a comfort blanket of manager to appease fans, media etc.  If we consider their transfer philosophy, safe doesn't appear to be their style.

It's a helluva play (if true), let's hope they're right.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It’s a wait and see appointment appointment for me. Would like to understand more what happened at Stoke because SFC is if anything an even bigger basket case than them. Needs a strong, no nonsense figure to pull the board and new, very naive owners through by the nose which is why I’d have opted for Benitez. Chance for SR to learn the game and industry properly from a leading figure, invest in the squad where he advises them to and onto the board when retires and recruits his replacement. Better than the nobody bloke from Man City they got mugged off by in the summer. £25m on City youngsters?

Feels a bit like the Dave Jones and Paul Sturrock hires, maybe more Dave Jones as Sturrock inherited a better squad from WGS than Dave did. They both did a stellar job at lower league outfits but not sure Sturrock was a fit in the corporate sense despite leading the LMA stats etc. This would be the worry with Nathan Jones possibly, Ankerson, Semmens and Steele seem more corporate style over substance. 

Also with Sturrock, there were rumours that certain senior players made his early days very difficult as they felt he wasn't an ambitious appointment/style and despite decent results he never recovered. Given similar rumours around SFC the last few months, he’ll need to get the senior group on board fast.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

Luton are my hometown team, second to Saints they're the team I watch the most. JONES IS NOT THE ANSWER! 

Yes, he's worked wonders at Luton but I wouldn't even want him if we were a Championship club. He's just not at the level we require. Lots of passion, shouting and chest thumping but pretty shit football. He was found out when he went to Stoke and I can't see anything other than him being a flop at Saints.

The way he set Luton up in the Derby against Watford two weeks ago was laughable. Final result 4-0. 

This is a suicidal appointment. A massive downgrade on Ralph.

Absolutely livid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is that Luton Dave?

It is mate 👍 

He is well connected there, he told me this morning we'd made an approach and Jones wants the job , unless Saints have approached other clubs at the same time it sounds like this is moving fast. 

His opinion, he's been brilliant for Luton but not sure he's the right man for us. 

58 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Go and tell that to the young mens church association who founded our football club, and we are called the Saints. Actually makes him a good fit 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

It is mate 👍 

He is well connected there, he told me this morning we'd made an approach and Jones wants the job , unless Saints have approached other clubs at the same time it sounds like this is moving fast. 

His opinion, he's been brilliant for Luton but not sure he's the right man for us. 

A fair assessment, he's going to want the job it's a good opportunity for him, i really cant for the life of me see why we'd want him though. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Is anyone else who lived through the horror getting major Branfoot vibes? 

Totally or maybe Sturrock. Either way this has disaster written all over it.. His playing and coaching  career was lower leagues. The guy won't have the respect of the players and fans.  Do 't do it Saints.... please.

I'm not doubting his potential, the guy clearly has something but he'd need to be the type they appoint once relegated. Earn his spurs so to speak.

I'm suddenly feeling warm and fuzzy for Dyche or good old Roy.

• Like 1