Liverpool 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Dman

F**k it, If Leeds can do it, why can’t we grind out a point with a defensive showing to start Jones’ tenure? It would certainly change my underwhelming opinion of him, giving me some glimmer of light for the season restart.

With the prospect of facing a two month break sitting in the relegation zone, would help if Wolves and Nottm Forest get gubbed staying below us and Bournemouth and Leicester follow suit with nothing to keep them all close.

Got a feeling we'll get something out of this. VvD has been holding back all season so he doesn't get a injured for the world cup, I'll be surprised if he even plays this weekend. Obviously Salah is back on form but stick Lycano up his ass and that'll sort him. 

Im going for 1 all.

Anyone notice a trend below? We have only scored 3 goals at Anfield since promotion.

SEASON SCORE SOUTHAMPTON SCORERS
2012-13 Liverpool 1 - 0 Southampton  
2013-14 Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton Lovren
2014-15 Liverpool 2 - 1 Southampton Clyne
2015-16 Liverpool 1 - 1 Southampton Mane
2016-17 Liverpool 0 - 0 Southampton  
2017-18 Liverpool 3 - 0 Southampton  
2018-19 Liverpool 3 - 0 Southampton  
2019-20 Liverpool 4 - 0 Southampton  
2020-21 Liverpool 2 - 0 Southampton  
2021-22 Liverpool 4 - 0 Southampton  

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Anyone notice a trend below? We have only scored 3 goals at Anfield since promotion.

Yeah, but what was the xg in all of those? That’s what really matters 

46 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Put this up in the changing room, we might be able to motivate the players that a good game leads to the promised land of Merseyside. 3 fairly different career trajectories after moving to them there...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint_Ash said:

Got a feeling we'll get something out of this. VvD has been holding back all season so he doesn't get a injured for the world cup, I'll be surprised if he even plays this weekend. Obviously Salah is back on form but stick Lycano up his ass and that'll sort him. 

Im going for 1 all.

Was only saying the other day how ‘relaxed’ VVD has been this season.  Much like when he put in one of the worst performances I’ve seen from anyone in a Saints shirt in a home game v Leicester weeks before he left.

I still despise that absolute cunt.

• Like 1

You forgot this one.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2

They will probably thump us with one of their struggling players doing well and the Liverpool biased media will hail it as the rebirth of their season. 

I just want to see the team put a shift in, be disciplined but still have a go, so aggressive not timid. If they then beat us with their superior ability than so be it.

I'd also maybe go for someone like Djenepo or Edozie and just have him constantly go at TAA, as well as getting JWP to drift into the right hand channel to deliver cross between TAA and the right centre-back, instructing Adams to attack that space. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Despite my reservations, that was a very impressive press conference. I can see a way that this could work out. It might not but its a good start.

I got a Strachan/ Adkins blend kinda vibe. Could be a masterstroke, could be a disaster! #timewilltell

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John D said:

Any chance of a summary of what he said please?

Players have shown the early signs of buying into his ideas

Gutted for Prowsey but will help his prep as he’s an ultimate professional, Prowsey is going to give his all to the new project

Scored very highly on Rasmus’ metrics and appreciates he’s not a big name and it’s a more calculated data driven appointment

Wants to address the clean sheets issue and then build to be an aggressive attacking team

Will review the squad, see if there are underperforming players that he can get more out of but has support to add players. Meeting to be had with board soon.

Gives his all to a football club and is confident he will be a success. When asked about being a good choice for if we went down he wouldn’t entertain relegation and it hasn’t been mentioned during his interview process.

Sure I’ve missed bits, but generally a composed and well managed press conference. But more encouraging.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, John D said:

Any chance of a summary of what he said please?

It was very long and the athletic reporter on twitter has a summary. Wants us to be a front foot aggressive team, was honest about fans possibly having reservations about him. I thought he seemed very authentic and not just giving answers he should say but things he really believes. It was refreshing to get less scripted or moderated comments I thought. I can see parallels between the job he did at Luton and what they want to do with us in the prem. The main thing is if he has time to implement it whilst keeping us up this year. 

• Like 2

Well I'm going tomorrow, 3rd time for me to Anfield. The first time probably around 79 / 80, we woz robbed, and I took a real beating in Stanley Park afterwards (I think most people did that day, there were only a couple of hundred Saints fans there), plus the coach got bricked. Second time was when Shane Long scored the cracker (video above). I'm hoping tomorrow is more like my last visit and not like they first!

I'm also looking forward to see NJ make his mark on the team, after my initial shock I'm really warming to the bloke.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, jawillwill said:

It's like watching the game through a letterbox. If you're tall you probably won't be able to see the whole goal at the opposite end or anything above head height of the players.

Scandalous really that Liverpool rip people off by selling them at the price they do.

Great.... my friend is 6ft 5 and I've not told him yet these are severely restricted 😆

He did wonder why they were £3 cheaper I'm sure if he just logged into his account he could find out.

Free hit this one, put in a committed performance and leaves something to build on.

But... got a sneaky feeling for a point - get into their internationals early and hopefully their thoughts start wandering to the World Cup.

A Stevie Moran moment would do nicely, for those of us that were there that day, it was a 'Longy' kinda moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Croissaint said:

Got two tickets we can’t use if anyone wants them face value?

If you can't sell them fancy giving the location so I could move to those seats as currently expecting to see none of the pitch right from the back :D 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 100%Red&White said:

Free hit this one, put in a committed performance and leaves something to build on.

But... got a sneaky feeling for a point - get into their internationals early and hopefully their thoughts start wandering to the World Cup.

A Stevie Moran moment would do nicely, for those of us that were there that day, it was a 'Longy' kinda moment.

It was even better than the Long moment,  it felt like the only time we got in their half. Katalinic had a blinder 

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Bournemouth. No idea how much he's played or what their fans think of him though.

Jack Stephens has played 2 minutes of PL football for Bournemouth so far (2 * 1 minute appearances). You have to wonder sometimes why clubs take players on loan, especially when they have manager changes. Wouldn't surprise me if his loan gets cancelled by Jones (if that is allowable, it may not be in the PL). If I were Jones I would get all the loan players back if possible, Tella, Smallbone, Synek...

5 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Well I'm going tomorrow, 3rd time for me to Anfield. The first time probably around 79 / 80, we woz robbed, and I took a real beating in Stanley Park afterwards (I think most people did that day, there were only a couple of hundred Saints fans there), plus the coach got bricked. Second time was when Shane Long scored the cracker (video above). I'm hoping tomorrow is more like my last visit and not like they first!

I'm also looking forward to see NJ make his mark on the team, after my initial shock I'm really warming to the bloke.

My 1st time was a 1-1 draw in 1988 .. A Clive foley coach from the saints pub in millbrook .. mick marsh Craig samways etc…dippers were already champions and parading the old div 1 trophy lap of honour before kick off . 
Aldridge scored just after halftime to make it 1-0 then a young rod Wallace scored an absolute screamer from 25 yds cutting in off the right and pinging it past the flailing grobbelar.

glen cockerill could have won for us at the death with his effort from inside the box trickled agonisingly past the upright to grobbelars right.😫

we also had touch on Stanley park with 15-20 dipper skinheads .. which 35/40 saints had the better of.

The semi final Shane long goal was probably the best limbs last few mins winner I’ve ever experienced with saints .the sheer joy and celebrations seemed to go on for ever . Was incredible! 

im fully on board  now with NJ after the shock appointment .. got a feeling we can do summit tomorrow.. 1-2 saints 😮

• Like 3

My initial reaction to his appointment was of huge disappointment, but watching that press conference has changed my opinion somewhat. I think I'm in the 'Unsure' camp now rather than 'No'......he comes across well, likeable, focused and driven.

I think the key is how the players react to him.....I hope he succeeds.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Jack Stephens has played 2 minutes of PL football for Bournemouth so far (2 * 1 minute appearances). You have to wonder sometimes why clubs take players on loan, especially when they have manager changes. Wouldn't surprise me if his loan gets cancelled by Jones (if that is allowable, it may not be in the PL). If I were Jones I would get all the loan players back if possible, Tella, Smallbone, Synek...

He played the full game against Everton in the Cup and my source tells me he played well. Apparently one of their CB’s is suspended tomorrow so he might get another game !

6 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

My 1st time was a 1-1 draw in 1988 .. A Clive foley coach from the saints pub in millbrook .. mick marsh Craig samways etc…dippers were already champions and parading the old div 1 trophy lap of honour before kick off . 
Aldridge scored just after halftime to make it 1-0 then a young rod Wallace scored an absolute screamer from 25 yds cutting in off the right and pinging it past the flailing grobbelar.

glen cockerill could have won for us at the death with his effort from inside the box trickled agonisingly past the upright to grobbelars right.😫

we also had touch on Stanley park with 15-20 dipper skinheads .. which 35/40 saints had the better of.

The semi final Shane long goal was probably the best limbs last few mins winner I’ve ever experienced with saints .the sheer joy and celebrations seemed to go on for ever . Was incredible! 

im fully on board  now with NJ after the shock appointment .. got a feeling we can do summit tomorrow.. 1-2 saints 😮

My70’s trip was on a Foley coach as well!. We were massively outnumbered by those  loveable little scallywag rascals. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

OK, someone's got to do it

it was a happy time for us all bouncing up and down the terraces!

As fate would have it we'll be wearing blue as well tomorrow, right at the end Adams flicks it, Adam Armstrong running through on goal.............

10 hours ago, nta786 said:

Clearly, Liverpool buying Saints players so that Southampton has no one on the roster who can score goals against them has paid off.

Edited by SaintTex

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Interesting 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic