Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 hour ago, sandwichsaint said:

Shall we actually watch the game before we hang the manager?

Can we grab the pitchforks yet?

"Now, if we can start enjoying ourselves and communicating, what a morning we will have." -Nathan Jones 

Edited by St. Ciervo

Elyounnoussi represents everything with our decline. He was considered not good enough and was hauled off on loan. A bad signing, we move on. Except he didn't. He has somehow become 'first name on the teamsheet' despite mediocre to poor performances. He's just as crap as when we shoved him out on loan. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not take the fuckin job for a start

Why? Why would he not? I've yet to see any evidence that he isn't right for the job. Or should he "Do the right thing and resign" lol because that one always makes me laugh.

• Haha 2

It's not that individual errors are the only problem: I simply can't see what the gameplan is.

Do we press? Nope. Sit deep and counter quickly? Nope. Play hell-for-leather and try to outscore? Nope. Kick lumps out of them? Nope.

Can someone with more tactical insight than be help me understand what our gameplan is?

• Like 4

The only thing you could say in Saints defense is that both goals had a freak quality to them. Gazunu would save the first 99/100.  And the second was a freak own goal.  Great cross, but v unlucky tip of the ball onto Perraud's legs.      But our play in possession was only rarely good. Until we get our best players back, we're clearly going to struggle.  I'd bring on Stu for Dalio.      Next goal crucial.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone please advise how Jones could have prevented this? What's he actually supposed to do here?

He's had 40 days with the entire squad minus 2 to get his style, formation, starting XI, tactics sorted out. He's had 40 days to get in plenty of games to find out who is up to the challenge and who isn't.

He then goes and picks a goalie with no confidence, two of the worst 10s I've ever seen, Diallo in a holding role and the pretend player Lyanco as a CB ahead of 2 much better players.

Apart from that he's doing great. He's probably reciting the lords prayer right now. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yeah I'd say 50/50 however since Bazunu is responsible for everything and Perrued can do no wrong ever, I'll give Bazunu the benefit of the doubt.

The goal was one of those things. But when it comes to Perraud, everyone seems to love him on here. I don't get it. He's slow, technically limited, terrible in the air...he tries hard...but that's it. 

• Like 1

That was quite a bit worse than I expected and my expectations were low. Feels like we've rolled the dice with this manager and it hasn't worked. I do wonder what made them go for him. I wonder at what point we'll start preparing for promotion next year instead. Lose the next few and it will be soon. 

• Like 5

So many dreadful performances out there, near on impossible to pick any individual players out. Midfield have been  awful, can’t pass, tackle or break up play. Defence weak and all over the place. Bazunu, the less said the better fml. Edozie the only bright spark in the side and we need to be getting the ball to him constantly. 

Not sure what Jones does to sort out this crap although Diallo (who should have tracked Lallana for the first goal) off for AMN, Djenepo for Stuart Armstrong might sure up the midfield a bit. Should at least make it harder for them to pass it around the middle of the park. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

The only thing you could say in Saints defense is that both goals had a freak quality to them. Gazunu would save the first 99/100.  And the second was a freak own goal.  Great cross, but v unlucky tip of the ball onto Perraud's legs.      But our play in possession was only rarely good. Until we get our best players back, we're clearly going to struggle.  I'd bring on Stu for Dalio.      Next goal crucial.

Sorry buddy but you make your own luck, nothing freak about em just incompetent on our part.

You don’t see us fizzing a ball in like that or getting players in the right positions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That was quite a bit worse than I expected and my expectations were low. Feels like we've rolled the dice with this manager and it hasn't worked. I do wonder what made them go for him. I wonder at what point we'll start preparing for promotion next year instead. Lose the next few and it will be soon. 

We started preparing for it as soon as we appointed this dinlo, unfortunately. Not that I think we’d have any chance of winning promotion under him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isla Wight said:

Awful. Glad I didn’t go today 

Judging by all the empty seats for this ‘sold out’ game you’re not the only one.

That was atrocious, absolutely fucking dogshit. Can’t wait to hear what the happy clapper members of this forum have to say about that as all of our fears appointing this league 1 manager are looking like being bang on the money. Bed wetters they called us. Pricks.

I’m starting to think our Serbian owner is mates with Mandaric and has bought us for a laugh to ruin.

• Like 2

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

He's had 40 days with the entire squad minus 2 to get his style, formation, starting XI, tactics sorted out. He's had 40 days to get in plenty of games to find out who is upn to the challenge and who isn't.

He then goes and picks a goalie with no confidence, two of the worst 10s I've ever seen, Diallo in a holding role and the pretend player Lyanco as a CB ahead of 2 much better players.

Apart from that he's doing great. He's probably reciting the lords prayer right now. 

Oh yeah, I forget he's a Christian isn't he? So once we've done slagging him off for everything else, let's mock his personal beliefs. Which is actually fine tbf but if he was a Muslim you wouldn't have made a similar comment (obviously tailored toward whatever the Islamic version is).

2 and a half games and we've already turned on the manager. One of those one of the toughest grounds in Europe and the other one was an actual win. Are we STILL claiming our fans are anything other than pathetic?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Players aren't fit to wear the shirt. So many dogshite players out there for us as well as a proper shite Championship standard manager. Sports Republic will take us down and try and sign another shite batch of young players next summer. 

I don’t blame Jones entirely but our players are cr4p, truly awful. He’s on a hiding to nothing with this load of snipey bottlers. 

• Like 3

Just now, CB Fry said:

Dyche was managing in Prem while Nathan Jones shit the bed at Stoke City so what's your point?

That either of them would almost certainly take us down, so what’s the point in appointing a short term stop gap, with no real motivation to build a project?

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could someone please advise how Jones could have prevented this? What's he actually supposed to do here?

Organise the team and motivate it, a bit like Ralph did when he arrived? Jones seems to have done the exact opposite. He's got them playing like lower league footballers. They can barely string 2 passes together.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Complete new team required before that becomes an option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

That either of them would almost certainly take us down, so what’s the point in appointing a short term stop gap, with no real motivation to build a project?

Jones wont be here long enough to 'build a project'....

weird point to make

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Oh yeah, I forget he's a Christian isn't he? So once we've done slagging him off for everything else, let's mock his personal beliefs. Which is actually fine tbf but if he was a Muslim you wouldn't have made a similar comment (obviously tailored toward whatever the Islamic version is).

2 and a half games and we've already turned on the manager. One of those one of the toughest grounds in Europe and the other one was an actual win. Are we STILL claiming our fans are anything other than pathetic?

100% that comment would not have been made about another faith. The frothy ones on this forum would go mental.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

That mega fee we were getting for JWP drops each and every game…..and some people still wonder why Southgate didn’t take him to the World Cup? Fkin hell

He's been dreadful. If he was a new signing people would be wandering why he's playing. 

• Like 5

I'm usually optimistic but that was absolutely abysmal. What is our gameplan?

Our midfield is non existant and is getting overrun...

Only highlight is watching the comedy value of Lyanco trying to defend.

Absolute woeful why did we appoint Jones? Lol 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

Jones is shite.

Ask Stoke.

Bloody Luton?

That gets you a job in the Premiership?

I expected this.

Oh well at least I will be able to watch live games on Sky next season!

How did SR decide on this clown? 

A 10 year old could see he's not cut it with teams in the lower leagues. Could this be a money laundering or similar scheme? They will trouser about $80M for ABK and Lavia in Jan. Must be something going on. They might as well just got Garth Crooks in...

2 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Organise the team and motivate it, a bit like Ralph did when he arrived? Jones seems to have done the exact opposite. He's got them playing like lower league footballers. They can barely string 2 passes together.

Did you watch the Newcastle game before he arrived? 

So as predicted Jones has us playing hoof ball with a striker who is about of much of an aerial threat as an old lady in a wheel chair.  Everyone said his style didn’t suit the club/squad and he would be massively out of his depth and low and behold it comes true.  Cheap badly planned option yet again from saints and we must be odds on for the drop now!

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic