Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

12 hours ago, madge said:

Interesting comments from someone quite closely connected to the club… so the reason as to why caleta -car was dropped was due to the fact that he intervened between a bust up between selles and jones last week. This week JWP had a significant disagreement with jones on the training ground… these are rumours but I’ve no reason to doubt where I heard them. If true the training ground must be a lively place to be.  But not sure a manager can stay if true. Perhaps jones comments about doing it his way relate to selles and that fact that SR perhaps are more trusting of selles judgement. 

Maybe that’s how NJ likes it before, I worked for an md who loved conflict amongst his managers, he though it lead to better performances. All it did achieve was higher turnover and resulted in the pool of less talented increasing as they didn’t find it so easy to move on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, derry said:

I'm not a lover of Nathan Jones, Mostly from what I consider to be poor team selection and formations. Over my lifetime there have always managers that were quick with the repartee, especially the great Bill Shankly. Jones cracked a joke and laughed, so what. I'm a fan of Jethro and Max Boyce and find their Welsh and English jokes funny. The comment from Jones was a throwaway after he'd talked about if he'd not been a professional footballer. It seems to me that he has a target on his back from idiots that should know better.  The way the press are trying to crucify him is disgraceful and typical of football journalism.

It’s the world we live in now, TalkSPORT have been massively stirring up against Klopp for the last few weeks, also digging out Pep from time to time.

• Like 1

I don’t believe the training ground bust up rumours and equally didn’t believe the “he’s going today” rumours five or six days ago.

What the forum said to me in my view is that they’ll continue to back him until it’s near enough impossible for us to come back from relegation.

The decision SR have was our “easier” remaining games have all just happened, so now we need to be beating the likes of City (again), Liverpool, Arsenal, etc; and I don’t see that happening.

I’m not going today but it’ll be interesting what team he sticks out.

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

How must the other defenders feel knowing that Bednarek gets brought back and chosen ahead of them every game?

Crazy really.  One of many damning fails racked up by Jones.   He bleats about aggression and front footedness yet plays a relatively passive, well established dud in Bednarek when he has aggression, front footedness (whatever that means) and skill in spades with ABK and DCC.    

• Like 2

13 hours ago, derry said:

I'm not a lover of Nathan Jones, Mostly from what I consider to be poor team selection and formations. Over my lifetime there have always managers that were quick with the repartee, especially the great Bill Shankly. Jones cracked a joke and laughed, so what. I'm a fan of Jethro and Max Boyce and find their Welsh and English jokes funny. The comment from Jones was a throwaway after he'd talked about if he'd not been a professional footballer. It seems to me that he has a target on his back from idiots that should know better.  The way the press are trying to crucify him is disgraceful and typical of football journalism.

Also Twitter has Alfie House,  etc taking snippets out of his interviews to get clickbait. Fans in the main dont listen to the whole interview and the context the comments are made. It is thenew world but sure is pretty sad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, madge said:

Interesting comments from someone quite closely connected to the club… so the reason as to why caleta -car was dropped was due to the fact that he intervened between a bust up between selles and jones last week. This week JWP had a significant disagreement with jones on the training ground… these are rumours but I’ve no reason to doubt where I heard them. If true the training ground must be a lively place to be.  But not sure a manager can stay if true. Perhaps jones comments about doing it his way relate to selles and that fact that SR perhaps are more trusting of selles judgement. 

Shame he didnt lamp that Newcastle player who waved him off, instead of breaking up a fight

• Like 2

14 hours ago, madge said:

With the greatest of respect... if JWP and the manager have a disagreement, there is only going to be one person who the board will side with.

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

With the greatest of respect... if JWP and the manager have a disagreement, there is only going to be one person who the board will side with.

Maybe, maybe not. He has clearly indicated that he’s going to do things his way and if the story about his bust up with Selles is correct (Selles being Rasmus’ poodle) then I suspect he’s ruffled some feathers or worse.  As an example, if Jones decided to drop JWP in favour of one the new guys and as the Manager he has the right to do that, I can imagine JWP, Selles and to a certain extent Rasmus not being best pleased. The exact circumstances of what happened and why, will sit with the loyalties of players to Selles or Jones. Determining DCC’s loyalty is not straightforward, but it will become apparent perhaps when he’s either picked to start or not.

But Rasmus has effectively nailed his colours to the mast now by backing Jones and Jones has accepted publicly that he is fully responsible for HIS team selections, tactics and results. I think we could see some ‘interesting’ team choices today and watch for the body language and comms between Jones and Selles - it could be very revealing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I remember being in the gym with Nathan at Falmer when he was at BHA

In fairness he was dedicated and working like a lunatic to return from injury and blew his top at Leon Knight and Kazim Richard’s for fucking about

Isn’t that a good thing? 

From the horses mouth. JWP “supportive, buys in”. 

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

These people get paid millions. What exactly do you expect? Should be water off a duck's back for any premier league manager

I wasn’t really thinking about injury to Klopps feelings, I just thought he’d have more credit in the bank for what he has achieved for TalkSPORT and others not to spend the last three weeks questioning his future and ability. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I wasn’t really thinking about injury to Klopps feelings, I just thought he’d have more credit in the bank for what he has achieved for TalkSPORT and others not to spend the last three weeks questioning his future and ability. 

Look what happened to Ranieri, somehow won the Premier League with Leicester, sacked about 6 months later. Whoever you are, you’re generally only as good as your last 10 games (unless you’re Ralph, of course).

• Like 2

There is obviously a lot of talk of sacking Nathan Jones - especially if we fail to beat Wolves today; but what will happen if and when the club do finally sack him?

• Will Cohen and Sheehan also get sacked with him?
  • Who will become our manager/coach in the first instance? Selles? Horseman?
  • If Cohen and Sheehan are sacked who will do the coaching until the club replace them?

Obviously there is then the longer term question of who will become permanent manager/coach. Might Selles be an option for that position?

Without wanting this to become a thread that solely discusses that issue, what options are there for our next manager/coach in the short term and long term? Might we take on a chief coach on a short term contract with the sole purpose of rescuing us from relegation? Or would we seek to make a long term appointment straight away?

If we did take on a short term coach, who would be the options for that and who would we as the fans accept/reject? E.g. Would we be happy if the club appointed Pulis as coach to the end of the season? How about Chris Wilder? Allardyce? Steve Bruce?

Finally, of course, there is the question of long term coach. Gallardo? Bielsa? Poch? Koeman? Nuno? Benitez? Matthias Jaissle? Kjetil Knutsen? William Still? Postecoglou? Corberan? Adkins? Hughton? Bob Bradley? Tuchel? John Terry? Steven Gerrard? Frank Lampard? Solskjaer? Or how about Ralph Hassenhuttl? Or Selles?

Would it be realistic to tempt one of the Championship managers who are doing well at the moment and would we want them? FWIW, I suspect they wouldn't be interested!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Personally, I would appoint someone on the understanding that staying up would be extremely difficult, but we will have a real good shot at going back up at the first attempt.

Yeah, someone who has been good in the Championship recently. Not sure who won manager of the year last time but someone of that ilk perhaps?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I see what you mean. I guess that is the world we live in - media clickbait and all that. Just look at some of the headlines the paper come out with in missing persons cases for example - no thought that there are real human beings behind the story, just writing crap to get clicks, likes and looks

• AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones