89 members have voted

1. 1. MotM?

• Nobody
    • NOBODY, BUT IN CAPITALS
    • Niemand, aber auf Deutsch

11 minutes ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Blinkers  FFS ... RH had a handle on the team with his limited resources

SR and NJ have not a clue

How could this now be considered anything but one huge cock up .

I was a fully paid up member of the Ralph fan club and gave him the benefit of the doubt many times, but it was clear in the latter stages of last season that his heart wasn't in it any more, and it was the right time for him to go. Yes, he was hampered by poor decisions from above but it certainly is blinkered not to see he had his own faults too. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Some fans still trying to defend sacking Ralph. Going to have to wear that for a long long while!

Because Ralph was better ? No Ralph was equally inept. Zero shots on target happened with him as well.

I get you obviously have a thing for him but try not to rewrite history.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree fans and players both resigned to relegation now, expecting our crowds to drop whilst we see out the season,  players didn't want to be there tonight, they know its over. 

... and the pain of seeing my monthly payments go out for our season tickets.

On the plus side, it's a grand I'll save by not renewing next season.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Blinkers  FFS ... RH had a handle on the team with his limited resources

SR and NJ have not a clue

How could this now be considered anything but one huge cock up .

Sticking with Ralph for too long was the first big cock up. He is responsible for the position we are in. 

Appointing Nathan Jones was the second big cock up.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Best summed up by the old boy next to me buying some chips after the game saying it was the worst performance he'd seen in 75 years of supporting Saints. Nothing more to add than that really other than I forgot to ask him what he thought of the light show...

I'd say every game we've played with Jones in charge have been dreadful, I thought we couldn't get any worse than the displays v Lincoln and Brighton but we've sunk to a new low today. Jones makes Ralph look like Sir Alex Ferguson!

• Like 10

I’m not one to moan and don’t think I’m entitled to anything as a football fan. I always support the team, the players, the manager.

There was not a time under Ralph that I was particularly worried about relegation. Even through the worst of times we had an identity, you could see patterns of play. They didn’t always work out but you could see the manger doing something with the team.

I never called for Ralph to go as I always felt his teams had a chance in almost any game, just needed a finisher. It changed this season and, still not calling for his head, things looked different with Ralph, like he was defeated and it was probably right to change.

I was really happy with some of the business in the summer, young players with quality from good football backgrounds at big clubs. It was more about who we didn’t sign in the summer! All the clever young players stuff (big fan) but it was so clear that we needed a reliable goal scorer and this team would be ok.

We still have all the same deficiencies we had under Ralph but now they are combined with no team shape, no clear tactics and, after what I saw tonight, no real belief. 

I thought we made a step forward in the Fulham game but after tonight that was just a slightly less poor performance. I feel this loss will make things even harder for us in the transfer market too.

3 points at home against one of the worst teams and likely relegation candidates would have put us in the mix and muddied the waters but any hope there was at 7.30 tonight has been lost. Not true, I still hope.

I know the players need to take some blame but these players beat Chelsea, drew with Arsenal, they can get decent results. 

There have been a number of good examples lately of the massive effect a decent manager can have. These players are not that Shit!

Edited by wooley7
Formatting issues
  • Like 26

1 hour ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Ralph must be laughing his socks off ...He did so well with so little and now we see Southampton FC bare bones and all

He did a great job with no money and crap managment , but he will laughing at whats happened since

I did like Ralph and have a memory long enough to remember the shit shows we used to have after 4 years of Ralph , those that called for him to go have returned the club to the piss poor outfit we used to be ... Well done Guys ..

None of you will of course admit to now not wanting RH

So you remember that Ralph was absolutely awful but you blame fans that SR replaced him with a coach we all knew was awful? 

I don't understand your point other than desperately trying ( and failing) to appear smug.

I wouldn't want Ralph back. I wouldn't want Puel, Pelligrino or any of the utterly inept managers we have had since Koeman and Poch left.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Commentator on Fubo 87th minute-ish: "they've tried that long diagonal 100 times and it hasn't worked once".  

I was shocked at how bad we've been since NJ's arrival. Not so much as a dead cat bounce even. But I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt after the 90th out of 92 statistic...this game was his chance to prove to me that he had a clue, had a plan, could motivate this team and perhaps, if not actually win a game against our nearest relegation rivals, then at least not lose. Doh!

Starting Lyanco (at all) but especially in a back three/five that has been a disaster...no S.Armstrong or Edozie to start - he lost me before the whistle blew even. Primitive diagonal hoofball - who exactly does he think we have that can out-jump defenders a foot taller than them? What exactly did he think was going to happen?

No shots on target in a must win relegation battle says it all. 

Ankersen stand up and be accountable. Jones OUT, tonight. Start the rebuild for the Championship now. No way back from relegation this season I'm afraid and we've totally screwed ourselves in the transfer market.

Tell me, what player in their right mind is going to be inspired by the statement: "You'll get to work with Nathan Jones?"

• Like 7

I was hoping we'd part company with Ralph at the end of last season and sign Sean Dyche who was revered by Burnley fans. I think he'd have kept us up. If he'd come he might just rescue us.

Anyway we'll swap with Burnley in a few months, and my cousin will have bragging rights.

3 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

I was hoping we'd part company with Ralph at the end of last season and sign Sean Dyche who was revered by Burnley fans. I think he'd have kept us up. If he'd come he might just rescue us.

Anyway we'll swap with Burnley in a few months, and my cousin will have bragging rights.

as we can see style dosent suit us, will just get booed if we try a long pass

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Best summed up by the old boy next to me buying some chips after the game saying it was the worst performance he'd seen in 75 years of supporting Saints. Nothing more to add than that really other than I forgot to ask him what he thought of the light show...

Light show was pants in all honesty - but then I’ve been spoilt having seen Genesis live on stage just after they invested in the Vari-light company, who spun concert light shows on their head. ( The Cage at the NEC Arena in 1980something I was searching for an Umbrella because 7 rows from the front “it was pouring down” - very clever)

It’s quite funny folks are shouting down others for saying Ralph must be laughing his head off watching us now (that said I would be laughing with the reported £9m in my bank account and no work stress). But quite honestly watching that tonight with the tools he was given to work with, 90th on that table posted the other day is even more telling.
Because sitting in the Stadium tonight with a great view of the whole pitch, I’m watching a bunch of blokes who have chased the Holy Grail of being a professional footballer in the Premier League from the age of 8 , the simple object of the game is to put a ball in a net against 11 other players, and be paid a bloody fortune for the privilege, yes I wouldn’t last 2 minutes on that pitch given the chance, but comparatively most of them would fall on their arses doing my “simple” job. Professional Footballers have abilities beyond our comprehension, but watching that shit show tonight you just thought perform like that in my world and you are getting rinsed. There is just no drive, application, passion out there, Jonesy has said it, KWP on Solent said it post match “we are just not getting the basics right”, which is pretty crap as the basics are very basic.
Second half we had a few corners, JWP fired in, and every one was headed away before the front post by one of two defenders doubling up - our team was en-masse positioned somewhere closer to Ted Bates statue than JWP and you just thought has not one of you got the nous to come round and cause mischief in front of these 2 buggers repeatedly heading it away. But then in retrospect, was I just watching the team not actually playing for the manager, Prowsey can put a ball on a sixpence, three times he manages to find an opposition head miles away from a Saints player: hmmmmmmm.

I kind of feel sorry for Jones, the hierarchy selected him to replace Ralph, obviously hounded him after he said “No - I’m not ready” in the summer, in the end probably went “ sod it - if it goes tits up my contract pay out sees us comfortable as a family if managed well”. He has done the one thing that Ralph was criticised for since arriving, he has made early substitutions to try and change things, he has gone through the toy box of first team players, but no matter what he does no one seems prepared to seize a chance. Maybe we have reached a watershed where the team has been so pared back over the years through selling on and nothing has been brought in that would have much onward value that we are rightly in our deserved position in the league. With players not capable to do the basic stuff to win a game.

Hey what do I know - I’m just a fat bloke who sits in the stand, who has not learned a thing from watching Saints live before my eyes for 45 years. 

Before the season is out, I would just like to be walking out of the ground without the party in the away end being the soundtrack! 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

5 points off 13th. believe. 

How many games do you think it would take this lot to get 5 points?  How many goals do you think we need to score to secure 5 points?  Massively unrealistic targets for this lot to achieve anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Good point. We just need a ruthless, despotic state to buy into the Nathan Jones masterplan with a takeover and we're saved. Who shall we pitch it to, Kim Jong-un? 

there are enough US owners in the country, thank you

Ralph lost the players and Jones doesn't seem to have found them.

A whole year of relegation form. A new manager should have been installed during the summer when it was plain that's what was needed. I don't blame Jones for this shambles although he is clearly out of his depth. Nope, the blame lies at the top.

We're doomed to relegation.

• Like 3

Reading all the comments above, I think you've all covered most of the negative things that we all agree on, but

analysing the reasons for our downfall is easier than finding quick solutions, but I think some have been overlooked.

The success of the " Koeman years " gave us false hope and the subsequent sale of VvD gave us lots of spending money,

most of which was squandered on sub-standard signings, successive bad management decisions and general poor judgement.

The import of last summer's teenage talents looked promising, but consider also that some of them were either the best talents 

in  poor /or/  relegated clubs in other countries, and promising youngsters that " bigger clubs " considered " surplus / sub-standard ".

and were happy to release.  Even playing a couple of them in a Prem. side would be encouraging, but when half the side are still in

their teens, its clear that the lack of "experienced heads" around them is a major cause for concern, and the failure to sign any

recognised striker has been the main problem for our predicament, and too often left Ché Adams playing alone as a sole striker.

In 18 games so far this season, we have failed to score at all in  6 of them,  and lost 7  games by just a one goal margin

IF we are to survive - not entirely impossible looking back 20-odd years ago to those seasons of "The Great Escape" - but  

(1)  most recent defeats have been put down to poor defending  / errors, but I maintain that the main fault has been the lack of goals,

and not just defenders.  We managed to survive last season - despite conceding the most Prem. goals, - but did score enough

goals to get points - even though many of those were drawn games.   We need experience up front and we need it now.

(2) Get back those experienced players, presently out on loan, and have as many of them available - in case of more injuries.

Jan Bednarek is not the worst CB we've signed in the last five years, and that our own Academy product Nathan Tella is helping

a rapidly-improving  Burnley side to achieve promotion, whilst we are likely to go down is ridiculous in the extreme.

Even Will Smallbone has clocked up some valuable game time, even in a somewhat indifferent Stoke side, and the sight of

Jack Stephens regularly sitting on the Bournemouth bench is ridiculous in the extreme.  All could be vital to our eventual survival.

(3) Relegation and loss of TV income would harm the club (economically), and even a quick promotion back up would mean several

more years of stringent budgeting.   Investment now might avoid the worst situation, but penny-pinching may well prove fatal come May.

Decisions made this month may decide our future - long before the end of the season.

• Confused 2

Che scores that 1-on-1 and it would have been a different game, BUT it's Jones who started and stuck with a back 3/5 despite it consistently and repeatedly not working, it's Jones who picked Lyanco over DCC (despite DCC being our oldest and most experienced CB and experience being something Jones bemoans a lack of), and it's Jones who seems to have decided Elyounoussi is a guaranteed start over Stu Armstrong. So yeah we might have won that had Che scored, but we were set-up to fail from the very start

• Like 4

Last night the writing was on the wall as soon as the Manager's team selection was announced. Three centre backs again, including Lyanco. Elyonoussie and Mara selected. I'm not going to criticise Mara but this was an unfair Hail Mary selection of a young player without the background to cope. Elyonoussie on the other hand is a lightweight who shirks the hard things, tackles, busting a gut, getting in where it matters, determination and lacks sharpness and pace.  Lyanco is hopeless apart from plenty of spirit he has no judgement, poor positional sense, poor in the air, slow on the uptake and gives the ball away costing us goals. 

Finally Che Adams, Chance after chance but misses virtually everything. He bustles about with plenty of effort. His positional awareness is poor. We haven't anyone else to play there. For me he is a bonehead, there is no cleverness evident.

We need to rectify those obvious weaknesses immediately as there are twenty games left. However if the manager can't see that his selections and obsessive three centreback tactics are the problem. Either he changes or he has to go before the Everton game. Sitting on our hands won't cut it.

When one looks at the substitutes it's more of the same. Somebody said bring back Bednarek. He is far better than Lyanco and that isn't difficult. Bring back Tella and Smallbone, they aren't the answer but A Armstrong, Aribo, Djenepo, Walcott, etc, really?.

Solutions, break the bank and try and get Ings back, likely, sadly no. At least two proven goalscorers to play with Adams. A dominant leader preferably a centreback/defensive midfielder. One that takes no prisoners, no matter the age. We only need a couple of seasons.

We can still get out of this. I don't want to hear how Jones was brought up in the tough Welsh Valleys. I want to hear sensible tactics that work with team selections that exclude the problem players. That or just go.

Finally why no Stuart Armstrong? Elyonoussie no comparison.

• Like 1

The task is hopeless now. No amount of wishful thinking will see us survive this debacle and nor should we, we  are collectively terrible.

There are many on here who will never see Saints in the Premier League again. This is what is left of the carcas after death by a thousand cuts, enjoy it before it rots completely.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Light show was pants in all honesty - but then I’ve been spoilt having seen Genesis live on stage just after they invested in the Vari-light company, who spun concert light shows on their head. ( The Cage at the NEC Arena in 1980something I was searching for an Umbrella because 7 rows from the front “it was pouring down” - very clever)

It’s quite funny folks are shouting down others for saying Ralph must be laughing his head off watching us now (that said I would be laughing with the reported £9m in my bank account and no work stress). But quite honestly watching that tonight with the tools he was given to work with, 90th on that table posted the other day is even more telling.
Because sitting in the Stadium tonight with a great view of the whole pitch, I’m watching a bunch of blokes who have chased the Holy Grail of being a professional footballer in the Premier League from the age of 8 , the simple object of the game is to put a ball in a net against 11 other players, and be paid a bloody fortune for the privilege, yes I wouldn’t last 2 minutes on that pitch given the chance, but comparatively most of them would fall on their arses doing my “simple” job. Professional Footballers have abilities beyond our comprehension, but watching that shit show tonight you just thought perform like that in my world and you are getting rinsed. There is just no drive, application, passion out there, Jonesy has said it, KWP on Solent said it post match “we are just not getting the basics right”, which is pretty crap as the basics are very basic.
Second half we had a few corners, JWP fired in, and every one was headed away before the front post by one of two defenders doubling up - our team was en-masse positioned somewhere closer to Ted Bates statue than JWP and you just thought has not one of you got the nous to come round and cause mischief in front of these 2 buggers repeatedly heading it away. But then in retrospect, was I just watching the team not actually playing for the manager, Prowsey can put a ball on a sixpence, three times he manages to find an opposition head miles away from a Saints player: hmmmmmmm.

I kind of feel sorry for Jones, the hierarchy selected him to replace Ralph, obviously hounded him after he said “No - I’m not ready” in the summer, in the end probably went “ sod it - if it goes tits up my contract pay out sees us comfortable as a family if managed well”. He has done the one thing that Ralph was criticised for since arriving, he has made early substitutions to try and change things, he has gone through the toy box of first team players, but no matter what he does no one seems prepared to seize a chance. Maybe we have reached a watershed where the team has been so pared back over the years through selling on and nothing has been brought in that would have much onward value that we are rightly in our deserved position in the league. With players not capable to do the basic stuff to win a game.

Hey what do I know - I’m just a fat bloke who sits in the stand, who has not learned a thing from watching Saints live before my eyes for 45 years. 

Before the season is out, I would just like to be walking out of the ground without the party in the away end being the soundtrack! 

Why do you fell sorry for Jones who is paid a fortune yet his sole tactic appears to be lump the ball 70 yards and expect a small guy to outjump a big guy?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Che scores that 1-on-1 and it would have been a different game, BUT it's Jones who started and stuck with a back 3/5 despite it consistently and repeatedly not working, it's Jones who picked Lyanco over DCC (despite DCC being our oldest and most experienced CB and experience being something Jones bemoans a lack of), and it's Jones who seems to have decided Elyounoussi is a guaranteed start over Stu Armstrong. So yeah we might have won that had Che scored, but we were set-up to fail from the very start

I don’t actually think it would have. We’d have gone into our shell inviting pressure and ultimately still had Lyanco on the pitch making simple 5 year old mistakes and no plan to actually attack other than long ball. 

Under Ralph, at times, we can blame Che for missing chances costing us games as we had spells where we looked okay, just not for 90 minutes. 

Under Jones we don’t even have 5 minutes where we look like scoring. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, warwicksaint said:

Wasn’t there tonight, what was the atmosphere like?

I was in the Kingsland/Northam corner and it was pretty toxic. The support was good until the goal went in - then the crowd turned and started booing negative or hapless play by the team. The end of the game was the worse I've heard since the 'Swing Lowe' game against Derby. May be it was the area of the ground I was in was more vocal and sounded more toxic than other areas - but  most of the Northam and a good element of the Kingsland were singing 'You don't know what you're doing" & 'Sacked in the morning" at the end. It's clear to me that if we don't get rid of Jones now, we are gone. The owners need to know that he has lost the supporters - and I feel we did that last night. The message was clear from the fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the boy from saints said:

I was in the Kingsland/Northam corner and it was pretty toxic. The support was good until the goal went in - then the crowd turned and started booing negative or hapless play by the team. The end of the game was the worse I've heard since the 'Swing Lowe' game against Derby. May be it was the area of the ground I was in was more vocal and sounded more toxic than other areas - but  most of the Northam and a good element of the Kingsland were singing 'You don't know what you're doing" & 'Sacked in the morning" at the end. It's clear to me that if we don't get rid of Jones now, we are gone. The owners need to know that he has lost the supporters - and I feel we did that last night. The message was clear from the fans.

I commented earlier that I didn't think the crowd was as angry as I expected at the end, but then I sit in the Family Stand and was up where you are when the Rupert Lowe stuff was going on. 

Mostly during the game I could just hear Forest fans singing although I did note some of our fans joining in with them when they were having a go at Jones.

In that respect, did he do or say something about Forest when he was Stoke or Luton manager? Their fans went in on him even before the goal so I wondered if he'd pissed them off somehow?

4 minutes ago, the boy from saints said:

I think that several things has got the NJ's and the boards attention not least the crowds reaction and an abysmal performance and defeat.

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t actually think it would have. We’d have gone into our shell inviting pressure and ultimately still had Lyanco on the pitch making simple 5 year old mistakes and no plan to actually attack other than long ball. 

Under Ralph, at times, we can blame Che for missing chances costing us games as we had spells where we looked okay, just not for 90 minutes. 

Under Jones we don’t even have 5 minutes where we look like scoring. 

That was the thing about last night. It wasn't as though we were unlucky in any way. We got exactly what we deserved which was nothing. Playing with three central defenders just left us ineffective in midfield and invited Forest to come at us. It's no wonder then that the action mostly took place in our half of the pitch.

18 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

What was the issue with Nathan Jones & the Forrest fans?  They appeared to start the anti Jones songs even before we did??

When he was appointed a few people I know who follow Championship and League 1 clubs commented that he's incredibly unpopular with opposition fans. Believe it's down to touchline antics and post match comments so presumably there was some history from last season with Forest. 

3 hours ago, derry said:

Last night the writing was on the wall as soon as the Manager's team selection was announced. Three centre backs again, including Lyanco. Elyonoussie and Mara selected. I'm not going to criticise Mara but this was an unfair Hail Mary selection of a young player without the background to cope. Elyonoussie on the other hand is a lightweight who shirks the hard things, tackles, busting a gut, getting in where it matters, determination and lacks sharpness and pace.  Lyanco is hopeless apart from plenty of spirit he has no judgement, poor positional sense, poor in the air, slow on the uptake and gives the ball away costing us goals. 

Finally Che Adams, Chance after chance but misses virtually everything. He bustles about with plenty of effort. His positional awareness is poor. We haven't anyone else to play there. For me he is a bonehead, there is no cleverness evident.

We need to rectify those obvious weaknesses immediately as there are twenty games left. However if the manager can't see that his selections and obsessive three centreback tactics are the problem. Either he changes or he has to go before the Everton game. Sitting on our hands won't cut it.

When one looks at the substitutes it's more of the same. Somebody said bring back Bednarek. He is far better than Lyanco and that isn't difficult. Bring back Tella and Smallbone, they aren't the answer but A Armstrong, Aribo, Djenepo, Walcott, etc, really?.

Solutions, break the bank and try and get Ings back, likely, sadly no. At least two proven goalscorers to play with Adams. A dominant leader preferably a centreback/defensive midfielder. One that takes no prisoners, no matter the age. We only need a couple of seasons.

We can still get out of this. I don't want to hear how Jones was brought up in the tough Welsh Valleys. I want to hear sensible tactics that work with team selections that exclude the problem players. That or just go.

Finally why no Stuart Armstrong? Elyonoussie no comparison.

It's a shame it's come to this but perhaps it'll take something like relegation to get rid of the foreign mercenaries that fills this team and go back to the Academy and youngsters that want to play with pride for a once great club

21 minutes ago, Berkshire Saint said:

When he was appointed a few people I know who follow Championship and League 1 clubs commented that he's incredibly unpopular with opposition fans. Believe it's down to touchline antics and post match comments so presumably there was some history from last season with Forest. 

My Huddersfield mate fucking hates him for some reason. Personally, I don’t think being hated by the opposition is a bad thing, better than having to extract Ralph’s tongue from Klopp & Peps arse every time we went up there.  

The  blokes around me went from moaning whenever Lyanco hit a long ball, to groaning whenever it went backwards or sideways. Personally, I thought we didn’t get it forward quickly enough, and didn’t get enough players or the ball in the mixer enough. We never looked like scoring from a set piece. Why the fuck don’t we try and surprise teams with the second player actually crossing a wide free kick in instead or running past  it for JWP to swing it in. Way too predictable. 

I thought one or 2 hid last night, weren’t brave enough. Didn’t take up decent positions because they didn’t really want to receive the ball and fuck it up. For the same reason we were too frightened to open them up and settled for the easy option. We played the last 10 mins like it was a 0-0, where we didn’t want to make a mistake (until injury time when the keeper made a taken gesture). There wasn’t the mad scrambles and basketball football you should see when chasing the game. We didn’t even throw a centre half up front. Just pass it around and accept our fate. Pathetic 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

11 minutes ago, THEVMAN said:

It's a shame it's come to this but perhaps it'll take something like relegation to get rid of the foreign mercenaries that fills this team and go back to the Academy and youngsters that want to play with pride for a once great club

THEVMAN.... well, there's a blast from the past....! Welcome back to the forum sir :)

10 minutes ago, THEVMAN said:

I can't believe the last few seasons JWP is the only lasting memory of a once brilliant conveyor belt of talent that came from the academy,and now the team is filled with players that the fan base has no connection with 

• Like 3