Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

Pick the right team and go for it.

I would rather go down trying than sitting back and hoping the opposition have an off day.

The team? well that’s why we pay Jones mega money so stop watching previous videos and use common sense by putting all players in the correction position.

I personally would like to put Lavia as a defensive midfielder with Perrard LB and Breen RB. 

• Like 6

If the team were set up with four at the back and players being played in their actual positions, I'd be hopeful of getting something out of this game and 3 points isn't unrealistic.

Unfortunately, with the clueless prick we've got in charge, we can expect 5 at the back, Ely and Walcott starting in a midfield that gets overrun, a flurry of changes being made after they've scored twice and zero points. 

Jones is so obviously and palpably out of his depth that it's embarrassing. Get him out now and give us a cat in hell's chance of staying up.

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 4

We now have a really bloated squad and a manager who is out of his depth.  Can't see him being able to get this lot organised to stay up in the same way that Eddie Howe managed at Newcastle last season.  Think that we are going down and the summer is going to be carnage as lots of players then leave.

• Like 4

My word all the perpetual negative whingers are out in force this morning.

60 million spent with some exciting statistics to back them up.

7 of our losses this season have been by one goal, 5 of those as we couldn't score one goal. It is true that it is fine margins.

It wont take much to change those into wins. We can start on Saturday.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Nolan said:

7 of our losses this season have been by one goal, 5 of those as we couldn't score one goal. It is true that it is fine margins.

The new players won't be in the mix though I wouldn't have thought, they're both still waiting for Visa's and haven't even trained with us yet. So I expect much of the same against Brentford with Elyounoussi putting in a diasterclass of how not to be an attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

With the greatest respect to Jones, i cannot abide managers that throw cup semi finals. Absolutely unacceptable - Will take while to forgive him for that, even if i can see what he's trying to do generally with the side.

But regardless, I suspect we'll comfortably lose this next game and probably see a limited debut from both the new signings.

Edited by Saint86

3-5-2 whith lyanco at centre half and the new big man upfront trying to pull the ball down from the heavens every two minutes, Jones finally has his target man so expect full on hoof ball, we will go two down then revert to a back four and play the ball sensibly and suddenly look much better rinse and repeat until Jones is sacked of someone beats some sense into him (note I'm not actually advocating someone beats him it's a figure of speach!) as clearly he is incapable of learning from direct experience!

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The new players won't be in the mix though I wouldn't have thought, they're both still waiting for Visa's and haven't even trained with us yet. So I expect much of the same against Brentford with Elyounoussi putting in a diasterclass of how not to be an attacking midfielder.

Unless, of course, you're NJ mate and you walk straight into the team for the biggest match of your life and look like a rabbit caught in headlights. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Seems a bit weird to single out Elyounoussi when he didn’t play a minute in that shit show last night, and actually most of his recent game time has been in periods when we’ve looked like we might have a chance of scoring. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

With the greatest respect, that tosser of a manager will likely have us lose this game

what is the bet we go toe-to-toe with them and play 3 at the back, or a line up with Lyanco or Salisu at fullback.

Jones out 

Looking forward to being relegated to get rid of the likes of you when you switch to Chelsea or something

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Pick the right team and go for it.

I would rather go down trying than sitting back and hoping the opposition have an off day.

The team? well that’s why we pay Jones mega money so stop watching previous videos and use common sense by putting all players in the correction position.

I personally would like to put Lavia as a defensive midfielder with Perrard LB and Breen RB. 

It's rumoured that one of my neighbours pays a young lady for this

• Haha 1

Currently got absolutely no expectation but I'm sure I'll talk myself into it by Saturday, where I'll be in Norway at the time so I can at least distract myself from watching (probably won't, but). 

Bazunu
Bree - DCC - Salisu - Perraud
JWP - Lavia - Alcaraz
Edozie - Che - Orsic

Subs: Caballero, Lyanco, Bednarek, Diallo, Aribo, Elyounoussi, Sulemana, Onuachu, Mara

Salisu was absolutely garbage yesterday so I wouldn't (can't believe I'm saying this) be opposed to Bednarek, the issue with that is you will not see a slower CB pairing in the history of the Premier League. Lineup is also obviously assuming that KWP is missing this one.

The wing options are a little bit up in the air at the moment... wouldn't ever be surprised to see him start Elyounoussi and you can't really justify a spot for Orsic based on what he's done so far, it's just a hope that he can be better than he's shown, whereas we already know Moi's level. Could see any of Edozie, Orsic, Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Aribo or Sulemana (if ready) taking the two spots, providing he isn't a twat and reverts to the formation we tend to look okay in.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nolan said:

True that. Replace the clueless muppet of a manager with someone competent. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

True that. Replace the clueless muppet of a manager with someone competent. 

I’m staggered by the negativity towards our own team on this forum.

we have a new manager who will be here until at least the end of the season, why don’t we just support (him and) the team and give them as much energy to go out and do what we all want them to do, win as many games as possible and not be relegated.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, supergoose said:

I like your positivity.

He’s fucking miserable. But ironically he’s probably right…

Brentford will be really tough.
If we don’t take six or seven points this month then I think that will be curtains for us. 
January and February were out more “winnable” games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BUT, we need to take the game to Brentford, and actually I think we will, it’ll be very tight! 

As said above, fine margins make a difference, someone to create and finish we have brought in, let’s take it to them! 💪🏻

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

Maybe he needs reminding…”Nathan Jones, your football is shit”

He’ll probably pick 5 at the back, and probably play Lyanco and Bednarek. 

I’d go:

Bazunu; KWP DCC Salisu Perraud; JWP Lavia Alcaraz; Edozie Adams Sulemena

Bree RB if KWP out. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

Can’t see kwp being right, no point risking a major hamstring injury. Haven’t seen enough of Bree defensively so i’d Opt for lyanco at rb and versatility and extra aerial ability another cb gives us. Equally while I hope we get to see both new signings it is probably pushing it to throw them in from the start. Going to be a tough game against a good team, hopefully we can sneak a draw.

Bazanu, Lyanco, DCC, Salisu, perraud, Diallo, Lavia, jwp, edozie, orsic, Adams.

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You’ll blame Ely even if he isn’t picked

I’d hope to see something like this:

Baz

Bree/KWP  DCC  Salisu   Perraud/KWP

Lavia    Alcaraz

Edozie         JWP            Orsic    
                     Adams/Mara

I really can’t be sure what’s coming though. Can’t see Lyanco being dropped even though I think he should. Suspect Armstrong will start for his pace and work rate which I don’t mind. Alcaraz or Diallo? I don’t really mind but Alcaraz is clearly the better footballer so let’s play him and get him used to the league. Adams just scored so let’s hope he finds a little run of goals and we can always whip big Paul on later.

If KWP is fit I would consider going with something a little bit different, assuming neither of our new players are ready to start just yet:

Bazunu

Bree           ABK           DCC         Perraud

Lavia

JWP              Alcaraz

KWP                                              Edozie

Adams/Mara

If KWP is not fit and assuming S. Armstrong is also not fit yet, I would move Edozie across and play one of Djenepo, Armstrong or Elyounoussi as the other winger (but S.Armstrong if he is fit!). I have no real preference between them: Djenepo has more flair to go past players but zero ability to make the right decisions or to make a telling pass, Elyounoussi has limited flair or ability but does work hard and similar can be said for Armstrong.

In terms of subs, I would probably go with Caballero, Salisu, Orsic, Sulemana, Onuachu, Djenepo, Mara/Adams, Ballard and Diallo assuming the new signings are fit enough to be on the bench.

10 hours ago, polegategavin said:

I’m staggered by the negativity towards our own team on this forum.

we have a new manager who will be here until at least the end of the season, why don’t we just support (him and) the team and give them as much energy to go out and do what we all want them to do, win as many games as possible and not be relegated.

Depressing isn't it.

• Like 1

We’ll put out a terrified young goalkeeper behind a load of random players playing in random positions in a series of ever-changing formations, none of which they understand or have been properly coached in. The manager will shout and scowl on the touchline and bite his nails and pick his nose a lot, and huddle round an ipad nodding while Chris Cohen points at things. We’ll go 2-0 down, and then with the game lost and them sitting back we’ll put a half decent passing move together in the 83rd minute and the manager will say in his post match interview that that’s evidence that we’re “so, so close”. We’ll still be stone bottom Saturday night, with another game wasted. 

I’d imagine. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

We’ll put out a terrified young goalkeeper behind a load of random players playing in random positions in a series of ever-changing formations, none of which they understand or have been properly coached in. The manager will shout and scowl on the touchline and bite his nails and pick his nose a lot, and huddle round an ipad nodding while Chris Cohen points at things. We’ll go 2-0 down, and then with the game lost and them sitting back we’ll put a half decent passing move together in the 83rd minute and the manager will say in his post match interview that that’s evidence that we’re “so, so close”. We’ll still be stone bottom Saturday night, with another game wasted. 

I’d imagine. 

Damn I was going on Saturday but it looks like we are going to lose 2 nil according to you.

Actually I know the feeling and I just hope Jones sets it up properly and has a go.

• Like 1

Not feeling confident at all, expect a similar game to Villa at home where we end up losing 1-0 , frustrating near miss or VAR decision. 

Why isn't Ivan Toney suspended yet?

There's rugby at Twickenham Saturday afternoon so expect trains , roads, pubs to be a bit busier than usual   

Edited by JRM

One thing is crystal clear - Lavia must play every minute possible. He was in a different class when he came on against Newcastle - as good if not better than Bruno Guimaeras. He is crucial to us and it's a fine line between wrapping him up in cotton wool and getting the game time out of him that we need. This team without him is night and day because he is one of those players who knits everything together and makes the game flow. Among all the superb stuff he did he also played that defence splitting pass through to AA to give him a one on one.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 4

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic