Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

4 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

What a result that is for us. So what if Bournemouth and Everton won, if we’re going to get out of this by some miracle we’re going to have to do it ourselves and not worry about what the teams around us our doing. Besides other results have dragged wolves and Leeds well and truly into the mix now.

I'd add Forest and Leicester to that list. Going to get very scrappy down the bottom.

Fantastic result overall.  

We must address the elephant in the room, lack of goals from open play.  Early days I know but I'm not sure Big Paul is the answer there, although he was doing a decent job of holding up the ball and is some target man.  

• Like 2

This morning I was optimistic for a change. I fancied a pointy or maybe even a win. 

Took one look at the team and thought, ahhh bollocks. That's another defeat. 

Absolutely amazed at the result and delighted l. Got to feel for the lads that they're still bottom after that result. Same as after beating Everton. A huge win and still didn't get us off the bottom. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought Bednarek had a solid game. To be honest our CBs weren't exposed much, so had relatively easy games. AMN is too casual for me. He wasn't terrible, but not sure I agree with you that he did very well. Did OK. No more.

Agree with you on the subs. Onuachu's fitness is woeful. He only just made 45 minutes. The same as last week. Thus week Selles took him off before conceding. We still struggled though when we made the triple sub. Chelsea stepped up a gear and were were ragged. The three guys worked hard though and that may have made the difference.

I think ABK returning had a major impact. His pace is so valuable.

2 things he's a fucking mountain in a pressing system now and secondly he fights with CBs for every ball, like wrestling which is even more tiring so to be honest give me 60mins of paul from today and then either che or sekou for the rest of the season I will take that all day. 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Nathan Jones just interviewed and said the win today was 100% down to him because he taught Selles all he knows. Also said he saw himself in today's team. IN TERMS OF STUFF.

Crucial suffix added IN CAPS.

Edited by stknowle
  • Haha 1

What a result that was, unbelievable effort. The first half was so, so good from us - we controlled the game I felt, Chelsea didn't really have a great deal of openings and we looked the more dangerous. For about 40mins Tall Paul was winning everything and I'll take back what I said about his touch, it was amazing - he gave us such an outlet and allowed us to move up the pitch so we weren't camped in our half. Sullemana was a bit quiet I felt, he didn't quite get into the game today but carried a threat. 

Really enjoyed Lavia's performance, especially first half. His manipulation and control of the ball, for an 18/19 year old, up against CL players is just something to behold. Unreal talent, is clearly going to the 'elite' level of the game sooner rather than later.

Second half Chelsea probed a bit more, but I expected that. We held firm and our shape was basic but solid, everyone knew their jobs and stuck to their jobs. It's a bit of a worry that Tall Paul can't seem to hack more than 50/60mins, but hopefully some conditioning over the coming months will increase his levels. But even so, 40mins of him is better than none at all.

The biggest takeaway from today is that we went back to basics, that's not talking down our performance which was great, but we didn't overcomplicate anything in terms of tactics, shapes, triggers etc - it was just basic shapes, basic communication and everyone knew exactly what they needed to do. Executed brilliantly. 

People will look at the other results today and maybe feel a bit deflated (Bournemouth/Everton etc), but that just hammers home the importance of this result - imagine had we not got the 3 points! Hope in football is underrated and it feels like we have hope again. We'd flatlined after Wolves, but it looks like there is a very faint pulse again.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

This morning I was optimistic for a change. I fancied a pointy or maybe even a win. 

Took one look at the team and thought, ahhh bollocks. That's another defeat. 

Absolutely amazed at the result and delighted l. Got to feel for the lads that they're still bottom after that result. Same as after beating Everton. A huge win and still didn't get us off the bottom. 

Exactly this. We've got a knack of getting results against Chelsea, but when I saw the teamsheet, I thought it was same shit, different day. WTF do we know anyway?!?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

2 things he's a fucking mountain in a pressing system now and secondly he fights with CBs for every ball, like wrestling which is even more tiring so to be honest give me 60mins of paul from today and then either che or sekou for the rest of the season I will take that all day. 

OK, but he's not pressing very hard. He's not busting a gut to close players down. A light jog every now and then at best. I don't understand why he's out on his feet after 40 minutes. His fitness is poor, which is a shame, because his first half today was great and we need at least 60 minutes from him. We aren't really even getting that so far. Encouraging performance though. Looked a million miles better than last week. Hopefully he can continue that and it wasn't just lightweight Chelsea defending.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I said in the match thread, he looked absolutely gassed after about 40 minutes. I know some players sweat more than others but his shirt was absolutely drenched.

He gives us an outlet we we don’t have otherwise though. And ‘he’s got good feet for a big man’. But getting much more than 45 minutes out of him will be a bonus, so we’ll need a rotation policy. I liked him today, get some proper service to him in dangerous areas and he’ll be a proper handful.

• Like 4

S'cuse me...did we just win a game of football?! Did we just get a clean sheet?! Have we entered a parallel universe?

Unbelievable gritty performance - all credit to Selles and the players. Bazunu was great today. We rode our luck but determined defending from Perraud and AMN. ABK good, great free kick goal, tal Paul really good at hold-up play, him and Suleman look a good combo up front although Suleman a little off today. Stuart Armstrong, we missed you. Still don't understand how Elyounoussi gets a start ahead of others. Where are Caleta-Car and Orsic?

Only classic Saints is the second time we win and still don't move off the bottom - not complaining though.

Oh...and no credit to the board - they would have had bloomin' Marsch in charge for that - Selles was a default no-decision when clearly he should have had the backing from the outset.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Dum spiro spero 

Well, I was doing some pretty heavy spiroing in that last 12 minutes of injury time!

Desperate defending somebody said, but they were _all_ putting the effort in, and at the end defending from the front. If only Moi had more than one pace, and no tendency to misplace passes when it mattered. AMN looked a bit better too, although careless at times. The substitutions were all unsurprising given the levels of fitness of the players substituted but it was good to see Lavia getting more of the game this time. Some of his turns and bursts of acceleration in the first half were luscious.

I don't think there was any doubt about the players playing for the manager, and that will be half the battle in the games to come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Fantastic result overall.  

We must address the elephant in the room, lack of goals from open play.  Early days I know but I'm not sure Big Paul is the answer there, although he was doing a decent job of holding up the ball and is some target man.  

Whilst what you say is quite correct, this is a topic for Monday. Right now let’s rejoice in the win - goodness knows we’ve seen few of those.

• Like 2

Just now, Kingsland Codger said:

Whilst what you say is quite correct, this is a topic for Monday. Right now let’s rejoice in the win - goodness knows we’ve seen few of those.

Fair enough.  And I'll look forward to MOTD tonight for the first time in what feels like a century.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

OK, but he's not pressing very hard. He's not busting a gut to close players down. A light jog every now and then at best. I don't understand why he's out on his feet after 40 minutes. His fitness is poor, which is a shame, because his first half today was great and we need at least 60 minutes from him. We aren't really even getting that so far. Encouraging performance though. Looked a million miles better than last week. Hopefully he can continue that and it wasn't just lightweight Chelsea defending.

big paul still had the energy at full time hahaha

• Like 10

First of all I hope Azpi is OK?

I've just seen the Selles post match  interview on the TV.....brilliant interview

It seems the players are REALLY behind him as well judging by the reaction in front of the away support

We need to give him the job right now 

• Like 1

Just now, The Cat said:

Are we allowed to discuss how good our League 1 standard keeper was today?

Excellent at claiming crosses, solid saves, extremely comfortable on the ball, great distribution.

Quite rightly had his name sung a good few times in the ground.

Best game for us IMO.

I felt he had a bit of a flap at his first save, ended up giving away a corner when he should’ve held it IMO. After that he was solid, and when he was beaten he had his defence to help him out. 

• Like 4

Just now, st alex said:

Did we make 6 subs (according to BBC we did)? I thought the limit was 5? Am I missing something?

Chelsea had a concussion sub, which means the opposition also get that extra sub for fairness. I didn't realise that was a thing until today to be fair!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t I often do this but this evening I am enjoying a celebration beer. I bought these last year from The Powder Monkey down at Priddy’s Hard, Gosport. The observant amongst you will notice that it has a strength of 7.4%. Let’s hope I can stay awake for MOTD

124B214D-592A-4F47-AB55-E2D843A90A2C.jpeg

Monkey piss ?

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Are we allowed to discuss how good our League 1 standard keeper was today?

Excellent at claiming crosses, solid saves, extremely comfortable on the ball, great distribution.

Quite rightly had his name sung a good few times in the ground.

Of course we are allowed! You're right, he's been absolutely woeful this season - the board partly to blame for throwing in a youngster too early - but today he was really impressive. Keep it up please Gavin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I thought everyone was fit aside from Adams and Livramento?

Selles can’t want the job that much by picking that squad.

Bednarek? AMN? Alcaraz only on the bench? No DCC? What must Orsic be thinking too?

Selles out. 😂

But not before he wins me some more money by allowing chelsea to score a few goals.

This aged well.

Forgive me, Ruben 😂

Wow, who was expecting that!?!