Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

Dead lucky there - Bazunu is a liability though. Hardly anything to do all game but still contrives to get involved and nearly gift them a goal.
Playing with Moi is like going down to 10 men and Bednarek still a massive accident waiting to happen with a poisonous attitude to boot.

On the plus side, Alvarez and Walcott did enough to suggest a move towards redemption after Grimsby, but that'll be a long journey. 

United is a write off/free hit so let's just try to avoid a spanking and concentrate on improving 100% as we'll need something at home to a very good Brentford side, that I have have no doubt Ivan Toney will still be a part of.

Still think this thoroughly dislikeable Saints side are going down, and might not get another win.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint
sp
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Dead lucky there - Bazunu is a liability though. Hardly anything to do all game but still contrives to get involved and nearly gift them a goal.
Playing with Moi is like going down to 10 men and Bednarek still a massive accident waiting to happen with a poisonous attitude to boot.

On the plus side, Alvarez and Walcott did enough to suggest a move towards redemption after Grimsby, but that'll be a long journey. 

United is a write off/free hit so let's just try to avoid a spanking and concentrate on improving 100% as we'll need something at home to a very good Brentford side, that I have have no doubt Ivan Toney will still be a part of.

Still think this throughly dislikeable Saints side are going down, and might not get another win.

Don't understand dislikeable. Is it just because they have lost a lot lately? I feel I don't know them well, so many new faces at once. I never used to think 'now who is that?' but I don't dislike any of them, well, Bednarek has made himself a bit of a problem but its a sad thing to write the lot off as dislikeable, they are ours   

• Like 8

Encouraging that we showed more creativity first half than of late, and equally concerning at how our performance dropped second half.

Credit to our back four who look a good unit.  It seems bizarre to criticise the keeper after conceding one goal in three league games, but he really doesn’t inspire confidence.  Fully appreciate he is young and it is his first season, but his selection is stretching loyalty and patience to the limit.

Six points separate the bottom nine teams!

Edited by Forester

15 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Still think this thoroughly dislikeable Saints side are going down, and might not get another win.

His name is Alcaraz, not Alvarez.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

Encouraging that we showed more creativity first half than of late, and equally concerning at how our performance dropped second half. 

The problem here is that we've burned ourselves out usually by the 55-60 min mark, and the drop off in quality on the bench is horrendous. Any team that is forced to bring on players like AA and Moi due to lack of other options is always going to show a huge dip in performance as a result. I look at the other teams in the PL and I can't think of a single one where those two players would ever get game time, let alone regularly.

Thank goodness today we managed to get a lead to hold onto before needing to make those changes.

• Like 3

Those 3 points will be remembered long after that performance is forgotten.

Leicester were poor, marginally more than Saints, but in the EPL those are the tight margins you survive by.

Alcaraz and Walcot were stand outs for me, but to be fair Bendarek had a good game as well.

In contrast Elyounoussi struggled to cope with the pace of the game, and Adam Armstrong had another game to forget.

The subs were very strange. When Alcaraz went off, just after half time, then Stuart Armstrong was the obvious replacement. Like for like.

Walcot could have stayed on, he would have coped, and just replace a tiring Adams with Onuachu or Mara. I think these frequent multi sub changes mess things up.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

This totally. Can anyone explain to me how it helps to boo our players when their name is announced or they come on as sub? All it can do is unnerve the player and rattle the others. All of which makes the job of winning harder. 

Totally. Last week, Leeds fans got right behind their team even though they hadn't won at home in months. Didn't hear them booing players when their names were read out. 

Get behind the team for the 90 minutes, moan at the end if you want.

• Like 8

First half I thought we were pretty good, still weak at the back and rode luck but the front 6 looked better than for weeks.  Poor pen by JWP but great goal /assist by Alcaraz and Che.  Thought Theo did well also and surprised he got taken off so early.  Sulemana seemed to take a step forward by a lot still to do re end product.  His pace terrified them.

Second half was pretty poor, losing Alcaraz unfortunate but all the subs made us worse maybe aside from Stu at the end.  Ely really bad on the ball and AA…. I get he presses well but we used to bring Long on with 10 to go to do that.  

Lavia great til he tired, similar KWP.  JWP and AMN 7 out of 10s - same for the CBs 

Baz, he just looks lost.  

Amazing given how utterly shit we have been we are back in the mix - really only need a short run of form and could escape.  Unfortunately I don’t know if the team have it in them but let’s at least keep the starting 11 for now. 

• Like 1

Something that worries me is if we should manage to stay up, are SR going to pat themselves on the back and think everything is rosy or are they going to ship out the driftwood and strengthen the squad. Still not convinced Selles is the answer either. We were poor today but rode our luck.

Lavia clearly a class player. I don’t understand why if you have a solid ball playing midfield of jwp, lavia and Alcaraz they are not given more of the ball and it is about maximising the pass completion of the 2 CBs and GK. should be trying to dominate the midfield in possession. 

Not able to cut out crosses makes the ability for defenders to mark and win headers, and the GK to be well positioned, a gamble. 

watching bednerek live you see how often he goes with his wrong foot. A premier league defender should be able to use both feet. 

Edited by tpv01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Forester said:

Credit to our back four who look a good unit.  It seems bizarre to criticise the keeper after conceding one goal in three league games, but he really doesn’t inspire confidence.  Fully appreciate he is young and it is his first season, but his selection is stretching loyalty and patience to the limit.

Six points separate the bottom nine teams!

I think Alcaraz was involved in most of our good play in the first half so his early departure due to a self-inflicted injury meant we lost that impetus because Moi was not a worthy replacement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Selles comments on Lavia resonated with me during that second half showing. Probably should/could have called out JWP as well. In games like that, especially the second half, you absolutely need one of your midfielders to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get you some possession. Not helped by the attacking players obviously but both of those so sloppy on the ball and if you want to play for a top team then you need to show you can wrestle control of games back. 

JWP had one of his worst games for saints in a while. Maybe the recent form and grimsby result has got his head wondering what he's doing with saints, maybe it was just the early penalty miss messing win his head, but he almost dropped us in it with that foul late on. Hopefully a one off! 

Lavia was poor, no two ways about it. The guy has got a lot of ability and potential, but he's not showing what he can do enough! Maybe one with his eyes on his next move and see saints as a transitory stop? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Overall the feeling coming away was relief that Ineacho missed so many presentable chances

Keeps us in the hunt at least i suppose

Bazanu: 5 sorry(superman misses the ball at the end and the fluff kick)

AMN: 8, excellent, looks he may be a Fb not the CM he wants to be

KWP: 8; standard KWP fare

ABK: 8, once got caught out and still recovered

Bedanrek: 6, reasonably solid, there were still dodgy moments though

Lavia: 7 better in first half i thought but still good

JWP; 7, despite missed penalty thought be had a decent game. Showed common sense taking Maddison down late whilst Moi mucked about

Alcaraz: 7. One of the few players i actually feel confident about when they have a chance

Walcott: 6, ok put himself about. When the moment came to shoot was awful though

Sulemena: 6, everytime i look at him i think we spent 22M on a guy with a bit of pace who can't shoot rather than recall nathan tella.

Adams: 7, a solid adams game. He's an excellent link up player despite his other falws as evidenced by the goal

Subs:

A.Armstrong, 1. Played worse than wednesday. How he was called upon after wednesday was bizarre. Only half decent thing i saw him do was hack maddison

Mara: 6, like always mara has flashes where you go there is a player in there. Still surprised we didn't use Onachu's aerial ability instead

Moi; 6, Reminds me of me. All discipline and hard work and no talent. Worked today because we were 1-0 up but wont work most times

S.Armstrong: 6, A experienced head to calm things down

Please elaborate on the dodgy moments? 

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

JWP had one of his worst games for saints in a while. Maybe the recent form and grimsby result has got his head wondering what he's doing with saints, maybe it was just the early penalty miss messing win his head, but he almost dropped us in it with that foul late on. Hopefully a one off! 

Lavia was poor, no two ways about it. The guy has got a lot of ability and potential, but he's not showing what he can do enough! Maybe one with his eyes on his next move and see saints as a transitory stop? 

I saw this very differently. Whilst the pen was poor, I really liked JWP reaction - his head didn’t drop and he and the team used that miss to galvanise them on to our best period. I thought he and Lavia were excellent today defensively, they shielded the back line, broke up play, kept possession, competed and Leicester had no shots on target. 
This was even more evident in the second half when we had Elynoussi, Mara, Armstrong*2 offering zero threat upfront and unable to hold the ball up.

the pair of them must be utterly knackered (so I understand the free kick you cite - which was caused by Elynoussi getting totally done by their player) but they did a great job for me

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Love the way there is NO mention on the thread of KWP's ridiculous back pass played at full pace & bouncing!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Love the way there is NO mention on the thread of KWP's ridiculous back pass played at full pace & bouncing!!!

Was this meant to go back to the keeper unchallenged because the game had been stopped for an injury? It looked that way from my seat. It was clearly not communicated like that to all the players on both teams and could have been another Rangers situation. Our players seemed to be complaining to the Leicester players after. I’m not sure it’s even a chance for that reason but motd and sky seem to keep replaying it. 

Definitely a shame to hear the boos when Elyounoussi came on, he’s nowhere near good enough but I will never question his effort. I can’t quite see what good people think that’d do.

Touched the ball 25 times when he came on and gave the ball away with 11 of them, however. He doesn’t help us control a game we’re leading and he will never be key to getting us back into one we’re not. Glad to see him out the starting 11 today, at least.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ve been a regular critic of Bednarek lately but he was less of a liability today. A couple of moments when he could have shown a bit more composure but understandably it was safety first and get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

Yeah, but he moves like a striker in our own box, searching out space instead of opponents, in order to hide away from responsibilty. He will cost us more points than he helps us win come the end of the season.

• Like 2

Very nervous start but got better after penalty miss. Lots of hoofing though. The build up to and the goal were superb. Best game for Walcott who worked extremeley hard at the back too/ Moi simply jogged about with not a care in the world it seemed to me.

Anyway we won and can have an enjoyable weekend for some while.

Anyone else think the fans were pretty poor today.

Firstly there was all the agitation when the keeper was looking for a short pass rather than booting it long. Ok it was taking a long time and it was 0-0 but surely that was tactical and shortening the game time was a sensible part of our strategy. The agitation in the crowd was the last thing we needed. 

Then when we do take the lead a large chunk of the crowd starts singing “how shit must you be, we’re winning at home”. That is really going to inspire confidence in the team - maybe save that one until we are certain to go down and we can all laugh along at the hilarity of it. 

We were very lucky today, but that is now 6 points from 3 games under Selles. 

Somehow, despite the Jones debacle, we are still in this. We are going to need the crowd right behind us to stay in it. 

• Like 13

Went to the game.

positives.

- settled back 4, Bednarek had a good game, Maitland Niles has had a few good performances in a row now. Bednarek/ABK partnership looks decent.

- Alcaraz is a great signing. Improves us massively, workrate, can pick a pass, can finish.

- midfield 3 of JWP, Lavia and Alcaraz is very strong 

- Theo/Che and Alcaraz pressing/workrate set the tone.

- 2 clean sheets in 3 of Selles premier league games, in fact on conceding 1 goal in 3 games.

negatives 

- Moi/Mara/Armstrong subs had a negative impact, especially Mara/Armstrong. We were pressing as a unit with Theo/Che/Alcaraz and it was working, Mara/Armstrong and Moi pressed individually and Leicester were able to play through it with relative ease.

im all for subs at 60 minutes to maintain the tempo of the press, I get it, but the front two especially didn’t maintain that tempo and looked off the pace compared to Theo/Che.

- Bazunu nearly cost us the points twice today, a few more mistakes and his careers over here, I’d take him out the firing line and rebuild his confidence in training/behind close doors games.

- not yet convinced by Sulemana, few flashes of excitement, but need to utilise his pace more, plenty of chances to drop the ball in behind

- first 25 minutes we were paralysed by fear, players looked really reluctant to play anything other than a safe 4 yard ball, which resulted in the ball going back more times than it went forward. Wins will hopefully change that and we’ll get more creative 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Please elaborate on the dodgy moments? 

A number of his 'clearances' to safety went straight up whilst he just retreated with a 'job done' look on his face ensuring the resulting moon landing was someone else's problem.

Ducking in front of their attackers giving him a free header at goal.

Consistently being two yards deeper than all our other defenders giving their forwards more space and keeping them on side.

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

A number of his 'clearances' to safety went straight up whilst he just retreated with a 'job done' look on his face ensuring the resulting moon landing was someone else's problem.

Ducking in front of their attackers giving him a free header at goal.

Consistently being two yards deeper than all our other defenders giving their forwards more space and keeping them on side.

I’m sorry but this just sums up where people happily slag off the obvious candidates and give the favourites a free pass. Bednarek has been poor on a number of occasions and is not a great defender but yesterday was not one of those days.

Both free headers they had were on ABKs side, not Jan’s. Unless he was 9 feet tall he couldn’t possibly have dealt with them. There were 3 dodgy clearances that looked rush, one was his fault. For the other two he clearly shot ABK a look to say “where was my shout”? He doesn’t know he has more time if no one tells him and clearly you can’t take a risk.

I suspect it’s precisely this lack of communication from others that’s the reason Jan’s in the team. The others might be better defenders but none of them talk.

Your last comment simply never happened yesterday.

On the theme of boo boys, why is Bazunu getting sh1t? A dreadful clearance but from a terrible fired-in ball from KWP and shouldn’t have been pressed by Maddison cause we were getting the ball back. The “flap” at the end probably helped - did more to put their guy off than AMN who was meant to be marking him but turned his back and lost him.

Hes not the second coming of Niemi but he was ok yesterday - people are just looking for excuses to single certain players out at every turn and happily give others a free ride.

Literally no one has moaned about ABK for the 2 free headers. Potentially great defender and some fine moments yesterday but these were his mistakes.

• Like 16

10 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think our fans have the right to do as they please given the absolute shite they have paid to watch over the last 3 years. I’m not one for booing anyone but moi is not the answer to any question. Is your real name Semmens?

If you are coming to support the team and think booing Bednarek when he gets the ball is acceptable I am going to let you know you are a cunt and to shut it.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I’m sorry but this just sums up where people happily slag off the obvious candidates and give the favourites a free pass. Bednarek has been poor on a number of occasions and is not a great defender but yesterday was not one of those days.

It's not slagging him off, merely answering the question and elaborating on his 'dodgy' moments.

Most of the rest of your post is whataboutery.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Bednarek ALWAYS blames everyone else for everything, even when things go right!

For him, he had a reasonable game yesterday, doesn't mean there weren't dodgy moments, doesn't mean he's suddenly become a world beater.

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Never understand how Moi gets a start ahead of S. Amtrong. 

Whilst I agree with your comment about Moi,   Stuart A. has had so many niggling injuries he isn't upto a 90 minute game and

is much more of a benefit coming on later when the opposition has sweated a bit.  

SA was very impressive after he came , but for all his skill doesn't have the pace any longer. 

Saints on MOTD now,

That is 1x sitter Leicester missed as Bednarek leaves their striker free in the 6 box - headed wide

That the second sitter Leicester miss as ABK leaves their striker free in the 6 yard box - headed wide

A good chance gifted to Leicester as bazunu passes the ball to their striker on the 18 yard line

That is the 3rd sitter missed by Leicester as Bazunu is in no-mans land flapping at a cross, off the bar

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Some of our Fans booong our own players coming on as a sub are a fucking disgrace. They Don’t deserve a premier league team.

Agreed. I've made it clear on here how fucked off I am with going to the football these days but I'd never stand there and boo our own players. 

It's not a surprise when you actually see the blokes that do this though. Single celled reactionary rimjobs. 

Edited by Saint_Jonny
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

See motd suggesting alcaraz should have been sent off. I just don’t see it at all.

He was lucky I thought … wot saved him was a combination of his foot was low no studs up when he caught him and he apologised straight away to the ref and Leicester player… for me it was a red card. 
Why VAR didn’t get the ref to go to monitor was unbelievable. Lucky for us we kept 11 men. 
hopefully alcaraz is fit for manure next Sunday cos he was instrumental 1st half for us.

People who say things like ‘the fans have every right to boo’ are clearly idiots who boo. The crowd noise when Bazunu was playing those short goal kicks was pathetic, clearly that was an instruction from the manager - he’d said in his pre-match conference about us not drawing Leeds onto us enough, and clearly this was a ploy to get Leicester to press us high and leave gaps. Then to boo Elyounoussi was just a disgrace - anyone booing a player who gives his all for the club, should just not bother going to the game. Whether you think a player is good enough or not is another matter, but the reality is we’re not a good team, haven’t been all season, but the least you can do is support the team when they’re trying (which in my opinion they have been all season).

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

People who say things like ‘the fans have every right to boo’ are clearly idiots who boo. The crowd noise when Bazunu was playing those short goal kicks was pathetic, clearly that was an instruction from the manager - he’d said in his pre-match conference about us not drawing Leeds onto us enough, and clearly this was a ploy to get Leicester to press us high and leave gaps. Then to boo Elyounoussi was just a disgrace - anyone booing a player who gives his all for the club, should just not bother going to the game. Whether you think a player is good enough or not is another matter, but the reality is we’re not a good team, haven’t been all season, but the least you can do is support the team when they’re trying (which in my opinion they have been all season).

I thought this. 

Is it any wonder that we don’t seem to win at home? Our fan base is fucking toxic and an absolute disgrace. 

Genuinely, who sits there and thinks it’s a good idea to boo one of your own players, for coming on to the pitch. What positive outcome is that going to have? 

Much like booing at half time or shouting and groaning when a pass goes backwards. 

the job of the fans is to get behind the team, encourage them drive them forward. We don’t do that, we’re a hinderance and a disgrace to be brutally honest

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Don't agree with the booing but can understand fans being nervous when we start trying to take short goal kicks. We know we aren't good enough at it and Leicester's players knew too - it was a recipe for disaster. Until the team are drilled sufficiently in training to play out from short goal kicks and look comfortable doing it then it's probably safer to hoof it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Normally I agree,  and I would never boo myself. But I think booing Ely is actually a good thing.

He makes us so much worse, if the fans make him unplayable then it will improve the team. I don’t know what he does in training but I genuinely think he’s one of the worst footballers I have ever seen at this level. 

Also, Arsenal fans booed Xhaka when he was shite and it let him know he was shit and had to improve. Unfortunately I don’t think Ely can improve. But we can hope. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

We looked so much better with Alcarez on the pitch and it's a position where we don't have many great alternatives. 

Am concerned his injury may keep him out for a long time. Jamie Redknapp said at half time that it looked like ligament damage (and he should know). 

If true, this will keep him out for weeks and possibly end his season. Then we're back to Diallo or Moi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

Normally I agree,  and I would never boo myself. But I think booing Ely is actually a good thing.

He makes us so much worse, if the fans make him unplayable then it will improve the team. I don’t know what he does in training but I genuinely think he’s one of the worst footballers I have ever seen at this level. 

Also, Arsenal fans booed Xhaka when he was shite and it let him know he was shit and had to improve. Unfortunately I don’t think Ely can improve. But we can hope. 

Without checking the stats i’d bet Moi has appeared in all of our wins this season, I know he started both Chelsea wins. I also know he wasn’t playing in the Grimsby game or the Newcastle semi second leg, when we were absolutely piss poor in both. I get it’s trendy to moan about him, and he doesn’t set the world alight on the pitch, but maybe we should wonder why three managers in a row now are picking him regularly - it’s clearly not to win over the fans. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Shut up you absolute moron. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I would like to have seen the ball played out down the left hand side more. Sulumana and KWP seemed to be ignored in favour of Walcott and Niles.

Bazunna hardly ever played it to that side of the pitch,

At one point in the second half Selles was literally jumping up and down in the air waving his arms about, to get Prowsey to switch it to Sulemana on the left wing. It still didn’t come, you’re right that most of our play yesterday seemed stuck down the right.