Theo Walcott

Edmonton Saint

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

thirsty hirsty. When not in the pitch or treatment room could be found in Bedford place. He was class before his knee injury. Sadly we got him after it.

bizarrely around that time former skate and Aston Villa player warren aspinall spent a lot of time round there if I remember rightly he used to have a sandwich round.

One of my last games that I refereed was a cup game down at Hamble and I was asked to sign a form before the game so that he could play. Considering his history he should have been dominating midfield but he just spent the game niggling and moaning. Your recollection of him would explain his body shape at the time.

I have other stories about him from this game and some from a ‘proper’ referee that can wait for another time.

There were other ex professionals in the same team who were a model of delight to referee. Quite an eye opener.

On 22/03/2023 at 07:51, Colinjb said:

David Hirst.... 

Tough, no-nonsense, born and bred Yorkshireman who was 100 goal marksman for Sheffield Wednesday whilst picking up  England recognition along the way.

Moved to Saints shortly before his 30th birthday, and had a good season scoring 9 goals that included doubles v. Liverpool and Tottenham.

97-98 was a fun season for Saints goalscorers with MLT and Ostenstad getting 11 goals a piece, and Kevin Davies matching Hirst's  9 Prem. goal tally.

in a freak pre-season 98-99 accident (jogging in the forest), he stuck his foot in a rabbit-hole causing a knee injury that effectively finished his Saints career.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Walcott has confirmed today will be his last game.

Good servant, way past it and has been one of the more positive players of the season - weirdly.

Comes across very professional, I imagine he’ll end up as a Sky pundit alongside the likes of David Prutton eventually.

Good luck to him in the meantime. 👏🏻

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Walcott has confirmed today will be his last game.

Good servant, way past it and has been one of the more positive players of the season - weirdly.

Comes across very professional, I imagine he’ll end up as a Sky pundit alongside the likes of David Prutton eventually.

Good luck to him in the meantime. 👏🏻

2 years ago he couldn't get near the starting 11. He hasn't improved, it is the rest of the squad has got worse. He always gave 100%, can't ask more than that.

• Like 8

I'm sad that Theo is departing at the end of the season. I was hoping we'd offer him a new contract for next season. One of our better players this season and always gives his all. He loves the club. I wish him all the best for the future :)

Edited by davefizzy14

Will always like Theo, shame he's not staying on for a season in the Championship as I think he'd do well. It's a scary thought to think that Luton are a better prospect than us now and could easily offer Theo a contract. 

Pity he was millimetres offside for the disallowed goal at Brighton, would have been relatively nice way to sign off in an otherwise inconsistent return to Saints.

Can't fault the effort and he has played a bit better in the past few months but overall it wasn't a great decision to bring him back.

• Like 4

Thank you to Theo Walcott being one of few players who gave their all this season. Despite having clear limitations compared to the much younger squad he’s still been one of our better players. idk whether that just shows how bad we’ve been this season, but wish him the best in the future. 

• Like 3

A shame as not only one of the few who seemed to care (thought he was quite emotional celebrating the “goal” last week) but also the only forward to was making runs and stretching the opposition as any premier league forward should.  I assume he has an offer to either stay in the PL or go overseas rather than stay and maybe take a coaching path.  Good luck and thanks, always came across a great person. 

I did wonder whether Theo might have been able to offer Saints something for one more season but not to be then. Couldn't fault his effort this season, something that was markedly different to others that I could mention.

• Like 1

I really wish we’d never brought him back from Everton at all. He has offered painfully little across his last three years here and the fact that he has been one of the marginally better players in the most pathetic season I can remember really isn’t saying much. Bringing in a has-been who couldn’t get a game for Everton is a wonderful avatar for just how poor our overall recruitment has been for several years.

Im not buying all the stuff about what a great guy he is either. My uncle is a smashing, kindly spoken bloke who loves Saints (although unlike Theo he didn’t decide he actually preferred Everton five years ago), it’s going to take a hell of a lot more than that to make me feel any real gratitude. I’m not sold on him being a great role model and personality in the dressing room either. Our mentality, particularly in attack, couldn’t be any more pathetic. In fact; short of Mara collecting the ball, sprinting 60 yards back towards our own goal, slamming the ball past McCarthy and bursting into tears crying, "I don’t know what I’m supposed to do!” I’m struggling to envision an attacking force which could possibly be worse.

• Like 3

A sad bookend to his time here. He never quite became the player he promised to be but there were occasional flashes. 

When we went top of the league after that win v Newcastle in 2020. His assist for Che Adams. That's my parting memory of his second spell.

57 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Good player in the lower leagues.But then he had Bale and Chamberlain.amongst others to work alongside him. 
bloody hell we had a squad back then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes we would have done if Theo had ever played in the same side as either Bale or Chamberlain, which he didn't. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Good player in the lower leagues.But then he had Bale and Chamberlain.amongst others to work alongside him. 

You're forgetting Micky Channon, the Wallace brothers and Wayne Bridge as well. Oh what might have been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

If only Nigel Adkins hadn’t fucked it, hey pal 

• Haha 4

Wouldn't have been near the top of my 'get rid' list for next season but not overly disappointed he's not staying either. Cheers Theo and good luck with whatever you do next 👍

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Wouldn't have been near the top of my 'get rid' list for next season but not overly disappointed he's not staying either. Cheers Theo and good luck with whatever you do next 👍

totally agree.  Clearly past it, but you can tell he put in the effort to do his best.

Great career and probably do well in the punditry world, as he is clearly very articulate 

• Like 2

I remember watching us lose at home to Manure when we last got relegated and thinking we’ll be straight back with the likes of Theo playing for us….he promptly left for Arsenal quite soon into that season. Lovely bloke though and always put his all in. 

1 minute ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Shame really. The time when he can actually help us he’s buggering off again. Had a decent end to the season. Probs didn’t want a 1 year extension but at 34 anything more too much of a gamble. Just the sort of experience we’re gonna need next year 

I think we would need him next season more than ever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s weird to think that he has actually played with Marian Pahars.

It’s weirder to think he’s played with Claus and Oakley who joined the club 27 years ago and 29 years ago. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Master Bates said:

Currently at Reading with Selles. Pretty sure he'll sign for them if they want him.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/23620049.arsenal-southampton-star-training-reading-fc/

Not unusual for players to follow managers they respect. The second Reading free themselves from financial disaster, Lavia and JWP will be joining Reading too. 🙂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Not unusual for players to follow managers they respect. The second Reading free themselves from financial disaster, Lavia and JWP will be joining Reading too. 🙂

Reading is pretty much Theo's home professional club (nearest to where he grew up, not born), don't think its any surprise that he is interested in going there, and Selles presence there probably helps. Likely to have been Reading or Swindon.

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Reading is pretty much Theo's home professional club (nearest to where he grew up, not born), don't think its any surprise that he is interested in going there, and Selles presence there probably helps. Likely to have been Reading or Swindon.

And had Reading not been facing a winding up order, relegated, starting with a points deduction having an owner they want rid of, with late wages paid more than once then maybe...if he had a concussion through the negotiations and both his legs suddenly fell off. Otherwise, there surely has to be a better option for him.

• Haha 1

He’s a free agent. Currently without a club, and nowhere to train. 

Easier to get motivated training in a group. 

Reading currently don’t have enough players for an 11v11 so it’s a win win for everyone. 

Ruben gets to look like mini-Pep bringing a respected Eng International to training on day 1, and Theo gets a place to train in his neck of the woods until he finds a home. Plus maybe Reading get some financial backing and he stays. 

Bet it’s just a training arrangement right now though

On 29/06/2023 at 07:42, Patches O Houlihan said:

He’s a free agent. Currently without a club, and nowhere to train. 

Easier to get motivated training in a group. 

Reading currently don’t have enough players for an 11v11 so it’s a win win for everyone. 

Ruben gets to look like mini-Pep bringing a respected Eng International to training on day 1, and Theo gets a place to train in his neck of the woods until he finds a home. Plus maybe Reading get some financial backing and he stays. 

Bet it’s just a training arrangement right now though

think it might also be geographically convenient. 

As a boy, his family lived in / around  Didcot / Newbury area and so Reading isn't that far away... 

if he's looking to keep " fit" , it's a good idea  to have some pre-season exercise...

can't see him signing for Reading ....even if Selles is there.

15 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If its just training I question why he wasn’t allowed to carry on here

Has anyone said he wasn’t? We’ve said we definitely won’t be keeping him but Reading might offer him a player/assistant role which would suit him at this stage in his career.