Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

Absolutely. Hold out for £40m so we actually see £30m.

I wouldn't sell him for less than £40M. He's invaluable to us on many levels, he'll play every damn minute, and he'll comfortably hit double figures this season. He's the captain and has a long contract - our big sale is clearly going to be lavia for at least £50M (despite others saying we'd have to take £40M earlier in the window), and sales such as Salisu, DCC, Diallo, Orsic etc, will all help in raising funds and reducing the wage bill. We don't need to sell all the family china - especially if it means gutting central midfield in a martin possession heavy side this close to the season starting. Charge west ham a premium! Can always strike a deal with JWP that he can move in January / next summer if promotion isn't on the cards as well.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Some people have got short memories. He was generally fairly shit for us and no one was bothered when he left on loan. He's now being touted as potential captain material after a season of inconsistency with Bournemouth. We might have dropped a division but we still need to be aiming higher. Same goes for Bednarek, wasn't good enough then, isn't good enough now

Both have struggled to contain premiership attackers. The errors they made have been punished ruthlessly at that level. In the championship the attackers aren't as good and when they make an error it won't always see the ball end up in the back of the net. They may be good enough for the championship. Most CBs are pretty shit at that level.

My major concern is whether they win enough headers. Pretty basic stuff, but essential. 

• Like 1

A tricky one for Prowsey. I reckon hed only really want to leave for a club the size of Tottenham or above, but West Ham offer both PL and Europe, so although they don't fully tickle his fancy, they are attractive for his career in many ways.

The only thing holding him to us in his mind will be the fact we are and have always been his playing club, and that we may well be back in the PL next year.

As others have said, he's worth £40m in today's market, surely?

Tinpot Hammers wanting discounted rates for prime talent. Laughable.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

A tricky one for Prowsey. I reckon hed only really want to leave for a club the size of Tottenham or above, but West Ham offer both PL and Europe, so although they don't fully tickle his fancy, they are attractive for his career in many ways.

The only thing holding him to us in his mind will be the fact we are and have always been his playing club, and that we may well be back in the PL next year.

As others have said, he's worth £40m in today's market, surely?

Tinpot Hammers wanting discounted rates for prime talent. Laughable.

That's laughable bollocks. He will want to leave to play in the prem and Europe. He's a professional so is unlikely to kick up a fuss if we refuse. That's about it. 

• Like 2

Trouble is both West Ham and Liverpool know that both JWP and Lavia want their moves, so their bargaining chip is that we risk having sulky players on a big salary. I hope this blows up in both of their faces, the absolute tools. If I was Brighton I'd cash in on Caicedo with Chelsea and pay 50mill of that on Lavia. Or maybe Chelsea will just come in for Lavia, partially to stop Liverpool having him. Clearly Klopp has done his usual tapping up behind the scenes, which is abhorrent. Twat. JWP will go for 35m i reckon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Threats to walk away? Just fuck off then. 

West Ham are like that kid that wants to threaten you by leaving but is waiting for you to say something so they can come back.

"I'm walking away! See, I'm still going... nearly at the door now see? Nearly touching the door handle... door is open, last chance! I'm walking out the room..."

2 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

So much for fucking off 😆

".... OK you called my bluff. What do you mean no still? Did you you hear what I said? Right I'm walking away again. See I'm nearly at the door... nearly.... nearly...."

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So in the space of 24-48 hours, they have gone from “£25m is our final offer, we’re walking away” to “£30m, that’s it, no more”, to “probably make another bid”

Glorious. 

"...OK ok how about this..."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's laughable bollocks. He will want to leave to play in the prem and Europe. He's a professional so is unlikely to kick up a fuss if we refuse. That's about it. 

and that is the reason we wont accept less than £40m IMO. I reckon he has been told he can go with our blessing if the price is right otherwise get the fuck on with it and get us back up.

Lavia is a different ball game because someone will give us £50m in fear of someone else taking him and potentially missing out on a future world class talent.

• Like 3

Burnley spending €20 million on a right back but won’t pay up a slightly lesser amount for their top scorer last season. Makes me think either they believe they can take advantage of our relegation, or they just aren’t *that* interested.

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Re your edit I think the clubs actully preferred it closing  before the season started but for those in Europe it proved a disadvantage as clubs in other coutries could continue making signings for several more weeks.

It was a classic case of "wouldn't it be better if...." until they did it and they realised they hated it because clubs everywhere else could steal players in those last two weeks and the Prem clubs couldn't do anything.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned media leaks to put pressure on a player to try and force our hand 

Just wait for the chairman's wife's friend from pilates cousin's social media campaign. That'll show us.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, coalman said:

Just wait for the chairman's wife's friend from pilates cousin's social media campaign. That'll show us.

It'll be a charity single from the combined choir of Liverpool, West Ham and Burnley. #freeTellafreeLaviafreeJWP

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The latest marketing vid has Tella talking about the first game of the season (no JWP or Lavia). Got a feeling Tella will still be with us for a little while longer.

Say a championship side was looking at a championship attacker who had scored 17 goals in the league, 2 goals in the cup and on top of that had five assists.

You look at that record. You're not looking at £9 million, you're not looking at £15 million. You're looking at £20 million plus for those numbers.

I'd be very surprised if the reports that Southampton would accept £15 million for Tella are accurate. £15 million is the most Burnley have ever paid for a player, and that's why that number is out there.

He's got the 11 Shirt, and he's got a full season rather than the 39 league games he played for Burnley last year.

Expect goals from Tella... For Southampton.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Say a championship side was looking at a championship attacker who had scored 17 goals in the league, 2 goals in the cup and on top of that had five assists.

You look at that record. You're not looking at £9 million, you're not looking at £15 million. You're looking at £20 million plus for those numbers.

I'd be very surprised if the reports that Southampton would accept £15 million for Tella are accurate. £15 million is the most Burnley have ever paid for a player, and that's why that number is out there.

He's got the 11 Shirt, and he's got a full season rather than the 39 league games he played for Burnley last year.

Expect goals from Tella... For Southampton.

Except it's not just £9m. It's a social media campaign AND posters. It's hard to imagine how they could be more generous, particularly to a newly relegated club looking for charity from their betters.

• Haha 1

I have to say, what Wilcox is doing is very refreshing. I feared that we would get pillaged this summer for our best assets, but hes been clear on the value for each player and we're sticking to it. These price tags are fair and that means the players cant throw a Schneiderlin or Lallana level strop for us denying them a move.

• Like 4

The Lavia transfer is uber complicated, lots of people involved. I'm sure City retain a strong hand and will be involved somewhere, same for Tino and Chelsea. When the club made these purchases somebody on here observed that they were a complicated long term loan deal. With the way the transfers are going that seems pretty accurate. 

Have to remember Lavia is still only 19 and time is on his side. His advisors and parents will be doing most of the work with this transfer along with Saints and Man City of  course. With the Euros up next year he needs European football, however if he goes to a suitable club he also needs to be playing. No point bench sitting he needs to play. However regardless how much we as fans think of him he'll remain a risk for whoever buys him, he certainly isn't the finished article and needs some hard minutes under his belt. Liverpool at the moment would seem to be an ideal club for him as they have a position ready for him and he'd probably develop there. If negotiations are really dead he'll play Friday, if he has a 'niggling' injury then we can safely assume that Liverpool are close to the deal and don't want him injured.

The Ward Prowse situation is completely different, no other club involved and he just isn't the sort to kick up a fuss. £30m is probably a fair price for him as a player, the rest is a sweetener to persuade Saints to sell. I still think Brighton will buy him, a much better fit for him and they have the cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

My stance is that I'd be content with £30m for JWP. I don't rate him as much as the majority of our fanbase and free kicks aside, I think we could find a decent replacement for half that price. 

I would also take it if I knew we had a good replacement lined up ....

7 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I would also take it if I knew we had a good replacement lined up ....

Well it won't have come as a shock so Wilcox and Martin will have a good idea of who they want.  It's probably one of those "happy to wait" that Martin referred to.  My guess is probably Grimes - seems a similar type of player but without the freekicks.

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

My stance is that I'd be content with £30m for JWP. I don't rate him as much as the majority of our fanbase and free kicks aside, I think we could find a decent replacement for half that price. 

These days £20m buys a decent Championship player and £30m buys someone fairly decent from Austria or Belgium. JWP has been playing PL football for a decade and is one of the worlds best free kick takers. He also counts towards the quota of home grown players and is always fit.

If Wan Bissaka is £50m, Maguire is £80m and Rice is over £100m then JWP is easily worth £40m.

• Like 20