Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Typical Chelsea negotiation:

Southampton - "We want £50m for Lavia"

Chelsea - "Would you take £60m?"

I like their style.

Chelsea seem to make a habit of hijacking over big clubs transfers. The only thing stopping this happening again is their desire to sign Caicedo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Typical Chelsea negotiation:

Southampton - "We want £50m for Lavia"

Chelsea - "Would you take £60m?"

I like their style.

Southampton - "Mmm, how about £70m?"

Chelsea - "We won't pay a penny more than £80m".

Liverpool - "We'd like to put a fresh bid in of £44,000,001, with add ons if he ever flies to the moon or skateboards down Everest or plays for Brazil."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HnycS said:

Was that the one where Vardy stamped on VVD's ankle? Which delayed the transfer not sure he cna be blamed for that.

Nope, that was the day things all turned sour and he cited that injury as one of the reasons for pushing forward with a move away from Saints.

The game in question was this one...

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not too many people on here come into contact with the players very often. He knows the game. Until a deal is concluded, you keep things pretty close to your chest. I think we all know (well, almost all) he wants a move.

I think he does but we don't actually know do we. 

42 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

No animosity at all towards Prowsey, but think he will regret going there if that’s the case.

Think he'll regret it more if he gets stuck in the Championship for the remainder of his career.

If we don't go straight back up, who's coming in next summer with a big cheque for a 30 year old midfielder from a mediocre Championship side?

It's probably now or never for him to move.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Think he'll regret it more if he gets stuck in the Championship for the remainder of his career.

If we don't go straight back up, who's coming in next summer with a big cheque for a 30 year old midfielder from a mediocre Championship side?

It's probably now or never for him to move.

Maybe. It will be interesting to see how things play out. 

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

They'll be back.  Moyes wants him and by all accounts has done for a long time.

Without question. Until I read they've had a £35m bid turned down they will be going absolutely nowhere.

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Why would we loan him to Everton?

Personally I think it make a bit of sense. If he has a good season then his value will increase. We could potentially sell him for more next year or if we go up, he could return with a decent season under his belt.

Alternatively he could totally flop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

How would we know? For all we know we might have been interested in Coady, Winks and Mavididi for example as have been linked with all three in the past.

The longer we go without selling then it surely becomes a bit of an issue unless we are able to buy before we sell.

I hope the exits speed up a bit as many are inevitable anyway.

Coady wanted to stay north, and to be honest Im still to be convinced by that signing, Im not sure Id of been that happy with it personally

Winks.. he could be a good player at this level but again its a bit of a risk for me and Im not sure he offers anything more than Smallbone

Mavididi is decent enough, I think thats a solid signing at this level but we have an abundance of wingers

I doubt we were in for any of them really, theres no links to them this year, in fairness our deals have clearly been kept close to our chests.. ive only really seen Edwards, Manning and Charles and of those three with signed two

A striker worries me, thats all really, because I think the rest are a ‘see who leaves’ sort of deal.. but Im not sure we can cope with Arma/Che… as good as they were when we bought them, im not convinced they can regain that confidence 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Nope, that was the day things all turned sour and he cited that injury as one of the reasons for pushing forward with a move away from Saints.

The game in question was this one...

Yes I was there, he seemed to be playing well until the injury. Agree that the injury may have made VVD think about the risk\reward of injury versus income stream and combined with being tapped up this changed his outlook. But I feel blaming VVD for a poor perfromance in a game in which he was injured is not realistic and like I say up until that point he was performing well.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, HnycS said:

Yes I was there, he seemed to be playing well until the injury. Agree that the injury may have made VVD think about the risk\reward of injury versus income stream and combined with being tapped up this changed his outlook. But I feel blaming VVD for a poor perfromance in a game in which he was injured is not realistic and like I say up until that point he was performing well.

Think you may have your wires crossed a little.

VVD was great in that 3-0 win against Leicester, and then Vardy crocked him meaning season over (which probably also cost us the League Cup).

Over the following summer he lost his head completely, went on strike and then returned looking like a terrible tribute act with 0% enthusiasm prior to forcing his way out by the New Year.  The 1-4 defeat against Leicester that I linked above was a few weeks before he left (he wasn't injured at all then).  

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

I'll be honest. I thought one of the few positives of relegation was the chance to dump some of these players and refresh the squad. I'm sure that will still happen by the end of the window, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we start on Friday with most of the same squad and presumably some of the same issues including mental fragility that plagued us last season. At best we will have 5 starting who are newish but the rest are hangovers. You can just imagine us struggling to score, someone fecking up and us conceding off someone's arse and losing 1-0, having all of the possession and no killer instinct at all. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, HnycS said:

Look at his challenge for their 4th.  The cunt wasn’t interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

Do we have good relations with Utd?! Have we ever signed a player from them or them done us a favour? That was about 10 years ago and can’t think of anything which would imply we had any sort of relationship with them other than being in the same division 

Only an observation as to how it could be done.. Probably indifference now, but at the tine lt led to both boards being prepared to do business, thus Saints received a good wedge for Morgan Schneiderlin.

Spurs the exact opposite, time wasters and chancers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

…, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we start on Friday with most of the same squad and presumably some of the same issues including mental fragility that plagued us last season. At best we will have 5 starting who are newish but the rest are hangovers. You can just imagine us struggling to score, someone fecking up and us conceding off someone's arse and losing 1-0, having all of the possession and no killer instinct at all. 

Possibly, but they also had to endure a lot off the field  last season with our absolutely dreadful succession of managers, it must have been demoralising  beyond belief.

I hear there is a real buzz around the place now with the new management structure in place.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Possibly, but they also had to endure a lot off the field  last season with our absolutely dreadful succession of managers, it must have been demoralising  beyond belief.

I hear there is a real buzz around the place now with the new management structure in place.

I just remain sceptical that the players who put on some of the performances they did last year will be able to perform a 180 degree turn in such a short amount of time. The likes of Bazunu, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong x2 and Edozie will have to show remarkable turnarounds. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I just remain sceptical that the players who put on some of the performances they did last year will be able to perform a 180 degree turn in such a short amount of time. The likes of Bazunu, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong x2 and Edozie will have to show remarkable turnarounds. 

Bednarek did ok, could be a rock this season

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Coady wanted to stay north, and to be honest Im still to be convinced by that signing, Im not sure Id of been that happy with it personally

Winks.. he could be a good player at this level but again its a bit of a risk for me and Im not sure he offers anything more than Smallbone

Mavididi is decent enough, I think thats a solid signing at this level but we have an abundance of wingers

I doubt we were in for any of them really, theres no links to them this year, in fairness our deals have clearly been kept close to our chests.. ive only really seen Edwards, Manning and Charles and of those three with signed two

A striker worries me, thats all really, because I think the rest are a ‘see who leaves’ sort of deal.. but Im not sure we can cope with Arma/Che… as good as they were when we bought them, im not convinced they can regain that confidence 

I’m convinced Martin, Mowbray and Wilcox are well aware we need a striker and already have a few options lined up.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'll be honest. I thought one of the few positives of relegation was the chance to dump some of these players and refresh the squad. I'm sure that will still happen by the end of the window, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we start on Friday with most of the same squad and presumably some of the same issues including mental fragility that plagued us last season. At best we will have 5 starting who are newish but the rest are hangovers. You can just imagine us struggling to score, someone fecking up and us conceding off someone's arse and losing 1-0, having all of the possession and no killer instinct at all. 

Its pretty obvious we are trying to dump them but are stuck in a difficult position of not having offers that meet our valuation as yet.

Will be good tonget Salisu gone, sounds like DCC could follow and have been pretty unlucky with Lyanco's Besiktas move falling apart. The latter two aren't players who will have teams fawning over them, we will do well to shift them at all.

Aside from that for the most part its back to the players that probably will go (Lavia, ABK, JWP, Tino, Adams etc) but we obvious don't want to/need to sell them on the cheap and thats why there hasnt been much movement.

Its in our interest to get an acceptable offer for at least Lavia as soonnas possible to allow us to bring some people in, and he seemingly isnt going to start on Friday anyway so ita not doing us much of a favour to have this protracted negotiation.

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Looks likely JWP and Lavia could be starting on Friday. 

Liverpool will bid £50m on Friday and Lavia will have a slight niggle, so won't play. We'll draw the game 2-2 and wonder if we'd of won with Lavia protecting the back four better.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Che goes, Piroe signs shortly after. Whether that resolves our goalscoring issues is to be seen.

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I follow Lens, they've been my "French team" since the late 90s when I had one of their hideous shirts as a kid. 

I watched around 10 of their games last season and he does a job at CB for them and he may have improved since being with us, but he's still very average. He was made to look better by their defensive record, which was mainly because Brice Samba is a very good goalie.

ABK is better than him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I'll be honest. I thought one of the few positives of relegation was the chance to dump some of these players and refresh the squad. I'm sure that will still happen by the end of the window, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we start on Friday with most of the same squad and presumably some of the same issues including mental fragility that plagued us last season. 

Why would you expect this though? Has it ever happened? To any club even, let alone Saints? Still needing to ship players out after the season had begun was as sure as night follows day because teams won't raise their bids to what they should be until late on in the window.

I agree it may affect our performances which is shit but there was never any changing it. And it can run both ways - we have some excellent players still with the club who will otherwise leave.

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

20 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Whilst i agree with pricing stance on our players, im not seeing any incoming players either.

It's amazing how quickly fans forget previous signings. Manning and Charles brought in and £10m spent. We only spent £90k last time we were relegated. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Danso had a fantastic season last season. Shame we never gave him a chance at CB. 

7 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

I follow Lens, they've been my "French team" since the late 90s when I had one of their hideous shirts as a kid. 

I watched around 10 of their games last season and he does a job at CB for them and he may have improved since being with us, but he's still very average. He was made to look better by their defensive record, which was mainly because Brice Samba is a very good goalie.

ABK is better than him. 

Didn’t Danso make it into the Ligue 1 team of the season? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's amazing how quickly fans forget previous signings. Manning and Charles brought in and £10m spent. We only spent £90k last time we were relegated. 

How we could do with a Ricardo Fuller type player now.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, manji said:

I’m convinced Martin, Mowbray and Wilcox are well aware we need a striker and already have a few options lined up.

Im sure i read somewhere that we might of had a look at the young lad from Bristol Rovers, who by all accounts was ripping it up last season........................someone else we bought from them also had a great career SRL...........

• Like 1