Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Perhaps Miss Pace (who is from Utah, not Burnley) simply wasn't up to date with the "black people are different" agenda.

What relevance is it that Tella is black?  If you prick him, does he not bleed?  Can we not dream that one day he will live in a nation where he will be judged not by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character?  If every time you make a comment about someone who happens to have darker skin than you do, you have to think about how other people will view the alleged connotations, then you get towards the idea that it's safer not to comment at all; just to ignore them for ear of offending someone who is wanting to be offended.

In Burnley, Nathan Tella is a footballer.  His skin colour is irrelevant.  I am sorry if, in Southampton, he is a black man first and foremost and a footballer only in footnotes.  Let him be himself. We need to get away from this idea that black people are different.  They are not different, they are human beings.

This is peculiar. Surely playing African music and alluding to the battle against apartheid is treating him as different because he is black? The dude was born in England, and not, as far as I am aware, imprisoned by saints for his campaigning against apartheid in hampshire?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Perhaps Miss Pace (who is from Utah, not Burnley) simply wasn't up to date with the "black people are different" agenda.

What relevance is it that Tella is black?  If you prick him, does he not bleed?  Can we not dream that one day he will live in a nation where he will be judged not by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character?  If every time you make a comment about someone who happens to have darker skin than you do, you have to think about how other people will view the alleged connotations, then you get towards the idea that it's safer not to comment at all; just to ignore them for ear of offending someone who is wanting to be offended.

In Burnley, Nathan Tella is a footballer.  His skin colour is irrelevant.  I am sorry if, in Southampton, he is a black man first and foremost and a footballer only in footnotes.  Let him be himself. We need to get away from this idea that black people are different.  They are not different, they are human beings.

You make a fair point. Americans are notorious for not getting involved in racial politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

As we get closer to the window closing our price should go up as it will be harder to replace in the time left.

Absolutely - £20m for a proven Championship goal scorer of notoriety is a joke…should be closer to £30m in todays market unless he has a release clause.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Absolutely - £20m for a proven Championship goal scorer of notoriety is a joke…should be closer to £30m in todays market unless he has a release clause.

Does that mean we should be paying £30m for Piroe?

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Shame it had to be to those fuckers. Can't wait to see Klopp saying how he has joined the best club in the world.

This. And he was clearly tapped up, just like they did with Van Dijke. Or is that okay because it is them? Despise Klopp.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Hilarious to be lectured on race, by someone from Burnley. I think we are a few steps ahead of you on your journey to enlightenment, but thank you for your concern.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

14 minutes ago, DT said:

This. And he was clearly tapped up, just like they did with Van Dijke. Or is that okay because it is them? Despise Klopp.

sorry to say that ship has sailed - every club now does it - including us 

• Like 1

A post on the Burnley forum:

“Pace's daughter has been contacting people on social media asking them to post '#freetella' content as part of a campaign to, in her words, "persuade Southampton to loosen their grip of him“

Absolutely hilarious. 

• Haha 15

58 minutes ago, ashnats said:

This is peculiar. Surely playing African music and alluding to the battle against apartheid is treating him as different because he is black? The dude was born in England, and not, as far as I am aware, imprisoned by saints for his campaigning against apartheid in hampshire?

The folks of Burnley, their chairman's daughter, and apparently this dsr Burnley character can't understand why making excessive references to the fact he has African ancestry might be inappropriate - to them (in much the same way Liverpool are doing us a favour offering us £35M for lavia), tella should be grateful for that video and begging on his knees to be freed from his enforced labour behind the red and white barred prison that is saints fc. 🙄

In all seriousness, they're one of the most racist fanbases / cities in England, so for them they really are making an effort... 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The folks of Burnley, their chairman's daughter, and apparently this dsr Burnley character can't understand why making excessive references to the fact he has African ancestry might be inappropriate - to them (in much the same way Liverpool are doing us a favour offering us £35M for lavia), tella should be grateful for that video and begging on his knees to be freed from his enforced labour behind the red and white barred prison that is saints fc. 🙄

In all seriousness, they're one of the most racist fanbases / cities in England, so for them they really are making an effort... 

Not sure how Tella will react to it either. If he was thinking of moving on to them, wonder what he feels about it now. Very very embarrassing. Just goes to show Americans have no idea about how football works. Guess they are expecting to draft him.

12 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

“Pace's daughter has been contacting people on social media asking them to post '#freetella' content as part of a campaign to, in her words, "persuade Southampton to loosen their grip of him“

Absolutely hilarious. 

I feel so ashamed to support a club that forces these poor players to sign contracts that pay them a fortune to play football and then get's all moody because a nice club like Burnley doesn't feel like paying what we value them at to end said contract early. #justicefortella  

17 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Absolutely hilarious. 

Wow. They're a premiership team acting so Tinpot. They're supposedly bigger than us now but acting like we are some super power holding players to ransom!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

The Cat,are you the guy who bought the India Test Match ticket off me in 2014 [ At West End ] and therefore sat next to me. I seem to remember,[ some times wrongly at my age ],that this was your moniker on this site.        Andy Watson 

Yeah that was me. Then went back on the last day to watch Moin Ali win us the game. Was an enjoyable test.

41 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Absolutely hilarious. 

I reckon the romantic sub-plot is that Nathan’s been shagging her and said that he’d be back by the end of July. 

• Haha 6

34 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Wow. They're a premiership team acting so Tinpot. They're supposedly bigger than us now but acting like we are some super power holding players to ransom!

You can take the Burnley out of the Championship but....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

I suspect, given that I read on that forum that she works for the club, that this was done to get lots of #freetella posts to use as part of the announcement video. It's probably been agreed and he just needs to go for his medical etc.

A fair bit of effort went into that video and looks like the club knew about it. Her dad wouldn't be sharing it if she had gone rogue.

However, West Ham, who are willing to include Downes as part of a deal with Southampton, are reluctant to pay over the odds. They see no resale value in Ward-Prowse given he will be 29 in November and have concerns over meeting his wages of about £100,000 a week.

this a quote from the guardian, Interesting that they are offering Downes as part of the deal.

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

However, West Ham, who are willing to include Downes as part of a deal with Southampton, are reluctant to pay over the odds. They see no resale value in Ward-Prowse given he will be 29 in November and have concerns over meeting his wages of about £100,000 a week.

this a quote from the guardian, Interesting that they are offering Downes as part of the deal.

They sound increasingly desperate. If I was on the Saints Board I might be inclined to give it a couple of weeks to let them stew. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Suggestion I saw yesterday, albeit on an 'unreliable' West Ham source (vlog) was that Downes had rejected the prospect of the move. 

• Sad 2

Swansea about to sign a big centre forward, Mykola Kukharevich. (Also a keeper and right back incoming).

Perhaps the start of some movement one way or another?

Whether it's relative to us is anyone's guess, but it'd be a surprise if Martin wasn't at least a little bit interested in a few former players.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fuck Burnley.

Northern fucking twats.

Regarding the Dingles' attitude, what do you expect from a group who have to dip their girlfriends 2 weeks before breeding ?

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

Agree they can fuck off. 

It’s an absolute shit hole. And we are more likely to be in the PL than them after this season anyway. Nailed on they go down. 

Vincent Kompany isa very good manager, not as nailed on as you think

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Think he was in Norwich academy from 2016, first team player from 2018, so a bit longer than that. 

I didn't know that. Martin may have a little bit more idea about him then 

In the end, all that matters is if he is any good. He doesn't seem to have impressed Prem scouts.

11 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I don't think anyone knows this yet.

Plenty of teams have had record breaking amazing second tier campaigns only to shit the bed once promoted.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Funny enough, I was thinking earlier about next season and who was in danger and it made me realise how poor the PL will be next season It seems to get weaker year by year. 

I can't for the life of me see a world where Luton or Sheff Utd stay up - Neither have really added a great deal of quality to their squads and in Sheff U case, they're even weaker than last season. 

Luton, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton are at least 5 really weak sides. I thought Bournemoth would be in real trouble after the friendly as I was really uninpressed, but I genuinely think it'll be harder than not to g down next season. 

I'm going for Luton to get the lowest ever point total, if they don'y Sheff Utd will. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Plenty of teams have had record breaking amazing second tier campaigns only to shit the bed once promoted.

Agreed - He's had 2 seasons as a manager. 1 which was pretty poor at Anderlect the other which was pretty decent at Burnely. 

Looking at their squad as things stand, I think they lack the quality needed for the PL - especially if they want to play a poession based attacking style. They'll ge picked apart by most sides up there. 

Given that they're absolutely desperate to sign Tella (but not pay a fairly nominal fee), It doesn't look like they're doing much to add the quality needed for that level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Funny enough, I was thinking earlier about next season and who was in danger and it made me realise how poor the PL will be next season It seems to get weaker year by year. 

I can't for the life of me see a world where Luton or Sheff Utd stay up - Neither have really added a great deal of quality to their squads and in Sheff U case, they're even weaker than last season. 

Luton, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Bournemouth, Forest, Everton are at least 5 really weak sides. I thought Bournemoth would be in real trouble after the friendly as I was really uninpressed, but I genuinely think it'll be harder than not to g down next season. 

I'm going for Luton to get the lowest ever point total, if they don'y Sheff Utd will. 

All that happened in the worlds greatest league is Man City are miles ahead of most then not a lot between the rest of the top 4 or 5. Everyone else is pretty shit. The whole league is about the big clubs with everyone else as canon fodder. Just think how poor and what a mess we were last season yet if had a vaguely competent keeper and manager we would probably have stayed up. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

All that happened in the worlds greatest league is Man City are miles ahead of most then not a lot between the rest of the top 4 or 5. Everyone else is pretty shit. The whole league is about the big clubs with everyone else as canon fodder. Just think how poor and what a mess we were last season yet if had a vaguely competent keeper and manager we would probably have stayed up. 

If you think about quite a few of the big clubs had poor seasons by their own standards. Chelsea in particular Chelsea and Man United in particular.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In fairness, I think there are at least 10 really decent sides in the PL now, with the emergance of Villa and arguably brighton.

I do hink brighton's time at the best of the rest will die off very quickly though, much like we did. 

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly this. Some of the managers who have comfortably overseen championship promotions in recent years include Scott Parker (twice), Chris Wilder, Daniel Farke, Xisco Munoz and Slaven Bilic. All struggled in the PL.

I think Burnley have a good chance of staying up, but thats only because the other two promoted clubs have done little business. They had a taste of what to expect when they played City in the FA Cup and were walloped 6-0.

• Like 1