Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

From what I’ve read on here, he hasn’t played since January, and might not be available until October. All in all seems a gamble.

Has the hallmarks of being up there with the signings of Charlie George and Augustin Delgado. 

Perhaps it’ll be a return to the David Connolly days, potentially being our best striker bar none if he doesn’t spend time in the treatment room. 

Will take a slight issue with your mention of Charlie George in the same sentence as Delgado. Yes, Charlie didn’t play too much for us, but when he did oh boy what a player. But that may be clouded by my schoolboy memories of being in love with football and with the saints teams of those times!

• Like 12

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Will take a slight issue with your mention of Charlie George in the same sentence as Delgado. Yes, Charlie didn’t play too much for us, but when he did oh boy what a player. But that may be clouded by my schoolboy memories of being in love with football and with the saints teams of those times!

👍👍👍

• Like 1

Harwood-Bellis would be a phenomenal signing. Maybe he doesn't want to commit to us on a permanent in the Championship, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't include an option to buy dependant on promotion in the deal. He'd be one of the signing's of the summer in the Championship either way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Seems weird we won’t just go and pay the 15mil. Especially as the Wood bids were rejected. Seems a much better option at that price 

I think the buy-back clause might be putting potential suitors off. Rumoured to be "only" £35m.

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This would be sensational, I suppose this is instead of Wood in this case, Id imagine because Swansea were playing hardball

Will work out for the better for us if we end up with Harwood-Bellis surely 

• Like 3

Don't want to get my hopes up on this one, but he would be one heck of a signing for us. I'd have been happy with him as a PL side, surprised he hasn't had any takers. Rolls Royce of a CB imo.

Suits our style down to the ground. I hope we include an option.

• Like 5

Just now, disconnect said:

Harwood-Bellis in with Holgate, and ABK staying, whilst shifting Caleta-Car, Lyanco and 'higher level' Janny B would be the dream scenario. 

Cannot see how ABK stays if we sign another CB. 

ABK expects, probably rightfully, to be first choice at this level. But so will Harwood-Bellis and Holgate, who we've signed on loan - would be top heavy.

6 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yes, definitely a class player and a cut above Delgado I agree. 

But as I recall he was our record signing at the time, so that doesn't really sit comfortably with the bit I've highlighted in your post. I think we signed him in the December, and I'm not sure if we saw him play that season. 

2 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Harwood-Bellis in with Holgate, and ABK staying, whilst shifting Caleta-Car, Lyanco and 'higher level' Janny B would be the dream scenario. 

Our options would genuinely be better than last year when we were still in the PL if we pulled that off 😂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I can still remember an iconic photo of Lawrie CG, KK and MC standing on the pitch at the Dell - was there another player too?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

ABK expects, probably rightfully, to be first choice at this level. But so will Harwood-Bellis and Holgate, who we've signed on loan - would be top heavy.

If this happens, could we see a surprise departure...Bednarek?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

This, he’ll be offski. Perhaps Wood is off as we haven’t banked money for ABK so letting him go on loan, hence only a loan for THB.

Just now, ErwinK1961 said:

Perhaps Wood is off as we haven’t banked money for ABK so letting him go on loan, hence only a loan for THB.

I doubt it's as cut and dry as that, I think Swansea are just playing silly buggers as they did with Martin. We probably feel it's risky to be playing games with them so late in the window, as you know they'll end up changing the goalposts at the 11th hr and leave us snookered. 

Harwood-Bellis is a better option anyway if it happens (IMO)

45 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im more happy that it significantly weakens Leicester… although I wonder if they’ll move for Stewart ? Or who else is available to them ?

I was at both Leicester games last year and the only reason we won was because this guy couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards. Sadly, I think they'll have someone better in that position when we play them in a couple of weeks.

Shame it's only a loan - he'll be picked off by someone else in a year no doubt. Still, super player to have at this level.

Reckon that means Bednarek is off. He can't have Stephens, Holgate and THB in front of him in the Championship. Not sure where it leaves ABK at all...

19 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Harwood-Bellis would be a phenomenal signing. Maybe he doesn't want to commit to us on a permanent in the Championship, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't include an option to buy dependant on promotion in the deal. He'd be one of the signing's of the summer in the Championship either way.

Do we need an option? I thought he only had 12 months left on his deal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep it does - good spot.

There was talk of them extending it for a year so they still own him - can’t see them loaning out a good prospect and letting him go for free next year. Imagine announcement of his departure will be accompanied by a contract extension. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Do we need an option? I thought he only had 12 months left on his deal?

Correct, but I'm not sure why City would loan him for his last season - surely it makes sense for them to take the best offer. 

Strange that Lavia still not featuring for Chelsea. They say he's not injured but just not match fit. Would have thought EFL trophy would be perfect opportunity.

Did he not train with us at all? I wouldn't be very happy paying £58m for a player who turns up totally out of shape. 

25 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Agreed great signing, winner, been there done it in the championship and great prospect. Hopefully we’ve got an option to buy if we get promoted. He was always my preferred choice but thought he’d go to the premier league given he’s proven he can do it in the championship 

• Like 3

Just now, saintwbu said:

There was talk of them extending it for a year so they still own him - can’t see them loaning out a good prospect and letting him go for free next year. Imagine announcement of his departure will be accompanied by a contract extension. 

I reckon it'll be like the AMN loan we did last year - they agree a new contract with him, which kicks in next summer if they decide - then send him out on loan.

If it doesn't work out, as was the case with AMN, they don't activate that new contract and let him walk as originally planned.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Mental we’re not just paying up for this kid. What’s the problem?

Might be more protracted trying to buy outright than a tie up a loan this late in the window.

Would hope for an option to buy at end of season though 

20 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So Stephens (who has to start when fit as captain), Bednarek, Holgate and THB, jeez that’s a tough one to pick two from.

Suspect we’ll let ABK go on loan.

Lascelles at Newcastle is club captain but doesn’t always play.  I’d wager if we keep ABK and sign this new lad, that will be the first choice pairing.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

why didn't Burnely go back for Harwood-Bellis?

They may have, who knows. Alternatively, it could that he's felt good enough for the championship, but not quite PL ready, at least not yet. 

Regardless, he'd be brilliant for us but I'm not sure where that leaves others - no room (or need) for all of them. 

• Like 1

Dortmund move ahead of Bayern in race for Bella-Kotchap

Borussia Dortmund have moved ahead of Bayern Munich in the race to sign Southampton defender Armel Bella-Kotchap, according to Sky in Germany

Bayern’s focus on signing Chelsea’s Trevoh Chalobah to bolster their defensive options has given Dortmund the chance to step up their pursuit of Bella-Kotchap. 

Sky Germany’s Florian Plettenberg reports that the Bella-Kotchap deal still has a way to go, though. 

Dortmund’s proposal includes a £6.8m loan fee with a £17.2m obligation to buy next summer, plus at least another £4m in bonus payments. 

Bella-Kotchap, 21, is yet to feature for Southampton this season because of injury.

A £28m deal for ABK? That's too good to turn down, surely.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Might be more protracted trying to buy outright than a tie up a loan this late in the window.

Would hope for an option to buy at end of season though 

We had similar with Bertrand a few years back and signed him permanently in the January window

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We have to include an option to buy, I’m sure our special relationship with Man City will work wonders.

A third loan with no option to buy would be disappointing.

I’m not sure Bednarek would leave unless a stupid bud was out in now, more likely that ABK will be loaned out.

Honestly a transfer would be nice but will you care if we go up? I know I won't. 

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We have to include an option to buy, I’m sure our special relationship with Man City will work wonders.

A third loan with no option to buy would be disappointing.

I’m not sure Bednarek would leave unless a stupid bud was out in now, more likely that ABK will be loaned out.

As he's out of contract next summer, there's little point in including any option tbh.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Dortmund move ahead of Bayern in race for Bella-Kotchap

Borussia Dortmund have moved ahead of Bayern Munich in the race to sign Southampton defender Armel Bella-Kotchap, according to Sky in Germany

Bayern’s focus on signing Chelsea’s Trevoh Chalobah to bolster their defensive options has given Dortmund the chance to step up their pursuit of Bella-Kotchap. 

Sky Germany’s Florian Plettenberg reports that the Bella-Kotchap deal still has a way to go, though. 

Dortmund’s proposal includes a £6.8m loan fee with a £17.2m obligation to buy next summer, plus at least another £4m in bonus payments. 

Bella-Kotchap, 21, is yet to feature for Southampton this season because of injury.

A £28m deal for ABK? That's too good to turn down, surely.

Get it done good deal 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed great signing, winner, been there done it in the championship and great prospect. Hopefully we’ve got an option to buy if we get promoted. He was always my preferred choice but thought he’d go to the premier league given he’s proven he can do it in the championship 

My lad who follows league far more than me was raving all summer he is one we should sign.

Lots of opposition for this one just hope it’s not Piroe mk2 and we dilly dally

• Like 1