Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Fan CaM

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Just head Den Haag seems he is playing the usual sour Man Utd managers. Apparently it wasn’t a sending off as Casemiro hadn’t been sent off in Europe he is totally innocen. the image I have seen shows it’s a bad challenge

It’s either way for me, I wouldn’t have been furious if it was only a yellow but equally I think a red is fair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Just head Den Haag seems he is playing the usual sour Man Utd managers. Apparently it wasn’t a sending off as Casemiro hadn’t been sent off in Europe in his 500 games he is totally innocen. the image I have seen shows it’s a bad challenge

Yeah at least if he accepted the over the top challenge i'd have more acceptance of him claiming a penalty for the rashford(throw his leg at Bazanu) appeal.

But the whole he's never been sent off in europe ergo he's innocent logic beggars belief.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

Stating the obvious but we have conceded 1 goal in 4 league games under Selles. That is a platform for progress.

This. 3 clean sheets out of 4 tough games is a great improvement for a team that had been conceding goals for fun. Keep this tight defending going and we'll give ourselves a chance. 

• Like 3

For my money, Sellés has done the near-impossible: made me fully re-engage. To live and die every moment of a match.

That was some dynamic, fearless football today, even before the sending off.

My heart was pumping throughout the entire second half. It felt good.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Yeah at least if he accepted the over the top challenge i'd have more acceptance of him claiming a penalty for the rashford(throw his leg at Bazanu) appeal.

But the whole he's never been sent off in europe ergo he's innocent logic beggars belief.

Rashford should have been booked for a blatant dive having intentionally clipped his own heels ! 

• Like 6

I know I shouldnt be, but can’t help but feel a little disappointed. Very positive on the whole but it is a bit deflating seeing our options off the bench. There was no one there today who ever seemed like influencing the game. Would much rather have Edozie coming off than A. Armstrong and Mara but it’s where we are as a squad. Shame as I thought the first XI were superb. Alcaraz has to play when fit - he’s quality.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ant said:

For my money, Sellés has done the near-impossible: made me fully re-engage. To live and die every moment of a match.

My Garmin watch was setting off alarms telling me that I had an unexplained high heart rate while watching that game! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great game and welcome point.  Excellent from Baz, the back 4, especially Bednarek and KWP.  Lavia and JWP pretty good, Charly with lots of energy and missed when taken off.

Up front I think many are being harsh on Theo, yes he misplaced a few touches but he is playing with intelligence and making runs others don’t.  Should have done better with the header but the 1 on 1 was a decent hit and great save.  Also the subes were a bit of what we have - not sure the game for Ballard but he needs more minutes.

still fighting 

• Like 1

I know some are disappointed we didn’t beat ten men but I’ll take anything against United. They always find a way to beat us no matter how we play so moments like a point up there, in the past few years certainly, are as rare as hens teeth.

Take the point, focus on picking up 3 on Wednesday and we go up to 16th. That’s the aim !

• Like 2

Strange game. Both teams had lots of chances. 

That shot from Man Utd that hit the inside of the post looked like it was going in all-day-long. Somehow didn't.

Plus very surprised the ref didn't give them the pen for the handball. Seen lots of similar ones given this year. Plus when one of theirs tripped over after getting very close to Bazunu - seen them given many a time up there. It wasn't a pen - but since when does that usually matter? Well played ref - made a pleasant change.

Very much all to play for over the last third of the season. Any of the bottom 9 could end up in the bottom 3. Quietly optimistic that one of them will NOT be Saints.

• Like 3

Just now, beatlesaint said:

I know some are disappointed we didn’t beat ten men but I’ll take anything against United. They always find a way to beat us no matter how we play so moments like a point up there, in the past few years certainly, are as rare as hens teeth.

Take the point, focus on picking up 3 on Wednesday and we go up to 16th. That’s the aim !

Absolutley, we could have equally lost that game and be even more frustrated. We didn't deserve to lose and I thought we deserved a win, but teams like them can win a game out of nothing - so however you play, coming away with something from OT/Anfield or wherever is a huge unexpected bonus that we need to take so much from.

• Like 3

Utd are used to getting everything their own way at Old Trafford with the refs, so its no surprise they get sour grapes when a ref isn't biased to them.

10-15 years ago maybe that is not a red card but everyone knows if you go over the ball like that, without control you are going to get sent off, it was dangerous and reckless. 

The real sad thing is, if the owners had just gone with Selles straight away we'd probably be comfortably mid table right now. Yeh we are still struggling to score but not much he can do about that, but we look far more solid, organised and confident so I think easily would have picked up 2-3 more wins and few draws in the Jones period and probably be on like 30+ points right now. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ant said:

Absolutely this, I’d add optimism to that list to. I genuinely feel like we could get out of this.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

He’s not wrong. 

fair play to him, had a decent game today. 

Growing in confidence, as is the rest of the side? 

Oh course, because the back four are at last going their job properly and shielding the goalkeeper as they should. Amazing after all the infantile vile abuse on here aimed at Bednarek and Bazunu that they can shrug it off and produce performances like this. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

I know I shouldnt be, but can’t help but feel a little disappointed. Very positive on the whole but it is a bit deflating seeing our options off the bench. There was no one there today who ever seemed like influencing the game. Would much rather have Edozie coming off than A. Armstrong and Mara but it’s where we are as a squad. Shame as I thought the first XI were superb. Alcaraz has to play when fit - he’s quality.

Oh do shut up and leave it to Selles.

50 minutes ago, Dman said:

Those 10 games have fucked us, let’s make no mistake. Ralph’s start wasn’t great and he was justifiably sacked, but that run of 10 or so games, which had a number of ‘6 pointers’ have relegated us. 

Yep, even draws in the forest game, I think they’d lost every away game and only scored one goal away until the played us and drawing instead of losing against 10 men wolves and we’d be out the relegation zone. Those games and those two awful results could kill us. Still we’ve got a chance now, do have some winnable fixture left, 4 weeks ago we looked dead and buried 

12 minutes ago, Scoobysaint said:

My Garmin watch was setting off alarms telling me that I had an unexplained high heart rate while watching that game! 

My cats heart rate was exceptional high as well,waiting for the inevitable late MU winner.

• Haha 2

The Redcafe is hilarious, absolutely delusional fans - I doubt any of them ever go to Old Trafford tbf - but apparently they were playing 10 vs 13 (ref and var against them), it was never a pen, they committed no dives, and they should have had a blatant penalty... also, we played for the draw apparently... despite having 17 shots and hitting the woodwork like 3 times. What a truly obnoxious fanbase....

Anyway, added bonus over how mad its made them 🤣

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-southampton.476151/page-2

image.png.8384cd4ba6e25d3b31396831e0d3f952.png

This gem in particular - "we got robbed today. One of the worst performances of a ref I've ever seen. I really hope ETH goes berserk now, ban or not. There is no excuse anymore for the refs, absolutely pathetic performance.

Soton are horric though and I hope they get relegated. 1 man more and they still play for the draw those absolute C***ts."

🙄

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Absolutely this, I’d add optimism to that list to. I genuinely feel like we could get out of this.

Agreed. We were definitely down had we stuck with Jones. Still a tough ask  but the hope is there now. Have got a bit of momentum behind us, maybe the likes of Leicester and Palace haven't got that. We seem to be able to grind out results and stay in games with a new found defensive solidity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep, even draws in the forest game, I think they’d lost every away game and only scored one goal away until the played us and drawing instead of losing against 10 men wolves and we’d be out the relegation zone. Those games and those two awful results could kill us. Still we’ve got a chance now, do have some winnable fixture left, 4 weeks ago we looked dead and buried 

Agree entirely.

Repeat today's performance and every game is winnable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

That table makes for very sobering reading.  When you’re bottom it doesn’t matter how many heroic draws you achieve - it’s three points that gets you out of the mire and we’re just not capable even against 10 men. Shocking how few shots on target our strikers got away…I stand by the contention that’s what will relegate us.

If we go down it will be the fault of one person only and we know who that is. Those games in January against our relegation rivals was a disaster. We replicate the results from the last 4 games over the next 12 and we stay up. Jones is squarely to blame - not our lack of goals. The worse manager this club has appointed in the last 50 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

If we go down it will be the fault of one person only and we know who that is. Those games in January against our relegation rivals was a disaster. We replicate the results from the last 4 games over the next 12 and we stay up. Jones is squarely to blame - not our lack of goals. The worse manager this club has appointed in the last 50 years.

Blame is with Ankersen. Jones needs to take his fair share, but he should never have been given the job in the first place. One of the craziest and bat shit ideas the club has ever done. Even worse than hiring Branfoot, Wigley and Gray.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The Redcafe is hilarious, absolutely delusional fans - I doubt any of them ever go to Old Trafford tbf - but apparently they were playing 10 vs 13 (ref and var against them), it was never a pen, they committed no dives, and they should have had a blatant penalty... also, we played for the draw apparently... despite having 17 shots and hitting the woodwork like 3 times. What a truly obnoxious fanbase....

This gem in particular - "we got robbed today. One of the worst performances of a ref I've ever seen. I really hope ETH goes berserk now, ban or not. There is no excuse anymore for the refs, absolutely pathetic performance.

Soton are horric though and I hope they get relegated. 1 man more and they still play for the draw those absolute C***ts."

🙄

Why did he *** out cheats?

Or cadets?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Nah, the blame will be fairly and squarely on Ankersen and his fancy algorithms.

• Like 2

I said before kick off I was optimistic and would have settled for a point although I believed it was winnable. One of the best 0-0 draws I have seen in many years. Diving and cheating are the norm but the Ref wasn’t intimidated by them. Roll on Wednesday and three points. All praise to the lads today. The posh name for shit is Manure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have to say, Bazunu was very good today.  Fair play to him.  He needs to use today as a benchmark.

Thought Janny B was decent as well.  All in all, it was a decent performance.

I was disappointed to see Adam A and Mara come on before Paul.  He has a brilliant scoring record, and will put chances away given the service.  
All in all, a good performance and another clean sheet.  Really important to beat Brentford on Wednesday.

• Like 5

Always hopeful that we could get something from this game but prepared for the worst. I was actually a little surprised at the red card as although you could see why it was those can go either way. Especially at old Trafford against the home team. Looked very even after that and could have gone either way. Draw was fair I think and most would have taken that result. Watched with a united fan and he thought the same. KWP with some big tackles in the corner and Bazunu making some saves I’d said to my mate wouldn’t happen if there were shots on target. JWP appealing when he could have got the ball was weird and was lucky to end up in a failed utd attack. Never understand when players don’t play to the whistle. Same as players grabbing the ball when they’re brought down. 

1 hour ago, ant said:

Heart pumping anxiety is pretty much a mainstay of my life as a saints fan except for a few years here and there! 😆

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

🙄

Jeez I know all football fans are biased but that is hilarious. These people are pampered fans, they win too much and get too much favour from the refs that they just cant handle things not going their way.

De Gea was MOM, we hit the woodwork, they were clearing off the line and we were at the least competing if not outplaying them when it was 11 v 11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Imagine you'd missed the game and then clicked onto bbc to check the result. You'd be buzzing and have expected a thrashing so that's a good result in anyone's book. 

Indeed. I watched the first half but missed the second half. Found out the final score about an hour after full time and was elated.

I've just read back through the match thread from half time onwards and it sounds like we had two efforts hit the woodwork and one cleared off the line and yet there are loads of posts saying we lacked a cutting edge. I don't doubt we have one of the bluntest attacking departments in the league but it sounds like we had enough decent chances today that didn't go in due to fine margins rather than not creating enough chances.

Anyway, great result... and a win Vs Brentford would upgrade it to a massive result. 

Lets get some positive vibes going!

COYS!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keef Girgo said:

Not that you'd know it from this forum, but 1/3 of the points we've claimed this season have come in the last 4 games.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Imagine if we’d replaced Ralph with someone decent instead of Nathan Truss

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Those 10 games have fucked us, let’s make no mistake. Ralph’s start wasn’t great and he was justifiably sacked, but that run of 10 or so games, which had a number of ‘6 pointers’ have relegated us. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That's "pony", surely...? ;)

• Haha 1

I think the whole starting XI had good games today

The back five were all excellent

Baz - was this his first clean sheet when the other side had a shot on target? A couple of really great saves, and generally commanded his area well

Bedders - I don't think he put a foot wrong today. Not often you can say that

ABK - I think "cleared by ..." and "headed away by Bella-Kochap" were the two things said most by the commentators today

KWP - One of his best performances for us. Made crucial, difficult tackles, and so unlucky not to score

Perraud - Kept Rashford really quiet, and involved quite a bit going forward

Of the rest, I thought JWP and Lavia had good games

Romeo keeps the ball so well, and draws an awful lot of fouls. It'd be good if he could win a few just on the left side of the penalty area D. Took a couple of awful looking long shots though

JWP went very close with both freekicks and had a decent game otherwise. But will we ever score from one of his corners? It's got to the point where I look at who's back for us on his corners, rather than who's trying to score from them. I'm coming to the conclusion that JWP should just try to put the ball in the goal with his corner kicks; is that allowed?

Alcaraz played well, and he kind of "won" the red card (not nefariously, just by being in the right place). I was disappointed he came off so early, but may have been wise given his celebration injury and the red card tackle on him

I think Theo has been a revelation recently. I presume he's been he made VC. He works his arse off, and is so often there crucially in defence seconds after helping build an attack. He fluffed a couple of gilt edged chances today, but he does at least seem to be making some chances

The front two were probably the weakest today, but I think they still played better than their replacements

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

This. 3 clean sheets out of 4 tough games is a great improvement for a team that had been conceding goals for fun. Keep this tight defending going and we'll give ourselves a chance. 

True, but only if our front players start to find the net, and upto now they haven't.   Draws are no good to us now, we need wins, and the only way to guarantee that is tight at the back and score up front. 

Just now, Micky said:

True, but only if our front players start to find the net, and upto now they haven't.   Draws are no good to us now, we need wins, and the only way to guarantee that is tight at the back and score up front. 

Well we won two of those games 1-0. Clean sheets give you a chance.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic