Russell Martin

LegalEagle

For so long we craved a manager that made the right substitutions at the right time. 
who acted and read the game. 
Tonight wasn’t the first time that his decisions alone changed the game. 
I raise my glass to him. 
he deserves credit where it’s due. 
stubborn bugger it seems,and tactical nous in abundance. 

• Like 11

Just listened to the post match after the match.

Never been in the RM camp tbf.

it would be another Adkins if we lost the first 5 Prem games and would be a shame. 

Loads in there and very open about stuff. Love the Basketball comment, which is I’m guessing is Futsal related 

Always been a massive fan of Futsal so keep that going for f(;((s sake. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, saint lard said:

For so long we craved a manager that made the right substitutions at the right time. 
who acted and read the game. 
Tonight wasn’t the first time that his decisions alone changed the game. 
I raise my glass to him. 
he deserves credit where it’s due. 
stubborn bugger it seems,and tactical nous in abundance. 

Yep, the subs were made at the right times. But....to counter that slightly, it makes your job a hell of a lot bloody easier when you have a choice of Aribo, Brooks, Rothwell, Sulemana, Edozie to bring on! The quality wins it in the end, but he has to put them on which he did.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep, the subs were made at the right times. But....to counter that slightly, it makes your job a hell of a lot bloody easier when you have a choice of Aribo, Brooks, Rothwell, Sulemana, Edozie to bring on! The quality wins it in the end, but he has to put them on which he did.

He does not have the choice of bringing on Mo-El in the premier league, for his ability against the ball

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

As others have said, I don't like the midfield, it's an accident waiting to happen. Teachers' pet and hopeless defender Manning shoe horned (ironically) in place of Stephens, and also no Shea. I have a horrible feeling the first half it'll be like Huddersfield, and by the time RM fixes it with subs it may too late this time.

I wasn't the only one who saw this coming, the starting line up was a joke. And it was so predictable, in having no proper defensive cover, plus playing Manning. It was a recipe for disaster.

And this was not a one-off mistake, he did the same against Huddersfield and Bristol, and earlier in that horrible 4 match losing streak. The WBA starting line up (given that Downes is out) was spot on. So what does he do, goes back to having a hot knife through butter midfield (and exacerbates it by bringing back his buddy Manning). IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T F*CKING FIX IT!!

What's that definition of insanity again?

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I wasn't the only one who saw this coming, the starting line up was a joke. And it was so predictable, in having no proper defensive cover, plus playing Manning. It was a recipe for disaster.

And this was not a one-off mistake, he did the same against Huddersfield and Bristol, and earlier in that horrible 4 match losing streak. The WBA starting line up (given that Downes is out) was spot on. So what does he do, goes back to having a hot knife through butter midfield (and exacerbates it by bringing back his buddy Manning). IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T F*CKING FIX IT!!

There’s a thin line between confidence & arrogance & Martin (or L ego) crosses it too much for my liking. Bristol was a horrendous performance, but WBA was a textbook away performance, one of the best we’ve produced for a while. It appears too simple for the great coach to go with “same again”, hes “cleverer” than that. 

I don’t buy all this “my fault” pony he comes out with either. If he really thought that, he would have learnt from those shite performances. The fact he replicated it yesterday shows what he really thinks. He knows best but the players didn’t execute it properly previously. Why else would you make the same mistake if you’ve acknowledged it & learnt from it? He doesn’t really think it was his fault, or tactically it was wrong, that’s  why. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t buy all this “my fault” pony he comes out with either. If he really thought that, he would have learnt from those shite performances. The fact he replicated it yesterday shows what he really thinks. He knows best but the players didn’t execute it properly previously. Why else would you make the same mistake if you’ve acknowledged it & learnt from it? He doesn’t really think it was his fault, or tactically it was wrong, that’s  why. 

Yeah, it's really unlikely that he could be saying one thing to the media and something completely different in the dressing room.... that's never happened in football before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Consistency is the key to victory. Take away the injuries, Martin needs to rediscover his best team. He’s seemingly reverted back to favouritism. 

• Like 1

Just read this in the Echo:

Would you have done anything differently with your starting XI now?

RM: I just spoke about it with the coaching staff in there and I will watch the game back tomorrow so I will have a more educated opinion on that.

But I trust all the players so whatever team I put on the pitch I trust to do what we ask, I have no problem putting anyone out there.

Che (Adams) wasn’t ready to start, Wee Man got a whack on Saturday and after a chat we felt it was best for him to come on.

Joe Aribo, looking back now - would I play him from the start? Yes. But we knew he wouldn’t last the whole game as he’s been away for a while.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn’t it?

What do you mean, hindsight? It was obvious to almost everyone before the ball was first kicked.

Very worrying if he believes that load of bollocks.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

What do you mean, hindsight? It was obvious to almost everyone before the ball was first kicked.

Even more worrying that he expects anyone else to believe it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Does he believe Smallbone can play DM.  If he does, he hasn’t been watching the same games as me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Sets up wide open for Hull then way more defensive for Millwall? Bizarre 

Not more defensive, Stephen’s is practically playing as a cm. Still wide open, don’t you worry.

• Like 1

He'll be manager until the end of the season regardless. But if he can't get this side promoted this year he certainly won't manage it next year - and for all our games unbeaten, we were rarely convincing (enough) to seriously justify the difference in squad quality vs the opposition. Next year he/we won't have that advantage as we will lose so many players that have been carrying us this year through individual quality. What's worrying me, is that he's repeating the same patterns he had at Swansea and MK (before that), with runs of poor form multiple times per season - where (with us at least), he has seemingly lost the plot and started tinkering and unbalancing the side too much.

He needs to badly get his shit together and get his tactics and selections back on track. He is still a young manager and saints are a step up for him... but we've had too much change and poor balance in recent weeks and its showing. Its almost certainly cost us automatics, but we really should still be going up through the playoffs. Earlier in the year, it would have been ridiculous to sack him (and i voted to keep him at that time). But honestly, if we fall out of the race for automatics and then don't get promoted, he's got to go in the summer imo. Sadly though, i think the club's future will be pretty bleak (promotion wise) at that point regardless, and it will be the last throw of the dice for a swift return to the prem next year.

What i do not want to hear from him is, "proud of the players, they're so brave, its my fault but i'll learn" etc. he needs to shove the fake humble bollocks about "being so grateful yada yada", and just sort it out on the pitch.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If we fail to go up, he needs to leave.

Lets see

He won’t. He’ll stick around until mid season next year and then will get sacked when we’re mid-table.

Poor manager being made to look better by good players. 

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

If we fail to win the play offs he's gotta go

Leeds and Leicester showing what can be done on comparable resources, and Ipswich showing what can be done with much more limited resources.

We've dropped below the 2 points per game as well, so we're not even on track "in any normal season" either.

On all dimensions he is failing right now.

• Like 3

Surely we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Rosenoir or McKenna in the summer.. whichever doesn’t go up. Both much better, tactically astute, managers achieving more on half the budget

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Surely we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Rosenoir or McKenna in the summer.. whichever doesn’t go up. Both much better, tactically astute, managers achieving more on half the budget

Leicester will have sacked their manager by then, perhaps we can get him in

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Was thinking Liam Rosenior has done an impressive job at Hull. Wouldn't be adverse to him if we don't go up.

Just now, bpsaint said:

Leicester will have sacked their manager by then, perhaps we can get him in

He rejected us in the summer. Can’t see him taking it this time round.. especially when his mate Wilcox has gone.

• Haha 1

I want him gone because I don’t really like the bloke. Comes across as incredibly arrogant and talks the same utter shite week after week. 

We’re not gonna sack him t this point though and rightly so. When we fail to go up, I’d be asking massive questions. There’s no way he’ll take us up next season with a significantly weakened squad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Was thinking Liam Rosenior has done an impressive job at Hull. Wouldn't be adverse to him if we don't go up.

Very similar style of play as Martin though. Would it more "all fart no shit"? 

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Very similar style of play as Martin though. Would it more "all fart no shit"? 

I dunno. Far less strolling about and obsession with 400+ passes between the back 4 per game 

1 minute ago, Jack said:

I dunno. Far less strolling about and obsession with 400+ passes between the back 4 per game 

Maybe you're right. I just look at Leeds and Ipswich. Both teams play decent football but aim to get the ball forward to their quick attackers at every opportunity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Maybe you're right. I just look at Leeds and Ipswich. Both teams play decent football but aim to get the ball forward to their quick attackers at every opportunity. 

And funnily enough we've looked at our best this season when getting the ball forward quicker.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Id far rather have Ralph as manager this year than any of the 3 that have proceeded him... Should not have been sacked imo. But obviously that doesn't fit with Sport Republic's vision (possible wet dream in fact) of having the highest possession stats in the football league (sadly).

Outside of the whole martin debate is where people sit on SR if we don't go up this year... especially given the club's ever darkening prospects the longer we stay at this level. Buck ultimately stops at the top.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Id far rather have Ralph as manager this year than any of the 3 that have proceeded him... Should not have been sacked. But obviously that doesn't fit with Sport Republic's vision / wet dream of having the highest possession stats in the football league.

I actually wanted Ralph sacked in the end as he looked knackered with it all but I certainly don't disagree that he'd have us closer to Leicester this season.