Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

12 hours ago, St. Neil said:

Get David de Gea in on a free for a few games, with a massive promotion bonus and then never play him like we did with Cáceres.

But he is shit with his feet, very bizarre how he's not joined anyone 

16 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

How the fuck he got a contract from Man City is beyond me.  How they got a transfer fee for him staggers me.

Proves that lighting does strike twice out of the same Sky Blue cloud - shame we didn't get the Cole Palmer of keepers despite 2 raids on City.

It’s pretty funny how so many people get upset with those happy by this news 

it’s not like we are wishing pain on bazunu .: it’s just it means that he now can’t be selected and he was a regular liability..

im pretty damn confident our goals against are gonna  be far better now .. feel free to requote  this  post if I’m wrong :)

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

it’s not like we are wishing pain on bazunu .: it’s just it means that he now can’t be selected and he was a regular liability..

im pretty damn confident our goals against are gonna  be far better now .. feel free to requote  this  post if I’m wrong :)

I'm not saying I did. But I might have had a similar thought when Macca finally got back into the side last season. Sadly, or thankfully, lots of therapy sessions have managed to blur whether it was the side in front of him, trying to absorb pressure to release Charlie on the break, or if he was just... tactfully... not at his best.

6 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Proves that lighting does strike twice out of the same Sky Blue cloud - shame we didn't get the Cole Palmer of keepers despite 2 raids on City.

And if you listen to Burnley fans - it’s happened 3 times as Trafford has been dropped after being found out (unsurprisingly) in the Prem.

I cannot fathom how scouts are getting away with this nonsense - everyone knows keepers don’t mature until at least mid 20s, quite how prem clubs with their wealth of cash and resources are doing this is ridiculous (of course we’ve actually done it twice) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

And if you listen to Burnley fans - it’s happened 3 times as Trafford has been dropped after being found out (unsurprisingly) in the Prem.

I cannot fathom how scouts are getting away with this nonsense - everyone knows keepers don’t mature until at least mid 20s, quite how prem clubs with their wealth of cash and resources are doing this is ridiculous (of course we’ve actually done it twice) 

Yeah Trafford is very much the Bazunu of this season, how Man City got around 40m combined for Gunn, Trafford and Bazunu is insane. We've been bitten twice by them.

They'll all have decent careers without doubt, but they were blooded in the top league too soon. I'm all for signing a young keeper as backup to an experienced lad but it's hard to justify spending £15m on a backup keeper, so he kind of has to play by default.

Edited by S-Clarke

Joe Lumley must be seriously pissed off a keeper that initially wasn't even on the team sheet (Mcarthy) suddenly chosen above you.... Martin obviously has no trust in him 

Confirmed out for 9-10 months. Also causes a problem for the summer as will need to find a starting keeper when probably not budgeted for, who might not be needed by the end of the season when Bazunu gets back.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Confirmed out for 9-10 months. Also causes a problem for the summer as will need to find a starting keeper when probably not budgeted for, who might not be needed by the end of the season when Bazunu gets back.

Wow, that's horrendous for him. Same injury as Ross Stewart.

Don't forget that we have Lis coming back, so that issue may already be covered.

Edited by S-Clarke

It'll be a tough one for him to come back from, in my opinon. Hopefully, by the time hes back, we'd have found a replacement who's consistently performing. 

Horrible injury for him personally but if it forces our hand to replace him, it could be a blessing for us. 

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't forget that we have Lis coming back, so that issue may already be covered.

Possibly in the Championship if they feel Lis is able to be a #1 but if Goztepe get promoted then I expect he will stay there as was clearly signed for them originally.

If we do go up then no chance it will be Lis - will need a signing or loan of an established keeper.

Extremely unlikely Lumley would be a starter in any division.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Do we think there may be financial reasons for Lumley being on the bench all season ahead of McCarthy? But when push really comes to shove, McCarthy seen as the safer pair of hands. Can’t think of any other reason for putting him in ahead of Lumley.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Do we think there may be financial reasons for Lumley being on the bench all season ahead of McCarthy? But when push really comes to shove, McCarthy seen as the safer pair of hands. Can’t think of any other reason for putting him in ahead of Lumley.

Experience in a difficult situation. That is all. I think Martin made a good decision. Lumley will be OK when he has prepared to play from the start. Will be interesting to see what Martin does tomorrow, McCarthy got a clean sheet (admittedly with very little to actually do) so might feel aggrieved to be dropped, but if he hadn't done that I feel pretty sure that Lumley would be selected to start.

15 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah Trafford is very much the Bazunu of this season, how Man City got around 40m combined for Gunn, Trafford and Bazunu is insane. We've been bitten twice by them.

They'll all have decent careers without doubt, but they were blooded in the top league too soon. I'm all for signing a young keeper as backup to an experienced lad but it's hard to justify spending £15m on a backup keeper, so he kind of has to play by default.

I don’t think Bazunu will have a good career.  

Awful news for the lad. Sounds from Martin's comments like he was in a pretty dark place on discovering the extent of the injury. 

I'm sure the club will support him well in every respect. Hopefully the fans can live up to the word 'supporters' and send him good wishes too at what must be a horrible time for him. 

Wishing him all the best for a full and speedy recovery. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Joe Lumley must be seriously pissed off a keeper that initially wasn't even on the team sheet (Mcarthy) suddenly chosen above you.... Martin obviously has no trust in him 

I wonder if Lumley was surprised or simply upset, because with team out on the pitch training I'm pretty sure he wasn't ready to start at 10 minutes notice.

With his contract running out Macca isn't even second choice now., but at such short notice  I think his experience won the day in the moment of panic.

If this " buddy / buddy relationship " between keepers is all it's cracked up to be, then Joe should put the interest of the team first ahead of his personal feelings,

and not getting upset and throwing his toys out of the pram, especially at such a critical time of the season.

This whole episode should blow over and Joe should be choice keeper for the remaining games, and Macca can finish his Saints career with a clean sheet.

If this doesn't satisfy everyone, then Joe can leave along with Macca and we will be looking for THREE keepers during the summer, and ideally the  no.1 

choice for next season must be an international for some country, especially if we do get promotion. 

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Possibly in the Championship if they feel Lis is able to be a #1 but if Goztepe get promoted then I  expect he will stay there as was clearly signed for them originally.

If we do go up then no chance it will be Lis - will need a signing or loan of an established keeper.

Extremely unlikely Lumley would be a starter in any division.

I think Lis was signed by Saints in the beginning... and then loaned out to Goztepe .  Not difficult as both clubs have the same ownership.

If he has improved enough to be our next season's no.1 , then we'll need a couple more names with some sort of quality about them, and he will need to be 

first choice keeper regardless of which country he ends up playing in.

20 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I mean, we had posters who were blaming him for the watford goals and who are utterly oblivious to how good his distribution is and how important it is to our play. Anyone who thinks its a good thing going into 3 must win games (and likely play offs) without our first choice (and frankly only keeper that suits our style of play) is absolutely deluded in my opinion - this weakens the team unquestionably.

We are going to go into must win games at Leicester and Leeds, as well as play off knock out matches with either Macca or Lumley. The former is a liability with the ball at his feet and anything at his near post, the latter is just a poor keeper although at least he can do the sweeper role to a degree. The only silver lining i can see is that it might actually introduce some concentration in our defence who seem to constantly switch off for fatal 5-10min periods in games... If it puts an end to the casual play consistently evidenced by our defenders (which is frankly the overwhelming reason we concede goals) maybe we'll get away with it...

• Like 2

Tough injury to take, especially for a keeper. Fingers crossed we don’t rush him back too soon, you just can’t rush these things. Proper recovery time is needed before he thinks of pulling on a saints shirt again. About 4 or 5 years should do it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s already had an amazing one. Most keepers with his ability would be playing down the local park on a Saturday / Sunday, not premier league / championship 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I mean, we had posters who were blaming him for the watford goals and who are utterly oblivious to how good his distribution is and how important it is to our play. Anyone who thinks its a good thing going into 3 must win games (and likely play offs) without our first choice (and frankly only keeper that suits our style of play) is absolutely deluded in my opinion - this weakens the team unquestionably.

We are going to go into must win games at Leicester and Leeds, as well as play off knock out matches with either Macca or Lumley. The former is a liability with the ball at his feet and anything at his near post, the latter is just a poor keeper although at least he can do the sweeper role to a degree. The only silver lining i can see is that it might actually introduce some concentration in our defence who seem to constantly switch off for fatal 5-10min periods in games... If it puts an end to the casual play consistently evidenced by our defenders (which is frankly the overwhelming reason we concede goals) maybe we'll get away with it...

Obviously we will miss Bazuna distribution but I see it as a positive in the respect we are far less likely to keep fannying around with it across the back with McCarthy in goal as he's just not good with the ball at his feet. This will hopefully encourage us to get the ball up the field quicker which was evident on Tuesday albeit against a team that was not interested really. The true indicator will be against Leicester and Leeds who will press us and we won't have as much of the ball. 

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I did, but after this? Not so sure. We're going to need to sign a new number one in the summer now - not a stop gap, not a "can do a job", we need to get the best keeper available with the funds we have. And with Bazunu coming back from a serious injury and a new keeper potentially cementing his place in the team, who knows if he'll progress on the expected trajectory at all. 

7 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Obviously we will miss Bazuna distribution but I see it as a positive in the respect we are far less likely to keep fannying around with it across the back with McCarthy in goal as he's just not good with the ball at his feet. This will hopefully encourage us to get the ball up the field quicker which was evident on Tuesday albeit against a team that was not interested really. The true indicator will be against Leicester and Leeds who will press us and we won't have as much of the ball. 

Lately, and Watford was a great example, we've used Baz, che, and other runners to go long repeatedly after drawing the oppo on to us, and to really good effect. That is off the cards with Lumley and Macca's kicking/throwing. People might find our football boring or ineffective, but it works - and being forced to change it now is a risk with respect to how it will impact the side. If we wind up in a situation where Leeds or Leicester don't need the win, or where teams are pushing up on us with a high line etc. the other two keepers just don't have the distribution to get us out effectively - and without that ability to mix it up we may well struggle. Not to mention our defence are going to expect to be able to pass it back and around very nearly at the back.. I don't know how the rest of you feel about Macca and Lumley, but their touch and positional play is no where near as good as Baz's, and Macca is as likely to find the touchline as our own players if kicking to the halfway line 😅.

Edited by Saint86

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The solution seems obvious to me, play Ross Stewart in goal!

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I did, but after this? Not so sure. We're going to need to sign a new number one in the summer now - not a stop gap, not a "can do a job", we need to get the best keeper available with the funds we have. And with Bazunu coming back from a serious injury and a new keeper potentially cementing his place in the team, who knows if he'll progress on the expected trajectory at all. 

I think our expected trajectories are quite different.

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Lately, and Watford was a great example, we've used Baz, che, and other runners to go long repeatedly after drawing the oppo on to us, and to really good effect. That is off the cards with Lumley and Macca's kicking/throwing. People might find our football boring or ineffective, but it works - and being forced to change it now is a risk with respect to how it will impact the side. If we wind up in a situation where Leeds or Leicester don't need the win, or where teams are pushing up on us with a high line etc. the other two keepers just don't have the distribution to get us out effectively - and without that ability to mix it up we may well struggle. Not to mention our defence are going to expect to be able to pass it back and around very nearly at the back.. I don't know how the rest of you feel about Macca and Lumley, but their touch and positional play is no where near as good as Baz's, and Macca is as likely to find the touchline as our own players if kicking to the halfway line 😅.

Lumley is good with his feet and at least Leeds and Leicester won’t just have to shoot on target against us to score.

58 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Lumley is good with his feet and at least Leeds and Leicester won’t just have to shoot on target against us to score.

Really? Did you not see the compilation of Lumley “highlights” someone posted the other day?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david in sweden said:

and ideally the  no.1 

choice for next season must be an international for some country, especially if we do get promotion. 

Probably not for Ireland, though, unless it is that Kelleher Ireland keeper from Liverhampton; he would do for our first-choice keeper (not that we would ever get him).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Iol I couldn’t care less if his distribution is as good as Glenn  hoddle. What good does it do us ? What’s more important the fact that nearly any shot on our goal goes in past bazunu or his  silly distribution ?

hes been absolutely shocking for 2 years 

it’s like people try to find anything to argue his cause his job is to keep the bell out of the net and he totally sucks at it 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Lumley was the worst shot stopper in the Championship last season, not Baz-levels of poor stats but in the same category. I feel like our recruitment is just taking the piss.

• Like 2

We can either play Lumley or AM for the next few games. 

Baz is out of the picture for 10 months and we are going to have to buy a new keeper next season whatever league we are in so it’s unfortunate for Baz but I think it accelerates the inevitable need to buy a new keeper because Baz in my view isn’t a top level keeper

49 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Lumley was the worst shot stopper in the Championship last season, not Baz-levels of poor stats but in the same category. I feel like our recruitment is just taking the piss.

Have you watched his games this season? He has played well every time selected. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Have you watched his games this season? He has played well every time selected. 

He's been ok but I can remember the odd fumble or two.

Whatever, it's between him and McCarthy which is a ridiculous situation to find ourselves in.

23 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He's let in 85 goals so far this season. 

One assumes the quality of Rotherham's defence was a factor in a significant number of those goals. The more important stat is how many goal preventing saves he made. Do we know how he's compares with Bazunu on that measure? (As a percentage of shots on goal, as no doubt he'll have had many more shots to deal with than Bazunu overall)

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu