Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

4 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Maybe I expect too much but all I've seen in the last 10 mins is basically the same as last year. Not much real threat. Slow, ponderous football. 

78% possesion. You didn't see that last season.

• Like 4

Please say we aren't selling Tella this season regardless of the price.

Disappointing we haven't made them pay. Hopefully we'll get 2nd in 2nd half as i still feel we could easily get done via set piece or a quick counter and cross.

No var is good, weaker ref is bad. Windass has somehow come out of that half unbooked, whilst there have been 5 bookings for much less. (2 horrible fouls where he was obviouslydeliberately  leaving something extra on KWP).

Patterson looks a walking red card if we can keep edozie running at him.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

Been engrossed in that half, lots of positives. KWP looks best player on park IMO combining very well with Tella. JWP a bit off pace as is Charly but very comfortable. Edozie as last season a turn of pace and great trick but it’s that final ball. Martin knows that. So obvious that we need that mobile focal point in attack. Put a Piroe in there and I think we’d be going in three up. Interesting second half awaits, lovely to be enjoying football again! 

• Like 3

Difficult to read too much into that, SW not the strongest opposition, and we don’t know exactly how we’ll line up by the end of the transfer window, but we’ve looked very decent and there’s a lot to be encouraged by.

• Like 2

Surprised by just how poor SW are, though we are also making them look poor. One thing I've seen is us swinging quite a few crosses in. I know he 'technically' got the goal. but Armstrong doesn't even look close to scoring.

Hard to know at this stage if we have progressed, as I would expect our side last season to dominate possession, and we haven't actually created that many clear cut chances. I like how we are winning the ball back so quickly.

Need, at the very least, one more goal to really reward our possession/movement/pasing. Feel like we're living dangerously while just 0-1 up. Not confident in our defense yet.

That said, and with last season's memories in mind, the first 45 were enjoyable. Time for a cuppa and a bag of Wotsits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

KWP had a superb first half. Are you watching a different game?

Yeah i dunno he's played well but i just expect him to lose the ball leading to a turn over (which he hasnt done), i dunno why, maybe its the stuart armstrong effect, just expecting someone to lose it in the centre cirlce.

Edited by Convict Colony

3 minutes ago, It's There said:

I have we EVER had these possession stats ?A new record for a half  at passing! 😇

3 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I’m sure sky just said that we’ve set a record in the championship for the most passes in the 1st half 

Yep. Championship record. 477 passes in a half. 
All very impressive…but meaningless if there’s no end product and it’s not going in the  onion bag. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 3

About as confortable a half as could have been hoped for. It tailed off towards the end of the half. You'd like to think that there's more of a cutting edge to come from this team. Perhaps with Tella there and Alcaraz for a whole season, but we've seen the same sort from the others. Here, it was breaking through a Wednesday team that weren't that compact, but not risking much either.

Although it was a team without Tino, Sulemana or Lavia in it, we still have key players out there that will make all the difference. KWP was probably the best of these. Keen to get forward, and link in with the others such as Tella on that flank and JWP, continuing from last season. JWP and Tella also make a big difference.

AA picked for his hard work and keeness to drop deep to link up. Got a goal out of the half, even if he was trying to get out of the way of Tella's shot.

The defence didn't have much to do. Although there were the occassional big gaps, with players running back.

Smallbone seemed a little unsure defensively. He didn;t have much to do. Happy to make sideways passes, to slowly build up moves. He's probably more like JWP than anything else, and if JWP leaves with Lavia, we're going to need a proper defensive midfielder.

Bazunu had nothing to do, and Stephens was aggressive and comfortable on the ball.

Edozie kept trying to take on his man, and got more success as the half went on. FInal delivery let him down a bit in terms of purpse and power. But after gettign a telling off from Martin, that seemed to get better too.

More of the same for the second half please. We are going to have tougher tests than a prmoted club though, so that cutting edge would be nice.

It's wild that despite our relegation, and loss of several squad players, this actually looks a better team to any we had last year.  Smallbone and Tella are big adds. Plus Edozie given an actual chance to play.  Smallbone looks so relaxed. Killer through ball coming from him.    One of the key benefits of our possession game is that it hugely limits Wednesday's chances to build anything.  And just as last year mistakes bred a loss of confidence, the more we keep this control, the more confidence we'll build.

Hope.

• Like 1

Defo going to be a few missed last trains home if evening games keep getting stretched out by 15/20 minutes!

Pleased overall, tidy and in control if not smashing it. We look nervy when they counter (a new CB or a fit ABK will help there whichever is more likely come September) and AA up front is never the answer despite his deflection. Smallbone as a DM needs improving too.

Positive signs though when you remember Martin has only been here a month and a half. We have good subs so this should, SHOULD, still be comfortable in the second half.

7 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

With the addition of a prolific scorer at this level I feel very optimistic for this season.

We must keep tella he's invaluable and £15m from burnley won't replace that

We need to give him a wee rise if he wants to stay - he could well be our ticket back to the top, a goal haul like his last season would be invaluable!

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

AA picked for his hard work and keeness to drop deep to link up. Got a goal out of the half, even if he was trying to get out of the way of Tella's shot.

Yeah his work rate has been excellent, nice bit of luck with the goal but his defending and pressing from the front has been excellent.

Edited by Convict Colony

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Please say we aren't selling Tella this season regardless of the price.

Disappointing we haven't made them pay. Hopefully we'll get 2nd in 2nd half as i still feel we could easily get done via set piece or a quick counter and cross.

No var is good, weaker ref is bad. Windass has somehow come out of that half unbooked, whilst there have been 5 bookings for much less. (2 horrible fouls where he was obviouslydeliberately  leaving something extra on KWP).

Patterson looks a walking red card if we can keep edozie running at him.

It's baked into our system that all that ball chasing tires the opposition in the second half. Hopefully the second goal will come

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Russell Martin going back to his seat at half-time rather than straight down the tunnel.... what's that all about?

Maybe he has a meeting with his coaching team before going to the players at half time? Not seen it before but there’s a logic there if that’s the case.

10 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Maybe I expect too much but all I've seen in the last 10 mins is basically the same as last year. Not much real threat. Slow, ponderous football. 

We took our foot off the gas towards the end of the half I agree, perhaps to conserve energy? Games this season could easily approach 2 hours long with the new rules.

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We look dominant, reallh dominant

The only things that worry me are JS/JB passing is dodgy at times and Smallbone just isn’t a DM, we need some steel in there

I don’t necessarily disagree but on tonight’s showing it hasn’t made too much difference. Against better sides I think it will and I wonder if Charles will get the nod for games where we’ll have less posession. Smallbone has kept things ticking over quite nicely but I do agree with your overall point about him.

• Like 1

Wednesday are playing like the away side. They know that if they don't keep nearly everyone behind the ball we'll rip through them with our slick passing - this is making it difficult to create clear cut chances. At some stage you would think they are going to have to come out and that might give us more space.

Would like us to turn all that possession into a second goal.

Wednesday haven't offered anything yet, but if they go direct and physical I think they'll have some success against this lightweight line up. Apart from perhaps Bednarek, everyone else will get bullied.

Played nicely so far, though. Look like a premier league team against a league one side, for some reason.

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Would like us to turn all that possession into a second goal.

Wednesday haven't offered anything yet, but if they go direct and physical I think they'll have some success against this lightweight line up. Apart from perhaps Bednarek, everyone else will get bullied.

Played nicely so far, though. Look like a premier league team against a league one side, for some reason.

We are only going to get better. Definitely getting a striker.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic