Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

1 minute ago, Block41 Saint said:

Norwich/WBA will fancy their chances in the POs against us and Leeds. 

Of course they will, league is irrelevant by then its just cup football not sure we'll be set up right for that 

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s even easier than that. Beat Stoke 6-0 and if Ipswich don’t get more than a draw we might only need to beat Leeds 5-0 😳

Two goals since then so beat Stoke 5-0 tomorrow then take it easy with a 4-0 at Ellend Road to clinch promotion :smug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just looking at the whole form thing for context, last years contenders finished the league:

1. Luton
  2. Boro
  3. Coventry
  4. Sunderland

Ranked in order of form over the last 6 games they were

1. Sunderland - 14 points W4 D2 L0
  2. Luton - 12 points - W3 D3 L0
  3. Coventry - 12 points - W3 D3 L0
  4. Boro - 8 points - W2 D2 L2

• Like 1

Excellent performance from QPR. They worked very hard right from the start, to close down Leeds' preferred passing options from the back.

Where we are very comfortable creating passing angles, Leeds a bit less so. So, they were doing a lot of straight passes from deep, to break the QPR line.

Practically none of them came off. With Chair running things, QPR had a match winner on the park. He was key to a lot of their efforts. It would be nice to have a player capable of that. Early impact Fraser was about as close as we got.

That opening spell did for a lot of Leeds' efforts. They couldn't match the work rate. Gnonto was huffing about after that, and Summerville kept very quiet.

Leeds also tried to get a lot of the ball to Firpo. I remember one right across to where Banford would be on the end of it. Except, he was injured and sitting in the stand. The rest of the time QPR were very switched on to this tactic, and watched and marshalled (not Scott, obviously) the runners really well.

Leeds folded in set pieces in the second half too. They left plenty of space to straightforward crosses, that were both guided in well. Simple, after a lot of work in the training ground.

If it wasn't for the fact we'll do what we always set up to do, there would be things we could learn ahead of our match against them. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Excellent performance from QPR. They worked very hard right from the start, to close down Leeds' preferred passing options from the back.

🙂

It’s almost like teams have figured out how to stop limited players from playing this system… 

Just now, Raging Bull said:

It’s almost like teams have figured out how to stop limited players from playing this system… 

No, that can't be right. Because, if that were the case it would be utter madness to continue to do exactly the same thing every match, and that's something I know our manag...oh... 🙂

1 minute ago, Dr Who? said:

Norwich or WBA will go up I think. Seems us and Leeds cannot stomach it! 

It was only a month ago people were saying Leeds were unstoppable and they couldn't see them losing again all season. One international break later, with promotion in their grasp, they get zero points from Blackburn and QPR. Anything can happen in the playoffs, in fact WBA could still bottle them entirely, their only win in the last six was Rotherham at home.

7 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

No, that can't be right. Because, if that were the case it would be utter madness to continue to do exactly the same thing every match, and that's something I know our manag...oh... 🙂

To be fair, I shouldn’t be a div about it, we’ve played some great stuff at times and going 5 months unbeaten is amazing, especially when you consider the last few years. 

RM does need praise for this. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It was only a month ago people were saying Leeds were unstoppable and they couldn't see them losing again all season. One international break later, with promotion in their grasp, they get zero points from Blackburn and QPR. Anything can happen in the playoffs, in fact WBA could still bottle them entirely, their only win in the last six was Rotherham at home.

A win for Ipswich tomorrow at Hull and wba are basically there. 

44 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Leeds have absolutely tremendous mental fortitude. So strong, so brave.

I wish we had a manager and players who know how to win important games. It's the sort of never say die attitude and the will to win that sets Leeds apart from teams like us.

Well done to Leicester. They were the best side for half the season and despite letting a healthy lead in the League slip, then kept plugging away. They have largely gone back up on the base of still having some Prem players despite losing 3 or 4 and some decent recruitment. I'm hugely surprised at the Leeds result, they have the best attack in the Championship by miles - but the ball is definitely now in Ipswich's court. Leeds in the play-offs will be a disaster though as even if we get to the final it will likely be them we face - and I don't fancy us against them at all.

Still, interesting few weeks ahead. That promotion feeling would really make the summer amazing. Hot sun, beer gardens, cold booze and the Euros. Noice.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Well done to Leicester. They were the best side for half the season and despite letting a healthy lead in the League slip, then kept plugging away. They have largely gone back up on the base of still having some Prem players despite losing 3 or 4 and some decent recruitment. I'm hugely surprised at the Leeds result, they have the best attack in the Championship by miles - but the ball is definitely now in Ipswich's court. Leeds in the play-offs will be a disaster though as even if we get to the final it will likely be them we face - and I don't fancy us against them at all.

Still, interesting few weeks ahead. That promotion feeling would really make the summer amazing. Hot sun, beer gardens, cold booze and the Euros. Noice.

Which team (Ipswich or Leeds) do you want to play against in the playoffs? I think we still have a say, right?!

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Fortunately for Leeds they’ve a team next that’ll likely roll over like a whipped cur, which puts pressure on Ipswich to win 2 of their last 3.

Leeds rolled over themselves yesterday. Nothing in that performance suggests they are remotely fussed about promotion. It was probably worse than us against Leicester because at least Leicester have a load of good players whereas QPR are highly ordinary.

• Like 1

Fair play to Leicester and Ipswich who have overall been the best 2 teams in the champ.

As for the playoffs my money would be on Norwich who have entered them on a decent run whereas Saints\Leeds\WBA look jaded.

I just hope we avoid them.

Edited by Cabrone

What a s*****w the Prem is.  Anthony Taylor with a howler decision.

GK drops the ball down, Gakpo comes in to tap it in and Taylor blows his whistle.  Then goes over to the keeper who collapses like a sack of spuds to feign injury.

ANd at no point prior to the keeper dropping the ball was the whistle blown.

2 hours ago, HKsaint said:

JWP is warming the bench. 

He seems to be fading in WH eyes although gets reasonable ratings , has been subbed a few times and not started once or twice but came on at 74 mins .

Edited by East Kent Saint

7 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

He seems to be fading in WH eyes although gets reasonable ratings , has been subbed a few times and not started once or twice but came on at 74 mins .

We should get him back after promotion 

Everton the turd that just won't flush! Even after being deducted 8 points and losing lots of games, they're still not getting relegated. Jammy bastards.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Ipswich are everything we aren’t at the moment. Bottle, graft, up for it 

Winning mentality, don’t know when they’re beaten, know how to win. We’re the opposite, for sure. 

• Like 1