Sunderland 5-0 Southampton

coalman

Given that there's no topic for this yet I'm going to put my perfect match day thread record on the line.

We've had a decent start, unbeaten in the league but will the end of the transfer window see a vastly reduced side or will we continue to compete? Can we get a clean sheet? Will we finally sign a striker?

Beginning of a tricky sequence of Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds which should go a long way to answering whether we're getting promoted straight back up. 

Bazunu

KWP        Bednarek      Holgate      Manning

Charles       Downes

Edozie           Alcaraz         Fraser

AArmstrong             

Given our current run of results I can only predict a 2-1 win. Can see Alcaraz getting on the scoresheet and AArmstrong to continue his goal beastery.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one. I’m going with my 11 year old son (Saints fan) and his 9 year old cousin, (Liverpool fan) and I am hoping to convert the Liverpool fan into Saints fan… I won’t hold my breath. This will be the biggest crowd he has been to for a game, as all Carlisle thus far. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coalman said:

Given that there's no topic for this yet I'm going to put my perfect match day thread record on the line.

We've had a decent start, unbeaten in the league but will the end of the transfer window see a vastly reduced side or will we continue to compete? Can we get a clean sheet? Will we finally sign a striker?

Beginning of a tricky sequence of Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds which should go a long way to answering whether we're getting promoted straight back up. 

Bazunu

KWP        Bednarek      Holgate      Mannin

Charles       Downes

AArmstrong             

Given our current run of results I can only predict a 2-1 win. Can see Alcaraz getting on the scoresheet and AArmstrong to continue his goal beastery.

Not keen on AA as a loan striker, he's proved better in a deeper role on the left and looks to enjoy playing behind Fraser. If Adams is sold we need his replacement in quick and hopefully ready to lead the line next week against Sunderland.

I think any signings may not start on Saturday as Russell Martin will want to give them time to fit in to the 'system'

Flynn Downes was Ok as he understood playing style from his Swansea days.

I think Coalman's team is probably the most likely and hopefully KWP will be on the team sheet, otherwise likely to be Bree.

Possibility of Smallbone being on the bench 

I'd sooner start Mara, assuming Adams is off, simply to allow ArmA in a deeper role. When Mara came on at the weekend, ArmA began running the game.

Alternatively, Alcaraz can have a crack at striker. I just feel like it would be a mistake not to have ArmA in that deeper role when he's playing so well.

• Like 5

Armstrong has been excellent playing 'off' the central striker. I would suggest drop Alcaraz to keep him in the 8/10 position. 

However, if Adams is not here, who plays as the focal point - no idea (Mara I guess), unless we have someone in within the next 24 hours, which is not going to happen

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, benjii said:

I'd sooner start Mara, assuming Adams is off, simply to allow ArmA in a deeper role. When Mara came on at the weekend, ArmA began running the game.

Alternatively, Alcaraz can have a crack at striker. I just feel like it would be a mistake not to have ArmA in that deeper role when he's playing so well.

I'd be interested in seeing how Mara fared with a run in the side. And giving AdamA a run in the role behind the striker. For all his faults that finish on Saturday was clinical for all that I think everyone was confused as to where his first touch was going

• Like 2

Just now, coalman said:

I'd be interested in seeing how Mara fared with a run in the side. And giving AdamA a run in the role behind the striker. For all his faults that finish on Saturday was clinical for all that I think everyone was confused as to where his first touch was going

I think he was initially 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Not keen on AA as a loan striker, he's proved better in a deeper role on the left and looks to enjoy playing behind Fraser. If Adams is sold we need his replacement in quick and hopefully ready to lead the line next week against Sunderland.

That's ok, we bought him...

• Haha 2

Sunderland in a bit of an injury crisis?

I saw they had 10 or 11 players out for the Rotherham game and their main men going forward, Patrick Roberts and Ross Stewart, are both sidelined for this one too.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Baz

KWP (please!) Bednarek, Holgate, Manning

Downes, Charles

Edozie, AA, Fraser

Ings

😀

Swapping Alcarez or Adams for Ings that’s a strong championship side. Any new signings will probably start on the bench along with Bree, Aribo, Mara and one or two youngsters. 

Last time I went to the Stadium of Light was 2017, and we won 0-1 with a Tadic penalty. This was my sons first game watching Saints as a 5 year old. He next saw us win a game at Goodison Park last season 1-2 as a 11 year old!  I was more happy for him that afternoon at Goodison when JWP banged in that free kick than the 3 points. 

So hopefully we are on a run as we are going to the game Saturday then Boro. 

Sunderland are poor, and have so many of their poor players out as well, so I think 2-2. 😆 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

I see that the coaches leave St Marys at 03..45.

I think I'll watch it on the box.

I've just had a look and it's on Sky  so down the pub it is. There's an ex-Sunderland player there who watches the football so it should be on!

6 hours ago, coalman said:

Bazunu

KWP        Bednarek      Holgate      Manning

Charles       Downes

AArmstrong             

How on earth anyone could put AA up front in a suggested team after the amount of games he’s played there and been really very poor is a complete mystery. Midfield fine but up top - NO. 

• Like 2

I think I would go with the following line-up as it is probably closer to the version of 4-3-3 (4-1-2-3) that we have been playing and keeps our wingers in their normal positions instead of swapping them around as everyone has done above!! 😁

Bazunu

|          Bednarek      Holgate        |

KWP                  Charles             Manning

|                     Smallbone                  |

v                       Alcaraz                     v

SAA                     Arma                   Edozie

In this Charles is the sitting CDM, Smallbone operates in a box-to-box role and Alcaraz provides the AM role, but may alternate to some degree with Smallbone behind him and with Arma ahead of him, thus making Arma into more of a false nine than an out and out centre forward (which would suit him better).

As subs we would have:

• Lumley or McCarthy (or new GK if McCarthy is sold/loaned out??)
  • Bree/new FB (Johnson?)/Larios
  • New CB/ABK - I am assuming ABK will be sold or go out on loan, which could lead to us purchasing another new CB (probably Nathan Wood). If ABK does stay he may remain as sub or may start if he is getting back to full fitness.
  • Downes (or he may start if Smallbone is not deemed fit enough to start)
  • S.Armstrong
  • Aribo
  • Fraser (or he starts and one of the other wingers starts on bench)
  • Sulemana or New winger (Tella replacement - Paintsil/Roberts/Rak-Sakyi?) or Doyle
  • Adams/New striker (or Ballard/Mara if new striker (Miovski/Shankland/Stewart) is not yet match-ready)

NB If Aribo goes this would open up the possibility of both Adams/new striker AND Ballard or Mara being on the bench or, if he doesn't leave (and is fit) Sulemana could feature as well as Fraser and the other new winger, though it would seem odd to feature so many wingers in the squad!

PS Let's be honest though, there are far too many unknowns at present to be sure who will/won't be in our squad and ready for selection next Saturday!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Last time I was at the SoL Dean Richards scored a late headed equalizer but there was still time left for Jo Tessem to miss an absolute sitter at the death!

I was at that game. My mate represented Southampton in a pub pie eating competition before the game and nearly got into a scrap with his Sunderland opponent on the stage. We won the pie eating competition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Transfer window will no doubt interrupt our preparations for this game as well, squad due to travel up on Friday afternoon just as deadline day is hotting up, not sure how they manage that. 

JW will presumably handle transfers and be in contact with RM by telephone. Just hope we don't leave all our business until Friday.

1 hour ago, saintant said:

JW will presumably handle transfers and be in contact with RM by telephone. Just hope we don't leave all our business until Friday.

My point was more about which players will travel , any last min bids they'll be in a North East Hotel 

2 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Went in 2006 when Leon Crouch chartered a plane for Saints fans. We were just on on way out of ground when Bale equalised in a 1 - 1 draw.  I was back indoors at 20.40 pm and the plane only left Newcastle airport at 19.00.

That was my one and only trip to the SoL. Went with a Geordie mate, who got quite drunk before the game. He couldn't understand why we kept singing "Sunderland", and I had to explain to him that we were actually signing "Southerners".

I fancy that this is perhaps our easiest game of the season so far, on paper at least. Some will Sheff. Wed. as they are bottom without a point so far, and I agree to some extent, but as a first game of the season they are never so easy. Sunderland are also newly promoted and are without their best forward player. So for me this is a very winnable game. That said, being we are still a work in progress I would take a draw. But, we really should be winning this.

Sunderland 1 Southampton 3.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I fancy that this is perhaps our easiest game of the season so far, on paper at least. Some will Sheff. Wed. as they are bottom without a point so far, and I agree to some extent, but as a first game of the season they are never so easy. Sunderland are also newly promoted and are without their best forward player. So for me this is a very winnable game. That said, being we are still a work in progress I would take a draw. But, we really should be winning this.

They came up the year before and reached the Championship Play-Off final (lost to Luton). Some injuries but one of the fancied sides this season I believe.

Between 1,600-2000 going up for this, I salute you, this is the third time we've had Sunderland away with a 12.30 kick-off in recent memory, somebody fucking hates us in tele land.

23 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Think this will be one of the tougher games of the season imo, particularly at a near sell out Stadium of Light. A draw would be a decent result.

There is no way that Sam Amo starts this one and no way he leaves Downes out of the starting line up.

All depends on Che being here as to the makeup of our midfield I reckon as Arma is not getting dropped.

Could mean both Stu and Alcaraz on the bench.

Edited by northam soul

6 hours ago, northam soul said:

There is no way that Sam Amo starts this one and no way he leaves Downes out of the starting line up.

All depends on Che being here as to the makeup of our midfield I reckon as Arma is not getting dropped.

Could mean both Stu and Alcaraz on the bench.

Wouldn't be against dropping Alcaraz after his lacklustre display on Saturday. Would be harsh on Stu though but if Adams stays then he's gotta play up top with Arma in behind him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It's his weedy little legs and his style of play (a lot of twisting and turning at speed) putting strain on his muscles. 

At one point on saturday the QPR right back decided it was better to sit down and admire the view as Edoize twisted and turned. Edoize should get a bonus for every RB he sits down.

Edited by HnycS
Spelling
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, HnycS said:

At one point on saturday the QPR right back decided it was better to sit down and admire the view as Edoize twisted and turned. Edoize should get a bonus for every RB he sits down.

QPR's right back was terrible though. He had a horrid time all throughout the game. 

Their left back on the other hand looked really handy defensively.

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

QPR's right back was terrible though. He had a horrid time all throughout the game. 

Their left back on the other hand looked really handy defensively.

Edozie had him on toast, but Smith did hit our bar and make a couple of decent crosses for them, which they fortunately wasted.

On 29/08/2023 at 01:23, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I think I would go with the following line-up as it is probably closer to the version of 4-3-3 (4-1-2-3) that we have been playing and keeps our wingers in their normal positions instead of swapping them around as everyone has done above!! 😁

Bazunu

|          Bednarek      Holgate        |

KWP                  Charles             Manning

|                     Smallbone                  |

v                       Alcaraz                     v

SAA                     Arma                   Edozie

Hard to call with so many variables we dont know, will Che be here, is Smallbone ready? If Sulemana still here how has his attitude been? ABKs fitness? Anyone else who will be gone? 

But I think Fraser, Downes and Smallbone are all seen as starters if fit. 

Could be 

Fraser/ Downes/ Smallbone/Edozie

Arma

Alcarez or Mara (or Che) 

Or maybe Charles with Smallbone in a more advanced role and Arma further forward. 

Think this will be a telling test. Frustrating that it's a 12.30 kick-off which translates to 4.30am Saturday morning for me. No way I can get to watch this as I refuse to pay $200+ to DAZN to watch just the 6 or 7 Saints games they cover - I can watch every Premier league game for less. 

EFL have really screwed up access to coverage for overseas fans.

BTW, for others in the same boat, I paid $20 for access to the Live Player app...it's hit or miss if the game is covered live but good quality links on your mobile you can mirror on the TV when it works.

12 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Think this will be a telling test. Frustrating that it's a 12.30 kick-off which translates to 4.30am Saturday morning for me. No way I can get to watch this as I refuse to pay $200+ to DAZN to watch just the 6 or 7 Saints games they cover - I can watch every Premier league game for less. 

EFL have really screwed up access to coverage for overseas fans.

BTW, for others in the same boat, I paid $20 for access to the Live Player app...it's hit or miss if the game is covered live but good quality links on your mobile you can mirror on the TV when it works.

Don't think it will be on the app because it's on TV? Isn't that how it works, only non-TV games are shown on it?

Interesting point made at press conference yesterday that the window doesn’t close until 23:00 on Friday. 
We will be travelling to Sunderland for 12:30 ko Saturday so potentially have a team selected and on coach/flight that could all of a sudden could have players be offloaded . Che/KWP spring to mind.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton Saturday
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic