Saints 0-1 Ipswich - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We'll have too much of an upheaval in January to maintain any momentum for that. KWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana, Adams and co will all be offski and we'll be looking for the 2024 versions of Wright, Makin and Powell.

Lots to look forward to.

I think we're here to stay for a very, very long time.

there's only one Powell...say it's true?

The only tactical switch RM made was to cut out most of the inverted full backs nonsense. Sadly it didn't help him send out a side with any real shape, cohesion or sign that they knew and believed in what they were doing. I'm afraid as others have said RM is out of his depth and we've yet again made a complete mess of selecting an intelligent manager. Those expecting things to improve under his leadership are in for a disappointment from everything that I'm seeing and hearing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We'll have too much of an upheaval in January to maintain any momentum for that. KWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana, Adams and co will all be offski and we'll be looking for the 2024 versions of Wright, Makin and Powell.

Lots to look forward to.

I think we're here to stay for a very, very long time.

Tbf KWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana and Adams are the 2024 versions of Makin, Pulis, Wright and Pekhart

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Make no mistake, tonight was entirely down to the manager. His insistence we pass out from the back, and his ridiculous midfield set up cost us tonight. 

putting to one side the old passing it out from the back thing costing us goals for a second, another problem we have is that there just isn't much attacking threat either. We don't seem to have much clue what to do in the final third. Did we create ay clear cut chances tonight? My stream cut out a lot, so not sure what I missed.

• Like 3

On way back from that. Ipswich were a hardworking organised championship side, just what I thought we’d be facing when we got relegated. Regardless of where they are in the table currently we should win this at home all day long. Saints however, were utterly toothless, out muscled, out fought and no answer to a layered, marshalled defence. Management apparently no idea how to retrieve the game after a goal down.  Fuck all to do with the crowd, who were stoic in the face of mediocrity yet again. Think we might be in a bit of trouble already. 

• Like 14

Just now, Chez said:

he works really hard. But we desperately need a striker. Not a player that used to be a striker three years ago.

He may well work hard, but he's useless on the ball as his touch is crap, and let's not even start on his inability to strike a ball. 

He is of no use to a team who want to win games.

• Like 2

Second half shows we have to play Charles in midfield and Bednarek at the back. 

As soon as Charles went in there he won tackles, made interceptions and gave us better shape. 

Harwood-Bellis immediately looked happier having a proper experienced CB next to him and some cover from midfield.

Surely now the manager will realise we have to play with that solid midfield base. If we do we'll be fine.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

The only tactical switch RM made was to cut out most of the inverted full backs nonsense. Sadly it didn't help him send out a side with any real shape, cohesion or sign that they knew and believed in what they were doing. I'm afraid as others have said RM is out of his depth and we've yet again made a complete mess of selecting an intelligent manager. Those expecting things to improve under his leadership are in for a disappointment from everything that I'm seeing and hearing. 

is RM cancelling the inverted fullbacks the same as when Ralph tossed the five man defence in the bin? All that time spent learning it (I am guessing they did actually spend time, but who knows) completely wasted when the players could have been learning something useful?

• Like 1

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Thought we looked much better with Bednarek and Stu on the pitch. 

Oh yeah without doubt, more balance and more solid in the middle with Charles.

But why did we have to wait an hour for that. The game was a slog fest by that point as we'd allowed Ipswich to fall right into their gameplan.

• Like 1

Very hard to look forward after those three matches.

However tonight was at least better. Desperately relative comment but that is at least something.

The defence sharpened up when Bendarek came on. Hopefully he'll develop a partnership with THB.

They need a few goals to get some confidence back in the side. Absolutely zero self belief at the moment.

Hopefully the away games will have less pressure. Try for a win and build on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Thought we looked much better with Bednarek and Stu on the pitch. 

Stuart Armstrong and KWP were the only two who looked like half decent footballers. I blame that largely on the set up and coaching because players are being made to look bad because of the system.

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

However tonight was at least better. Desperately relative comment but that is at least something.

The defence sharpened up when Bendarek came on. Hopefully he'll develop a partnership with THB.

They need a few goals to get some confidence back in the side. Absolutely zero self belief at the moment.

Hopefully the away games will have less pressure. Try for a win and build on that.

I have no faith that we’ll stop handing opposition cheap goals. Loss to winless Middlesbrough very much my expectation.

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

It was marginally better but let's be honest Ipswich should have been 3-0 up at half-time. They let us off the hook.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I think a more clinical side with better quality up front would have finished us off. They had way better chances than we did.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Second half shows we have to play Charles in midfield and Bednarek at the back. 

As soon as Charles went in there he won tackles, made interceptions and gave us better shape. 

Harwood-Bellis immediately looked happier having a proper experienced CB next to him and some cover from midfield.

Surely now the manager will realise we have to play with that solid midfield base. If we do we'll be fine.

Couldn’t agree more. Smallbone just doesn’t offer anything.

Turgid football,woeful forwards,shambolic midfield [ Why did we not take the money for Smallbone,we could not give him away now ] and a dithering defence with no confidence at all. Finally a manager who is stubborn and out of his depth, if that is not a recipe for lower mid table mediocrity or even bottom 6, I do not know what is. Just glad I am far enough away,to not contemplate going to a game any time soon. What an utter shambles of a club and to top it off we will almost certainly hand Boro their first league win of the season on saturday.

• Like 1

I hope he doesn't come out again and say he is proud of the players. First half - wrong team and wrong tactics. Got the right team on eventually but too late. A well drilled Ipswich side deserved to win. They chased down opposition, always found a teammate to pass and looked dangerous on the break. We were totally opposite - Che Adams and Bednarek when he came on are the only positives. To think 1 year ago they were league 1 and we were premier league - you would have thought it was the other way round. I shall be up again at Xmas - I hope to God someone has told him how to play this team by then! We won't get relegated as we are but lucky to be top 10!

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Make no mistake, tonight was entirely down to the manager. His insistence we pass out from the back, and his ridiculous midfield set up cost us tonight. 

Rinse and repeat ..................no lessons to be learnt here ..................next. Saw most of the "important people" looking fa lawn and gloomy,no change there either,but no smugness,so a slight improvement.

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Back from the game

smallbone shit, manning shit, Charles shit, atmosphere shit, setup shit, tempo shit, tactics shit

Russell Martin, your football is shit

I thought Manning would be decent for us, but he is as bad a player as I've seen play for us for many, many years - and we've had a few.

I find it hard to believe he had PL suitors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Back from the game

smallbone shit, manning shit, Charles shit, atmosphere shit, setup shit, tempo shit, tactics shit

Russell Martin, your football is shit

I'm sensing you might not be too happy with the way things are going at the moment... Am I warm...? 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought Manning would be decent for us, but he is as bad a player as I've seen play for us for many, many years - and we've had a few.

2023 version of Jermaine Wright

I just hope Ross Stewart is more Rasiak than Fuller

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm sensing you might not be too happy with the way things are going at the moment... Am I warm...? 😂

I mean, he set up with Will Smallbone and Joe Aribo in the middle of the park

Russell Martin can get in the bin, his football is terrible

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The thing is, we have a track record of turning half decent players into poor players... Manning may well have turned out as a decent player for a bottom half team in the PL, regardless of how he performs for us...

• Like 1

Well the early season optimism has been quickly swept away. Ipswich really were nothing special yet we looked utterly clueless going forward again. Combined with more kamikaze defending the result is no surprise. Sorry to say Smallbone is a complete waste of a shirt, offers absolutely nothing. A Armstrong works hard but is a horrific footballer. Only real positive was KWP who was excellent, and we did look better once Charles moved into midfield. Aribo did ok. But something needs to change or we'll be nowhere near promotion.