January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Potentially an excellent bit of business.

Now lets get Miovski in just to cement it, and have someone who take take advantage of the chances that will come their way. Either that or some miraculous surgery and recuperation for Ross Stewart.

And keep KWP and Alcaraz locked up for the next 28 hours or so.

• Like 3

We had the smoke signals, but it still feels sensational to confirm it. 

Welcome aboard Saint David. 

As a thought, you couldn't imagine this happening if it was us trying to loan someone from the Skates in a higher league, could you? Despite the efforts of many Cherries fans, they are not and never will be a rival to me. 

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Absolutely this.

The young lad is still learning the language and culture too. Given how long it took the squad to learn RMs tactics you can understand why he's not been involved quite as much as was expected in the summer.

He's still raw and I assume on a fairly low wage compared to others. I can't see any sense in selling him, yet.

random thoughts....

I think that the requirements of Martin's system can be seen in the development of a number of players. It's impacted everyone a little differently. With a lot of versatility a requirement, it can be difficult to learn the various roles, let alone the timing and anticiapation required to be excellent in them. When players clearly have certain strengths, over others they will have to develop, I've not doubt it can be more difficult, and a bit more frustrating too.

Last season Alcaraz, under Selles, looked like the attacking central outlet to break at pace. He got space to move into from the way we set up. He could focus on that, and have a bit of space to shine in. To move from that into a system that he's required to be part of passing moves to spring other people, be a lot more mobile and to be prepared to be the outlet, all at the drop of a hat is a tougher development.

With language and cultural learnings too, it's a little tougher still.

We've seen games where he does a lot of things well, mixed in with areas where he clearly has to improve, Games where he might struggle to make the difference himself, but when enabled by our big guns, springs into life.

For some players, the frustration and goals they have simply aren't a match to the system. No shame if he moves on and we get the price we're looking for. He's celarly talented, so no reason why he won;t continue to improve with us. If he does go to a side that is a better fit, there's no doubt that all the extra things Martin required from him, will add a lot to his game. 

Di Marzio is very reliable, especially on Italian football:

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/juventus-alcaraz-southampton-calciomercato-news-30-gennaio-2024

Amazing to think Juve want someone who can't get a start in the Championship. Would be amazed if we were to agree to loan him out so doubt anything will come of it.

Maybe the club knew of potential interest and the Rothwell signing in part mitigates it. Alcaraz has only started 13 Champ games, in a way he isnt an essential player despite being a fan favourite and clearly having huge potential.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Can please no one call this an 8/10 or 9/10 window. I’m actually sick of these cursed high ratings. Every year. 

Not a good time to ask how sick of the high ratings you are, on a scale of 1-10? 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Di Marzio is very reliable, especially on Italian football:

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/juventus-alcaraz-southampton-calciomercato-news-30-gennaio-2024

Amazing to think Juve want someone who can't get a start in the Championship. Would be amazed if we were to agree to loan him out so doubt anything will come of it.

Yeah, there's no way would we agree to a loan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Potentially an excellent bit of business.

Now lets get Miovski in just to cement it, and have someone who take take advantage of the chances that will come their way. Either that or some miraculous surgery and recuperation for Ross Stewart.

And keep KWP and Alcaraz locked up for the next 28 hours or so.

I think if anyone goes, it's Alcaraz. Rothwell coming in gives cover in that position. 

• Like 1

I’d be a little surprised if this wasn’t player-led and I understand if he’d want to jump at the first opportunity to play with Juventus. Highly unlikely we’d replace him this late and might as well view Rothwell as his replacement.

Gutted about it as I had so much belief for him after last season.

However he does not appear to fit this system and has objectively been poor so far, so anything £35m+ would be a brilliant return.

Realistically, skint Italian clubs will not be able to trigger that option so he'll likely be back to us next year hopefully in the PL.

I think Brooks/Rothwell combined will cover for the limited minutes he was already getting.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 2

Surely Juventus will be paying a higher loan fee than we're paying for Brooks, so it's probably a sensible decision all round. After starting off with a goal of decent goals a year ago, I really don't think he's been that good for us. In a couple of years he'll just be another, "Oh god, yeah he did play for us a bit didn't he," like Minamino or Elia.

Well, that's annoying. I like him, he was one of the few positives last season and the Plymouth goal gave us a reminder of the quality he has, just lacks consistency at 21. For whatever reason, under Jones, Selles and Martin he's never really had a consistent run in the starting eleven, though. He can play on the turn and opens up space too. I think he's going to be one of those who looks better with better players around him.

Weird move from Juve, and yeah, they probably can't afford a £35m+ option for him, so we'll likely be seeing him again next season... Actually, they'll probably get in his head and he'll demand a move, refusing to return and train, etc. Or they'll include that Soule we've been linked to.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2f1f1f214a4cbed843d57c9f12ef285d.jpeg

Shame if true.

Not a world beater but still decent.

Then again his contract renewal did seem a little bizarre a few months ago; no doubt a lot of clauses in there probably regarding big clubs, no promotion etc. 
None of it is overly surprising.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Gutted about it as I had so much belief for him after last season.

However he does not appear to fit this system and has objectively been poor so far, so anything £35m+ would be a brilliant return.

Realistically, skint Italian clubs will not be able to trigger that option so he'll likely be back to us next year hopefully in the PL.

I think Brooks/Rothwell combined will cover for the limited minutes he was already getting.

Disagree that he has been poor - certainly subjective view not objective.

Think we are yet to see his full potential but early in this run, playing further forward and now central I thought he was very good. Still lacking consistency, as often the case with players of his age.

He has also come on, when we needed someone to speed up the passing, he probably sees a fast switching pass better than anyone we have.

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel on this one, can't begrudge a South American youngster on the bench in the Championship a move to Juventus. Still think having him in the squad selection etc gets us over the line but then again, the forgotten man Joe Aribo can also fill in the 10 role. 

Think he along with Stu Armstrong are the only ones who drive with the ball and breaks lines unlike others (maybe harsh on JA) but it's not always consistent is it. 

Hopefully he comes back a more seasoned and rounded player next season or they pay the €40m fee. 

Edited by Monk
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Shame if true.

Not a world beater but still decent.

Then again his contract renewal did seem a little bizarre a few months ago; no doubt a lot of clauses in there probably regarding big clubs, no promotion etc. 
None of it is overly surprising.

Agree re: the renewal. And there’s been constant links to other European clubs - I suspect he has a very busy agent.

That's a blow, I really like Charly and think he can offer a lot. He hasn't been the regular we all expected him to be though. You could argue it's player led as he wants to play, but he's not going to play regular at Juve. 

I imagine we'll get a decent fee, plus wages covered. If they stump up £35m in the summer we've made more than double our money if we're looking at it pure profit wise.

I'm disappointed though.

• Like 4

confirmed by Fabrizio as going ahead, loan with buy option. Bit unexpected, he's clearly got potential but I don't think Martin is a huge fan. Whilst he seems popular with fans, he still seems to give the ball away the most. It may seem like a blow at this late stage, but I think we can cope with this.

• Like 2

He's flattered to deceive for me and feels a bit like Ramirez all over again. With Brooks, and a returning Aribo and improving Rothwell, I don't think we'll notice that he's gone. 

• Like 3

I doubt Juve will spend the sort of money quoted on Alcaraz.

Shame, but as others have said, he has just hit the levels required to be a top championship player - within our style.

i am sure he will have a very good career though. But expect to not be purchased by Juventus for that kind of money.

• Like 1

As others have said this is probably a departure we are able to weather. He isn't in our first choice eleven and we have decent depth.

The more concerning thing for the next 24 hours is how this has come out of nowhere, its not like we've had a month of Charly rumours, in the same way pretty much no KWP rumours either.

The window ain't over until its over.

• Like 5

After some of last season's performances I was expecting him to be a massive player this year, scoring loads of goals and running games.

For whatever reason he just hasn't been. Obviously has ability and has shown flickers of what I was hoping for but largely hasn't played and when he has there's been a lot of inconsistency.

Good luck to him.

• Like 3