Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread

southbourne saint

40 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

I think he said the clockwork mouse thing twice ? I wouldn’t be calling him that unless I was very sure of myself. !! defenders must dread facing him.

Anyway, terrific performance , good to see us do what we know the squad is capable of. Other champ sides can only dream of having the likes of Che, RF and Charly on the bench, so we need to make hay.

Mental strength  is going to be key. I think RMs pretty tough start to life here will stand us in good stead.

He did, though I think he stopped short of calling him the 'wee man'.

Our link kept switching between the Saints (Dean Hammond) commentary and the Swansea commentators, who sounded brain dead and made Efan Ekoku sound exciting. I'm sure when the fifth went in I heard one of them say "For Fuck's Sake" 😀

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Don't think you can, or should start Fraser ahead of Edozie.   Both are playing their roles perfectly, and Fraser just seems perfect for a second half impact, two clinically taken goals today.  Best performance of the season surely, and a pat on the back for Martin - his 4-3-3 set up worked well; his second half subs were spot on, and he managed to rest Downes and Armstrong for the games ahead.     Difficult man-of-the-match but I thought Airibo shaded Edozie for it.   He's such a gifted, strong player at this level (Airibo) and in playing him in the AM role and Stephens at right back, it freed up Downes to hold on his own and KWP to play the wing back role with complete freedom.      Even the question mark over Manning's inclusion was lifted today - he tightened up after the early Swansea incursions, and provided quality crosses and passing.   So many good players today - and the luxury of taking off two of the best on the hour mark.    Though they had little to do, Bednarek, THB and Stephens were all excellent, ad Bazunu continues to look comfortable and confident in goal.      Go Leicester!

I think some of the reason the players are more confident is Bazuna's improvement.

Scintilating football today

• Like 7

That was really enjoyable. 

Didn't get the stream working until a few minutes in, so I missed their chance. 

Everyone played well. Only small criticism is some poor decision making in good situations from AA and KWP that would have made it 7 nil. But those are the sort of things that you can review and improve on. Same applies to the fantastic cross that Edozie put across the 6 yard line that nobody slid in on .

Great to see a system being understood and applied well. 

UtFS

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Forester said:

16 unbeaten!  Thoughts and prayers for the “possession football will get you nowhere” gang!

We have just hit the magical two points per game level.  Forget the league table and what happens tonight, history says 92 points will be top two.  We just need to focus on us.

Ipswich are shipping goals now. 19 in the last 12. The wobble is on (cue victory over Leicester)

image.png.1513fd6d969e5e199236a5b916f47cf2.png

38 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

What so RM says get to team possession stats but don’t try to score once we have all that possession?  Do you honestly Bellieve that? 

Definitely, he only told them to score so many goals today to take the pressure off and revert to his preferred 1-0 win with 75% possession on Friday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just back from the game. 
Meh - it’s just propaganda football. 

MOTM to the left winger - not sure which one, though. ArmA with 2 assists and doesn’t get a look in!

Downes is different level, defence (except left back, obviously) looks sound, Smallbone and Aribo probably don’t even lose possession in their sleep. Not a bad performance anywhere. For a ten minute period of the first half after we scored we looked brilliant. And like Blackburn, the last few minutes allowed us the provide a score that matched the dominance on the pitch. 

If I’m being ultra picky, think we had chance to give SAA a brief run, or maybe even Dibbling, but the subs all performed really well.

Combined with the last minute Pompey defeat, that’s about as perfect a Boxing Day for football that I can remember in years!

Thank you!!!!!!

• Like 10

We are quality.

You can say this is where RM should have had us but maybe we're underestimating the shift in mentality he's had to bring on the players. Edozie and Fraser excellent.

Everything the fans have asked for we've done these past few weeks. I have full confidence we'll comfortably win at home every week we play here. Made plenty teams look divisions behind us as of late.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

Definitely, he only told them to score so many goals today to take the pressure off and revert to his preferred 1-0 win with 75% possession on Friday. 

I’ve missed your contributions on this forum and am very much enjoying those who are missing the point of these posts. 😂

• Like 5

Martin post match

• I think it was a brilliant 2nd half. 1st half was ok as there was not enough energy or aggression
  • Was incredible in the 2nd half, Charley, Che, Sekou and Ryan were excellent
  • Will was great as Flynn ran out of energy
  • They had 1 shot on target
  • Really really pleased
  • Really pleased for the fans, it was rocking.
  • To win the way we did, I was so please
  • we cannot stop, we must recover well for Plymouth
  • The players are really enjoying it
  • We constantly ask the players out of the side to be ready, and they are
  • the subs have been brilliant lately, they are all ready
  • Hopefully James Bree is not out too long, will find out later
  • Everyone at the club is important, they all congratulate each other
  • Aribo has been incredible. Has was away in the summer with Nigeria, had an injury after missing a whole pre season
  • He has fought so hard to get into the team, after honest conversations
  • He is a great players, look what he did at Rangers, which is not easy
  • he has not enjoyed it last season, but now he is incredible
  • He trains hard and now is showing us all, he has been huge in the last few games
  • He works so hard and delighted he scored today as he has been so patient
  • I have told them we just cannot stop, Plymouth next as we must keep going
Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 14

I like the fact that despite our league position and our unbeaten run we seem to be flying under the radar. Ok nearly everyone in the media knows that the Premier. League is the only division that matters but even the people who concentrate on the EFL seem to be missing us. 

eg Tonight on 5 LIVE. the EFL expert reckoned that tonight Ipswich could build on their advantage over Leeds. 

eg They were according to BBC Sport cheering Preston's goal v Leeds in Suffolk.... but no mention of Hampshire. 

Long may we stay under the radar. I am certainly not complaining .. but imagine the media wankfest if a team of Klopp's went 16 games unbeaten. 😁

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin post match

• I think it was a brilliant 2nd half. 1st half was ok as there was not enough energy or aggression
  • Was incredible in the 2nd half, Charley, Che, Sekou and Ryan were excellent
  • Will was great as Flynn ran out of energy
  • They had 1 shot on target
  • Really really pleased
  • Really pleased for the fans, it was rocking.
  • To win the way we did, I was so please
  • we cannot stop, we must recover well for Plymouth
  • The players are really enjoying it
  • We constantly ask the players out of the side to be ready, and they are
  • the subs have been brilliant lately, they are all ready
  • Hopefully James Bree is not out too long, will find out later
  • Everyone at the club is important, they all congratulate each other
  • Aribo has been incredible. Has was away in the summer with Nigeria, had an injury after missing a whole pre season
  • He has fought so hard to get into the team, after honest conversations
  • He is a great players, look what he did at Rangers, which is not easy
  • he has not enjoyed it last season, but now he is incredible
  • He trains hard and now is showing us all, he has been huge in the last few games
  • He works so hard and delighted he scored today as he has been so patient
  • I have told them we just cannot stop, Plymouth next as we must keep going

Thanks for that as always Alex.

Lots of good points about how we're developing and sharing the same frustrations along the way that we have.

Particularly interesting on Aribo. I'd seen him on a number of occassions for Rangers. Over a fairly decent spell too. I was wondering if was an injury/ behind the scenes fall out/ personal reasons why we just didn;t seem to see the same player. A little flash or two early on, but that quickly went downhill. Way back, I was a little sniffy over the SPL. But then we started getting lots of gems from there. I was surprised that he just didn't look near cutting it.

It's been really good to see him better than I remember him at Rangers. Form a few lumbering sub appearances to more regular impact appearances all the way to now. The last couple in particular, he's covering even more ground, even more eager to receive the ball too. Like a few of the others, there's a period of sharpness with the more minutes they play. Both fitness and Martin's system. But Edozie and Aribo and others are moving in the right direction. Happy for them.

Credit to Martin. There does seem to be honesty, a supportive environment to develop, train and play in, he is using those who work for him and we've needed that. If and when our unbeaten run coems to an end, and when it startes to get to the business end of the season, hopefully that enviromnent will be boost the players to do well more than a shouty, finger poiinting, under pressure one. I know where I'd rather work.

Martin's also been right about the opposition chances of late too. We do have areas that can be exploited. But we know that and look to mitigate that as much as possible. it's not always going to work. But we've had a few games where their player has been forced into a shot, on the move at an angle. We're back in numbers nearly all the time, which is about all you can expect.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Lots of good points about how we're developing and sharing the same frustrations along the way that we have.

Particularly interesting on Aribo. I'd seen him on a number of occassions for Rangers. Over a fairly decent spell too. I was wondering if was an injury/ behind the scenes fall out/ personal reasons why we just didn;t seem to see the same player. A little flash or two early on, but that quickly went downhill. Way back, I was a little sniffy over the SPL. But then we started getting lots of gems from there. I was surprised that he just didn't look near cutting it.

It's been really good to see him better than I remember him at Rangers. Form a few lumbering sub appearances to more regular impact appearances all the way to now. The last couple in particular, he's covering even more ground, even more eager to receive the ball too. Like a few of the others, there's a period of sharpness with the more minutes they play. Both fitness and Martin's system. But Edozie and Aribo and others are moving in the right direction. Happy for them.

Credit to Martin. There does seem to be honesty, a supportive environment to develop, train and play in, he is using those who work for him and we've needed that. If and when our unbeaten run coems to an end, and when it startes to get to the business end of the season, hopefully that enviromnent will be boost the players to do well more than a shouty, finger poiinting, under pressure one. I know where I'd rather work.

Martin's also been right about the opposition chances of late too. We do have areas that can be exploited. But we know that and look to mitigate that as much as possible. it's not always going to work. But we've had a few games where their player has been forced into a shot, on the move at an angle. We're back in numbers nearly all the time, which is about all you can expect.

Championship is his level IMO. Good to see him finding some form

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Agree with all of this. I'm loving the positive pressure that is being put on players who are top quality in the Championship

> Edozie makes one and scores one, subbed off after 60 mins. Fraser scores with virtually his first touch, makes one and scores another. Edozie may well start the next game but knows he has to play out of his skin to keep his place.

> Harwood Bellis & Bednarek have formed a great partnership. But they both know that Jack is right there if either of them drop their standards for a moment, and Holgate has played some good games as well. 

> Manning was forced into improving his game by Bree, and even now that Bree has picked up an injury you suspect that the combination of; KWP as a setter of standards, Jack as a potential RB (KWP to LB) and Megahoma raring to go on the bench will keep him honest.

> Charly Alcaraz and Kameldeen Sulemana could be treating the league as if they are rockstars and pushing for a move in January. But they are not, partly because of the culture and atmosphere created in the dressing room by RM's willingness to swap out underperformers and keep faith with those who do play well. It's by no means guaranteed that Sulemana will come straight back into the team, and Alcaraz doesn't just have competition from Stu and Adams now but from Aribo and Mara as well.

As Saints fans we have to smell the roses when we can and I'm loving it right now. St Mary's is rocking let's chase down Leicester. COYRs! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I like the fact that despite our league position and our unbeaten run we seem to be flying under the radar. Ok nearly everyone in the media knows that the Premier. League is the only division that matters but even the people who concentrate on the EFL seem to be missing us. 

eg Tonight on 5 LIVE. the EFL expert reckoned that tonight Ipswich could build on their advantage over Leeds. 

eg They were according to BBC Sport cheering Preston's goal v Leeds in Suffolk.... but no mention of Hampshire. 

Long may we stay under the radar. I am certainly not complaining .. but imagine the media wankfest if a team of Klopp's went 16 games unbeaten. 😁

Certainly not under the radar on Sky, we get mentioned all the time during the other live games (Leeds and Ipswich).

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Just back from the game. 
Meh - it’s just propaganda football. 

MOTM to the left winger - not sure which one, though. ArmA with 2 assists and doesn’t get a look in!

Downes is different level, defence (except left back, obviously) looks sound, Smallbone and Aribo probably don’t even lose possession in their sleep. Not a bad performance anywhere. For a ten minute period of the first half after we scored we looked brilliant. And like Blackburn, the last few minutes allowed us the provide a score that matched the dominance on the pitch. 

If I’m being ultra picky, think we had chance to give SAA a brief run, or maybe even Dibbling, but the subs all performed really well.

Combined with the last minute Pompey defeat, that’s about as perfect a Boxing Day for football that I can remember in years!

Thank you!!!!!!

Jannik Vestergaard:

“Perfect Boxing Day? Hold My beer…”

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Swansea fans seemed to be singing throughout but couldn't really hear them from Block 36.

What were they chanting near the end?

Great fans- singing throughout. Their Bolasie song was class too- could easily be adapted for Edozie..

An exceptional performance today from us :) an emphatic win. Everybody today was great. Edozie tore their right back to shreds, he really is developing nicely and that's three goals in four now for him :) Aribo was outstanding today - power and strength and sheer dominance in the midfield and he topped it off with a goal, class act :) loved RM's interview with Adam Blackmore afterwards when he was praising Aribo. Fraser - what a player he is. He always makes an impact when he comes off the bench. Scores two belters and assists one for Che, just brilliant :) upto third and We March On :)

• Like 1

So many things to admire today but here’s one that wasn’t glamorous or spectacular but gave a clear indication of commitment… it was the 89th minute, we are 4-0 up and cruising when suddenly the ball breaks and Swansea make a counter-attack. 5, maybe 6, of our players rush back to help the defence and one of our centre-backs manages to force the attacker wide and the threat disappears. Fantastic effort by our boys to put in such a shift when the game is already won.

• Like 5

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of our run of results is how almost every member of our squad is participating. Aribo and Bree weren't even considered at the start of it, Alcaraz, Edozie, Sulemana, Stephens, Fraser, Smallbone and Mara have been in and out of the team either through injury or because someone else was performing in their place. You can tell Martin has had to manage a team in this league before but it is now difficult to pick our best first eleven which is a good sign. 

• Like 4

."...there are people on the pitch....they think it's all over ....(pause as Geoff Hurst scores his third goal in injury time)  ... it  is  now ! "

The iconic quote from legendary football commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme in the final seconds of the 1966 World Cup Final .

Whilst watching the demolition of Swansea on Saints Play,  I heard TV commentator Laurence Herdman come up with a few of his own.

... after Saints' first goal ....Ariba, Ariba... ARIBO

... on Ryan Fraser's great performance as sub. ........you just wind him up and let him go .....like a clockwork mouse ... 

......and on the 5-0 goal in added time... and Ché Adams put the icing on the Christmas cake.....

........as if a 5 goal victory wasn't reward enough, quotes like that can stay with you forever. 

Edited by david in sweden

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of our run of results is how almost every member of our squad is participating. Aribo and Bree weren't even considered at the start of it, Alcaraz, Edozie, Sulemana, Stephens, Fraser, Smallbone and Mara have been in and out of the team either through injury or because someone else was performing in their place. You can tell Martin has had to manage a team in this league before but it is now difficult to pick our best first eleven which is a good sign. 

When you think back to the days of Sparky Hughes, where it was all about freezing out the members of the squad who were judged out of favour....JWP being one of them; it's a world apart.    I can't think of one available player now who is frozen out.    Martin has worked out his best 16 or 17 players and given the quality he has to work with, has a strong bench to call on which he is mostly using to great effect.     My only quibble is that he overrates the contributions of Manning and Smallbone - but maybe I'm missing something and Manning has certainly laid down a case in the last two games;  Smallbone is solid, technically sound and has a decent strike off either foot.       RM's ability to motivate, encourage and include just about all squad members is quite an achievement.  

25 minutes ago, austsaint said:

RM's ability to motivate, encourage and include just about all squad members is quite an achievement.  

Legendary quote on " man management " from Lawrie McMenemy..  (back in the day).

...." Footballers are just people.......you need to kiss some, and kick the others..."       

(surely the secret is knowing ...which is which).                              

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

."...there are people on the pitch....they think it's all over ....(pause as Geoff Hurst scores his third goal in injury time)  ... it  is  now ! "

The iconic quote from legendary football commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme in the final seconds of the 1966 World Cup Final .

Whilst watching the demolition of Swansea on Saints Play,  I heard TV commentator Laurence Herdman come up with a few of his own.

... after Saints' first goal ....Ariba, Ariba... ARIBO

... on Ryan Fraser's great performance as sub. ........you just wind him up and let him go .....like a clockwork mouse ... 

......and on the 5-0 goal in added time... and Ché Adams put the icing on the Christmas cake.....

........as if a 5 goal victory wasn't reward enough, quotes like that can stay with you forever. 

Nothing wrong with those quotes.

Hats off to Itchen North yesterday - out sang the Northam for the whole game loved the Stuart Armstrong song, sung for ages in the 2nd half- could barely hear the Northam in the Kingsland North 

Also thought the Swansea fans were great celebrating our 4th and 5th goals and clapping RM at the end

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

That was a pretty convincing victory yesterday, thought I'd just catch the highlights on the FL Show and relive it a bit - well down the pecking order and just the goals, and Swansea will feel it was "harsh (at 4-0) and then it got worse". As said "flying under the radar".

Best performance of the season imo. Struggling to think of someone who wasn’t at their top level, A Armstrong probably the only one. 

I know Bashir Humphreys‘ old fella so was looking forward to seeing him play. Poor bloke got the runaround from Edozie & then saw Frazier coming off the bench to rub it in even more. 

One interesting observation I made was that none of the goal scorers yesterday did the knee slide celebration that’s so endemic in the Premier League. The traditional leap and fist pump was the favoured choice which is both elegant and safe. I’d like to think this is yet another positive trait instilled by Russell Martin. 

Edited by Maggie May
  • Like 4