Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

1 minute ago, adrian lord said:

One thing I can conclude is that everyone's streams are lagging by significantly different amounts!

I have proper Sky on, though I had to fight the wife for it as Norwich are on the red button. That said she's now fast asleep on the sofa, full of my pancake batter. (Not a euphemism).

• Haha 16

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Armstrong is poor for us as a number 9. 

Charles has been absolutely horrendous and Smallbone not much better.

Rothwell and Brooks look decent.

Really? I think rothwell has been shite. Given the ball away under no pressure on at least half a dozen occasions 

brooks has been decent on the ball but we’ve not got it to him enough 

1 minute ago, sandwichsaint said:

Dont get the Smallbone hate, much more likely to score a goal than cause one. And done a couple of last minute blocks too this half.

Bad Wolf doesn't like Smallbone. He doesn't mention it very often so I can see how you might have missed it... ;)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Leeds in ominous form. We look more vulnerable but have a good spirit. 

It was obvious we were never ever going to catch Leicester, and our away form against anyone half decent is not good enough (top maintain top 2)...

• Like 2

Yet another very sloppy half of football - giving the ball away under no pressure and look particularly weak in midfield. Too much walking football and not enough angles being made, playing on the half-turn or getting between the lines. We have no shape and if RM doesn't change it up Bristol will eventually take advantage of our mistakes. Very disappointing half.

• Like 3

We have a good bench so it's not over yet. For all our sloppy passing City haven't done much and we have hit the crossbar. 0-0 is the Manning Derby not shabby at half time. Better than 2 nil down like at Hudds.

Downes an obvious miss, Charles doesn’t look ready on this showing. Looks cumbersome and nervous on the ball. Not tracking back with much effort either. There’s a player in there but I’m not seeing value for money paid right now. I expect we will over time but when you need to cover for Downes the drop off is too big and affects the way we control games.

• Like 3

No need for a massive inquest, we have just executed too many passes badly. That said, the amount of space they are getting in wide areas is worrying.

Charles is having a 'mare. Doesn't seem to be up to speed mentally.

Just now, The Cat said:

Best thing about the first half was the 12 year old nipper in the home end giving us a load of shit and pointing at his Stone Island badge.

Let’s hope he doesn’t make a slit throat gesture 2nd half

• Haha 1

Just now, The Cat said:

Best thing about the first half was the 12 year old nipper in the home end giving us a load of shit and pointing at his Stone Island badge.

Bless him, it's half term after all. Got a bit excited, the wee lad.

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It was obvious we were never ever going to catch Leicester, and our away form against anyone half decent is not good enough (top maintain top 2)...

Time to step up.

We have Leeds, Leic, WBA, and Ipswich awayl

Win some of those games and we are on our way.

Look nervous tonight, basically need to play every game like a cup game. 

God that was shit.

A Armstrong missing in action again and him and edozie are trying to see who can hit the a man the most on crosses or shots.

Charles passing like stevie wonder

Smallbone being smallbone, circulating looking busy but not affecting anything.

Manning just existing

Baz and CBs playing well 

Rothwell and Brooks trying to play faster

KWP got a sore back from carrying the team.

Hoped sat was a fluke with how shit we were first half but lets see.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Yes, was just thinking that. Some players you don't realise their value to the team until they're missing 

I don't think that is true in this instance. Most Saints fans would agree that Downes has been immense. 

• Like 1

Pretty early doors, I was thinking it's going to take another buit of individual skill to get ahead in this one. We certainly went on to have some of those moments. KWP took on more and more of an attacking role at times, Brooks and Edozie also looked likely. Later, we got possession with a couple of things created for AA.

Elsewhere, we really miss Downes. We miss that engine and control. Smallbone has ahd a couple of good positions further up, but hasn;t really been central to anything we've been doing. Brooks adn Rothwell, despite the skill haven't had the time to get fully up to speed with the control with creation. All this isn;t hgelping Charles, who has given the ball away (and hasn;t been the only one) in a flat looking midfield, and hasn;t screened teh defence terribly well. City refused to be drawn in, were quick to press in the middle, and on occassion looked to spring that wide space. Baz did really well racing out for a clearance. It could go either way in the second half. I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win happily.

Hate seeing CBs walk the ball out. Which we have done a lot. A lack of intensity starts right there.

To be fair, we have controlled the game, as we do, but at times you just feel we are making ten passes when one might do. 

We will turn it up a notch in the second half.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic