DONE DEAL: Saints sign Maarten Stekelenburg on season-long loan

supersonic

Strange career. 191 apps for Ajax, 48 for Roma - and in that time 54 apps for Holland -

...........and then 19 @ Fulham and 1@ Monaco. Only 32 years old.

Apparantly...... he fell foul of Felix Magrath's " clearout " when Fulham were having a bad time in the Prem.

He wasn't the only one, and I think the Fulham defence were as much to blame as Maarten himself

Monaco have been doing pretty well with their regular keeper, so it's no surprise that he's spent most of the season on their bench.

As someone pointed out earlier on this thread, Koeman gave him his (Ajax) debut whilst he was still a teenager, so we have to trust that Ronald knows what he's doing.....

I suspect that being allowed out on loan from Fulham that he won't play any part there, and if he does well with us, that he might accept being competition with Forster when he comes back. Might be a very good for the club to have two goalies like that. Of course he needs to refind his touch (or is it just confidence?) but on paper it looks good, IF.......

Agreed, the 'amateur hour' impression of last summer's transfer dealings seems to have gone thank goodness - although there may be bad news to come I suspect as good players we want to keep leave us.

I think everyone's expecting Clyne and Schneiderlin to go now and won't be too gutted when they do given we've brought players in first. A shock departure like Chambers could still rattle a few cages though.

This is excellent news. We just need one top striker now, imo, and our attack (provided we can keep Mane) will scare the sh*t out of defences. Give Austin what he is asking for. It will be well worth it. And could convince Toby and others that we really are ambitious, so stick with us. We mean business.

So far so good.

Decent European competition experience keeper. Stick a solid back four in front of him, coach him with England's goalkeeping coach, and nurture him with Koeman's confidence boosting magic and we're good to go.

It's good to see us getting our transfer business done before the squad return for pre season.

I think this is being done for 2 reasons.

One being preparing for the season and the second a show of strength to Morgan, Clyne, Toby etc.

I think everyone's expecting Clyne and Schneiderlin to go now and won't be too gutted when they do given we've brought players in first. A shock departure like Chambers could still rattle a few cages though.

Bad news. Chambers has already gone. arf.

And he still hasn't proven himself as a Premier League keeper 8 years later. He was crap in the Championship for a couple of years too until the takeover.

Yep, so crap we went straight up to the Prem - no messing about. Sure, he's starting to look slow now, but Davis has been an absolute top pro for this club at L1 to Prem and anyone who says otherwise must be a complete troll.

Yep, so crap we went straight up to the Prem - no messing about. Sure, he's starting to look slow now, but Davis has been an absolute top pro for this club at L1 to Prem and anyone who says otherwise must be a complete troll.

Great for morale too.

You do realise Kelvin played for us in the Championship in seasons other than the one we got promoted in, right?

I think this is being done for 2 reasons.

One being preparing for the season and the second a show of strength to Morgan, Clyne, Toby etc.

Yeah I think the show of strength to the three we want to keep/get really badly is a very good point.

Played in a World Cup final, and even I as the eternal cynic believe you have to be at least half-good to do that!

Indeed. Just like Elia.

One of those players who was damn-near top-notch both for club and country whose form then utterly nosedived for damn near no reason whatsoever.

Fingers crossed Koeman can get him back to his former glory.

If anyone can, it's Sir Ronald.

He was at Gatwick airport at about midnight on Friday night, picking someone up. (Waiting by arrivals) didn't seem to be walking funny.

Friend of mine had this injury a couple of years back, and it took him 9 months to get playing again. True, he wasn't dealing with the rigours of the Premier League, but he didn't have access to the same medical expertise either

Nervous. Had hoped we'd invest. Forster may not play all season, so we start with a weaker keeper and the same back ups.

Hope he still has something, 2010 was a long time ago.

We were never going to sign a better keeper than Forster. He is our long term number one and Stekelenburg should be a significant upgrade on having to use Davis or Gazzaniga.

I like the sound of this Nyland character from what I read. Seems to have a lot of talent, is tall, and is quite highly rated. Plus he's Young and i wonder if he'd be happy as a number 2 fighting for a place. Plus would give us a decent back up option when Forster comes back.

I'd like to think we'd bring in one more, Davis and Gazza as back ups don't fill me with confidence, similar to when we lost Forster last season.

Very decent keeper who hit the doldrums when he joined Fulham (as many others did too) !

World cup finalist, good shot stopper, commanding of his box and in the true Dutch style, 2 footed and comfortable with the ball at his feet so we can expect not to see some Kelvin style rushed clearing when a back pass arrives at his feet.

Very happy with this deal - RonKo, Les and Co are doing bloody well this close season.

Good news - we need better cover than we have although I am grateful for the Gazzaniga and Davies performances at the end of the season - Leicester excepted

We probably would've beaten Stoke with Forster in goal as well.

A good signing for me I've thought all along he was one we might go for given his availability on loan, fingers crossed he finds his best form for us I don't think a bad player has ever got 50 caps for Holand! would still like to see a young up and coming number 2 come into the club someone to push the first choices in a way Gazza and Davies simply don't.