Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 188 of 188

Thread: Hojbjerg

  1. #151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    We clearly cannot sell him this window. No point thinking otherwise
    I would agree, however, come the summer isnít he in the last year of his contract? Perhaps if a sensible offer comes in now, then we should consider.

    Iíd imagine (hope) the club have a contingency plan and some targets in mind.

    However, I donít think weíll sell. Ralph loves him.

  2. #152

    Default

    Well its going to come to a head soon if he won't sign a new contract.

    Will be sold in the summer IMO. Too valuable potentially to let his contract go beyond 12 months to go.

    Also, re the fees. They are high, but its the same when we want to sign someone. Decent Championship players are at least £20m these days - so Hojbjerg is probably rightly valued at £35m or so and JWP would be over £50m I think.

    Also shows the importance of extending contracts for key players before they reach two years to run.

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    I can't see him going this window, it would leave us with Romeu and JWP (who's needed at RB) plus Slattery who's been miles from the team this season, and Smallbone. That said, if there was a deal involving Schneiderlin, or better still Tom Davies, then who knows.

  4. #154

    Default

    Let's not forget Everton paid a similar sum for Iwobi. Sadly for Hojbjerg his best asset is his passion, which is usually only effective for rallying cries on non-match days.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  5. #155

    Default

    I'd prefer to see Hojberg sign a new contract than be sold.
    He's a good player and would be hard to replace.
    We certainly can't sell him this window either which means any fee we would get in the summer would be probably much lower.

  6. #156

    Default

    I'd love him to sign a new contract, but clearly at the moment, he's assessing his options.

  7. #157

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    10,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    I'd prefer to see Hojberg sign a new contract than be sold.
    He's a good player and would be hard to replace.
    We certainly can't sell him this window either which means any fee we would get in the summer would be probably much lower.
    Agree. Had a bad spell this season but is also forming a good understanding with JWP. And is the captain. Would be a bit weird to sell, unless we're super skint

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    I would agree, however, come the summer isnít he in the last year of his contract? Perhaps if a sensible offer comes in now, then we should consider.

    Iíd imagine (hope) the club have a contingency plan and some targets in mind.

    However, I donít think weíll sell. Ralph loves him.
    Hope is the best word.

    We still only have 1 left back. Bizarre!!!

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I can't see him going this window, it would leave us with Romeu and JWP (who's needed at RB) plus Slattery who's been miles from the team this season, and Smallbone. That said, if there was a deal involving Schneiderlin, or better still Tom Davies, then who knows.
    That would be a big win IMO if we did some deal to get either of those in exchange. Morgan really hasn't been the same player after he left and might long for a return

  10. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I can't see him going this window, it would leave us with Romeu and JWP (who's needed at RB) plus Slattery who's been miles from the team this season, and Smallbone. That said, if there was a deal involving Schneiderlin, or better still Tom Davies, then who knows.
    And Schneiderlin would suddenly improve back with us? No chance, he is miles away from a player that is capable in this team these days.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Agree. Had a bad spell this season but is also forming a good understanding with JWP. And is the captain. Would be a bit weird to sell, unless we're super skint
    Nope. He's absolutely rubbish according to many on here. He was/is the first name on the team sheet from Ralph but wtf does he know about anything.

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,737

    Default

    I don't think Hojbjerg is that good but Ralph clearly does and I'd be more worried about a good manager losing his captain when he doesn't want to.

  13. #163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    I'd prefer to see Hojberg sign a new contract than be sold.
    He's a good player and would be hard to replace.
    We certainly can't sell him this window either which means any fee we would get in the summer would be probably much lower.
    I agree, he is an experienced Premiership player and still has age on his side, we should try and keep him longer term.

    However, in business you sometimes have to make difficult decisions and take actions that you'd prefer not to. Lets suppose that Hojberg has already privately indicated that he isn't going to sign a new contract in 2021 and we lose to Spurs on Saturday; we may be faced with the fact that the rest of our season consists of having a low chance of getting into Europe, a low chance of getting relegated and a high chance of being in the middle of the table with the also rans.

    Hojberg's value will continue to decline as he gets nearer to contract end and it is possible to squeeze a bigger price by selling an asset in January. Saints could take the view that sell him now, we could get an extra £10m for Ralph's summer spending budget and maybe getting someone in on loan like Morgan until May who would provide some cover (not that he is as good as he was).

    I think that the same sort of thinking could be being applied to both Adams and Vestergaard as well - although obviously their contracts have longer to run.

    I'm not suggesting that we do this; merely that it is something that should be considered - making this type of business decision is horrible, and not one us keyboard warriers have to do this, or take the consequences when it goes wrong. But, if Hojberg isn't going to sign another contract, we will need to sell him either now, or in the summer - and the question is how much risk would we take if we did it now ? 3 league positions (15th instead of 12th ?), 6 league positions, (18th instead of 12th !! ) ?

  14. Default

    I don't think selling him in January would be a good idea, in the summer if he doesn't want to sign a new contract? Then probably yes, I think JWP is more valuable to us at the moment.

    I wouldn't be surprised though if Bayern didn't have a sell on clause on him, so we might not get as much back as we think.

  15. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Well its going to come to a head soon if he won't sign a new contract.

    Will be sold in the summer IMO. Too valuable potentially to let his contract go beyond 12 months to go.

    Also, re the fees. They are high, but its the same when we want to sign someone. Decent Championship players are at least £20m these days - so Hojbjerg is probably rightly valued at £35m or so and JWP would be over £50m I think.

    Also shows the importance of extending contracts for key players before they reach two years to run.
    Or not, in the case of Fraser Forster

  16. #166

    Default

    Imagine if we sold Hojbjerg for the same amount that we sold Mane.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Imagine if we sold Hojbjerg for the same amount that we sold Mane.
    Then the "numpties" will be back in a year's time, slagging the club off for not getting a bigger fee.

  18. #168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    And Schneiderlin would suddenly improve back with us? No chance, he is miles away from a player that is capable in this team these days.
    Funnily enough he might. Mick Channon left us and didnt exactly excel elsewhere, when he came back 'home' he had a revitalised end to his career

  19. #169

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    8,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Funnily enough he might. Mick Channon left us and didnt exactly excel elsewhere, when he came back 'home' he had a revitalised end to his career
    There's plenty of examples of players doing the same. J-Rod, for instance, lost his way with us following his injuries and went down to the Championship with WBA. But now he seems to be really enjoying his football and playing well back at Burnley.

    The Everton fans are unanimous in their dislike of Spiderman. He really hasn't done well there at all, but we know what he is capable of if managed correctly, and IF (big if) he could get back to the level he was playing at before he left he would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Hojbjerg.

  20. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    There's plenty of examples of players doing the same. J-Rod, for instance, lost his way with us following his injuries and went down to the Championship with WBA. But now he seems to be really enjoying his football and playing well back at Burnley.

    The Everton fans are unanimous in their dislike of Spiderman. He really hasn't done well there at all, but we know what he is capable of if managed correctly, and IF (big if) he could get back to the level he was playing at before he left he would undoubtedly be an upgrade on Hojbjerg.
    Reckon we should look to swap Hojbjerg for Spiderman, Martina and Steklenberg.

    Bring home three of our old 'favourites'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  21. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteleySaint30 View Post
    It's ok getting £40m but we won't spend it so what's the point?
    The money would disappear quicker than a ferret up a trouser leg.

  22. #172

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Looks like he fancies another 100 appearances from his response https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Etyepj...d=61uebgmtk0wy

  23. #173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRWatson View Post
    Looks like he fancies another 100 appearances from his response https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Etyepj...d=61uebgmtk0wy
    Might not mean with Saints though...

  24. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Might not mean with Saints though...
    Even though he uses the Saint emoji and tags in SFC? Okay

  25. #175

    Default

    would he be a miss?

  26. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo1976 View Post
    would he be a miss?
    Only if we didn’t find a replacement.

  27. #177

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roo1976 View Post
    would he be a miss?
    I remember in 97/98 when we finished 12th (which was a high finish in those days!) we sold Kevin Richardson to Barnsley and the next season we struggled.

    Carlton Palmer came out on sky saying the sale of Kevin Richardson was the catalyst, not because of his quality but because of his influence.

    I donít think Hoj is the best footballer but I think his attitude is the golden standard the club want every player to be able to obtain.

    His importance, like Kevin Richardsonís, shouldnít be measured solely by his contribution on the pitch but his contribution to the club as a whole, with that in mind we should be doing all we can to keep him

  28. #178

    Default

    Of course he would be a miss. He is the captain. He has specific attributes that suit the system and if the the talk is to be believed then he is wanted by teams much better than us, which in itself is telling.

    He will leave if he doesn't sign a new contract and if that happens then it would definitely a blow, and would also be for a fee lower than his value had he still got 3 years to run - which gives us less room to work with in replacing him.

  29. #179

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Might not mean with Saints though...
    I read it the same, I think he meant here is to another 100 premier league appearances.

    It may well be at Saints, but probably not if a 'bigger' club/offer comes in. Thats how it works sadly.

  30. #180

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Double Deuce
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    If we sold him, Chairman Gao and Kat would probably split the profit 80:20 between them.

    Pair of c*nts.

  31. Default Ralph Hasenhuttl discusses Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's contract situation


  32. #182

    Default

    In this specific contract situation I wonder if when we get to 36 points it will become:

    "Lets wait until the end of the season, we don't need any distractions. He is committed, we are comfortable with it."

  33. #183

    Default

    Bloody hell if he pays close attention to what goes on off the pitch, or in our case doesn’t, there’s no chance of him signing a new deal

  34. #184

    Default

    Why 36 points, specifically? I think the survival mark will be higher this season - possibly over 40.

    Is this just another case of the club counting their chickens and complacently assuming they're nearly safe (so why bother signing anyone in January)?

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  35. #185

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    If we sold him, Chairman Gao and Kat would probably split the profit 80:20 between them.

    Pair of c*nts.
    “Probably.” Why? Can you give other examples where they have sold players and divided up the money between them?

  36. #186

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Isn’t it better that they discuss business later rather than sooner? We want him 100% focussed on his game, not business matters. He isn’t going to decide to leave just because we haven’t discussed a new contract now. If he wants out he or we can’t do anything about it until close season anyway.

  37. #187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Why 36 points, specifically? I think the survival mark will be higher this season - possibly over 40.
    Based on what? 18th place currently has fewer points than the number of games they have played! There are 38 games in a season, so they are heading for less than 38 points at the current rate. Average points per game puts them on 36 points over a 38 game season.

  38. #188

    Default

    This is why a.) He is perfect for our system and b.) Other teams will want him.

    https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status...84459607379969

    Possession won in the defensive third: 94 (6th)

    Possession won in the midfield third: 137 (1st)

    Possession won in the attacking third: 22 (=2nd)

    Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has been everywhere for @SouthamptonFC this season! #SaintsFC

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •