Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

How much experience did Cortese have in football matters? If Gao asks the right questions of the right people there is no reason why we can’t find the right guy. We keep running ourselves down but this is a decent job opportunity for someone. Let’s just hope it’s the right someone.

We should recruit the Brentford team, they unearth decent players on low resources

Weren't we linked with a member of their recruitment team towards the end of last season ? Recall seeing a link and an interview with the bloke. Recollection is that he was a Geordie. Name of Martin Scott rings a bell but having googled it that isn't the case.

It should be extremely attractive to a person with ambition enough to make his mark

Should be, yes. But with Gao controlling the purse strings it probably isn't as much of an attraction as we'd like to think.

AS SaintsLoyal says, Glover is likely to be elevated if only as a "temporary" measure, only to be made permanent after a period (no doubt due to our saving on wages. False economy probably but that seems to be the way we operate).

Matt Crocker, was at Saints when the academy was actually good, left for the FA but is apparently available if the top job becomes available. He’d get rid of a lot of the crap and get decent people in who came in and replaced the good ones

Was a candidate to be in the FA's technical Director, IIRC.

We should recruit the Brentford team, they unearth decent players on low resources

Weren't we linked with a member of their recruitment team towards the end of last season ? Recall seeing a link and an interview with the bloke. Recollection is that he was a Geordie. Name of Martin Scott rings a bell but having googled it that isn't the case.

Now found the name I was looking for, Phil Giles.

Matt Crocker, was at Saints when the academy was actually good, left for the FA but is apparently available if the top job becomes available. He’d get rid of a lot of the crap and get decent people in who came in and replaced the good ones

That would be an interesting and positive selection. Trouble is though that we can bandy all sorts of names about but ultimately it comes down to Gao, or his board (presumably Martin Semmens now) convincing candidates of the ambition and drive to make things happen. On this basis I wouldn't be too optimistic of landing anyone with a decent proven track record or that we've heard of.

The echo said we are looking for a player trading expert.

One person stands out head and shoulders above all the others. Currently unemployed which we love. Knows the club really well having worked here before and his son play for us. Has many years experience of player trading earning his the moniker of being a bit of a wheeler dealer in the transfer market. Is on friendly terms with the media so will boost our image on that. Lives locally too so wouldn't need to relocate. It all fits perfectly in place especially has he has unfinished business with this proper football club, Welcome Back Harry.

Our style of play is so goddamn slow and when attacked are usually out muscled by majority of teams. We have no drive and that is down to transfer errors.

We need somebody that can clearly see where we are worst placed for players and can bring in players that will fight for the colours. Even if from a lower league like championship or league 1.

The added physical might for me is more important right now than watching our lightweight team pussy footing about. Even go to the top 6 clubs for reserves or promising players on loan. We need more muscle and speed all over the pitch

What’s Steve Walsh up to?

Nothing at the moment, I believe... built a great rep at Leicester, lost it at Everton.

Looking at his track record, I wouldn’t be disappointed with him to be honest. Happy to take everyone’s tenure at Everton with a pinch of salt as they’re a mess of a club with no real strategy.

Nothing at the moment, I believe... built a great rep at Leicester, lost it at Everton.

Looking at his track record, I wouldn’t be disappointed with him to be honest. Happy to take everyone’s tenure at Everton with a pinch of salt as they’re a mess of a club with no real strategy.

At least he'd have recent relevant experience.

According to The Guardian we’re looking for: Southampton intend to recruit a football director who will be tasked with leading recruitment, analysis and the academy.

Should be, yes. But with Gao controlling the purse strings it probably isn't as much of an attraction as we'd like to think.

AS SaintsLoyal says, Glover is likely to be elevated if only as a "temporary" measure, only to be made permanent after a period (no doubt due to our saving on wages. False economy probably but that seems to be the way we operate).

Brentford seem to do ok on a small budget. I think it shows if the scouting process is good, players can be found that don’t take tens of millions to buy.

If there's someone at Bournemouth in a head of player recruitment role we should look at them, their business from the lower leagues has been outstanding - it can't all be Howe!

Why would they leave them for us?

Bournemouth have comfortably outspent us since their promotion in 2016 (Net Spend)

Can’t see this appointment being anything but underwhelming. Damn it, I’ve not used that word to describe Saints for a long time!

Agree with an earlier post...it does feel like a bit like rats leaving a sinking ship at the moment. There’s a massive re-build required, so let’s hope we can survive the season.

Let Ralph have a say in this, as he will clearly be working with the guy to overhaul our squad, so it s much better bringing someone he trusts, can work with, and understand the requirements of his style of play.

On the contrary, this is a senior Management/Director position and should not be a person that Ralph favours as Ralph will be reporting to him.