Saints 1 Chelsea 4 Post match meltdown

Ohio Saint

Chelsea closed down PEH and Rom when on the ball which made them panic and give away possession, and broke from there. I’m for the youth of Slattery to perhaps pep things up.

There'll be no youthful pep from Slattery - he's just the latest in a line of plodding midfielders who can't run for toffee.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

There'll be no youthful pep from Slattery - he's just the latest in a line of plodding midfielders who can't run for toffee.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I’ve only seen him in glimpses but he looked to have something about him. Do you want to rely on PEH and co?.

Exactly like watching the same team that turned up under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes today... Disgusting.

We're meant to be this high pressing, high energy team, but we were standing off Chelsea every time and letting them dance around us. I remember when Pochettino first game in and where we lacked in quality we more than made up for it with our energy and that's the bare minimum as a fan we should expect, but we were jogging half arsedly around the pitch throughout.

I wouldn't blame Boufal if he refused to come on again. He drops out of the team for doing little wrong, while you can guarantee Ward-Prowse and Redmond will be in the starting eleven ahead of him, putting out the same sub-standard, non-contributory displays each week. Boufal should be signed up to a new contract already! Odds on that we get caught sleeping again and lose him on a free and he comes back to haunt us?

As for Hojbjerg, please let him go for free. Him, Redmond and Ward-Prowse are far too comfortable in their positions. What was the point in signing Danso?

And, last, but by no means least. Ralph was scared to make a sub until the final moments for the second week in a row! These players aren't going to make an impact and change the game with 10 minutes left! It's rookie errors and considering Ralph came up against who is very much a new manager in Frank Lampard, he got absolutely schooled.

Outclassed by a good team but not a great team and that lies the issue. That was a gutless performance from the minute they went one up and you could see any confidence drain from the team. It’s obvious that Ralph doesn’t rate the bench but some of his tactical decisions just don’t make any sense and I am unsure who is giving him any assistance.

But I keep saying this, get used to it as under gao it isn’t going to get any better. And another season of gloom appears to becoming a real possibility.

This just sums up modern football and why i hate the Premier League

****ing embarrassing - sums up everything I hate about going to St Mary’s these days, A Soulless bowl with a sterile atmosphere full of half and half scarf wearing daytrippers watching the game through their smart phones. Can’t wait till we get relegated so all those plastics **** off and we go back to a decent atmosphere with a third less in attendance.

Seriously fed up of planning my whole day around football to go and watch **** players like Ward Prowse and Hojbjerg steal a living as Premier League footballers.

Only heading one way this season and to be honest the Championship is our level now.

To be honest I don’t think this squad is even that good. Combine that with a chairman without a pot to **** in and I’d fully back us to do a Sunderland.

EGMsd0NX0AINF_A?format=jpg&name=900x900

Chinese tourists

Top 6 fans in home end

Using phone to film game

Half and half scarfs.

What an assortment of c^nts; not sure which I detest more the half and half scarves, or filming an opponent celebrating (unless of course they are glory seekers following 'their' club, in which case they shouldn't be sat there in the first place).

Careful what you about the Chines "tourists", they could be our next or future owners.

JWP has reverted to his absolute bloody useless worse self.....oh sorry he takes a great free kick, yeah that one today was killer.

PEH - awful

Gunn - awful

Redmond - blind alleys and no creativity

Bertrand - torn to shreds

Valery - suspect defending

Yoshida/Bednerek - best of a bad lot of centre backs which says it all

Long - upgrade on Adams at least

Ings - did ok

Romeu - not as good as usual but still better than anyone else

Ralph - substitutes all like for like and much too late - WE WERE 3-1 DOWN FFS

Terrible performance

First major mistake was Ralph's should never of started Gunn, how many goals does he have to give away?, the whole defence was nervy knowing they had a crap goalkeeper behind them. I also don't understand why Boufal wasn,t playing,been one of our best players so far this year. I have come to the conclusion that Ralph has been found out he is not the manager he thinks he is.

International break has come at good time as our season needs a major reboot. Looking at our fixtures if we don’t change approach radically we will be in bottom three by end of November, which is when easier set of fixtures arrive. Suggests following:

- replace Gunn with McCarthy. Needs to regain confidence, Alex is keeping clean sheets in cup and Gunn’s distribution and leadership qualities have dipped.

- stick with three centre backs, would try Danso alongside today’s two.

- drop JWP. Not delivering and needs to be taken out for a while.

- drop Redmond. Not same player since injury.

- play Boufal behind Ings and Adams and let front two build a partnership.

And hope Moussa gets fit quickly.

International break has come at good time as our season needs a major reboot. Looking at our fixtures if we don’t change approach radically we will be in bottom three by end of November, which is when easier set of fixtures arrive. Suggests following:

- replace Gunn with McCarthy. Needs to regain confidence, Alex is keeping clean sheets in cup and Gunn’s distribution and leadership qualities have dipped.

All sounds good to me.

Felt like a tourist game today, so many randoms in the crowd. Not sure if there were free tickets given out or something.

**** game though, rubbish.

Hoj again back to his talks a good game but can't deliver mode. Bertrand might as well have been on the bench, he was dreadful. I think we've rushed Redmond back, doesn't look quite there. Gunn needs to be dropped, absolutely awful communication AGAIN.

Why can't we just throw Danso in the back 2...? He was supposed to be our 'CB' we waited so long for. I'd throw him in to be honest.

Not much else to review, was pretty **** really.

Our owner is the problem .....

Felt like a tourist game today, so many randoms in the crowd. Not sure if there were free tickets given out or something.

**** game though, rubbish.

Hoj again back to his talks a good game but can't deliver mode. Bertrand might as well have been on the bench, he was dreadful. I think we've rushed Redmond back, doesn't look quite there. Gunn needs to be dropped, absolutely awful communication AGAIN.

Why can't we just throw Danso in the back 2...? He was supposed to be our 'CB' we waited so long for. I'd throw him in to be honest.

Not much else to review, was pretty **** really.

How you think Bertrand was worse than Jwp is beyond me.

How many managers have we had in trying to get this bunch of players to kick on?

Maybe it's time to get realistic and realize some of our players just cannot play consistently at this level......

Time to get ruthless January and sell the under performers and rebuild.

How many managers have we had in trying to get this bunch of players to kick on?

Maybe it's time to get realistic and realize some of our players just cannot play consistently at this level......

Time to get ruthless January and sell the under performers and rebuild.

Who would buy any of this lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me we need to win midfield the 3 today never will poor Romeu can’t do on own.

What was Hojberg doing second half couldn’t work out his position at all almost a 10 at time leaving massive gaps Kante breezed through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Ralph has been well and truly found out , seems to be manager who sets up to make changes at 70 mins regardless of the game , this game needed a more mobile midfield , the 3 OR PEh and JWP all pretty static and although watching from Northam I'd say pretty much in a line .

When the change is made he hooks Long , rather than PEH or JWP who had both been pretty awful , it needed someone who'd worry and unsettle then , Boufal , and maybe play Danso to sweep infront of Yoshi and Bednarek , my fear is I reckon other than Gunn thats the best back 5 we have , if we play 3 CB's we lack any iniative in midfield , Redmond had one shot?

Hopeless , I only renewed season ticket on the last evening this year , begining to think I made a mistake believing the hype around this manager and his style , we only seem tp press goalies or at leaast Ings does , we shift the ball left to right no quicker than I can go around the m25 and today lacked anyone who could pass to team mat let alone play someone into space, too many players off form , Gunn and Bednarek , add in PEH and JWP and your close to 50% of the players on the pitch , when the manager can't see the changes needed to help them but changes a forwrd rather than the midfield balance its a big worry

This but I doubt it will happen.

Well Ralph has been well and truly found out , seems to be manager who sets up to make changes at 70 mins regardless of the game , this game needed a more mobile midfield , the 3 OR PEh and JWP all pretty static and although watching from Northam I'd say pretty much in a line .

When the change is made he hooks Long , rather than PEH or JWP who had both been pretty awful , it needed someone who'd worry and unsettle then , Boufal , and maybe play Danso to sweep infront of Yoshi and Bednarek , my fear is I reckon other than Gunn thats the best back 5 we have , if we play 3 CB's we lack any iniative in midfield , Redmond had one shot?

Hopeless , I only renewed season ticket on the last evening this year , begining to think I made a mistake believing the hype around this manager and his style , we only seem tp press goalies or at leaast Ings does , we shift the ball left to right no quicker than I can go around the m25 and today lacked anyone who could pass to team mat let alone play someone into space, too many players off form , Gunn and Bednarek , add in PEH and JWP and your close to 50% of the players on the pitch , when the manager can't see the changes needed to help them but changes a forwrd rather than the midfield balance its a big worry

Front sweeper!

YEEEEESSS!

Awful. Ralph seems to have gone backwards after initially getting a tune out of this team. I've always backed him but now starting to question him.

The playing squad just isn't good enough. Gunn has made mistakes the last 2 games. We've had no decent cbs for a few years now. The midfield trio are too pedestrian, Hoj and JWP may have passion, but their ability is limited, JWP really adds nothing in open play. They are too safe, and there is no one to drive the ball forward. Ings puts the effort in, but isn't helped much by those behind him.

I'm not sure if we can get enough results to be safe this year. We've been going downhill for over 3 seasons now. The main offender in all of this is undoubtedly Les Reed, and now others are having to try and sort out the mess.

Sure it's early days in the season, but I'm struggling to name three teams who have looked worse and more vulnerable than us. Last season Fulham and Cardiff were doomed early on. The 3 promoted teams are already showing some fight and its very worrying.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

This!

But is it likely?

Ralph made 3 changes but it was like for like in each case, what’s the point in that.

I’m wondering with the mysterious dropping of Valery and Bertrand whether there have been a few players sulking about Ralph’s methods and he’s sat them to teach them a lesson but the replacements did **** so he’s stuck with putting them in so they haven’t learned ****. Bertrand was utterly abysmal today and Valery only seemed interested when attacking, he basically gave up running back on 2 off the goals.

Phones are barred in the championship!

Let's be realistic if we didn't let "tourists" in and we didn't let away fans in the home end, we'd be half empty stadium by now.

Who (without a season ticket) is still paying to see us each home game?

Alot in the home end would have been there to simply see Chelsea today and lots will have left happy.

I know the fix, we aren't playing enough players.

------------------------------------McCarthy------------------------------------

Valery-----------Bednarek----Vestergaard----Yoshida-----------------Vokins

Cedric-----------Stephens---------------------Danso-----------------Bertrand

---------------------------------Romeu-----------------------------------------

-----------------------JWP----------------------Hojbjerg-----------------------

Djenepo---------------Boufal--------------------Armstrong---------Redmond

Long--------------Ings-----------------------Obafemi-------------------Adams

Subs: Gunn, Lewis, Ramsey, Klarer, Slattery, Smallbone, McQueen, Tella, N'Lundulu

Mind you, we'd probably still lose with Stephens included...

Seriously, Chelsea despite losing Hazard are a decent side, they still have a lot of quality amongst the experienced players but they also have probably the best crop of youngsters of anyone in the "top 6" (followed by Arsenal IMO who I think will thrive in seasons to come) so today's result isn't disastrous. I personally think the Spurs result was poorer than today, even though we were at home today, as they were down to ten men for a large chunk of the game and were there for the taking, particularly on current form.

Onwards and upwards, easy game next against... ah, the team that just beat City at home. Lovely. Respect to the travelling fans...

The title says meltdown but I’m getting so used to the disappointment that after the game is done it’s just a shrug and then on to the next thing.

Didn’t expect us to win, didn’t expel us to compete, expected the errors and poor judgement. Was hoping they’d maybe surprise me.

It’s sad how indifferent I feel these days.

The title says meltdown but I’m getting so used to the disappointment that after the game is done it’s just a shrug and then on to the next thing.

Didn’t expect us to win, didn’t expel us to compete, expected the errors and poor judgement. Was hoping they’d maybe surprise me.

It’s sad how indifferent I feel these days.

You were whining about how you didn't really care anymore 18 months ago, so this is nothing new for you is it.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?59756-Being-a-Saints-fan-an-exercise-in-futility#.XZpK6yXTUlQ

Quit being a baby, put on your big boy pants and support the club.

You supported the club getting us where we now are after all. Remember your "Les Reed appreciation" posts and thread

Chinese tourists

Top 6 fans in home end

Using phone to film game

Half and half scarfs.

This game is dead to me.

Completely agree, sooner we're back in the championship the better, our time in this league is done, will remember the Koeman years fondly but that photo sums up why i no longer enjoy going to St Marys

Pathetic!

First half shocking but eclipsed by the second.

The very minimum you expect to see is some effort and passion.

You can be excused for a lack of ability but without the above it just becomes gutless.

That was embarrassing today, apathy has set in and we are so out of our depth its frightening

Can't be arsed talking about any of that sh*te. I think what sums up the Premier League for me is watching the Man U - Newcastle game after and all the ads on the electronic boards were in Chinese. They're not even trying to pretend it's for the average British fan any more.

A midfield trio of Romeu, Højbjerg, and JWP is never going to set the world alight. Too ponderous, slow to control the ball and poor passing.

No spirit, no ambition, no plan.

It's grossly unfair to lump Romeu's performances in with those of Ward-Prowse and Hojbjerg. Yes, as a collective midfield there is a lack of pace, movement and cohesion, but all season Romeu has carried the other two, particularly Ward-Prowse!!! When is Ralph going to drop him out of the starting 11? He has to try Romeu/Hojbjerg with Boufal as the attacking midfielder linking with an Ings, Moussa, Redmond/Adams front three. Today at 3-1 down a pro-active Manager would have subbed Long and Ward-Prowse for Adams and Boufal. To drop Boufal after his recent performances and then delay meaningful change until the 81st minute was painful to watch - what the feck has happened to Ralph? If Gunn and Ward-Prowse continue to start there is something seriously wrong.

The sooner you stop trying to make everyone be how you want them to be, the less angry you'll be at silly things that don't matter.

How is someone who pays to go to a match but dares to film some memento of their day a lesser fan than those that stay away and hope for relegation? Mental.

The chopping and changing has hit every area except the one it needs to hit. I'd keep Romeu but at least one of PEH and JWP needs to sit for a while; unfortunately they're the first names on Ralph's team sheet.

I'm certainly not a JWP hater but he was abysmal today - creating nothing, giving it away in bad places, and offering little from set pieces. PEH used to drive forward, but now he hangs back in no mans land, getting bypassed with ease.

I'm okay with the back four he fielded today, although Valery gets positionally lost too often and Bertrand still seems almost disinterested.

Up front we have some options but they need the ball earlier if they're to do any damage. The ball won't come earlier with PEH and JWP in midfield.

The performance was dreadful but even more worrying was the abject surrender.

I personally would drop PEH. Both are playing terribly. I believe JWP is simply out of form and doesn't seem quite right fitness wise either as it doesn't look like he's getting round the pitch as well as he was. But that can be fixed over the next 2 weeks and it may click if he keeps playing. My worry with PEH is that he's simply not very good rather than out of form

Sent from my CPH1835 using Tapatalk

Was Mount really the front cover of our programme today?! Saw it on Twitter but praying it’s a mock up.

Front cover had Ings on his knees against Pompey.

Back cover a similar picture of Mount.

The match day programme equivalent of a half and half scarf.

Our club is a mess. Positively encouraging the type of tourist fan we had today while doing nothing to try and sort out the dwindling atmosphere that makes St Mary's possibly the worst home ground in the league.