Vitesse Build Up & Match Thread

fanimal

Really hope we go for it because the away game will be much tougher .

Would avoid playing Davis as an attacking midfielder as he is hopeless in anything attack related . Would prefer Jrod as he would be much more effective.

Was thinking the same, but might go down to away goals....do we go all out in the first leg? or play not to concede...?!

let it go. I got a seat where i usually sit without the need for a membership.

I go to 5-7 home games a season. Will let you know if I miss out due to not having a membership

At least we all know your membership complaints are actually about you realising that you've got less chance of getting a ticket due to being a tightwad and not due to any selfless interest in "fairness" now.

Was thinking the same, but might go down to away goals....do we go all out in the first leg? or play not to concede...?!

We always play not to concede. Every single match. Occasionally we try to do that with fewer than 2 defensive midfielders but I suspect we'll be staying tight and sucking the life out of Vitesse and assuming we'll make enough chances to score. We'll then do that in the away leg too, even if we're 2 goals behind already. Because that's how we play.

We always play not to concede. Every single match. Occasionally we try to do that with fewer than 2 defensive midfielders but I suspect we'll be staying tight and sucking the life out of Vitesse and assuming we'll make enough chances to score. We'll then do that in the away leg too, even if we're 2 goals behind already. Because that's how we play.

Away goals are crucial in Europe so a clean sheet tomorrow evening and we're halfway there.

Why did the presser get cut short?

Jordan Sibley seems to interject earlier and earlier in press conferences these days. Not sure if that's due to pressure from the written media or, for whatever reason (interferes with the training schedule?), the club doesn't want the press conference to drag on too long. It always used to stretch to 20 minutes or so but that's quite rare these days (unless my memory is playing tricks on me)

Jordan Sibley seems to interject earlier and earlier in press conferences these days. Not sure if that's due to pressure from the written media or, for whatever reason (interferes with the training schedule?), the club doesn't want the press conference to drag on too long. It always used to stretch to 20 minutes or so but that's quite rare these days (unless my memory is playing tricks on me)

I remember the pressers with Adkins would go for 30-45 minutes. The ones with Pochettino took longer too but that was also due to the fact that he had an interpretor. But you're right, these days they're not as long as they once were.

Why wouldn't we start with Jay? Especially in the home leg.

I imagine they will be slowly bringing him back into the fold, he will probably play the last 20 mins or so.

When everyone is fit that front 4 would be the 1st choice line up.

The quality of questions in the press conferences are the biggest reasons they are tosh.

Especially with a Manager like Ronald who seems quite open on most topics.

Its like they only think what they are going to ask once he sits down and its the same tedious crap every week.

Feel sorry for these poor sods really - "welcome to England", deal with the delays on the M20, the inevitable car park of the M25 through Surrey, roadworks all the way down the M3 until Basingstoke, then they get dumped in Southampton to make their own way around in a city with essentially not a lot to do.

Yup, and when they finally make it to the stadium they are not allowed to smoke... British football is getting cleaner and cleaner! :lol:

Being a Feyenoord fan I do not have much sympathy for Vitesse nowadays as they are one of two clubs in Holland who are owned by some rich dude who is clearly not much interested in his club at all. Guess I'm old fashioned as I don't like to see the people's game taken over by rich bast*rds who're just looking for a new toy to show off. In Vitesse's case it's some Russian who is linked to Chelsea's Abramovich and no one knows for sure how the club is being runned financially. In order to get their huge debt in line with the Dutch FA rules they had to sell some players and Feyenoord got lucky to buy Vejinovic as a replacement for Clasie for only 2,5 million pounds while this guy has even more potential than Clasie...

However, last year they played the most attractive football in the Eredivisie and they fully deserved a ticket to the Uefa League. They lacked a goalscorer like Wilfried Bony who was sold to Swansea otherwise I believe they could have had a shot at the title. But they lost key players in their defense and midfield this summer so it's hard to say what we can expect from them this season. They got 4 new players from Chelsea but I've never seen these guys play and I even don't know if they're ready yet to add something to the team. Therefore I reckon that the Saints will have an easy win: 4-0.

Yup, and when they finally make it to the stadium they are not allowed to smoke... British football is getting cleaner and cleaner! :lol:

Being a Feyenoord fan I do not have much sympathy for Vitesse nowadays as they are one of two clubs in Holland who are owned by some rich dude who is clearly not much interested in his club at all. Guess I'm old fashioned as I don't like to see the people's game taken over by rich bast*rds who're just looking for a new toy to show off. In Vitesse's case it's some Russian who is linked to Chelsea's Abramovich and no one knows for sure how the club is being runned financially. In order to get their huge debt in line with the Dutch FA rules they had to sell some players and Feyenoord got lucky to buy Vejinovic as a replacement for Clasie for only 2,5 million pounds while this guy has even more potential than Clasie...

I've never seen these guys play and I even don't know if they're ready yet to add something to the team. Therefore I reckon that the Saints will have an easy win: 4-0.

Thanks for the heads up on Vejinovic .... we'll be over next summer with a cheque :lol: Hope you are right about the score .. would be great to go over to Arnhem without any pressure for both the players and the fans alike and be able to enjoy the experience!!

Having said that ..... 3 words of warning ...... Watford and Tranmere:scared:

Those of us old enough may well still remember going to 2nd tier Watford for the away leg 4-0 up and managed to lose 7-1, even though we had the likes of Channon, Charlie George, Steve Moran, Nick Holmes, Stevie Williams, Dave Watson and Chris Nicholl playing. At least we took the game to extra time via an own goal :? More recently the FA Cup replay at 3rd tier Tranmere ..... they only needed less than 45 mins to overhaul our 3-0 halftime advantage and run out 4-3 winners :blush:

The only "Magic of The Cup" I want to see is some quality goals scored by us!

However, last year they played the most attractive football in the Eredivisie and they fully deserved a ticket to the Uefa League. They lacked a goalscorer like Wilfried Bony who was sold to Swansea otherwise I believe they could have had a shot at the title. But they lost key players in their defense and midfield this summer so it's hard to say what we can expect from them this season. They got 4 new players from Chelsea but I've never seen these guys play and I even don't know if they're ready yet to add something to the team. Therefore I reckon that the Saints will have an easy win: 4-0.

No smoking, no drinking, no standing, no shouting, no swearing. You must very politely clap when your team scores a goal otherwise the noise police will ban you for 5 years from every ground in the world ...

Well, not quite, but it's not far off!!

I'm not sure about their Chelsea players either, they're all young and the only one I recognise is Isiah Brown who I think Chelsea bought/stole recently from West Brom (?) and was tipped to go on to good things. I can't see him being good enough to start for them!?

No smoking, no drinking, no standing, no shouting, no swearing. You must very politely clap when your team scores a goal otherwise the noise police will ban you for 5 years from every ground in the world ...

I'm not sure about their Chelsea players either, they're all young and the only one I recognise is Isiah Brown who I think Chelsea bought/stole recently from West Brom (?) and was tipped to go on to good things. I can't see him being good enough to start for them!?

Isaiah Brown is a good player. Could be a handful. That said, we should make sure they don't get in too many decent offensive positions.

Currently off with Glanudular Fever. Was up until 4am, fearing the worse.

I have a horrible feeling I won't make it :(

Has it just started?

Was diagnosed with it in 1999, right after coming back from OT (Taibi's famous howler). Didn't feel great on the way up; but that was just the start and it got a lot worse. The one positive is that there are no ifs and buts as your only instinct is to sleep.

Random but seems appropriate here - nearly got run over by a Dutch car weaving (lost) around the back streets of central Winchester yesterday near my office, I'd like to think it was football related. :)

Isaiah Brown is a good player. Could be a handful. That said, we should make sure they don't get in too many decent offensive positions.

Yep he is one I have been tracking and hoping we would go in for - strong, quick and a real handful when playing in games I saw for u19s etc but

will he settle abroad playing for them....one we should watch though.

Geez, as everything in the UK does come across the channel it will be a matter of time then before I'm getting drilled when I enter a Dutch stadium...

I read in the Dutch Telegraaf (http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/vitesse/24322143/__Tieners_Vitesse_in_Engeland__.html) that Vitesse is going to play with a team that couldn't look any younger than this except for captain Guram Kashia who says he always liked to play against Pelle in the Eredivisie. The new Chelsea loans Nathan Allan de Souza, Danila Pantic and Isiah Brown should be familiar to Southampton fans as they were part of the youth academy from the Saints.

Vitesse's coach Peter Bosz is a bit bluffing:"I never lost playing against a British club in my career as a player with Feyenoord and we did win our preseason game against Manchester City with 4-2..." But he knows better and he's happy that his team gets the chance to play two great matches against Southampton in order to learn.