Tottenham build up thread ...a question posed

Yorkshire Saint

Psychology is more important than players now. If Pochettino rallies them and they train well they're still favourites. If there's any negativity lingering from tonight and we come at them strong we've got a good chance.

They're not playing for anything if Arsenal lose away at Man City on Saturday. Spurs would be guaranteed second no matter what.

When Dier was booked, it came up with "10" on the yellow card count display. Isn't that a suspension?

Shame if not - can only assume Clattenburg didn't send him off at the end because once the second free-kick (following the advantage) had been given he knew there was only 5 seconds left and didn't want to produce a red in that scenario.

Cumulative yellows deadline has passed for 10. I find it vaguely comical that there are people talking about him getting 5 bookings, which stopped being a thing nearly 6 months ago.

As for "didn't want to..." what it was was Clattenburg absolutely failing as a referee. He knew perfectly well he should have sent Dier off (and probably twice before that as well), he sure as hell didn't forget with Willian pointing it out to him, he just chose not to do what he is supposed to. I'd have the FA Cup Final off him for that, tbh.

Edited by The9

I genuinely wanted Spurs to beat Chelsea last night and Everton to scrape a result at Leicester on Saturday to set up Saints beating Spurs on Sunday to hand Leicester the title..

Longshot I know, but it would have made my first trip to WHL all the more enjoyable!

As Chelsea showed, us just drawing with them would have been perfectly satisfying given the outcome.

Actually, it is true.

Peter Schmeichel has won the league (TRUE), had a son (TRUE), and that son has won the league in the time since Liverpool last won the league (ALSO TRUE).

Semantics due to the lack of Oxford comma, which is entirely necessary in this case to clarify the sentence - and make it untrue of the implied meaning. Because otherwise they're just 3 unrelated Schmeichel facts, as opposed to one implying causality. It's also true that Frank Lampard Senior has won the league, had a son, and that son has won the league since Liverpool won the title, but I'm fairly sure no-one cares about the second division title West Ham won in 1981.

Each of those things IS individually true, but the implication is that Peter Schmeichel's son has been born and grown up since Liverpool last won the league, which is not true.

Hard to deny Spurs will have lost some edge, plus Dembele and Alli.

Dier and Mason is still a good midfield but we can match it. Don't let them have an end of season celebration of CL football, let's go there and hit them while they're down. Whatever way they dress it up, they are down. 2nd is amazing is any other season, but they've missed their best ever chance to win this league and if they do manage it in the future, it will be far more difficult than this and probably require a lot more points.

Echo Bexy's observation on Lamela - that looked deliberate to me - and certainly Dembele will be getting a ban asap for the appalling eye gouge on Costa although Costa is no angel. I'd be surprised if Toby is fit as well, limped off heavily last night and might be ready for their final game maybe. All the more annoying Dier wasn't sent off as he could have been by Clattenburg although very hard game to ref last night (in more senses than one). Needed eyes in the back of his head but he did see Dier's second booking and the first foul was a borderline yellow/red although probably the correct decision to give him a yellow for the foul on Hazard.

Alli missing too - come on Saints, let's get an overdue win at WHL. When was the last time we won at Sprus in the league or any competition? Mid 90s with two late MLT goals? Remember the cup game at the turn of 90s, wasn't that where it kicked off with Pompey in Covent Garden afterwards?

Echo Bexy's observation on Lamela - that looked deliberate to me - and certainly Dembele will be getting a ban asap for the appalling eye gouge on Costa although Costa is no angel. I'd be surprised if Toby is fit as well, limped off heavily last night and might be ready for their final game maybe. All the more annoying Dier wasn't sent off as he could have been by Clattenburg although very hard game to ref last night (in more senses than one). Needed eyes in the back of his head but he did see Dier's second booking and the first foul was a borderline yellow/red although probably the correct decision to give him a yellow for the foul on Hazard.

Alli missing too - come on Saints, let's get an overdue win at WHL. When was the last time we won at Sprus in the league or any competition? Mid 90s with two late MLT goals? Remember the cup game at the turn of 90s, wasn't that where it kicked off with Pompey in Covent Garden afterwards?

Hoddle was sacked as their manager in September 2003 after we had beaten them 3-1. Free kick from Beatty?

Cumulative yellows deadline has passed for 10. I find it vaguely comical that there are people talking about him getting 5 bookings, which stopped being a thing nearly 6 months ago.

As for "didn't want to..." what it was was Clattenburg absolutely failing as a referee. He knew perfectly well he should have sent Dier off (and probably twice before that as well), he sure as hell didn't forget with Willian pointing it out to him, he just chose not to do what he is supposed to. I'd have the FA Cup Final off him for that, tbh.

Totally agree. The officials completely bottled it last night. The Dembele incident was outrageous Costa or no Costa and the lino funked it.

Think that was before the game wasn't it? Must've been around '91 as i remember On The March doing a **** take quiz about "being the police". They basically turned up 30 mins late and nicked everyone in a ten metre radius of the pub including an old man and his grandson. Also didn't the skates CS gas the pub? Classy lot they were.

There was definitely a win around 2003 to Hoddle sacked and we've snuck the odd draw, but it's a ground we have a fairly shocking record on in modern times.

Semantics due to the lack of Oxford comma, which is entirely necessary in this case to clarify the sentence - and make it untrue of the implied meaning. Because otherwise they're just 3 unrelated Schmeichel facts, as opposed to one implying causality. It's also true that Frank Lampard Senior has won the league, had a son, and that son has won the league since Liverpool won the title, but I'm fairly sure no-one cares about the second division title West Ham won in 1981.

Each of those things IS individually true, but the implication is that Peter Schmeichel's son has been born and grown up since Liverpool last won the league, which is not true.

Oh, and in case anyone thinks "that's not the point", this suggests it is entirely the point - because this is wrong too (if still funny):

13164421_1030080497028845_4359385180777156388_n.jpg?oh=31ccc32a1344268350c60f9b40cd42cd&oe=57A4A3B3

I knew there was a cut off for the 5 bookings but thought it then became 10, and didn't realise there was another cut off. I agree about it being a Clattenburg failure, but was just giving my opinion on why (albeit incorrectly) he didn't send him off.

I so desperately want us to give them a resounding tonking on Sun.

I think it would feel better than the wins at Man U and Chelsea, the drubbings of Arsenal and Citeh at St Mary's, even the 0-2 to 3-2 over Liverpool, but had Bodgers still been in charge that would have been the highlight of the season!!

Ended up watching last night's motd as well, still can't believe how Dier stayed on the pitch, 3 border line red cards in the space of 5 mins.

How can Clattenburg be considered the best ref around after that performance.

Clattenburg should also be up before the "punishment panel". He chickened out because it was the home side and they were chasing the title.

If all those fouls had been done by Chelsea's players.....they'd have finished the game with 8 men. Disgraceful refereeing, and the assistants were little better.

I so desperately want us to give them a resounding tonking on Sun.

Totally agree Eric......if for no other reason than Ronald Koeman can show that he is a better manager.

Pochettinoi left us in the sh*t, and half the team defected which meant Ronald had to virtually start with half a team...

We may not even qualify for Europe, but I really want a win on Sunday....for the fans' sake.

Clattenburg should also be up before the "punishment panel". He chickened out because it was the home side and they were chasing the title.

If all those fouls had been done by Chelsea's players.....they'd have finished the game with 8 men. Disgraceful refereeing, and the assistants were little better.

Spurs were the away side.

Clattenburg did completely lose it. Thinking about it, for such a supposed professional side, I can't think of the last time I saw a team lose it like Spurs did last night.

Winning at WHL will be hard but I so want it. I cannot believe the apologists for the Spuds Players, from the Chelsea Manager to has been footballers they are all at it. The Spuds Players were an absolute disgrace not just to football but to sport in general. If that had been Rugby Union half the team would be facing lengthy bans due to the siting rules. These do not undermine referees, what they do is to ensure that dangerous and cynical play does not go unpunished.

True dat, bro. I would expect Tottenham will be charged with failure to control their players .... but Clattenburg needs to explain why he didn't show the red card on at least 3 occasions - Walker, Dier and Dembele. Had he actually left it in his jacket pocket in the changing room? They should be coming into the game at the weekend with suspensions in place. If the FA charge anyone tomorrow, how long do they have to admit/deny the charge? 72 hours? Any suspensions will likely not kick in for Sunday's game. Or will they?

I've just had a quick shufti at the FightingCocks forum and the arrogance of these people beggars belief.I just want us to turn up the heat and hit them hard and come away with a resounding victory.

I also just did the same :lol:

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/final-home-game-of-the-season-vs-southampton-08-may-1330ko.17775/page-1

really hope we smash them- all of them taking our game vs them as a given win, the twa*s.

I genuinely wanted Spurs to beat Chelsea last night and Everton to scrape a result at Leicester on Saturday to set up Saints beating Spurs on Sunday to hand Leicester the title..

Longshot I know, but it would have made my first trip to WHL all the more enjoyable!

That would've been brilliant, but us losing and them then going on to pip Leicester would've been too unpleasant to bear. So I'll take yesterday's result: better safe than sorry. If we win at WHL I'm sure you're still going to enjoy it!

Spurs were the away side.

Clattenburg did completely lose it. Thinking about it, for such a supposed professional side, I can't think of the last time I saw a team lose it like Spurs did last night.

I can, it was Chelsea v PSG last season. And Chelsea in the CL semi-Final about 5 years before that too, I remember Drogba going on, and on, and on, and on...

not much wrong with what they have said.

Agree, just had a look and it seems a normal build up thread.

Obviously they are confident of beating us, no reason for them not to be really but Saints barely referred to, they just want to finish ahead of Arsenal which is totally understandable.

As its the last away game of the season is there a theme for Sundays game? I did see mention somewhere of orange shirts in honour of our dutch contingent

It was sh11111t in concept and execution when some people decided to do it at Man City last year, God knows why they'd want to do it again.

Reads like the penultimate scene of a Mr Logic cartoon from Viz. The one before he gets punched.

I am thinking the Spurs collective will be totally deflated.

It's a bit of a tricky one, because they play such a high line it plays right into Long and Mane breaking quick which equals no Pelle, but conversely Spurs are also dire at set pieces so could also do with some extra height. I hope it's the former and we stick with the winning formula.

Throw into the mixer the possibility of no Toby, no Lamela, no Dembele, no Rose.... I also suspect Mofo will roll out all his second stringers with an arrogant little to gain, nothing to lose attitude.

Would be p*ss funny if they lose both and they end up third.

As its the last away game of the season is there a theme for Sundays game? I did see mention somewhere of orange shirts in honour of our dutch contingent

The theme this year is The Falklands War 1982, I'm going as the Defence Secretary John Nott...

I also just did the same :lol:

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/final-home-game-of-the-season-vs-southampton-08-may-1330ko.17775/page-1

really hope we smash them- all of them taking our game vs them as a given win, the twa*s.

That's a normal thread, they just want to finish above their rivals, Arsenal. So they want to beat us to beat Arsenal, not because we're Saints. I can't see anything they've said that's 'wrong', we do have some very odd fans, but no news there I guess.

"You're so vain, I bet you think this song is about you"

Echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread.

I realise that everyone realises this already but it's too funny not to type it out again.

Just imagine a season where your team finishes above Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea AND STILL DOESN'T WIN THE LEAGUE!!!!!

I'm sure they have a few decent supporters but mostly the ones I've had the misfortune of meeting were so arrogant it was laughable. I mean serious delusional kind of stuff you wouldn't believe.

The fact they have behaved appallingly in many transfer dealings and managerial tapping ups over the years with us only intensifies my utter contempt for them.

Up there with Pompey for me and possibly a bit more vitriol since they seem to turn us over more regularly.

Echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread.

I realise that everyone realises this already but it's too funny not to type it out again.

Just imagine a season where your team finishes above Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea AND STILL DOESN'T WIN THE LEAGUE!!!!!

I'm sure they have a few decent supporters but mostly the ones I've had the misfortune of meeting were so arrogant it was laughable. I mean serious delusional kind of stuff you wouldn't believe.

The fact they have behaved appallingly in many transfer dealings and managerial tapping ups over the years with us only intensifies my utter contempt for them.

Up there with Pompey for me and possibly a bit more vitriol since they seem to turn us over more regularly.

That's the fly in their ointment, We can still scupper them getting 2nd if we give them a long overdue runaround, and Arsenal decide to extract a digit.

Despite the main event being over, still exciting to be in with a chance of a prize with 2 games to go, and it not being scrapping for our lives.

The Argentine boss said: "Maybe we didn't set a good example, but it's a normal emotion, fighting on the pitch.

"I was involved in all of it. I tried to be calm. But it was a derby, we were fighting for the title and Chelsea were fighting to win the game. It's not personal. It's football, we are men, they are men, we need to show we are strong."

Not a lot of remorse there then. Seems to be an acceptable response to the PL so far.