Wesley Hoedt

St Chalet

if true, then I wonder what promises we have made him?

''You'll be our 2nd choice CB alongside your international team mate, Virgil''

Harsh on both Stephens and Yoshida, but they'll still get game time. I think Hoedt is good enough to go straight in and upgrade our defense.

This transfer window reminds me of MP's first summer window. We bought players who were upgrades on the current squad - Wanyama and Lovren. Lemina and Hoedt fall into a similar category in my opinion.

Seems to be a good player from what I have read and IF he plays alongside VVD then we have a very strong centre half pairing. The spine of the team is what interests me now and we seem to have really put in some pace and height there.

Amazing how much more optimistic you can feel when we strengthen rather than weaken the squad in a transfer window.

Didn't the owners say there would bo no signings this month?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/southampton-owner-tells-mauricio-pellegrino-he-has-no-extra-funds-6xz3ff8v6

Mauricio Pellegrino has been told not to expect any additional transfer funds this month.

No direct quotes from the owner(s) in that article though. Make of that what you will...

I assume that is over and above what was already agreed with Kat.

I think its reasonable to infer that from the article. (i.e. it doesn't state, explicitly or otherwise, that Pellegrino will have less to spend than before the takeover)

I saw Hoedt playing for the Netherlands against France last night and it was terrible. Luckily the whole team was rubbish so I won't single him out. Also, VvD didn't make a good impression in the games he played for the Dutch and yet he was very valuable for the Saints. Hopefully it will turn out the same with Hoedt...

You must dread every single Saints game, in fact why do you even bother?

why do any of us bother.....I wasnt being serious. The whole world knows that Hoot wont be facing Mbappe. I have never even commented on how (apparently) terrible he looked last night.

why don't you ask those that did this question?

I had one eye on the France v Holland game last night. There wasn't much, if anything, Hoedt could have done about the first 3 goals IMO (indeed, for the middle two goals the play leading up to them wasn't even in his vicinity IIRC). Yes, he got turned inside out for the 4th goal, but I'd like to see a defender that Mbappe wouldn't have skinned with the skill he exhibited there.

Didn't come away from the game worried about Hoedt's performance. It wasn't great, but it wasn't dreadful. IMO. I'm certainly not going to judge him on one performance in a Dutch side who were very poor overall.

Edited by trousers

I had one eye on the France v Holland game last night. There wasn't much, if anything, Hoedt could have done about the first 3 goals IMO (indeed, for the middle two goals the play leading up to them wasn't even in his vicinity IIRC). Yes, he got turned inside out for the 4th goal, but I'd like to see a defender that Mbappe wouldn't have skinned with the skill he exhibited there.

Didn't come away from the game worried about Hoedt's performance. It wasn't great, but it wasn't dreadful. IMO. I'm certainly not going to judge him on one performance in a Dutch side who were very poor overall.

Basically this. Their defence was terribly exposed for the majority of the second half and most of the team were poor. As has been said already, there aren't any strikers in the premier league as good as Mbappe.

Wasn't it him that got clumsily sucked into the ball for the one-two that put Griezeman through for the first? Again, arguably not a lot of shame in being made to look lumpen by one of the nippiest attackers in the world...

Now that was a big mistake from him. Blind was already out of position, he should have stayed in line with de Vrij.

He was exposed for pace a few times but that was also down to the Dutch midfield letting fast players run at the defence with pace. I was disappointed that he didn't win more headers against Giroud, even if Giroud is one of the best attackers in the air.

Wasn't it him that got clumsily sucked into the ball for the one-two that put Griezeman through for the first? Again, arguably not a lot of shame in being made to look lumpen by one of the nippiest attackers in the world...

They were all disastrously bad because the team is bad, no point in trying to settle individual blame on any one player for any one event. Dutch football is a mess because all of their promising young players are sold off to bg clubs, where they don't play, at very early ages.

Also not sure why anyone is expecting a 23 year old centre back to be the finished article, he was always going to be rough around the edges and won't be at his peak for another 4-5 years. Plus it's France, they have probably half a billions worth of attacking talent at the moment.

Holland are an absolute basket case atm. They haven't appointed a decent manager for years and they are constantly at 6's and 7's. **** Advocaat is the manager ffs, so I won't be judging him based on any international games as their ability to defend has been non existent for years now.

Now that was a big mistake from him. Blind was already out of position, he should have stayed in line with de Vrij.

He was exposed for pace a few times but that was also down to the Dutch midfield letting fast players run at the defence with pace. I was disappointed that he didn't win more headers against Giroud, even if Giroud is one of the best attackers in the air.

I agree with most of this. His positioning wasn't great and he was far from dominant in the air. What worried me most though was his lack of pace. Yes his midfield exposed him, and yes there was a lot of pace in that French team, but you're either slow or your not and he looked slow.

Also not sure why anyone is expecting a 23 year old centre back to be the finished article, he was always going to be rough around the edges and won't be at his peak for another 4-5 years. Plus it's France, they have probably half a billions worth of attacking talent at the moment.

So are you suggesting we stick with Stephens and Yoshi until VVD returns

Apart from their collective inability to defend crosses in the air, no.

Have you seen Hoedt play? We've had 2 clean sheets in 3 games this season. I'd stick with Stephens and Yoshida based on what I've seen.

Have you seen Hoedt play? We've had 2 clean sheets in 3 games this season. I'd stick with Stephens and Yoshida based on what I've seen.

I've seen Yoshida and Stephens play and that's what I was commenting on. We gifted Swansea two great chances. I made no comment on Hoedt, I simply noted that there is something wrong with having Stephens and Yoshida as a partnership for a prolonged period.

How's our plan to extract maximum value for VVD by rushing through a sale at the last minute going?

Yoshi's not so bad and Jack will improve with coaching I'm sure. Frankly I'd be surprised if Hoedt is an upgrade on either.

Both have their qualities but getting their head on the end of crosses is not one of them for either player. Hoedt is a young player, who like Stephens is still learning his trade, hence the determination to keep old of VvD but he is much better in the air than either of them.

Brilliant!! So we're writing off another new signing before he's even played for us!

Not at all but I'm not a 'we've signed him so he'll be great' person, instead I judge all players on their merits. From what I've seen he'll take a lot of improvement to be better than Stephens and Yoshida on current form. However, he looks a better 3rd pick than Bednarek.

I've seen Yoshida and Stephens play and that's what I was commenting on. We gifted Swansea two great chances. I made no comment on Hoedt, I simply noted that there is something wrong with having Stephens and Yoshida as a partnership for a prolonged period.

How's our plan to extract maximum value for VVD by rushing through a sale at the last minute going?

First point noted. Second point, unless you've been asleep you will have noticed that we didn't sell VvD.

Didn't we just sign him for £15million? He'd better be an upgrade. Until VVD sorts himself out i'm hoping for Hoedt and Stephens to play.

Hopefully D*ick Advocaat has had a word in VvD's ear, I'm sure he's desperate for him and Hoedt to be playing regular and building a partnership alongside each other. To our benefit too, hopefully.

First point noted. Second point, unless you've been asleep you will have noticed that we didn't sell VvD.

Oh! you have realised that, have you. According to you, he was a nailed on certainty to be sold, and here you are, running down a new signing, that none of us have seen play in the team yet. Your sort, the club can do without.

Not at all but I'm not a 'we've signed him so he'll be great' person, instead I judge all players on their merits. From what I've seen he'll take a lot of improvement to be better than Stephens and Yoshida on current form. However, he looks a better 3rd pick than Bednarek.

What have "you seen" then that the rest of us have not? He hasn't played for us yet!!!

You judge players on their merits? Wow! This is so derisible you couldn't make it up.

An unhatched Egg for sure.

Yoshi's not so bad and Jack will improve with coaching I'm sure. Frankly I'd be surprised if Hoedt is an upgrade on either.

One for the coaches. How do you coach someone who e.g. always goes to the right to go to the left, right, stay back, go forward, etc all depending on circumstances and ensure they always make the right decision, they're in the right place, they can always process everything that's going on around them and can always concentrate fully on their task (which changes slightly depending on the above)?

I presume to an extent it is done as that's what academies are for, but at what point do you say: X doesn't get it, can't improve; possibly because their instincts are too ingrained or Y doesn't get it because he's just not sharp enough (in footballing terms, which still comes down to instincts to a extent - if it does)?

I agree with most of this. His positioning wasn't great and he was far from dominant in the air. What worried me most though was his lack of pace. Yes his midfield exposed him, and yes there was a lot of pace in that French team, but you're either slow or your not and he looked slow.

As we saw with Jordy Clasie, being a Dutch international nowadays is about as much of a recommendation as being capped for Romania so that in itself doesn't mean much. Lack of pace is a fatal flaw in the Premier League, and some of the lightning fast PL strikers will ruthlessly exploit it. If he is indeed that slow, maybe he can at least replace the hapless Gardos and Bednarek when we play lower league sides in cup games? Let's hope he isn't that slow. We'll have to wait and see and hope for the best.