Man City 2 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

In fairness, the time is "minimum of 5 minutes" I believe, so the only incorrect thing to do would be to play less than 5. That being said, god knows where 5 minutes came from. Actually, I know where it came from - Manchester City, media darlings, weren't winning, so they got some extra time to help them. Makes me sick.

Sterling is a little scumbag, hope he suffers a career ending injury asap. Add de Bruyne to the list, hideous pigface boy. And as for the commentators who can't help wnk over everything City do - they've had cheat mode enabled for about 10 years now, but that's not a problem is it? Who cares?! "Man City showed their class", no they didn't, cvntface, they showed how fcking jammy they are and how much help they get from everybody.

Sickening, but a really impressive performance. In the grand scheme of things, the point probably won't make much difference this season (and that is what I will tell myself to prevent freaking out :x). Rather, I'll focus on how we're continuing to improve which bodes well for the rest of the season.

'Big' team allowed to play beyond the end of added time, until they score, and then time is immediately up. Is Guardiola the new Ferguson ?

Thought FF had a good game, certainly his best so far this season.

No way there was five minutes to be added on. Just bull****.

So many positives to take out of that effort even with the result, but gee it's hard to feel it right now.

On BBC website:

"Pep v Redmond

Manchester City 2-1 Southampton

Pep Guardiola is tearing into Nathan Redmond as the Southampton winger comes off. Not sure what that's all about!"

Any ideas?

Saw that at the end. Looked very heated. If anything Pep should be happy with Redmond. His ineffectual play helped City.

Sounded feckin unlucky and obviously extremely disappointing to lose so late on, but I'll take only positives from this. City are quite arguably the best team on the planet right now and we took them the full distance after looking utter sh!t for the vast majority of the season. Things may be coming together at last.

Very good effort. Redmond should never start for that team again. Boufal deserves to start every game. Austin looked knackered the minute he came on. Hoj didn't disgrace himself against much better opposition, but Lemina was superb as always. There's a team starting to form, but it needs the slow-witted and slow-limbed deadwood to be set aside permanently.

There we go - matched up the right parts.

Also, spot on comments re: Hoj, Boufal, Lemina.

I thought FF had a decent game, too.

Bertrand finally woke up from his sulky, season-long slumber.

Cedric really good today - his subbing possibly made a difference with their winner.

Redmond is useles. Boufal needs to start every game.

Well done lads, phenomenal effort. Did my deserve to lose that and that’s credit to all.

Should have brought Gabbi on instead of Austin for mobility.

Not go and attack Bournemouth and get the 3 points.

The one key change which I thought was just stupid was Long being taken off for Austin. As soon as that happened the Man City keeper was far higher up the pitch and there was no fear factor in the defenders to be closed down. Meaning we were dropping deeper and deeper and were hemmed in.

In reality we had some great chances but they are a cracking side and should have scored 3-4 against us if they were sharper, it's gutting to lose in the way we did but they were the better side overall. So had that been us scoring the late winner we would have said "deserved".

The positives are for me we have games against inferior sides to city like Arsenal and Chelsea - there's no reason why we can't be more aggressive and take the game to them.

Lemina was excellent as was our full backs and VVD/Hoedt, Romeu played his part and fought for his place in light of Hoj good form.

Redmond was terrible as always.

Boufal - classy.

Long, battled hard.

Yoshida - mixed game, made some mistakes in posession.

Forster - Excellent game made some nice saves

Overall though as a team there was belief and there was a togetherness. I think the manager has finally got it into their heads that they have to play for the shirt, we look better defensivily and attacking in our last two games because the players are beginning to feel confident in each other. Boufal is the key to our fortunes in attack, if he plays well then we look a threat. I wonder how Gabbi feels being in the cold with Long/Austin looking like first choices, but Gabbi hasn't been firing on any cylinders this season.

Very good effort. Redmond should never start for that team again. Boufal deserves to start every game. Austin looked knackered the minute he came on. Hoj didn't disgrace himself against much better opposition, but Lemina was superb as always. There's a team starting to form, but it needs the slow-witted and slow-limbed deadwood to be set aside permanently.

F... Off

Saw the first half and 15 minutes of the second...... seems I missed the drama!

Pleased with what I saw tonight: commitment, a clear plan and everyone pulling together.

Nice to see. Perhaps we are making strides in the right direction.

Right, now that I've calmed down a bit, I'll make some proper comments on the game...

First off, big props to MP for the way he set the team up tonight. The shape worked well and we managed to contain City for the most part. They had a few chances, granted, but they didn't at any point look like they would carve us open the way they have done to other teams this season.

Positives...

Back 3 looked composed and comfortable with the formation

Lemina back in CM is a massive bhoost as he is probably our best player

Hoj put in another decent shift and showed he can play OK against better opposition than he did on Sunday

Forster had a decent game and made a few good saves. Nothing spectacular, but at least he didn't let in anything that he shouldn't have.

Negatives...

Poor finishing again. we had three free headers from set pieces and couldn't hit the target with any of them.

Redmond. Just what does he offer the team? I'm baffled how he keeps getting picked. He was just so abysmally bad again tonight. No skill, no intelligence with the ball to play in others, and criminally ducked out of the way of the FK for their first goal when he was supposed to be the defensive wall. And to top it all off he is a moany little pr*ck as well. How the hell did he manage to pass our character test when we signed him? I would be happy to never see him play in a Saints shirt again.

Cedric really good today - his subbing possibly made a difference with their winner.

Agreed. Didn't look quite the same at the back once Cedric went off. Game plan was spot on though, just a shame we couldn't have hung on for few more seconds.

It’s easy to say that we could have got closer to Sterling but it was a great shot. For all we know if someone had stepped up on him he mght have still scored or it got deflected in. Great goal tbf, ****ing typical.

Had a feeling we might still lose when Cedric got hurt, it added on more time and we had to change our shape.

Redmond and Pep having an argument.

What was that all about? Pep should have been thanking him. Redmond completely lost my support tonight - he was the only Saints player who didn't give his all; he jogged around, lost the ball and didn't compete. Such a cruel end to the game where a point would have been a just reward for the performance.

The one key change which I thought was just stupid was Long being taken off for Austin. As soon as that happened the Man City keeper was far higher up the pitch and there was no fear factor in the defenders to be closed down. Meaning we were dropping deeper and deeper and were hemmed in.

In reality we had some great chances but they are a cracking side and should have scored 3-4 against us if they were sharper, it's gutting to lose in the way we did but they were the better side overall. So had that been us scoring the late winner we would have said "deserved".

The positives are for me we have games against inferior sides to city like Arsenal and Chelsea - there's no reason why we can't be more aggressive and take the game to them.

Lemina was excellent as was our full backs and VVD/Hoedt, Romeu played his part and fought for his place in light of Hoj good form.

Redmond was terrible as always.

Boufal - classy.

Long, battled hard.

Yoshida - mixed game, made some mistakes in posession.

Forster - Excellent game made some nice saves

Overall though as a team there was belief and there was a togetherness. I think the manager has finally got it into their heads that they have to play for the shirt, we look better defensivily and attacking in our last two games because the players are beginning to feel confident in each other. Boufal is the key to our fortunes in attack, if he plays well then we look a threat. I wonder how Gabbi feels being in the cold with Long/Austin looking like first choices, but Gabbi hasn't been firing on any cylinders this season.

saved me the bother. Spot on except you were too soft on Yoshida. He looked very rusty indeed. I'm not one to moan about Redmond, but thought he was a waste of a shirt and I struggle to understand why Boufal didn't get another start. He offers as much work rate and is just as reliable defensively.

Edited by Chez

That thing with Pep and Redmond, actually looked to me like Guardiola was having a go at him for not playing to his full potential...there's a cracking player in there, we've seen him waltz through opposition defences with ease, but his attitude is all wrong.

He gives him a handshake and an arm round the shoulder before berating him, hardly the actions of someone acting maliciously.

Strong team performance, unlucky result, feels like our Saints are coming back!

For such a game where we needed to be compact and organised, the formation was a good choice so fair play to MP.

I liked the 3 central defender with VvD taking over the deep lying defensive midfield position which I think would suit him best (kind of reverse libero role).

PEH, Lemina and Romeu made for a really strong central midfield where I'd have had Boufal coming in with one of Austin/Long/Gabbi up front

FF had a decent game but his handling is still suspect and his kicking needs some work. Still, for a man-mountain, he should be bossing his area - he needs to get big, nasty and grow some.

I think the players have to take heart from the performance. With a bit of luck, we get back to some attacking formation at the weekend and get a decent result.

Tonight's result was frustrating but that shows we can play and eventually win against these teams. COYS !!!!!!!!!!!

What was that all about? Pep should have been thanking him. Redmond completely lost my support tonight - he was the only Saints player who didn't give his all; he jogged around, lost the ball and didn't compete. Such a cruel end to the game where a point would have been a just reward for the performance.

Maybe he did thank him and Redmond got riled by it. Old Nathan not getting too many plaudits on here tonight.

Good summary; I was angered by Redmond's "performance" tonight. The Hoj, Romeu, Lemina midfield was excellent and is a formation that could/should be used at home against beatable teams too. Boufal showed in 10 minutes why he should never be passed over in favour of Redmond again - not that Redmond's place in the team is the only one Boufal can take.

Also, spot on comments re: Hoj, Boufal, Lemina.

I thought FF had a decent game, too.

Bertrand finally woke up from his sulky, season-long slumber.

I think that you're right. When Cedric went off, we were forced into a back four instead of the back five that we had when defending. He had been very good up until then, and probably would have had the midget Sterling in his pocket. Austin on for Redmond would have left Long on the pitch and I have absolutely no doubt that he would have carried more of a threat. Tactically Pellegrino has to be applauded apart from that.

Now let's see the 3-5-2 a bit more, especially against the big teams.

MOM..... Fraser ?

Close maybe. I think maybe Lemina for me.

I've been among the more patient with Redmond, but I think he has finally lost me. Long - frustrating and useless as he can be - will and did work his arse off to get up and back and link in other players. I would rather he was next to Gabbiadini.

And it should have been Gabbiadini instead of Austin, because he would have kept Ederson slightly more alert than he ended up being in that last little bit.

Sigh.

That thing with Pep and Redmond, actually looked to me like Guardiola was having a go at him for not playing to his full potential...there's a cracking player in there, we've seen him waltz through opposition defences with ease, but his attitude is all wrong.

As a couple of Norwich fans always said he's great running with the ball but as soon as he has to do more than that "the boy is thick as $h!t"! What we have on our hands is the finished article, he was totally anonymous second half..........if Pepe was putting a rocket up his jacksy it's was probably for being a waste of a shirt.

MOM..... Fraser ?

two very good saves in amongst a host of comfortable ones. Got lucky with some palmed straight outwards that fell to a Saint. Kicking woeful as always. That said, I think you might be right. Thought Lemina was fantastic first half, not quite as good second.

Close maybe. I think maybe Lemina for me.

I've been among the more patient with Redmond, but I think he has finally lost me. Long - frustrating and useless as he can be - will and did work his arse off to get up and back and link in other players. I would rather he was next to Gabbiadini.

And it should have been Gabbiadini instead of Austin, because he would have kept Ederson slightly more alert than he ended up being in that last little bit.

Sigh.

I agree. Austin was the wrong man for the job, but after scoring twice and being dropped hard not to give him ten minutes to get the winner.