Man City 2 Saints 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

Should be a good confidence lifter, that performance.

With the Sterling goal, and the lateness of it, it wouldn't have been the last minute, unless they scored, so let's just get used to it. The game would have gone on a few minutes more to give them a few more chances I am sure. No logic or accountability with added time, the refs just make it up as they go along, then add as much to that as they feel like. Always have. Roger Milford springs to mind.

Par for the course for this site. There are always a couple of scapegoats each season.

Whereas some seem content to have players playing **** week in week out and ‘support’ them whatever.

Redmond has been cr ap this season and if you want to make him a victim of scapegoating go ahead.

Life of a footballer is generally you play crap fans get at you, you play well you get praise.

You also get handsomely paid and generally fck off at the first opportunity to get more money so easy to see why we become less sympathetic.

Redmond might still become a decent consistent player and looked promising last season but he has dropped off dramatically this year - that is on him.

Picking on Redmond is no help to anyone, it is what 'fans' did to Mane, (don't blame him for leaving,) now look at his reputation----give players encouragement and support that is what fans are for.

Hope Mane recovers soon from being hounded out.

Shame about the result. Respect to those who travelled. Good performance from everyone and Redmond nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. Looked at the Citeh forum and most are a graceless bunch of ****ers, banging on about "anti football" and time wasting. Or good defensive display away to league leaders as i prefer to call it. Used to think Citeh were alright, now they can **** off.

Shame about the result. Respect to those who travelled. Good performance from everyone and Redmond nowhere near as bad as some on here make out. Looked at the Citeh forum and most are a graceless bunch of ****ers, banging on about "anti football" and time wasting. Or good defensive display away to league leaders as i prefer to call it. Used to think Citeh were alright, now they can **** off.

Pretty sure you'll find graceless fans on any forum. Especially this one. Mind you if they honestly expect teams to attack them every week they are kidding themselves. There's probably to or three sides on the planet that could realistically go toe to toe with City.

Any team that gets anything off them at all - regardless of how - deserves it.

Very proud of the team, against the best team in Europe and we held our own and had some good chances to score. Felt like watching the Saints of a couple of seasons ago.

Only negative as many have said was Redmond looking uninterested. Where most players would be galvanised by a few games on the bench and want to prove to their manager that they deserve a spot, Nathan seems the opposite. Also I feel like we're maybe giving Forster too much credit - made some decent stops but palmed way too many back into the danger area when he could have caught or put out for a corner. Still, pleasantly surprised that he didn't let any bad goals in.

Apart from that, the rest of the team was excellent; Long put in a great shift and should have stayed on, the midfield was calm and composed, didn't lose the ball much and was still looking to pass forward like we saw against Everton. Not sure what's happened with Bertrand, looks like he's had a massive change of attitude in the last couple of games - maybe Rose being back for Spurs has made him want to try harder?

Cedric was outstanding though, I thought our best player. A great outlet going forward and handled Jesus/Sterling very well defensively which I was surprised by. I'd rather have him than Walker.

Good effort, let's smash Bournemouth.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Haha seems Pep rather rates Redmond ?

Whatever Redmond had done during the game had clearly irked Guardiola, but the player himself seemed to remain calm throughout the altercation.

It seems, though, that rather than angry verbals, Guardiola had simply been voicing his frustration on behalf of the player.*"(I told him) how good a player he is," Guardiola said.

"Last season he destroyed us here. I didn't know him last season, I realised how good he is.

"Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one against one.

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=609E5509F29A447B9E5E1FF27EA16C9D&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2ffootball%2f2017%2f11%2f30%2fpep-guardiola-said-tirade-nathan-redmond-man-citys-dramatic%2f&c=3996046199213588134&mkt=en-gb

The problem with City fans, is that their lack of intelligence is shining through. You do not go head to head in the same manner as a stronger opponent. They can whinge as much as they like that we didn't allow them to play their normal free flowing game but that would just show their ignorance and detachment from reality. I am sure that if we had had a net spend of £600m over the past 5 years like City, we could have been less defensive.

I don't know what they expect when their team is battering side by 5 or 6 goals no one is going to try and go toe to toe with them. If they want teams to play against them they should sell most of their players and buy some more average ones.

Looks like Pep suddenly realised he could be in a bit of trouble there (well he would if he managed anyone outside the top 6). Bit unprofessional and ungracious in the circumstances losing it at an oppo player the way he did, and not far off an assault when he swung his arm around Redmond's neck. At least our player had the good sense to put his hand over his mouth as he called him a c*nt.

Looks like Pep suddenly realised he could be in a bit of trouble there (well he would if he managed anyone outside the top 6). Bit unprofessional and ungracious in the circumstances losing it at an oppo player the way he did, and not far off an assault when he swung his arm around Redmond's neck. At least our player had the good sense to put his hand over his mouth as he called him a c*nt.

Apparently he was telling Redmond how good a player he is and how disappointed he was with the way he played...

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=609E5509F29A447B9E5E1FF27EA16C9D&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2ffootball%2f2017%2f11%2f30%2fpep-guardiola-said-tirade-nathan-redmond-man-citys-dramatic%2f&c=3996046199213588134&mkt=en-gb

Sounded like a good performance which is great but why the hell does this manager persist with a forward that doesn't score? Long should be nowhere on the team sheet, Gabbi or Charlie or both are the options - they can score.

It's going to be interesting to see how MP goes from here, clamming up at Citeh is understandable - doing it at Bournemouth is not. Attacking football this weekend please and no Shane Long up front.

Sun Tzu knew what was up

"Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength;*attacking, a superabundance of strength."

Haha seems Pep rather rates Redmond 

Whatever Redmond had done during the game had clearly irked Guardiola, but the player himself seemed to remain calm throughout the altercation.

It seems, though, that rather than angry verbals, Guardiola had simply been voicing his frustration on behalf of the player.*"(I told him) how good a player he is," Guardiola said.

"Last season he destroyed us here. I didn't know him last season, I realised how good he is.

"Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one against one.

I wanted them to play so we could **** them 5-0 with all the space.

Knob jockey.

Of course that's what he was doing :rolleyes:

He's up there with Klopp for me with his antics on the touchline, should wind his neck in and focus on managing his own team.

I think that you're right. When Cedric went off, we were forced into a back four instead of the back five that we had when defending. He had been very good up until then, and probably would have had the midget Sterling in his pocket. Austin on for Redmond would have left Long on the pitch and I have absolutely no doubt that he would have carried more of a threat. Tactically Pellegrino has to be applauded apart from that.

Now let's see the 3-5-2 a bit more, especially against the big teams.

Agreed. I can't understand why we had no cb or rb cover on the bench which only offered defensive cover for Bertrand. It seems crazy to start with 3 cb's but have no alternative but to ditch the formation if one of the 3 cb's has a problem. Otherwise it was a cracking performance and we were set up very well. Hopefully the players will take confidence from that and kick on.

Agreed. I can't understand why we had no cb or rb cover on the bench which only offered defensive cover for Bertrand. It seems crazy to start with 3 cb's but have no alternative but to ditch the formation if one of the 3 cb's has a problem. Otherwise it was a cracking performance and we were set up very well. Hopefully the players will take confidence from that and kick on.

We sort of did! If Yoshida moved across to RWB, VVD,Hoedt, and Bertrand as CB's and McQueen as LWB, we could of maintained our formation. That is what I would of done.

Sounded like a good performance which is great but why the hell does this manager persist with a forward that doesn't score? Long should be nowhere on the team sheet, Gabbi or Charlie or both are the options - they can score.

It's going to be interesting to see how MP goes from here, clamming up at Citeh is understandable - doing it at Bournemouth is not. Attacking football this weekend please and no Shane Long up front.

Austin wouldn't have worked last night in the way we set up he just doesn't have the pace or energy. Austin is the option at home when we control the games more and have more of the ball. Personally I'd have gone with Gabbi over Long but I can see why he went with Shane.

Frustrating last minute but a very impressive display otherwise.

Not sure about decision to take off Long. Austin was a bit pointless in this sort of game where we were living on scraps and trying to break quickly.

Hope they can carry on this form into Bournemouth game.

Hope Cedric isn't out long.

I completely agree about taking off Long, it's the only incorrect call Pellegrino has made over the past two games IMO. I understood why he did it, to appease a striker who scored two last match, as well as potentially offer fresh legs and maybe go on to win the game; but Long was playing brilliantly and his pace was our major threat to City's defence and kept them in check. Once he was gone they were much more free to move up to halfway without fear of consequence and play from there, knowing full well they wouldn't get caught out with a ball over the top, as nobody on our side was quick enough to chase effectively.

Great performance and good to see the manager being prepared to change tactics. Although still think Redmond was largely a waste of space. He should have come off rather than Long. We had no outlet threat at the end.

Missed the end as had to catch the last train. Which was cancelled, so my delight was completed by arriving home at 2:45, three hours late.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tactically spot on. Fair play to the 3 centre halves, it’s not easy to play like that with limited preparation. Undone by individual errors, 2 poor misses , giving away a soft free kick and gave Sterling too much space at the death. Said to the bloke next to me as the clock ticked down past 94, “they’ll get one more chance, it’s whether they take it”. Unfortunately they did. Our time wasting wasn’t subtle enough, no complaints from me about 5 added mins.

Touch of class from Boufal.

Finally, anyone who wonders why Long instead of Austin or Gabbi is clueless. The ONLY man for that job in our squad was Long. He performed a thankless task, harried, battled, did exactly what was required for the role in our set up. Gabbi & Austin couldn’t have done it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure what's happened with Bertrand, looks like he's had a massive change of attitude in the last couple of games - maybe Rose being back for Spurs has made him want to try harder?

Yeh, plus Young firing at left back as well. His versatility might mean it's Rose or Bertrand for world cup squad

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/southampton-praise-sofiane-boufal-after-assist-in-man-city-defeat

We don't half have some idiots as fans. Here is an embarrassing opinion from somebody called Max Harries who believes that Boufal is twice or three times as good as Le Tiss was. :lol:

Judging from the photo of him, it looks as if the ink hasn't dried on his birth certificate yet. He can't be old enough to have actually seen much of Le Tiss playing, let alone that Boufal has only played a handful of matches for us.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/southampton-praise-sofiane-boufal-after-assist-in-man-city-defeat

We don't half have some idiots as fans. Here is an embarrassing opinion from somebody called Max Harries who believes that Boufal is twice or three times as good as Le Tiss was. [emoji38]

Judging from the photo of him, it looks as if the ink hasn't dried on his birth certificate yet. He can't be old enough to have actually seen much of Le Tiss playing, let alone that Boufal has only played a handful of matches for us.

Is he linked to the bloke who wrote to Mr Goa?

My toes have just about thawed out after last night.

I've been a huge critic of MP but last night he got it spot on bar 1 thing, swapping Long for Austin instead of Gabbi as the latter could have still chased and harried.

Annoying at the end but it was always going to happen and that's why they'll win the league.

Watching Austin try to defend/close down (or lack thereof) is a little funny :D Not last night, mind, last night it was mildly infuriating.

How did PEH do? Was he playing a more advanced role, or was he back with Romeu?

worked hard. Barring Long, everyone was behind the ball working hard to regain possession and getting goalside. PEH did his bit. He looked more mobile than JWP and actually out opponenets under pressure. Looking forward to seeing him play again, perhaps with a little more space than City offered.

We've said the exact same about teams coming to St Mary's, in fairness. I can imagine their fans aren't too happy at their ground turning into a bus depot for the season.

We've said the exact same about teams coming to St Mary's, in fairness. I can imagine their fans aren't too happy at their ground turning into a bus depot for the season.

West Brom and Burnley two recent examples. I don't think it's the place of supporters to complain about other team's tactics unless they are dirty or blatant cheating. I think for things like time wasting it's up to the referee to put a stop to it. It's up to your team to break them down.

That being said, if I were a fan of West Brom, I'd be questioning the tactics of my own team. It is quite a difference going to the Etihad, Anfield, Old Trafford and going all-out defence than it is to go to St Mary's, the Britannia or Vicarage Road.

Whereas some seem content to have players playing **** week in week out and ‘support’ them whatever.

Redmond has been cr ap this season and if you want to make him a victim of scapegoating go ahead.

Life of a footballer is generally you play crap fans get at you, you play well you get praise.

You also get handsomely paid and generally fck off at the first opportunity to get more money so easy to see why we become less sympathetic.

Redmond might still become a decent consistent player and looked promising last season but he has dropped off dramatically this year - that is on him.

There is a difference between the justified criticism of a player who has been under-perfoming and scapegoating. What I mean by scapegoating is an unreasonable level of vitriol and abuse that starts with a few people and then builds to a kind of piling-on. It has a bullying element—fans venting their growing frustration with the team in general by focusing blame and anger on one or two specific players. You can recognize it when there is a shift from criticizing the player's performances to making assumptions about their general attitude and personal behaviour (recent comments about Bertrand's unacceptable "attitude" are a good example of that).

There is a difference between the justified criticism of a player who has been under-perfoming and scapegoating. What I mean by scapegoating is an unreasonable level of vitriol and abuse that starts with a few people and then builds to a kind of piling-on. It has a bullying element—fans venting their growing frustration with the team in general by focusing blame and anger on one or two specific players. You can recognize it when there is a shift from criticizing the player's performances to making assumptions about their general attitude and personal behaviour (recent comments about Bertrand's unacceptable "attitude" are a good example of that).
Spot on. Good post.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We don't half have some idiots as fans. Here is an embarrassing opinion from somebody called Max Harries who believes that Boufal is twice or three times as good as Le Tiss was. :lol:

The words on the box he is holding in his photo sums him up correctly! As for his opinion,

At least the last two games have started to dispel the myth that our players are really poor and the squad is so weak.

I am not sure about MP still, we have had some real poor performances, however on the positive side he has tried to change things when it's not working.

Although it was probably right to change the side for Man City away I do hope he now is starting to see his best 11 and we get a bit of a run with a reasonably settled side.

At least the last two games have started to dispel the myth that our players are really poor and the squad is so weak.

I am not sure about MP still, we have had some real poor performances, however on the positive side he has tried to change things when it's not working.

Although it was probably right to change the side for Man City away I do hope he now is starting to see his best 11 and we get a bit of a run with a reasonably settled side.

How so? Everton where awful not even Sunday league standard against us that says more about the state of their team than ours. It's not like we went toe to toe with city either we sat deep and in shape (sensible tactic considering the disparity in squad quality) it certainly didn't show us to be a good team just a solid one. On squad depth the injury to Cedric is problem due to lack of quality cover behind him (same at LB) and the GK issue is partly down to a lack of options for Forster.