Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

TBF i think he was missing that 2nd man, Kitzbitchelr has come in and provided that opposition analysis which has allowed Ralph to concentrate on us.

I am aware of the fact that Austrian names are hard to pronounce, but it seems like their(our) names are even hard to write 😜 his name is Richard Kitzbichler. Btw: a few weeks ago i congratulated Richie (Kitzbichler)  on instagram for a strong season performance 2019/20 and he replied in a really nice  and friendly way (wrote in german, of course).

• Like 1

I hope we've learnt from the mistake we made with Koeman. If Ralph starts getting interest from top clubs but is willing to stay with a large pay increase, give him the god damn money. We paid more out to Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes than we would have done just giving Koeman the contract he was asking for. 

Similar to now - we might be able to find a cheaper manager if we let Ralph go, but then we could end up with another 3-4 years of regression. 

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I hope we've learnt from the mistake we made with Koeman. If Ralph starts getting interest from top clubs but is willing to stay with a large pay increase, give him the god damn money. We paid more out to Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes than we would have done just giving Koeman the contract he was asking for. 

Similar to now - we might be able to find a cheaper manager if we let Ralph go, but then we could end up with another 3-4 years of regression. 

We’ve seen what damage having the wrong manager does. You’d like to think we’d do all we can to keep him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If the Telegraph are to believed that isnt true, as they stated Koeman was offered a huge wage to stay at Saints that would put him among the top earning managers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/28/southampton-open-dialogue-to-extend-manager-ronald-koemans-contr/

Everton just offered more, along with a huge transfer kitty.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'm not concerend for one moment that we will lose Ralph any time soon. For one we have him on a long term contract but more importantly what he is achieving with Saints takes time. Its taken him a good year to 18 months to get this group of players functioning in the way we are. Learning the system does not neccessarily speed up with better players but the results/output would. Most top clubs will not give virtually anyone a year to 18 months to "get things going" as would be the case. For this reason I think we will see Ralph here for at least this and next year and potentially longer. The man is a coach primarily, and although I'm certain he would like to win, he strikes me as someone who is far more driven by the success of improving individuals and the collective to achieve unexpected acomplishes. Getting Utd or the like to win the league is not something unexpected, indeed the reverse, it is expected. The fact he produced a blueprint for success for the whole club during lockdown suggests to me that he sees this place as a longer term project. There are not that many more options that could provide him with what he had at RB Liezig and now here. All too many times in football people are judged upon the narrow viewpoint that success equals being at a select small group of club and therefore you must move there if a player or a manager/coach. Coaching success does not exclusively mean trophies and medals, it is far more than that. I reckon he might just become the modern day Lawrie in terms of longevity and relative achievement.  

• Like 5

I think the success of Ralph's system, a bit like what Poch put in place, is the players buying into the system and being very fit for the training and high press in matches. The player needs to have a suitable mental approach and appreciate the need to work hard when working off the ball to regain possession. 

I do not think that suits a top 6 team with prima donnas in the eleven that know better and a scouting system that has a limitless budget. Many very good coaches have found this to their cost , like Koeman (Everton), LVG or Moyes Manchester United), all having to buy big names to immediately give a response on the field, with little patience provided for building a squad of players suitable for the system.

Edited by Kingsland Red
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kingsland Red said:

I think the success of Ralph's system, a bit like what Poch put in place, is the players buying into the system and being very fit for the training and high press in matches. The player needs to have a suitable mental approach and appreciate the need to work hard when working off the ball to regain possession. 

I do not think that suits a top 6 team with prima donnas in the eleven that know better and a scouting system that has a limitless budget. Many very good coaches have found this to their cost , like Koeman (Everton), LVG or Moyes Manchester United), all having to buy big names to immediately give a response on the field, with little patience provided for building a squad of players suitable for the system.

Sir Alex had a system at Man U (no, not Fergie time), it was play like you're 1-0 down when you're 1 up a.k.a. attack is the best form of defence. How many teams sit back and defend the rest of the 90 minutes when Fergie's policy was to go on a rampage and hopefully score a second goal soon after scoring the first to leave the opposition shell-shocked.

On 08/11/2020 at 08:00, Matthew Le God said:

Kitzbichler joined Saints on 23rd August 2019. Ralph was without a Rohl replacement for only 2 league games.

Rohl did not come back after the end of the season (2019), was not involved in pre-season, true there may have only been 2 league games missed, but that is hardly the point. Rohl signed for Bayern on 6th August but that was weeks after his no-show for pre-season.

9 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Sir Alex had a system at Man U (no, not Fergie time), it was play like you're 1-0 down when you're 1 up a.k.a. attack is the best form of defence. How many teams sit back and defend the rest of the 90 minutes when Fergie's policy was to go on a rampage and hopefully score a second goal soon after scoring the first to leave the opposition shell-shocked.

That's pretty much how Ralph had Leipzig playing when they ran Munich close to winning the league - mate of mine bets on all sorts of football made heaps on Leipzig when Ralph was there - but having nearly made it himself as a pro footballer he watches football through different eyes to many of us. His biggest observation was that when Leipzig got in front whereas other teams might protect that lead by tightening up defensively, he was driving them on to keep on scoring, and not let the other team get much of a chance to find a way back into the game.

23 hours ago, Turkish said:

We’ve seen what damage having the wrong manager does. You’d like to think we’d do all we can to keep him.

exactly. buying a £19 million striker that we cant sell as he is fucking garbage and them paying him 50k a week for 4 years.

we may as well give RH a contract worth £25million over the next 5 years 

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

exactly. buying a £19 million striker that we cant sell as he is fucking garbage and them paying him 50k a week for 4 years.

we may as well give RH a contract worth £25million over the next 5 years 

Just the wages and compensation paid to Hughes, Puel and Pellegrino would cover a decent 3/4 year deal for Ralph on top money.*

*yes i know he's recently just signed a new deal.

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

47 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Ely was brought because he showed he had promise, he came during a terrible period of football, and didn't light up our disjointed team. So our incredible astute fans shat on him every chance they could, along with jwp, romeo, ings, readers, and later on Che , dejenepo, etc.....I have watched time and time again, big nob saints fans thinking they know better and that so many of our player were crap! And laughably they are usually wrong!! Again a player if our is doing much better, enjoying football and yet he isn't good enough for us? You are not good enough to judge! Or do you like looking like the ass after the players prove you wrong. Please give ely some slack, let's hope he can do it in the PL instead of condemning him. How is constantly putting down your own players conducive to a positive confident player. Can you see how quick  judgment can make matters worse, our HOME form showed that us moaning and bitching just upset our players, we are gone from  the stands, and now they can shine without our petulant insults and condemnation. Silence is golden.......and give the players a lot less stress!

A delicious irony that you missed the target thread with this post

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Very good read and thanks for posting. Highlights factors that have been clear in recent matches.

Playing out from the back with accurate distribution, especially vestergaard, with short straight passes through the middle. It’s risky. Stephens tried a couple and lost possession but the two centre backs are doing it well. 

Also variation in tempo. I’d add how much Walcott has helped with varying the tempo higher up the pitch. Playing on the half turn and accelerating between the lines and into the so called red zone.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Good read that is - thanks for posting.

Highlights just how much we have developed in the time since Puel.

Puel.....MoPe....Hughes....and now the playing style we are enjoying. Quite a turnaround.

Edited by Suhari

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Really good read, excellent way of putting how we are playing into words.

Vestergaard's passing has been impressive, that's what impressed me on Friday - those one touch passes through the lines. 

It must make a difference for the players to hear Ralph though - I can even hear him on the TV, it'll be weird when we can't again! You can hear him encourage the players when they do something good, you can hear him pushing the tempo. I think the players respond to it, they like the guidance, and he kind of gives them a step by step guide through the entire game which must make it so much easier. This whole 'behind closed door's period has given Ralph an amazing opportunity to really guide these guys and tactically educate them on levels they've probably not had before.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It is I love the fact that we have become a horrible team to Play against. The article is right we were a bunch of soft touches, glad to see that Ralph has added that element to us too. 

Great article. Also reminded me how much I love it when JWP winds up Zaha. 

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It must make a difference for the players to hear Ralph though - I can even hear him on the TV, it'll be weird when we can't again!

Is there anything in the rules/laws of the game that prohibit the use of a megaphone...? (Semi-serious question!)

12 hours ago, trousers said:

Is there anything in the rules/laws of the game that prohibit the use of a megaphone...? (Semi-serious question!)

Or just give a coded message over the PA which is the signal for the whole stadium to shut the F up! Although allegedly us in the Chapel are well versed in being quiet already.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I was thinking flags

I was thinking more Julius Caesar than Wuthering Heights. The semaphore flags might get confused with the Linos, though they don't use their flags much these days. The Aldis Lamp has the added advantage of dazzling the opponents.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsZEeBqZsmQM&psig=AOvVaw2Jt93kSY_Lw3Pv-2mJiT9f&ust=1605130160799000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKCVm_r1-OwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

16 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I was thinking more Julius Caesar than Wuthering Heights. The semaphore flags might get confused with the Linos, though they don't use their flags much these days. The Aldis Lamp has the added advantage of dazzling the opponents.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsZEeBqZsmQM&psig=AOvVaw2Jt93kSY_Lw3Pv-2mJiT9f&ust=1605130160799000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKCVm_r1-OwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

I like your style!! Aldis lamp it is.

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Agreed. Please let us beat Man U. My son-in-law will be a nightmare if they beat us. 

If he's from there then fine, if not - tell him to get bent. I'll never take stick from someone who doesn't originate from at least within 20 miles or so of the team they support, especially if it's one of that lot. I dont care how many great grandparents grew up there etc etc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Someone on reddit has translated the whole of that interview posted above. It features more interesting information, such as Ings walking around the canteen at Staplewood telling people he'll be back in 4 weeks.

Fans of the 9-0 klaxon don't have to wait too long for their fix.

• Like 13

Very good interview, thank you for sharing. Admits his mistake with the high line at the beginning of the season, another sign that he's the real deal as a lot of managers would have tried to be stubborn with the tactic, rather than dropping it immediately. A few digs at Hojbjerg and confirmation that we are trying to extend Ings' contract, as that has gone quiet for a while, alongside Bertrand. Also confirms at the end that he is happy here, due to the amount of power he has here, which he is not likely to get at a bigger club than us. His working relationship with Semmens is also strong, so hopefully a core remains at the top when the eventual takeover does happen. Like Poch and Cortese.

One final thing, do Sunderland get pelted with losing 8-0 to us in 2014 in every sentence they are mentioned in? 

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting the interview. There's a lot of positive stuff in there. Obviously values the trust he has with Semmens and the club. Positive news about Danny Ings too. Realistic view on Saints chances of a top ten finish, but there is also a suggestion between the lines that we can better that.  Interesting comments about PEH too. His Missus is happy too "in the South of England" which sounds like they are well settled. (Wasn't Puel's wife unhappy in England?......no excuse for the boring football though, I know) Our Ralph is no mug. He knows what he's doing!

92 clubs in the English Football League and I reckon between 85 and 87 of them wish they had our manager!

Edited by Saint Keef
addition

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

One final thing, do Sunderland get pelted with losing 8-0 to us in 2014 in every sentence they are mentioned in? 

Although it’s annoying, the reason it’s mentioned is because the club stuck with Ralph and we are now doing great, it is a good and unusual story.

Sunderland just continued to sink like a stone so it was nowhere near as interesting.

• Like 2

The development of a philosophy for the whole club is a really important step. I think, I know, where Ralph got this idea from. It was Ralf Rangnick, who implemented this system in the Red Bull world. Starting with the youth teams, FC Liefering, FC Salzburg. Salzburg won the youth champions league playing the unique football of Ralf Rangnick.

I think, Hasenhüttl is inspired a lot of this Rangnick Pressing-Football, but he tries to improve it in many ways. And he is open minded and not stubborn, he make a step back, if he see, that he had made a step to much forward. Southhampton is a lot more than a one trick pony in the meantime. And this make it difficult to calculate.

• Like 1

How I laugh now, when I look at the first 2 pages Of this thread where all the regular posters were calling for him to be sacked after the Leicester game and how I along with 2-3 others posters were saying that you need to judge the manager over the whole Season and not based on form over the last 6 games.

Same people now calling him one of our greatest managers, that he is a genious. Laughable 😂😂😂

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl