Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

On 07/01/2021 at 10:09, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

It comes to something when having different views means you’re just on a wind up & not a fan. I found his whole reaction OTT, particularly as someone posted a picture on his knees with the words “legend”. Firstly he’s not a legend in any sense in my eyes (only Lawrie & Ted hold that managerial honour) & secondly, I’d want a manager to win a game a bit more important than that to start blabbing. But, here’s the thing, it’s just an opinion. It doesn’t make me less or more of a fan, than anyone else.

I agree - not with your views on Ralph crying (you really are rooted in the past 😁) but with your rights to a different view.

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ironically enough one of the places I can see him going is Leicester, if the rumours of Rodgers to Chelsea have anything about them. 

Why would he make a sideways move? 😂

Anyway... one potential problem for Ralph at another club would be patience... it took us a whole calendar year under him to start playing well and our new signings usually take a long time to adapt. Ralph may well be aware of this.

3 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Why would he make a sideways move? 😂

Anyway... one potential problem for Ralph at another club would be patience... it took us a whole calendar year under him to start playing well and our new signings usually take a long time to adapt. Ralph may well be aware of this.

Leicester are the next step up, not sure that is up for debate.  Recent champions, seems to be up there pushing for CL on a regular basis and happy to spend £30m+ on players.

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leicester are the next step up, not sure that is up for debate.  Recent champions, seems to be up there pushing for CL on a regular basis and happy to spend £30m+ on players.

Because they have been better run and made better use of their resources than we have. It does not mean that they have more resources, unlike Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Being able to spend £30m+ is what happens when you get a year of Champions League money and sell a few players for £50m+ instead of not making a big sale in three years and wasting money on players you can't give away.

They aren't doing anything we aren't capable of, they don't have any structural advantages over us, if we are run well we will regularly be where they are, if they start being run like we were up until two years ago, they will be fighting relegation just like we were.

31 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Because they have been better run and made better use of their resources than we have. It does not mean that they have more resources, unlike Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Being able to spend £30m+ is what happens when you get a year of Champions League money and sell a few players for £50m+ instead of not making a big sale in three years and wasting money on players you can't give away.

They aren't doing anything we aren't capable of, they don't have any structural advantages over us, if we are run well we will regularly be where they are, if they start being run like we were up until two years ago, they will be fighting relegation just like we were.

All fair points. However, when we ran into what was like CL money (Virgil sale), we still sat within the transfer bracket of average players.

Granted, Guido was a record signing, but that was relative to our own low costed signings.  Spending £20m on a striker was nothing to shout about in this league, at that time.

Either way, I would be amazed if Ralph hot-footed to Leicester.  Man United is the club with his name on it. Massive club who gives a manager time.

23 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I am hoping that we can keep him for a while. He seems to like a project....building something from the bottom up. I don't think that he will quickly forget how the club stood by him and still believed in him after the Leicester debacle. I am not sure that life at a "Top 6" club with the need for instant success would be Ralph's ideal situation.

I hope he stays a while too, but Pochetino has shown you don't have to win anything to get a top job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hassennhuttl is all wrong for them. Surely top contenders have to be....

Chris Houghton 

Paul Ince

Darren Moore

Nuno Espirito Santo

Ledley King

Sol Campbell 

and if they want a guy called Hassel then Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank is ex chelsea and great pedigree as a manager in this country

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

I really believe Ralph knows the Saints board have a long term plan and showed their faith in him last season by giving him a new contract when a lot of Premiership boards would have panicked and sacked him.

He knows being Chelsea or any of the top 6 managers means no time will be given and instant success is a must!

I honestly cannot see him going....yet!

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

A good coach/manager but one who seemingly has a track record of falling out with every club he's been at.

Tuchel been manager of Dortmund and PSG, soo to be Chelsea and to think Les once thought he was going to come to Saints. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Watch the press now start  crying about more time and hitting out at the short termism of Chelsea. 

Tbh, it’s probably one of the main factors Ralph wouldn’t take that job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Watch the press now start  crying about more time and hitting out at the short termism of Chelsea. 

Chelsea have got a history of having no patience though. They didn't stick with Salah, De Bryune, Lukaku - all 3 turned into world beaters.

They brought in a policy of developing young players, so they sucked up every young player they could find and sent them all out on loan for 5 years if they hadn't become a world beater by day 30. Lampard was the manager to help develop that join between young and first team, but they only gave him 18 months.

The only time they have ever had stability and what looked like a recruitment plan was when the Roman era started, back in 2004. Since then it's been a bit chaotic in the main.

47 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

One of the factors that Ralph would consider briefly before accepting the job.

True... "one of the main factors Chelsea wouldn't offer Ralph the job" would have been more accurate. The game that must not be mentioned was almost a whole year after Ralph joined and our new signings take a long time to establish themselves... would be a poor fit.

Chelsea have got a history of having no patience though. They didn't stick with Salah, De Bryune, Lukaku - all 3 turned into world beaters.

They brought in a policy of developing young players, so they sucked up every young player they could find and sent them all out on loan for 5 years if they hadn't become a world beater by day 30. Lampard was the manager to help develop that join between young and first team, but they only gave him 18 months.

The only time they have ever had stability and what looked like a recruitment plan was when the Roman era started, back in 2004. Since then it's been a bit chaotic in the main.

They have been the most successful English club since Abramovich bought them, so something about the way they do things works. Bayern and Real Madrid are hardly shy when it comes to firing managers either. When you are someone who never really deserved the job in the first place, you can't complain about "not being given time". And 18 months is more than enough.

Chelsea were good when they spent lots of money. Then Abramovic decided he wanted the club to be self sustaining and concocted this idea about developing youth instead. Regardless of the mistakes they made with certain players, it was never going to work for a team with aspirations of winning titles

59 minutes ago, Cartman said:

They have been the most successful English club since Abramovich bought them, so something about the way they do things works. 

This is what the media forget when they rush to condemn Chelsea in the wake of another sacking. Contrast their approach with Arsenal’s who stood  by Wenger. 

As you wrote, the bloke didn’t deserve the job in the first place. He only got it off the back of who he was, rather than what he’d done. He got given a chance not many young managers get, and he blew it. Whether it was because he got it too early, or whether he’s not good enough, only time will tell. Personally, I suspect he’ll settle for the cushy TV studio, discussing where other managers are going wrong. It’s going to be hard to motivate yourself when your ultimate managerial goal has come and gone so early. 

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This is what the media forget when they rush to condemn Chelsea in the wake of another sacking. Contrast their approach with Arsenal’s who stood  by Wenger. 

As you wrote, the bloke didn’t deserve the job in the first place. He only got it off the back of who he was, rather than what he’d done. He got given a chance not many young managers get, and he blew it. Whether it was because he got it too early, or whether he’s not good enough, only time will tell. Personally, I suspect he’ll settle for the cushy TV studio, discussing where other managers are going wrong. It’s going to be hard to motivate yourself when your ultimate managerial goal has come and gone so early. 

There's a difference, Arsenal's approach wasn't to maximise their chance to win things. The board were content in staying in the top 4 and Wenger gave them CL every season.

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine question , not saying he's been awful for us but how many top flight managers have two 9 nil defeats on their record !? He's been seriously let down by the higher management at Saints and if I was him I'd walk it's embarrassing. 

Nope. I don't think he will, I don't think the club will even consider it either.

But I imagine he's very frustrated. He got our squad to their absolute limits, there was no where else for them to go, and he hasn't ever been backed. 

Look at the state of our bench, look at the state of our full back options. There's no way he is happy with that, no way at all. How have the club not allowed him some flexibility to baulk it out a bit.

Obviously not. However I think he's got something to answer for. There have been some quite negative comments coming from his direction on the last week. Born from frustration obvioisly, but players do pick up on that and will start to believe they are not good enough and beaten before the first whistle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Na.  Does need to take a lot of blame today though.

Blame for what?

He's got a bench full of kids, and a starting kid who goes and gets himself sent off after 60 seconds. 

Our squad is a mess at the moment, he knows it, we know it, the club knows it. This isn't on him.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nope. I don't think he will, I don't think the club will even consider it either.

But I imagine he's very frustrated. He got our squad to their absolute limits, there was no where else for them to go, and he hasn't ever been backed. 

Look at the state of our bench, look at the state of our full back options. There's no way he is happy with that, no way at all. How have the club not allowed him some flexibility to baulk it out a bit.

Ralph presumably is the one who sanctioned Vokins and Valery going out on loan. They aren’t brilliant by any stretch but they have both got Premier League experience. They are two extra choices. If that red card for Jan isn’t over turned and KWP is still out what’s the defence Saturday? A shell shocked kid at right back and Stephens back to his worst. 

We have played Russian roulette with tonight’s match and probably Saturdays as well. It’s failed, we’ve shot ourselves in the foot again. I’m not saying it’s Ralph’s fault of course, but someone needs to answer a question or two.

Edited by beatlesaint

Walk away? Giving up 3 years worth of a payoff in the process? No manager would ever do that.

Not entirely to blame tonight, VAR and the ref fucked us mostly, but I do think Ralph shares some of it. Other sides would have parked the bus in our situation, madness to try and carry on playing the ‘Saints’ way given the circumstances 

Edited by bpsaint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl