January 2021 transfer window

mcbendy

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Here's the real worry...was Ings not celebrating because he used to play for them or because he knows he'll be playing for them again soon.

He was probably thinking "shit, far too early, we've now got to hang on for 88 minutes!"

• Haha 1

Nathan Redmond Instagram post mysteriously talks about ‘signing announcement’ and him saying yes sir about Jordon Mutch, with a pic or two of him. Incoming?

Jordon James Edward Sydney Mutch is an English professional footballer who last played for Eliteserien club Aalesund. Mutch joined Birmingham City in 2007 from Derby County's youth system. Wikipedia

Nathan Redmond Instagram post mysteriously talks about ‘signing announcement’ and him saying yes sir about Jordon Mutch, with a pic or two of him. Incoming?

Jordon James Edward Sydney Mutch is an English professional footballer who last played for Eliteserien club Aalesund. Mutch joined Birmingham City in 2007 from Derby County's youth system. Wikipedia

1 hour ago, DT said:

just joined Western Sydney Wanderers in the A league. Another target missed out on, we never learn. 

On 04/01/2021 at 22:07, Saint_clark said:

Here's the real worry...was Ings not celebrating because he used to play for them or because he knows he'll be playing for them again soon.

Agreed, even post match he had a look of guilt .. I saw a man with aspirations of going back knowing it was already in motion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nick75Sfc said:

Agreed, even post match he had a look of guilt .. I saw a man with aspirations of going back knowing it was already in motion.

Sadly, we have been denied a melancholic selfie taken gazing longingly out of a plane window. Another depressing side effect of this lockdown. 

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2021 at 22:06, Saint_clark said:

Hope not.

Although if we get a decent fee for him that can be reinvested, wouldn't be the worst person to lose from the squad. Wouldn't sell for less than £15million and a big sell on fee though.

https://www.thefocus.news/football/report-southampton-have-offered-their-player-to-club-who-havent-won-in-30-league-games/

10 minutes ago, Monk said:

A number of links with Demarai Gray the last few days. Wonder if we're waiting for the end of summer or will attempt to bring him earlier. (Expecting the summer to replace Theo's loan.)

If I’m honest, I’m hoping it’s earlier. without Redmond and Djenepo we look really thin in that area (I’m not convinced fella is ready just yet). 

On 04/01/2021 at 18:44, DT said:

Ralph being considered for Chelsea if they sack Lampard, says Indy. Oh great. 

I don't know why that job would interest him, I think he will give us another season, then, if he stays in the UK it would be for Man U, MAn City, Arsenal maybe Spurs.

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Tella is being used as a striker, not a 'no 10'.

Cool, Good for him. Still not convinced he’s ready and Walcott can therefore play as a striker leaving a hole in ‘no 10’.

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I don't know why that job would interest him, I think he will give us another season, then, if he stays in the UK it would be for Man U, MAn City, Arsenal maybe Spurs.

I do. 

Bigger pay packet, bigger transfer budget, better players, better standard of football (Champions league), very good academy all round bigger club. 

the only thing that may put him off is would he be given the time needed to implement his tactics.

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

I do. 

Bigger pay packet, bigger transfer budget, better players, better standard of football (Champions league), very good academy all round bigger club. 

the only thing that may put him off is would he be given the time needed to implement his tactics.

I get all of those things but my point was more that it seems from the outside to be bit toxic.

On 04/01/2021 at 22:06, Saint_clark said:

Hope not.

Although if we get a decent fee for him that can be reinvested, wouldn't be the worst person to lose from the squad. Wouldn't sell for less than £15million and a big sell on fee though.

Schalke 04 wont buy him.......they are broke and even asked season ticket holders to try and not as for a refund on games they have missed.Also they now have the worst record in the Bundesliga.

Maybe Schalke are being set up as our European feeder team to park U18 youngsters because of Brexit 😄 (seriously though we probably do need one of those).

But really a loan to worse performing team in Europe doesn't sound a good move to help him progress, he needs game time but not in a free falling mess of a club, and there is no way they have the cash to sign him. 

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

Calum Chambers is apparently available from the Arse.  Anyone like to see him back? Would offer decent cover in a few positions so a yes from me if the moneys right

Still only 25 so, yep, worth a punt if not stupid money

I would be very surprised if we were thinking about bringing Chambers back.  Where are we thinking of playing him, and i seem to recall he left after being a bit of an arse.

I imagine he could be cover for RB and CB, but we are well covered for CB, and I’d imagine we want someone better for RB than him, I’d think Jack Stephens is similar standard at RB than him.

11 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Calum Chambers is apparently available from the Arse.  Anyone like to see him back? Would offer decent cover in a few positions so a yes from me if the moneys right

Why? He's too slow to be a full back (even before the serious knee injury he's had) and as a centre back would be our fifth choice.

Flogging him for £16m was some of the best business we've ever done. He's not even bang average.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2021 at 22:07, Saint_clark said:

I think he was just celebrating and exceptional goal. Who wouldn't?

14 hours ago, Barsiem said:

14 hours ago, trousers said:

Still only 25 so, yep, worth a punt if not stupid money

We don't need him to 'cover' centre back, we have 4 of them the club is happy with. He also isn't an attacking right back in the KWP mould, so isn't really good cover for him.

39 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We don't need him to 'cover' centre back, we have 4 of them the club is happy with. He also isn't an attacking right back in the KWP mould, so isn't really good cover for him.

Can also play rb and cm, hence the ‘cover’ a few positions comment.  I think he’d be a good squad player to have but realise many will disagree.  It’s all about opinions on a football forum believe it or not...

Chambers back wouldn't be a big gamble and would add to the good PR optics of people like Theo being drawn back to a good well run club run by a decent manager. Low-cost, low-risk, and decent cover, especially if Vestergard is sold (please no)

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Chambers back wouldn't be a big gamble and would add to the good PR optics of people like Theo being drawn back to a good well run club run by a decent manager. Low-cost, low-risk, and decent cover, especially if Vestergard is sold (please no)

I'm not convinced he would be a good fit for Ralph's system.

He's probably looking to get some regular first team football and he ain't gonna get it at Saints right now.

On 06/01/2021 at 10:11, Monk said:

A number of links with Demarai Gray the last few days. Wonder if we're waiting for the end of summer or will attempt to bring him earlier. (Expecting the summer to replace Theo's loan.)

That's good, I suggested signing him several years ago when he was a raw kid. Always seemed to have real potential that has so far gone unfulfilled.

As for those seeing a future here for Chambers, you need to get down to Specsavers! This is not a retirement home for ex-Saints wannaways. Ricky Lambert would be a safer bet.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Daily Heil have us linked with Balogun again and apparently Liverpool and Brighton also interested.  Never seen him play outside of some YouTube clips so hard to say whether he's going to be any good but seems highly rated.  Given that he's rejecting a contract from Arsenal on the basis that he wants game time then that would suggest Liverpool wouldn't be a likely destination.  It's the kind of signing that would make sense and might be worth a punt especially if he's able to play in any of the forward positions.

24 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That's good, I suggested signing him several years ago when he was a raw kid. Always seemed to have real potential that has so far gone unfulfilled.

As for those seeing a future here for Chambers, you need to get down to Specsavers! This is not a retirement home for ex-Saints wannaways. Ricky Lambert would be a safer bet.

I think Pelle is available...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Calum Chambers is 25 years old, hardly 'retirement home'! 🤔

His name on birth certificate is Rickie, not Ricky. 😉

16 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Daily Heil have us linked with Balogun again and apparently Liverpool and Brighton also interested.  Never seen him play outside of some YouTube clips so hard to say whether he's going to be any good but seems highly rated.  Given that he's rejecting a contract from Arsenal on the basis that he wants game time then that would suggest Liverpool wouldn't be a likely destination.  It's the kind of signing that would make sense and might be worth a punt especially if he's able to play in any of the forward positions.

Ornstein reporting he’s close to joining a foreign club on a pre-contract.

5 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Why? He's too slow to be a full back (even before the serious knee injury he's had) and as a centre back would be our fifth choice.

Flogging him for £16m was some of the best business we've ever done. He's not even bang average.

Completely agree - great fee at the time for a player we didn’t even really need bar a short term injury for Clyne which got him in the team in the first place. Most people probably don’t even remember he played for us, has done next to nothing for any club he’s played for since. Think his only decent period was playing holding midfield for Fulham after being poor for them at CB, they seemed to like him when he moved further forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Whenever I see a striker linked it makes me worried about Ings. Suppose it could be both, or replacement for the space Obafemi will ultimately free up...

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Whenever I see a striker linked it makes me worried about Ings. Suppose it could be both, or replacement for the space Obafemi will ultimately free up...

Our current striker beyond Ings and Adams are a 32 year old who is rapidly diminishing and has never been much of a goalscorer at his peak, a 31 year old loan, who whilst is doing well for us has never been a regular goalscorer, and an unproven 20 year old who needs game time and another 21 year old who's had a few sub appearances. 

Considering Adams and Ings have been injured this year, we really need someone who can replace them so I think it's less worrying about Ings leaving and more about having a viable option up front if either of the first choice two are injured. 

I mean you never know, if we keep our form up we could be in the Europa league next year (especially as with City and Spurs in the league cup final that place will likely go to 7th OR is the Europa league 2 going to be a thing?) so squad depth could be more important next year. 

Looking for another striker is shrewd just incase Ings doesn't sign, but we need more alternatives anyway even if he stays. 

7 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Our current striker beyond Ings and Adams are a 32 year old who is rapidly diminishing and has never been much of a goalscorer at his peak, a 31 year old loan, who whilst is doing well for us has never been a regular goalscorer, and an unproven 20 year old who needs game time and another 21 year old who's had a few sub appearances. 

Considering Adams and Ings have been injured this year, we really need someone who can replace them so I think it's less worrying about Ings leaving and more about having a viable option up front if either of the first choice two are injured. 

I mean you never know, if we keep our form up we could be in the Europa league next year (especially as with City and Spurs in the league cup final that place will likely go to 7th OR is the Europa league 2 going to be a thing?) so squad depth could be more important next year. 

Looking for another striker is shrewd just incase Ings doesn't sign, but we need more alternatives anyway even if he stays. 

Buying another first team striker would be a real power move and show intent.  However, we would have to move a couple of players on, either on loan or permanently I'd have thought.