Sport Republic

Dusic

19 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You’ve missed the point entirely; back then he was deemed way below par for our club, given Bournemouth’s form.

It’s laughable when people say we should’ve got him.
We may as well say we should’ve got Sir Alex all those years back, or Pep, or Klopp etc.

Hindsight means relatively fuck all and just kills the argument straight away 🤣

I don’t agree with your assessment of Eddie Howe, he would’ve certainly even with his current spell at newcastle taken away been a good appointment. 

Secondly, the point whether it’s Howe or not still stands. Semmens was one of the reasons we didn’t get rid of Ralph sooner. He was part of the problem, happy he’s gone. 

52 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Semmens doesn’t deserve half the stick he’s got.

SR froze him out and relegated us. Not Semmens.

He absolutely does deserve stick.

Stuck with Ralph waaaay too long, consistently telling fans how grateful we should be to even be in the premier league (we’ve only been there 24 out of 31 seasons), whilst lamenting how hard his job is giving up his weekends to follow the team, all whilst raking in a high 6 figure salary.

And whatever you think about him being sidelined by SR, HE PICKED THEM AS THE PREFERRED BUYER.

Oh, and he also pushed for Selles to get the job for the rest of the season.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Stuck with Ralph waaaay too long, consistently telling fans how grateful we should be to even be in the premier league (we’ve only been there 24 out of 31 seasons), whilst lamenting how hard his job is giving up his weekends to follow the team, all whilst raking in a high 6 figure salary.

And whatever you think about him being sidelined by SR, HE PICKED THEM AS THE PREFERRED BUYER.

Don't forget, Selles was already here (before SR) and already being groomed as Ralph's replacement.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Don't forget, Selles was already here (before SR) and already being groomed as Ralph's replacement.

Nah he wasn't. Selles only here since last summer, SR buyout was January '22. SR recruited him as they binned off Kelvin and the other divs on the coaching staff.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Nah he wasn't. Selles only here since last summer, SR buyout was January '22. SR recruited him as they binned off Kelvin and the other divs on the coaching staff.

Easy to think, the way he seamlessly carried on our dreadful form, that he'd been here for a lot longer. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You’ve missed the point entirely; back then he was deemed way below par for our club, given Bournemouth’s form.

It’s laughable when people say we should’ve got him.
We may as well say we should’ve got Sir Alex all those years back, or Pep, or Klopp etc.

Hindsight means relatively fuck all and just kills the argument straight away 🤣

That’s just nonsense, Howe had a great record before he went to Newcastle.

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

And apparently was the mastermind in not bringing in a goal scorer last summer.

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The same Eddie Howe that back then people were laughing about at Bournemouth.

Opinion on Eddie Howe have only changed this past year and having spent £150m.

Eddie Howe debate is fairly academic. Our squad has been appalling in recent years due to lack of investment - I don't think Howe or any manager would have done meaningfully better than Ralph did. End of the day our attack at the end of last season / before SR started buying players this summer was Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Ely, and injured Stu, a loaned out Tella, and walcott.

I also suspect SR would have gone out and signed players under basically the same strategy this past year regardless of who the manager was. If anything the fact that we spent £160M and Newcastle spent £150M - and they're 3rd and we're 20th should tell you all you need to know about the comparative levels of overall recruitment this past year.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

On 22/05/2023 at 23:27, Saint86 said:

Eddie Howe debate is fairly academic. Our squad has been appalling in recent years due to lack of investment - I don't think Howe or any manager would have done meaningfully better than Ralph did. End of the day our attack at the end of last season / before SR started buying players this summer was Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Ely, and injured Stu, a loaned out Tella, and walcott.

I also suspect SR would have gone out and signed players under basically the same strategy this past year regardless of who the manager was. If anything the fact that we spent £160M and Newcastle spent £150M - and they're 3rd and we're 20th should tell you all you need to know about the comparative levels of overall recruitment this past year.

I think it is much easier to recruit for Newcastle than it is for Southampton what do we really have to offer?

We are hardly a top team that is why SR decided to go for good younger players but they overdid iit and combined what players were hear when they came here it is hardly surprising we were relegated.

If we lose JWP KWP Lavia Alcaraz Livramento ABK we are not going to have a squad capable of staying in the PL in the forseable future

24 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

New share allocation issued in recent weeks to the holding company, it looks like £4 to £5 million cash injection.

Still no payment towards the american loan of £95m+ although that might be for accounting reasons.

...is it to continually dilute Katrina interest ? Clean sweep and all that ...

5 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

New share allocation issued in recent weeks to the holding company, it looks like £4 to £5 million cash injection.

Still no payment towards the american loan of £95m+ although that might be for accounting reasons.

Yeah it was in the Echo couple days ago

Compare this to Sport Republic’s messaging post relegation and this just fills you with much more confidence that they will put this right. Meanwhile we are going to change pretty much every element of our club and playing team. Will that change help or hinder our chances of an immediate return? I’d bet on Leicester to return over Saints at the moment, sadly.

I’m sure I’m also not the only one who is just a tad jealous of what they have achieved, being a similar size club to us, during their latest stint in the top division: PL, FA Cup, Euro semi final, even got those big screens in 😉

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Compare this to Sport Republic’s messaging post relegation and this just fills you with much more confidence that they will put this right. Meanwhile we are going to change pretty much every element of our club and playing team. Will that change help or hinder our chances of an immediate return? I’d bet on Leicester to return over Saints at the moment, sadly.

I’m sure I’m also not the only one who is just a tad jealous of what they have achieved, being a similar size club to us, during their latest stint in the top division: PL, FA Cup, Euro semi final, even got those big screens in 😉

Interesting you pick up on this, Leicester fans view of that statement is polar opposite. They're not happy with that statement at all, but then I do wonder what football fans would ever be happy with.

The abuse their owner has received, which he references in that statement, is nothing short of disgusting given what that family have given that club. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Funny how interpretations can be different. Two things I take from clicking on the link and reading it…….firstly their ST’s are frozen whereas ours were discounted. Secondly whilst some of the sound bites may be encouraging he alludes to next season being hard whereas I believe the general theme from the Fans Forum until now is that SR will back us financially to give us the best shot to get back to the PL. 

I am no fan of SR but I’m trying to be objective and I think we should maybe hold judgement until we see how things pan out. Obviously that won’t happen and wouldn’t be any fun!!

• Like 3

Sports Republic spent stupidly and their decisions subsequently relegated the club.

There’s no avoiding that fact.

They picked and changed bits last summer and it didn’t work and went for a policy of buy youth and sell experience. It didn’t work.

This season is make or break for them.

In some ways they do have to change everything but they have to do it in such an organised and efficient way and they have to get it right.

Otherwise it’ll be another poor season under their management.

Jurys out, but so far, it is far from impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting you pick up on this, Leicester fans view of that statement is polar opposite. They're not happy with that statement at all, but then I do wonder what football fans would ever be happy with.

The abuse their owner has received, which he references in that statement, is nothing short of disgusting given what that family have given that club. 

Agree on the abuse. Their fans have seen them win the PL and FA cup under those owners and the Chairman’s father died in their car park in the helicopter crash. Get the frustrations now but they’ve seen success that may not be ever seen again at a mid-sized club (winning the PL). 

In terms of it being more difficult next season, their wage bill is or was the 7th highest in the PL. SFC’s was 14th. So the level of restructuring in players and staff and extent will be huge. Potentially less raised via star player sales with two out of contract and another with only a year left. Still players other clubs will want but likes of Daka have only been so-so.

23 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Fantastic statement to be fair. Not sure what the Leicester fans are complaining about there aside from the season ticket price freeze

I do think if they had sacked Brendan sooner they would have survived. His tenure was completely toxic from before the World Cup. 

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Fantastic statement to be fair. Not sure what the Leicester fans are complaining about there aside from the season ticket price freeze

I do think if they had sacked Brendan sooner they would have survived. His tenure was completely toxic from before the World Cup. 

All I read was sentimental bluster.  I think they’re toast.  (That said, the abuse he’s received isn’t cool though)

Edited by Maggie May

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Funny how people read things

I read that as absolutely and completely none committed to anything, instead of outlying a plan he’s decided to waffle on about past glory in order to deflect from the revealing bit, that everyone knew, that they’re skint

Without investment they’ll need an immediate return imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

And maybe didnt appoint Dean Smith. Some bizarre selections including benching Maddison and Barnes in their penultimate game.

Another manager living off one successful job

3 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

If that was the tone of ours it would have been slated. You seen like you want to criticise saints for some strange reason. I read that after seeing your post and can't see what you are so impressed with, bet you would have moaned about living on past glory, not liking criticism, not sounding confident etc. 

Nothing great there, and nothing bad in ours, just what you would expect. 

• Like 1

"Now that Henrik and myself are moving closer to the action, we’ll pick the team, we want to run the club day-to-day to make sure we do everything to make this a success.”

Noticed a missing comma in the DE article from Rasmus' comments. I've corrected it here for everyone... 😉

• Haha 2

So, I've read the article. Not a lot in there beyond management speak other than I'm very concerned by the defence of Jones. To be honest the Jones defence makes me nervous about our new manager given how much I disagree with their opinion on him. Selles I can understand the logic of giving it to him given our situation at that point but I just can't understand why they would give Jones the job and not realise within five minutes that he was entirely wrong. Concerning. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

If that was the tone of ours it would have been slated. You seen like you want to criticise saints for some strange reason. I read that after seeing your post and can't see what you are so impressed with, bet you would have moaned about living on past glory, not liking criticism, not sounding confident etc. 

Nothing great there, and nothing bad in ours, just what you would expect. 

Yes i do want to criticise our owners as their reign so far has been nothing short of shambolic. The fact they are STILL defending the appointment of NJ tells me that they haven’t learned any lessons and their devstating smug arrogance will continue 

Leicesters owners have some credit in the bank for making the smart decisions that led them to winning the league. The only credit our owners have is signing the Welsh David Brent. 

You do have a point though, no PR statement can make up for relegation. It’s all a waste of time really. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 1

Good to hear them speak. All the article is pretty fair, and none of it a surprise. They’re basically taking responsibility for relegation as they should, and basically saying they now want to be closer to make sure the club succeeds. Think it reads pretty positively tbh, but they need to start getting big decisions right, starting with the manager, and the recruitment this summer. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Good to hear them speak. All the article is pretty fair, and none of it a surprise. They’re basically taking responsibility for relegation as they should, and basically saying they now want to be closer to make sure the club succeeds. Think it reads pretty positively tbh, but they need to start getting big decisions right, starting with the manager, and the recruitment this summer. 

You only had to speak to a Stoke fan for five minutes to understand the issue with Jones. You could then talk to him yourself and it was obvious. Much of what they say in that article is fair but that is a giant red flag. 

• Like 5

They will need the right manager and the recommendation of Jason Wilcox, the new director of football, recruited from Manchester City in January, will hold the most weight. The successor to Rubén Sellés will be in situ by the time the team return for pre-season training at the end of June.

End of June? How long is it taking to do new manager Social Media announcement videos these days?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You only had to speak to a Stoke fan for five minutes to understand the issue with Jones. You could then talk to him yourself and it was obvious. Much of what they say in that article is fair but that is a giant red flag. 

Agree. To be honest they probably needed to just say less about it. "We made a mistake and we're sorry it didn't work out" and stop talking.

They're still trying to make out that they were right, really, that there was method in the madness etc etc. Just shut up about Jones.

At best it's self justifying arrogance. At worst if shows a level of cluelessness that makes me very nervous about their future appointments. Have these guys got no judgement at all?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

Just now, CB Fry said:

Agree. To be honest they probably needed to just say less about it. "We made a mistake and we're sorry it didn't work out" and stop talking.

They're still trying to make out that they were right, really, that there was method in the madness etc etc. Just shut up about Jones.

Solak saying can make a sad film about Jones watching Luton be promoted was quite funny (in echo article) 

• Haha 2

Semmens would have said: "When you look at the infrastructure and facilities then you can see this club is fortunate to be in the Championship. Our goal is to become a pathway club for other clubs to feed off. We're doing it the right way. However, my family and I are most disturbed by knowing I have to spend 8 more matches away from them next season, even during the week, so please spare me a thought"

Would have been nice to have gotten a line on the new manager, or are they all just accepting that we know its Russell Martin?

• Haha 4