Bertrand Appreciation Thread

sydney_saint

In the spirit of the Oriol thread, I wanted to do a big shout out to a player who rarely gets one but should. Bertand in my opinion has been one of our most important signings in this premier league stint. For over six years he has produced consistently good performances and racked up over 200 appearances. Nearly always a solid 7/10 and sometimes higher. I can't really remember a time in those six years where he hasn't been the clear first choice position for left back. This has allowed us to focus on other positions as well as get stupid money for Targett to put into the rest of the team. He also seems like a really decent guy despite sometimes playing with a face like a slapped ass! I don't think anyone would have blamed him for trying to push for a move when he was left out the England squad for the world cup. He could have been a dick about it, stoked up some rumours in the press and tried to force a move to a bigger club. But he has stayed, knuckled down and still remains a vital cog in the machine. He's only just turned 31 so could still have around 3-4 seasons  in that locked in position. Just an all round nice guy but most importantly, a very good footballer. 

• Like 3

Fantastic signing, one of my favourite ever Saints players, was underwhelmed when we signed him to replace Shaw but how wrong was I! Has taken some stick in recent years but we’ve been lucky to have someone of his quality occupying that position for many years, especially considering we sell anyone decent! Hope we get him tied down to hopefully end his career here, but if not then at least a couple more seasons. 

• Like 1

Top player for us, modern era legend , played an important role in both our European qualifications and relegation battles, been to Wembley twice. 

Ridiculous how he's been left out of the England squad by Southgate but that might be to our benefit in the long run. 

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

Top player for us, modern era legend , played an important role in both our European qualifications and relegation battles, been to Wembley twice. 

Ridiculous how he's been left out of the England squad by Southgate but that might be to our benefit in the long run. 

Agreed, seeing Tripper play at left back was a joke.  

Great player.

I find it surprising he's not got his own song. I do wonder if the players notice or get affected by these things. If I had been committed at a club for 6 years and played near 200 games and not got my own song Id probably feel quite hurt about it all. I'd probably even kick off when Id see someone like Lemina warming up mid game and getting more love from the fans than I've ever been shown . However, he's a multi-millionaire so I cant imagine it bothers him too much. Surely someone on here can think of something decent for him?

Il start,

To the tune of White Stripes - Seven Nations Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY

Ooooh Ryan Bertrand.

Ooooh Ryan Bertrand.

Repeat X5.

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You're the ITKer on here pal, we hang onto your every word.

As an aside Turkish I always thought that "I'm the Sheriff round here!" programme cover on your Avatar was superb, then we sold Oxo to Arsenal for a handsome price on the following Thursday I thought "was that cover a prelude statement?". Then subsequently learning some of luggage that surrounded the deal and negotiations - that programme cover pose remained in my head.

Bertie is a great bit of experience to have in the team - he deffo wanted out under Puel, MoPe, and Hughes as the he hated playing their less than dynamic style of football - I heard from someone who was around the "inner circle" that if someone had come in for him, Saints were not going to stand in his way, it was also let slip that his stick never far from giving the muddy puddle a little stir. 

Under Ralph there is no doubt that he is a much happier bunny.

5 hours ago, JRM said:

Legend is a bit of a stretch, even in the modern day sense. 

The bloke put in zero effort during the period where he wanted out because he didn’t like the style of football we played. As right as his opinion was, he was paid to do a job for this club and he was half arsing it every week. 

• Sad 1

Top player. Left-back has been one of our strongest positions since he joined, which is a plus considering what has been put on the other side of the pitch between the Clyne and now KWP years. Undervalued by many because he doesn't run around with a smile on his face. Will be a big miss when he does eventually leave and will need replacing. At least the myth of replacing him with Targett, McQueen, or Vokins is now gone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2020 at 23:21, LeG said:

But is he signing a new deal???

Let's hope the Echo story is right.   Bertrand's been great for the Club, and he's such a lithe, athletic type I think he has 3 or 4 seasons left at a top level.     Recent criticism of him slowing down and not making those overlapping runs and byline crosses might be partly under instruction and partly due to the patchy form of Redmond and Djenepo.

one of my favourite players currently. so consistent and reliable. slight knock - seems to have lost the attacking edge to his game, but its not from a lack of effort, the amount of times he overlaps the winger just to be ignored completely. he does work better with redmond than djenepo but i feel both under utilise him, especially considering when neither of the two seem capable of beating their player these days

i get where some would say he is to blame for the city goal on the weekend, but many other factors also played their part - poor clearing header by bednarek, half the team caught up the field on the press which is what leads to ederson's clearance which was top quality, bertrand does get drawn to the ball but vestergaard just as much to blame for incisive decision making and poor communication. 

I suppose from the club's point of view it boils down to whether they've got enough money to buy a replacement of comparable quality (hard to think of one off the top of my head) or whether to stick with the devil they know for a couple more seasons. I do think he's slowing down - and has been since he had some back trouble a year or two ago - but also that he'll still do a good job when called upon for another 18 months or so.

I'd like to see Vokins given a few opportunities at some point to properly gauge his potential. He's only made two starts but was more than decent in both games. It's a shame he picked up a knock at the exact same time as Bertrand and couldn't get a run out against Newcastle. It'd be lovely if we had an in house replacement for Bertrand waiting in the wings.

Would be another poor use of our limited funds to give him a new contract (a la Shane Long - although I thought that was a good idea at the time). No reason why we can't flog him off for ~£5m with this Brexit uncertainty and swoop for a tidy EFL replacement. He is the weak link in the team at the moment, having had his below-par performances masked by the shiteness of the rest of the team for a while now. Too slow getting forward, and then too slow getting back when he eventually does amble forward. Also seems prone to at least one major lapse in concentration per match. 

• Confused 2

IMO....KWP > Bertrand (in the context of the system Ralph plays), ergo, I wonder if the club are weighing up whether they can source a left-footed version of KWP for the same sort of cash we could get by selling Bertrand. Or... we're trying to convince Bertrand to sign a contract that reflects he's likely to become a back-up player if/when we find another KWP. Or... None of the above... #whatdoiknow?

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Would be another poor use of our limited funds to give him a new contract (a la Shane Long - although I thought that was a good idea at the time). No reason why we can't flog him off for ~£5m with this Brexit uncertainty and swoop for a tidy EFL replacement. He is the weak link in the team at the moment, having had his below-par performances masked by the shiteness of the rest of the team for a while now. Too slow getting forward, and then too slow getting back when he eventually does amble forward. Also seems prone to at least one major lapse in concentration per match. 

You'd think we were in the relegation zone reading this and not sat in 7th, 2pts off the champions league spots. We have been great this season, Bertrand has been very good too. Our weakness is clearly the attacking mid position with Theo being arguably our only consistent performer. Djenepo and Redmond both being poor on the left is why Bertrand isn't looking as threatening there. Also KWP has been very very good so a lot goes through him now, that's fine, Robertson got a lower attacking output when Trent starting getting used more too.

8 hours ago, HKsaint said:

I think Bertrand is responsible for the goal conceded in the game lost to Manchester City. 

City were able to create an overload against Ryan because Vestergaard was slow to return to position.  The talent in City will more often than not profit from that situation.

If we lose Bertrand at the end of this season we would need 2 left backs, we seem to be struggling to get one.  Sign him up.

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

£5m for a 31 year old with only 6 months left on his contract?

Yep. We finessed about the same amount including wages for Cedric, so I think £5m is a relatively reasonable amount.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

tenor.gif

I meant our shiteness pre-2020. Now performances have picked up he is starting to get found out.

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

You'd think we were in the relegation zone reading this and not sat in 7th, 2pts off the champions league spots. We have been great this season, Bertrand has been very good too. Our weakness is clearly the attacking mid position with Theo being arguably our only consistent performer. Djenepo and Redmond both being poor on the left is why Bertrand isn't looking as threatening there. Also KWP has been very very good so a lot goes through him now, that's fine, Robertson got a lower attacking output when Trent starting getting used more too.

Again, I wasn't saying we have been shit this year but rather in seasons gone by. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the outstanding issues preventing Bertrand from signing a new contract is the length of the extension. Understandably at his age he wants as long as possible, while Saints don't want to have an excessive commitment to a player who will start to decline and/or pick up more injuries as he gets older. 

It could explain why Bertrand says that he is waiting on the club; maybe he wants to see if they'll offer a decent 3 year extension. It could mean that the perceived positivity in Bertrand's statements this morning may not bear fruition. I'm a little puzzled why he went public with those statements; it feels a little bit that he was trying to put pressure on Saints - which wouldn't indicate a smooth negotiation. 

Pure speculation though - I'm probably completely wrong. 

On 17/11/2020 at 17:37, RedArmy said:

Legend is a bit of a stretch, even in the modern day sense. 

The bloke put in zero effort during the period where he wanted out because he didn’t like the style of football we played. As right as his opinion was, he was paid to do a job for this club and he was half arsing it every week. 

Not a fanboy then.

7 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

What a load of garbage. Glad you don't post very often.

8 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Don’t bother posting anymore with crap like that you obviously don’t understand the game 

• Like 1

Got to sign him up imo. I haven’t seen any decline in his performances. KWP is more eye catching going forwards, but not as solid defensively. Bertrand still overlaps and his delivery is superb. I think he’s the sort of player who could shift into more than one position if needed, just a technically brilliant footballer. I’m also not surprised he mentions a future at the club beyond playing, he’s the sort of player I could imagine taking up a director of footballer role at a club in the future (be it ours or another). Very intelligent guy with a business mind. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Got to sign him up imo. I haven’t seen any decline in his performances. KWP is more eye catching going forwards, but not as solid defensively. Bertrand still overlaps and his delivery is superb. I think he’s the sort of player who could shift into more than one position if needed, just a technically brilliant footballer. I’m also not surprised he mentions a future at the club beyond playing, he’s the sort of player I could imagine taking up a director of footballer role at a club in the future (be it ours or another). Very intelligent guy with a business mind. 

Quite agree

If he and the club saw eye to eye he wouldn't be going public, saying it was in the club's hands and talking about how many years he had 'left in him'.

Sounds like he's angling for a longer contract, as he's entitled to do. Be interested to know how many years each side is proposing.

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

100%. Despite a natural drop in performance, he still isn't a weak link in the team like Redmond, Valery are/were. I still think it will be very hard to replace him and would be another test for the scouting department, when we do not necessarily need to. Unless, he is asking for an obscene amount of wages for his age.

9 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I personally hope Ryan stays as he's such a class act. Great player who has made it clear that he wants to be part of our long term plans under Ralph :)

Realisation perhaps that the move to a bigger and more glamorous (London) club that he might have hankered after a couple of years ago has now passed him by .

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

100%. Despite a natural drop in performance, he still isn't a weak link in the team like Redmond, Valery are/were. I still think it will be very hard to replace him and would be another test for the scouting department, when we do not necessarily need to. Unless, he is asking for an obscene amount of wages for his age.

And/Or the length of contract is too long.

Seems  the club in this instance are in a decent bargaining position.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

I know a forum is about discussion and opinions, but it's not often I diagree with every single sentence in a post of that length. 

Echo article only stengthens my opinion club are still trying to offload one or more of the loanees completely before comitting to new contract for Bertrand

In the spirit of the thread I do appreciate what he has done for us, particularly under RK.  The exception  being the sulky season where he wanted the big move.  If we do give him a contract it needs to be with a view to being a back up, I think his time has nearly come at this level.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Seems  the club in this instance are in a decent bargaining position.

And that is a rare thing indeed. We always moan when the player has all the power and the club are being shafted by greedy agents. 

Saints are playing a cagey game it seems and whilst I admire Ryan and agree he's mainly been an excellent pro for the club, I'm convinced the offer won't be derisory relatively speaking of course.

At the end of the day, he either signs up or he doesn't. We're such a transient club when it comes to players I can fully live with him wanting to go elsewhere. 

Saints will move on, possibly not with better than Ryan initially but that's the way it goes sometimes. 

I'm far more content with this kind of situation than I am by the aforementioned greedy agents using Saints to grab more cash by engineering a move away to a so-called top six club.

On 22/12/2020 at 11:49, SambaMaverick said:

Are you struggling with the word 'appreciation' in this thread?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Appy said:

Been one of our best Premier League signings, doesn't get the credit he deserves, just because he's "sulky", it's just his personality, people need to get a grip.

And he's not even sulky! He can be quite serious, but he's a real professional.

Personally I really rate Bertrand. He works his socks off and got into some great attacking positions in the last match. When he advances into the opposition penalty area, he's bound to be leaving gaps. That's the trade off re being adventurous. My impression is he loves the direction that Saints are taking with Ralph, and wants to be a part of it for several more seasons. When Redmond is on form, the duo are very consistent and dangerous. Unfortunately, he gets more exposed when Redmond is off form.

Finding an experienced quality left back isn't easy. Ryan is bright and will be an asset to the club long after his career finishes I suspect/guess.

• Like 3