Saints v Man City Build-Up - Match Thread

trousers

Same starting 11 although maybe Redmond for Armstrong. However sadly though I just don’t see Armstrong as someone who can have an impact of the bench- not sure why.

I think this is where we are crying out for a Mane or someone of that quality, a wide player who can get us 10-12 PL goals.

I have a feeling JWP will score a free kick but I think City will eventually break us down twice.

1-2 to City; Mahrez and Sterling to score for them

Edited by nta786

I shall be there. I will sing, please help anybody else in bloomin' row Z! It might be difficult being sober, singing, and watching Saints, but at least I'll get home quickly if I'm driving and not relying on Southern Railways.

Incidentally, has anyone any recommendations as to where to park free with only 2K in the ground and having to get there early  just after 2 for the Covid regs?

13 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I shall be there. I will sing, please help anybody else in bloomin' row Z! It might be difficult being sober, singing, and watching Saints, but at least I'll get home quickly if I'm driving and not relying on Southern Railways.

Incidentally, has anyone any recommendations as to where to park free with only 2K in the ground and having to get there early  just after 2 for the Covid regs?

I usually park at Bitterne Station or in the residential streets around it.

33 minutes ago, waylander said:

I usually park at Bitterne Station or in the residential streets around it.

Ta. How far is that to walk?! I was thinking a little bit closer with only 2000. I sometimes walk back along the St. Denys riviera to park there and be the right side of town to get away quickly. It'll just be great being there although I'm steeling myself for disappointment.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Same starting 11 although maybe Redmond for Armstrong. However sadly though I just don’t see Armstrong as someone who can have an impact of the bench- not sure why.

I think this is where we are crying out for a Mane or someone of that quality, a wide player who can get us 10-12 PL goals.

I have a feeling JWP will score a free kick but I think City will eventually break us down twice.

LOL, most clubs in the world are crying out for a player of Manes quality 

5 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Ta. How far is that to walk?! I was thinking a little bit closer with only 2000. I sometimes walk back along the St. Denys riviera to park there and be the right side of town to get away quickly. It'll just be great being there although I'm steeling myself for disappointment.

15/20 mins

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

I think we are/were hoping Moussa was the 'new mane', but sadly he's not a threat in the goal sense yet.

I'm glad to see he's getting a run in the side now, but he's still not nailed down a place here despite being in his 2nd season. Need to start seeing much more from him now really.

3rd game in 7 days, this is when Man City having two top players in every position benefit , we'll probably play the same XI again, i think we used up about 3 seasons worth of luck in the 1-0 last season, don't think we'll get as lucky with the clean sheet this time, best we can hope for is a draw I think based on City's last two games they are not firing on all cylinders. 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

3rd game in 7 days, this is when Man City having two top players in every position benefit , we'll probably play the same XI again, i think we used up about 3 seasons worth of luck in the 1-0 last season, don't think we'll get as lucky with the clean sheet this time, best we can hope for is a draw I think based on City's last two games they are not firing on all cylinders. 

All very well having two players for every position, but Pep tends to change it for each game and I watched them last night against West Brom and at times they looked they were a bunch of strangers. Undoubtedly very talented individuals but not playing great as a team I'd say. Yes we have a lot fewer options but there is something to be said for playing a settled team where everyone knows their own and their teammates jobs, and playing well obviously helps. 

Drop Armstrong for redmond.. diallo for Romeu.. Ralph has to rest Romeu for me .he was again a colossus last night and wish he picked up his 5th booking by taking out saka for Arsenals equaliser..my thinking is bring him back for Fulham and West Ham games then we can rotate and get a good look at diallo .. few cameos looks like he could offer something more going forward . Still dying too see salisu kick a ball for saints ! But doubt that will happen in 2020 .

Me too! At least if you contact the ticket office they will arrange a refund.. Posted elsewhere but for information..

Please be aware that if you live in an area that has been placed in Tier 3 of the government’s local restriction tier system, including Portsmouth, Gosport, Havant and parts of Surrey, you will not be able to attend this match. Please email tickets@saintsfc.co.uk to arrange a refund.

I think we actually stand a chance against City. Play the same team, same style. Djenepo is a bit of a wild card but we need to get him running at defenders in the last third. Would be great to get a point and I think we're capable of that. Then maybe the punters might actually start talking about us rather than the oppo having a bad day etc, or 9-0 0 etc etc. Anyone see Kevin Campbell yesterday saying that we have a chance of playing in Europe, which we have never had before? Amazing.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Many congratulations for Sunday. Fortieth is a great big ruby isn't it?

For her it will be, not sure what I'll get. 😉

It's bloody annoying, Ruby Wedding, both of our 60th birthdays, and a new grand daughter living the other side of Manchester, all in the midst of 'lockdown'. So much was looked forward to, and so much had to be laid aside.

Edited by badgerx16

7 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Drop Armstrong for redmond.. diallo for Romeu.. Ralph has to rest Romeu for me .he was again a colossus last night and wish he picked up his 5th booking by taking out saka for Arsenals equaliser..my thinking is bring him back for Fulham and West Ham games then we can rotate and get a good look at diallo .. few cameos looks like he could offer something more going forward . Still dying too see salisu kick a ball for saints ! But doubt that will happen in 2020 .

Can't agree with you at all. Armstrong is the only player we have who can get between the lines consistently. Theo of course is now developing into that role well. As for resting Romeu, yes but not against ManC we need all the experience we can get. Daillo would flounder and that would not be good for us or him.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

For her it will be, not sure what I'll get. 😉

It's bloody annoying, Ruby Wedding, both of our 60th birthdays, and a new grand daughter living the other side of Manchester, all in the midst of 'lockdown'. So much was looked forward to, and so much had to be laid aside.

That’s a bigger. Your days will come. If it makes you feel better we had our golden anniversary in the middle of September during the brief relaxation 

They don't like being pressured, so hopefully we're on our game. Truth be told, we'll struggle to get the ball I imagine.

When we do get it we need to be accurate and not wasteful with it (I'm looking at you Armstrong...)

Let's see what happens. Anything is a complete bonus here.

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd bring Redmond in for Armstrong. He was generally awful last night and clearly needs a rest. 

He was. I found it odd that he was mostly playing on the left of the two “number 10’s”. For me I would probably stick with one of Redmond or Djenepo on left and one of Walcott or Armstrong on the right. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2020 at 20:57, suewhistle said:

just outside Coleporters rowing club just before the Esso garage on the a27 about 1/4 Mile before the ground. It's free at the moment on matchdays as restrictions are not in place

I would like to see Redmond and Walcott playing as the number tens. Much as I would like to see Diallo given a chance, I don't think this is the right game. The only other position I would question, assuming that there are no injuries, is whether Ings should play from the start or come off the bench. I just hope everyone has the legs to be on top of their game at the end of a busy week!

On the whole Armstrong thing I think he’s been a bit unfortunate to have moved onto the left. He can have an off game, isn’t as quick (and so visibly dynamic as some) and maybe is suffering slightly after COVID, but for me he’s first pick ahead of the other number 10s. Redmond and Djenepo are even less consistent, is more creative and scores more. When he plays well saints tend to win.

That said in terms of this game itself I’d be tempted to do any rotation here. Certainly in a normal season you’d pretty much write off city and Liverpool as almost certain defeats so I’d prioritise the other games. And out of city and Liverpool I’d go at the scousers - they have no central defence and quite frankly I loathe them.

I wouldn’t go mad but Diallo for Romeu (yellow cards and keep JWP for set pieces) rest Armstrong and probably Adams as well. I’d like to rest a full back but we don’t have the options imho.

McCarthy

KWP Bednatek Vesti Bertrand 

Theo Diallo JWP Redmond

Ings N’Lundulu

Cant be arsed to list subs but I’d be tempted to give Tella some more minutes. He must be buzzing after his 4 goals for the B team

Edited by Chewy
Typi

Armstrong I feel gets in as he carries the ball well from one end to the other without too much hesitation, bundles his way through winning throws/fouls/corners up the pitch. Redmond unfortunately starts running until he comes near someone and ends up checking back. Feels it slows our play down too much.

I'd switch to a back 3 for this one, we should be shit scared of City and put in defensive players accordingly. For me the line up should be (3-5-1-1):

Forster (cos he's taller against their big forwards)

Bednarek (he plays every game)

Vestergaard (for height, see Forster)

Salisu (we all want him to play to see how good he is. If he can't handle De Bruyne and Sterling he should be sold immediately)

Valery (He can get forward well and KWP needs a rest)

Stephens (well people want to try him in DM)

Diallo (This is his time to shine. Keep leaving him on the bench and he'll whinge eventually)

Romeu (Let him get his booking in time for Christmas)

Bertrand (Well he's done bugger all lately so needs to keep playing)

JWP (In an advanced role because he's been crap at CM lately)

Ings (Rusty as piss so keep playing him until he scores)

.......No of course not! Same team please. Much like Arsenal, this is another big team bang out of form that we should be looking to get at least a point against. However I'd much rather beat the likes of Fulham and West Ham than City - for me this game (and really the Arsenal game) are free hits where every point is a bonus.

Another point would be a decent result despite winning this fixture in July so I'm going for 2-2.

Premier League Football GIF by Southampton FC

3 hours ago, jimmer42 said:

just outside Coleporters rowing club just before the Esso garage on the a27 about 1/4 Mile before the ground. It's free at the moment on matchdays as restrictions are not in place

Cheers, but I now can't go as I'm in tier 3.. Hopefully that will change again soon...

The limitations of our attacking creativity were cruelly exposed on Wednesday, what had looked so easy against Sheff U just did not work against Arsenal's better organised and better quality defence. While much of our defensive work against the ball kept their talented players quiet as we tired gaps began to appear and bingo they scored a superb equaliser. Had they not gone down ten men the outcome might have been very different.

The pattern could be much the same tomorrow coupled with which we have had less recovery time than them so we could struggle after the break. I have a bad feeling about this and fear we will not compete as well as recently. Nor can we rely on reproducing a defensive display par excellence similar to last season's. 

Factor in also that Guardiola is very familiar with Ralph's methods of play from Bundesliga days as well as in the PL last season so it is unlikely we can surprise them

We should start with an unchanged team but even so for me this will end up in a 1-4 defeat.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Still don't get the negativity over Stuart Armstrong...

Great awareness, positionally astute, drives forward & chips in with a few goals !

Clearly a team player who fits with our current strategy and recognised as such by Ralph !

We are on a good run with a stable formation (of which he is part) so this is not the time to be looking for scapegoats or whipping boys !

COYS 😇

• Like 2

Armstrong gives the ball away a lot compared to Redmond, Walcott and Djenepo, who are all better in possession, but he plays a high risk, high reward game.

At home he is usually better and has a good goal return, so I would keep him in for this.

Edited by Dusic

I continue to be really impressed with KWP. We have picked up a really decent full back there.  Someone mentioned "resting Che for this one. Don't agree, his hold up play and strength, as well as his goals and some really good assists, he's finally the player we were all hoping he would be. AND he scored a wonder goal against City a few months ago. They will be very worried by him. 

32 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Only Ralph can assess who needs a rest or not. On the basis of a bird (or points) are worth two in the bush, I would play our strongest team and the think about resting players vs the Fulhams of this world. 

I wonder if he might start Ings on the bench, bring Redmond or Djenepo in and put Theo through the middle then bring Danny on in the second half. It’s just his talk of “managing minutes” that makes me wonder.  He may drop Armstrong to the bench as he’s mentioned before about being careful with him due to his injury record. 

Edited by beatlesaint

I'm usually optimistic of our chances against anyone but I just can't see us getting anything here. City may not be as incisive as in recent years but they are masters at keeping the ball and passing the opposition to death, which could leave us camped out in our own half and expending energy trying to get the ball back. Keeping possession will be vital if we're going to get anything from this game.

22 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Can't agree with you at all. Armstrong is the only player we have who can get between the lines consistently. Theo of course is now developing into that role well. As for resting Romeu, yes but not against ManC we need all the experience we can get. Daillo would flounder and that would not be good for us 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Man City Build-Up - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned and locked this topic