• Jake Vokins
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Caleb Watts
    • Kgagole Chauke
    • Shane Long
    • Dan Nlundulu

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/21 at 21:00

14 hours ago, JRM said:

Apparently Shrewsbury don't have an u23 team so wasn't considered an option. FA seem determined to give them a chance to play the tie as they think integrity of the competition damaged if games forfeited. 

I'm starting to understand why Ralph would agree to these changes. 

We play strongest XI v Leicester then a changed side midweek covid riddled Shrewsbury. Hopefully enough to get through then we play strongest XI again v Arsenal in 4th round.  

By the time we play Leeds later in the season could fit in when fixture list isn't as intense as the run of games we're about to go into. 

The Shrewsbury game should be forfeited by them. Harsh as it is, their club clearly broke covid protocols and the price of that shouldn't be additional fixture congestion for saints.

People looking at games in isolation. But as the number of postponed games stack up, the fixture list will be just as "intense" later in the season. And sod saints potentially missing out on Europe because of match congestion, jaded players / injuries etc. for something that wasn't our fault.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

The Shrewsbury game should be forfeited by them. Harsh as it is, their club clearly broke covid protocols and the price of that shouldn't be additional fixture congestion for saints.

People looking at games in isolation. But as the number of postponed games stack up, the fixture list will be just as "intense" later in the season. And sod saints potentially missing out on Europe because of match congestion, jaded players / injuries etc. for something that wasn't our fault.

Precisely. Why should other clubs have lost because they needed to put out teams of youngsters while Shrewsbury get another chance?  Nothing to do with being a Saints fan - the integrity of the competition is at stake if you change the rules on a whim.

• Like 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJL9RvSsNxH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Until now I have been willing to give Shrews the benefit of the doubt. Despite vigorous protocols,  it is possible for Covid outbreaks to happen anywhere, such is the nature of the disease.

However, the above photo is evidence that they seemingly have some players blatantly flouting the rules over Christmas  which has no doubt contributed to the outbreak (assuming that the above is recent). For that  I say fuxk 'em and give us a bye.

Seems their fans aren't best pleased either. 

https://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/101242/club-statement-positive-covid-tests?page=3

I can’t believe a decision hasn’t been made yet. What the hell are they waiting for? 
Unlike Derby, Shrewsbury were unable to fulfill the fixture so surely, like Leyton Orient in the League Cup, they should either forfeit the game or the powers that be give Saints a bye. 
I can’t believe Shrewsbury are really interested in playing the match and I’m bloody sure Southampton aren’t. 

Given Shrewsbury have already called off next Saturdays match they have bigger fish to fry in getting some League matches played.

4 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Until now I have been willing to give Shrews the benefit of the doubt. Despite vigorous protocols,  it is possible for Covid outbreaks to happen anywhere, such is the nature of the disease.

However, the above photo is evidence that they seemingly have some players blatantly flouting the rules over Christmas  which has no doubt contributed to the outbreak (assuming that the above is recent). For that  I say fuxk 'em and give us a bye.

https://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/101242/club-statement-positive-covid-tests?page=3

The FA have jumped all over Grimsby for being nawty boys and not following the rules - even though the top line fine is suspended, there is a another more hefty financial penalty tacked on to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55605876

Edited by John Boy Saint
there not effin their = eejit

34 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

The FA have jumped all over Grimsby for being nawty boys and not following the rules - even though the top line fine is suspended, there is a another more hefty financial penalty tacked on to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55605876

The Football League have jumped all over Grimsby, not the Football Association. Different organisations for different competitions. Grimsby is irrelevant to the Shrewsbury situation.

This sounds like the FA are trying to support Shrewsbury even though the rules have been broken. The idea that Saints should be at a disadvantage for the rest of the season by re-arranging fixtures is farcical and is devaluing the FA Cup. What if Saints refused to play them in order to protect team & club? What if Arsenal did the same? And so on and so on until the Final which Shrewsbury also win on a bye? It's farcical and time for the FA to show some balls. Otherwise they've completely undermined their own competition and wonder why it seems less relevant every year.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

The Football League have jumped all over Grimsby, not the Football Association. Different organisations for different competitions. Grimsby is irrelevant to the Shrewsbury situation.

50 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You are mixing up governing bodies.

Ooops Fingers ahead of brain.

Not everybody’s perfect............said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Bit of a farce no decision has been made still. Shrews cannot field a side and as such we should be given a bye - whilst I understand people saying we could just play the u23s but why should we? Due to the madness of covid there’s a very real chance that one of the unfancied sides could go all the way this year, especially once European football starts up again and the big sides have to factor that in alongside any postponed games that need to be rearranged. 

I’d love Ralph to take the cup as serious as possible and leave some sort of legacy. Qualifying for European football would be gash next season without the free movement of fans anyway.

• Like 1

Re Covid ,I saw a player from the ManU V Burnley spit before the the match had even started. So the theory that chemicals released from heavy exercise prompts spitting is spurious. I doubt spitting is socially acceptable   in gyms.

By the way does any older posters from Totton remember the setting up of Testwood YC football club with my class mates from Totton Grammar and us playing  in the New Forest League against grown men Our first match was v Marchwood Power Station. We played with a ball donated to us by Sir Walter Winterbottom, the England manager at the time.  We played in a strip donated to us by the Navy at Portsmouth. 

I later moved with my parents to Bedford

• Like 1

Q, How many FA board members does it take to change a lightbulb?

A, it depends on -

is it a top 6 lightbulb

Has VAR agreed it a real lightbulb

is the lightbulb from London, Manchester or Liverpool

will the lightbulb shine a light on FA incompetence

Crikey guys just make a decision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, steve green said:

A, it depends on -

is it a top 6 lightbulb

This really  sums up the whole fiasco. What is there to mull over - as you say make a decision.  The way Covid is going we'll be lucky to finish the Premier league, never mind the cup.

It does seem to have gone beyond the 'giving the FA the benefit of the doubt' stage now. I could see why they wanted to wait for the 4th and 5th round draws to take place in order to see how the fixtures mapped out over the next month or so, but I can't see what additional decision making criteria they're now waiting upon. Thinking out loud, maybe both Saints and Leeds have agreed, in principle, to reschedule next week's PL game but the FA are now waiting for Shrewsbury to get the 'all clear' on the covid front? 

Edited by trousers

40 minutes ago, LeG said:

They are waiting for negative test results from Shrews players. Doubt they will get them.

Also Shrewsbury training ground is closed until the weekend so if they have enough players they'll only have a couple of days training again before playing. 

Don't understand why FA making it difficult for themselves. Give is a bye and get on scheduling 4th round tv slots. 

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Also Shrewsbury training ground is closed until the weekend so if they have enough players they'll only have a couple of days training again before playing. 

Don't understand why FA making it difficult for themselves. Give is a bye and get on scheduling 4th round tv slots. 

This exactly. The FA just need to grow a pair and make a decision. Surely the best solution now is just to give us a bye. Making us wait is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, steve green said:

A, it depends on -

is it a top 6 lightbulb

Being cynical old Hector: The Premier League is their Jewel in the Crown - Cramping up Saints with fixture congestion is of no interest to them as its a convenient way to hamper another Leicester fly in the ointment at the top of the table. Arsenal have been written off to make the big table at the end of the season so long as the top 5 are suitably covered with the right teams they can live with it and sod Saints, Wolves, Leeds, and especially tomorrows chip paper team Chorley.

You would think with the protocols they have in place to be as Covid secure as possible - that they would give teams the maximum time to manage them.

54 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Making us wait is ridiculous.

Why? Why does it bother you? Literally, name one difference it makes to you? As for Saints, it makes barely any difference to them either. They'll get a few days notice to prepare for a game they've already prepped for to be played at the same time as another game. The club will know by Sunday/Monday which is when they'll turn their attention to Leeds/Shrewsbury anyway so there's no difference to our recovery or training program either. In the grand scheme of things actually I think it'll turn out to be one of the more simple fixture changes. 

If there was fans involved then yeah it would be farcical, but there isn't and so they can leave things until later in the day and be flexible. There's nothing ridiculous or farcical about it. 

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Why? Why does it bother you? Literally, name one difference it makes to you? As for Saints, it makes barely any difference to them either. They'll get a few days notice to prepare for a game they've already prepped for to be played at the same time as another game. The club will know by Sunday/Monday which is when they'll turn their attention to Leeds/Shrewsbury anyway so there's no difference to our recovery or training program either. In the grand scheme of things actually I think it'll turn out to be one of the more simple fixture changes. 

If there was fans involved then yeah it would be farcical, but there isn't and so they can leave things until later in the day and be flexible. There's nothing ridiculous or farcical about it. 

But thats the point, the game was originally postponed last Thursday I think. And since then we were told there was going to be a meeting early this week to determine what was going to happen with the tie. I can't understand why its taking so long to sort out. There are a few people asking the same question so don't know what you are getting at. As for you saying it makes no difference whether its Leeds or Shrewsbury next, thats the point course it does! There should be plenty of notice given to potentially change a fixture around, not like two days! See what Scott Parker has been saying this week.

Edited by davefizzy14

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

But thats the point, the game was originally postponed last Thursday I think. And since then we were told there was going to be a meeting early this week to determine what was going to happen with the tie. Wheres the transparency exactly and there are a few people asking the same question so don't know why you are so quick to judge??

Why do you need transparency? As I said, it makes no difference to you, me or our fan base at all. The clubs involved and the FA would have had those meetings. It's quite clear the outcome of those meetings is we'll give Shrewsbury the chance to be in a position to have a squad by the weekend and if they don't it'll be called off, which is perfectly reasonable. 

I don't understand why people are concerned or particularly care. It'll sort itself out. The nature of the issue doesn't lend itself to a quick decision so have some patience and let them figure out what can and can't be played. 

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Why do you need transparency? As I said, it makes no difference to you, me or our fan base at all. The clubs involved and the FA would have had those meetings. It's quite clear the outcome of those meetings is we'll give Shrewsbury the chance to be in a position to have a squad by the weekend and if they don't it'll be called off, which is perfectly reasonable. 

I don't understand why people are concerned or particularly care. It'll sort itself out. The nature of the issue doesn't lend itself to a quick decision so have some patience and let them figure out what can and can't be played. 

We have quite a condensed fixture list already, just be good to have a swift decision made thats all. I get your point though :)

Competition is a joke this season. Derby and Villa have to play their U10’s but Shrewsbury somehow get it rearranged. VAR at some grounds and not at others, drawing two rounds at once with about 200 permutations for each game. Farcical. 

43 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Competition is a joke this season. Derby and Villa have to play their U10’s but Shrewsbury somehow get it rearranged. VAR at some grounds and not at others, drawing two rounds at once with about 200 permutations for each game. Farcical. 

Couldn’t agree more. They must know someone high up at the FA as this goes against absolutely everything that’s happened so far.

So if they can’t fulfill the fixture next Tuesday, and there’s no guarantee they will be able to play it, both Saints and Leeds have a fixture to fit in later which could have, sorry should have been played. 

Hope niether team is victim of more Covid postponements then.....

On 12/01/2021 at 15:44, jawillwill said:

There’s me saying they need them tv revenue give them a chance .. after reading that I think a bye is the least they could offer us 

35 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Will it be live on the telly?

It was originally scheduled for BT Sport so I'd assume they still have the rights to show it. But I bet BBC wouldn't mind getting their hands on it. Potential upset and all that.

Surely if they can't fulfil the fixture next week we'd get a bye. It definitely feels like Villa and Derby have been punished for their COVID situation and not Shrewsbury. 

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Embarassing decision. If i was a fan of one of the teams forced into virtual throwing of their fixtures by playing u18's i'd be raging that Shrewsbury game has been rescheduled.

The FA could not possibly put more fixtures on Liverpool's plate later in the season, by re-arranging their FA cup game against Villa.  The fallout would be unbearable.

Edited by AlexLaw76

32 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes you do.

You can get a monthly pass for BT sport app for £25, works online but also if smart tv, might be worth buying on Saturday to get Leicester away, Shrewsbury home, Arsenal home (league) plus any other cup or league games BT choose in early Feb. 

If we lose to Shrewsbury I wonder if we'll then play Leeds away 4th round weekend, would make sense. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Shrewsbury - Tuesday 19th 8pm

I’m actually quietly happy with this.

A chance to give our fringe players some game time against L1 team to see how they stack up and some decent rest for our first XI (well reduce their matchday exertions as much as we can!). Better than to play Shrewsbury than a tough Leeds side

If we can get through Shrewsbury without needing the likes of Ings, JWP, KWP etc (although JWP is a machine), then that gives us a very good chance against Arsenal the following weekend! 

I’d start Forster/Valery/Long/Diallo/Djenepo but we need to be wary of resting too many 1st team players I guess- we lost 5-0 to Northampton and 2-1 to Stevenage with the U21s (but beat MK Dons 2-1!) this season. It’d be nice to look at Salisu too.

Edited by nta786