• Jake Vokins
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Caleb Watts
    • Kgagole Chauke
    • Shane Long
    • Dan Nlundulu

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/21 at 21:00

Info from Ralph:

“It will be a mixed group tomorrow – some guys who have to play, because there are not a lot of alternatives, and some young guys will have to step in and show what they have shown in the sessions: that they are developing their game and deserve to get a chance to play.”

The thought of an in form rejuvenated Arsenal side waiting on Saturday the incentive to beat Shrewsbury is not quite the same for our injury ravaged squad. Im still scarred by the Arsenal home FA cup 4th round of 2017. Not the end of the world if we go out to the Shrews to avoid another day like that. 

Would be nice to just see us score a goal or two, we've only scored one in the last five games,  can't be helping the confidence, we'll probably be commended for avoiding close contact goal celebrations. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

The thought of an in form rejuvenated Arsenal side waiting on Saturday the incentive to beat Shrewsbury is not quite the same for our injury ravaged squad. Im still scarred by the Arsenal home FA cup 4th round of 2017. Not the end of the world if we go out to the Shrews to avoid another day like that. 

Would be nice to just see us score a goal or two, we've only scored one in the last five games,  can't be helping the confidence, we'll probably be commended for avoiding close contact goal celebrations. 

Arsenal look decent second half .. partey looks like a decent signing..aubamayang scoring again right on cue .. we will beat shrews but the Arse revival looks to be well and truly in full swing ! 🙄

59 minutes ago, JRM said:

Losing to Shrewsbury will do alot more damage to our confidence than losing to Arsenal. Also wouldnt jump to say that Arsenal are rejuvenated - they've beaten poor Newcastle x2, West Brom and Brighton sides, and an out of form Chelsea team in recent weeks. Also drew with Palace at home. We can definitely beat them even with our injuries

• Confused 2

Truth be told we do not have enough fit players to be confident of winning either this match or the one on Saturday. This is where a small squad and relying on the Academy lads has really lets us down.

I'd rather we lose with the 'B' side tonight rather than be humiliated by the Gunners. It would be a lot more damaging to our confidence if we put out our strongest team for both matches, scraped a win tonight but then got roasted at the weekend. 

Considering if we win tonight we play Arsenal twice in 4 days selections will be interesting. 

Tonight I'd go with this team

GK Forster

LB Vokins

RB Valery or Ramsey

CB Stephens 

CB Tchaptchat

CM Diallo

CM Chauke

LAM Ferry

RAM Walcott or Valery

ST N'Dundulu 

ST Long

IF we then win its a few more days rest/recovery for some of the main and injured players. 

Saturday you could go with the strongest team rather than Tuesday as a possible run to the final is probably now more useful than league form as we are obviously safe and unlikely to make Europe and will end up 7th to 10th I predict. 

17 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Considering if we win tonight we play Arsenal twice in 4 days selections will be interesting. 

GK Forster

LB Vokins

RB Valery or Ramsey

CB Stephens 

CB Tchaptchat

CM Diallo

CM Chauke

LAM Ferry

RAM Walcott or Valery

ST N'Dundulu 

ST Long

IF we then win its a few more days rest/recovery for some of the main and injured players. 

Saturday you could go with the strongest team rather than Tuesday as a possible run to the final is probably now more useful than league form as we are obviously safe and unlikely to make Europe and will end up 7th to 10th I predict. 

The club will prefer us to do better in the league, especially in the current financial climate. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

GK Forster

LB Vokins

RB Valery or Ramsey

CB Stephens 

CB Tchaptchat

CM Diallo

CM Chauke

LAM Ferry

RAM Walcott or Valery

ST N'Dundulu 

ST Long

Potentially 3 players yet to make their debut(?), and Ramsey and N'lundulu who have played a game or two between them. I very much want to see N'Lundulu start and probably Ramsey, but think if we play all those other 3 as well, it might be a few too many. Tchaptchat has come a bit out of nowhere, was last match his first time in the match day squad?

The 3 players shown on the official poster promoting the match are: JWP, Bertrand and N'Lundulu. On the official site Ralph says that it will be a strong side with a few youngsters. With that in mind I'm going for a starting line up of:

Forster, Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Diallo, Chauke, JWP, Ferry, Long, N'Lundulu 

(or JWP at RB with Valery in front of him)

Subs: McCarthy, KWP, Vokins, Tchapchet, Ramsey, Watts, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams

15 minutes ago, Minsk said:

The 3 players shown on the official poster promoting the match are: JWP, Bertrand and N'Lundulu. On the official site Ralph says that it will be a strong side with a few youngsters. With that in mind I'm going for a starting line up of:

Forster, Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Diallo, Chauke, JWP, Ferry, Long, N'Lundulu 

(or JWP at RB with Valery in front of him)

Subs: McCarthy, KWP, Vokins, Tchapchet, Ramsey, Watts, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams

I'm thinking similar although I wouldn't be surprised to see Bertrand and CB with either Vokins or Ferry at LB. I also reckon we may see one or two of the youngsters, ie Mitchell or Rodriguez on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appy said:

The club will prefer us to do better in the league, especially in the current financial climate. 

Yep exactly correct.

It was the same for Liverpool a few months ago- they put out a strong team for their dead rubber game in the UCL because had they won that, it would have banked them €2.7m!!! (the same game Jota got injured)

You might argue on the other hand, winning the FA Cup will open up a whole new load of revenue streams inc. European money for next year- but the chances of us winning it is very small sadly so the league will always take priority. 

Edited by nta786

People keep saying we have a really small squad because of lack of investment. Aren’t we currently missing 9 first team players? Think most teams would struggle to field a strong bench in that scenario. We’re still starting almost every game with 11 senior starters. Not sure how big our squad is supposed to be!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Going to go with a slightly stronger line up, I know we have a lot of games, but Ralph won't want to lose this game either.

Forster, KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand, Diallo (Romeu) JWP, Valery Walcott Long N'Lundulu 

Stephens should play. He cannot tired - he has only just started playing again in first team agaain

3 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

GK Forster

LB Vokins

RB Valery or Ramsey

CB Stephens 

CB Tchaptchat

CM Diallo

CM Chauke

LAM Ferry

RAM Walcott or Valery

ST N'Dundulu 

ST Long

If we had not got so many injuries we may have got into Europe. I feel devastated for poor Smallbone. I wish him a good recovery.

we should get through tonight. But there's no chance of us beating Arsenal, even if they rest a few. When is the next round scheduled for? got to get the ££ down on. I'd imagine Ralph will be targetting the Tuesday game to bring back some first teamers, rather than the weekend

9 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

we should get through tonight. But there's no chance of us beating Arsenal, even if they rest a few. When is the next round scheduled for? got to get the ££ down on. I'd imagine Ralph will be targetting the Tuesday game to bring back some first teamers, rather than the weekend

Why not? We battered them at their place, you never know how a game will pan out, especially given we're at home. They'll rotate their squad, we may choose to put out our strongest team.  We may lose yes, but we might also beat them. Away to a misfiring Wolves in the 5th round....we could find ourselves in the 6th round just as we get a load of players back from injury...don't' think there is any reason to have such a defeatist attitude.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

We should be able to virtually field the same team (or better) on Saturday that we used against Liverpool (who even in current form are better than Arsenal). McCarthy and Adams who were missing would both be able to play, I'm assuming Danny will be back and there is a chance that Djenepo and/or Romeu could be close.   I'm not under estimating it, and I agree that the priority should be the league, but let's not write it off just yet. 

I'm worried about tonight's match - Shrewsbury have got good recent form and we may play a number of youngsters tonight, so depending on how much youth is in our team, it could be a close one. However, Saturday I think we can bring some of our more experienced players back .... 

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Going to go with a slightly stronger line up, I know we have a lot of games, but Ralph won't want to lose this game either.

Forster, KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand, Diallo (Romeu) JWP, Valery Walcott Long N'Lundulu 

I reckon the team that Ralph picks for tonight will be close to this. I see Ryan being rested for Vokins. COYR :) 3-0 to us tonight N'Lundulu x2 and Long.

Edited by davefizzy14

17 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Losing to Shrewsbury will do alot more damage to our confidence than losing to Arsenal. Also wouldnt jump to say that Arsenal are rejuvenated - they've beaten poor Newcastle x2, West Brom and Brighton sides, and an out of form Chelsea team in recent weeks. Also drew with Palace at home. We can definitely beat them even with our injuries

You what?

4 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Ralph has said it'll be a mix of young guys and experienced players. Think we'll see something like this:

Forster

Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand

JWP Diallo Ferry

Chauke Nlundulu Long

** MLG Klaxon **

We don't play 4-3-3

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, trousers said:

Bit of a lottery but here's my punt...

Forster

Valery - Stephens - Bednarek - Vokins

Diallo - JWP

Armstrong - Chaulk

Long - N'Lundulu

Subs: Lewis, KWP, Tchaptchet, Jankewitz, Ferry, Watts, Walcott, Adams, Ings

Not a million miles away Trousers me ol' mucka

• Like 2

Cue rapid phoning of BT by family of Caleb. Kegs, and Dan. 

Great to see the youngsters be given a go. Their parents' will be gutted that they can't be there for their debut.

Hell I'm gutted I can't be there. Haven't missed a 3rd round for 54 years.

Hope for the best, but the team is in survival mode. No injuries or bookings please, 

Edited by macca155

Oh boy, one of those ‘on paper we should breeze this’ games. But as has been said, they’re on good form and will want to be the Prem team beaters. If Ralph has been able to get through to the youngsters...been able to drill the forwards...we should be too much, but there’s no guarantees in the Cup. The gulf is not as great as some might believe. 2-1 Saints but a really tough game.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Shrewsbury - Match Thread
  • stevegrant unpinned this topic