• Jake Vokins
    • Ibrahima Diallo
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Caleb Watts
    • Kgagole Chauke
    • Shane Long
    • Dan Nlundulu

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/01/21 at 21:00

Would be nice to progress but I’d give a few players a rest. For me:

Forster; KWP, Stephens, Salisu, Vokins; Diallo, Smallbone; Valery Walcott, N’Lundulu, Tella

*Since we’re so hit and miss with starting/locking these threads, we’ll try one build up/match/reaction thread to cover it all.

• Like 1

One Thread to rule them all, One thread to find them, One thread to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Professional performance please. They're seemingly not pulling up any trees but their results in December have been very good and now they have Cotterill as manager who is no mug. It's always nice to get one over a former Skate though.

I'd be going with: Forster, Valery, Stephens, Salisu, Vokins, JWP, Diallo, Tella, Armstong, Long, N'Lundulu if everyone is fit. That should be enough to progress and give squad players some game time, while resting KWP, Bednarek, Walcott, Ings et al.

Salisu is the big one I want to see - this is the perfect introductory match... and yet he didn't make the bench tonight. Weird. N'Lundulu too I'd like to see start the match.

--------------- Forster ---------------

Valery - Salisu - Stephens - Vokins

--------- Romeu ----- Diallo ----------

-- Tella -------------- Walcott --

--------- Adams ---- Long ------

Don't think he will start with too many younger players for this.

Edited by skintsaint

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

--------------- Forster ---------------

Valery - Salisu - Stephens - Vokins

--------- Romeu ----- Diallo ----------

-- Tella -------------- Walcott --

--------- Adams ---- Long ------

Don't think he will start with too many younger players for this.

I'd be very disappointed not to see Nlundulu get a start to show what he can actually do with some decent time on a pitch. 

Is this on TV?

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd be very disappointed not to see Nlundulu get a start to show what he can actually do with some decent time on a pitch. 

Is this on TV?

Yes 8pm Saturday, BT sport extra .

Shrewsbury had to postpone their last match due to positive covid tests so it will be interesting to see if this goes ahead. 

Makes sense to make several changes, crazy schedule coming up in Jan / Feb.

Play a reasonably strong side and make certain of the win because we have a genuine chance in the FA Cup this season and do not want to tempt an upset. Go strongly for the FA Cup because we can beat any side under Ralph. Don't make wholesale changes and risk messing up this opportunity.

• Like 2

Think I'd try and rest as many of the mainstays as possible, give them a week off in prep for the next league game.  Valery at RB worries me, but KWP must be knackered. Ideally give Theo a rest too, if Redmond is fit, but thin he's still injured.  Would like to see Tella and N'Lundulu given starts. Should still have too much for them.

Forster; Valery Stephens Salisu Vokins; Diallo Smallbone; Tella Walcott N'Lundulu Long

44 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think I'd try and rest as many of the mainstays as possible, give them a week off in prep for the next league game.  Valery at RB worries me, but KWP must be knackered. Ideally give Theo a rest too, if Redmond is fit, but thin he's still injured.  Would like to see Tella and N'Lundulu given starts. Should still have too much for them.

Forster; Valery Stephens Salisu Vokins; Diallo Smallbone; Tella Walcott N'Lundulu Long

Salisu is injured (again)

5 hours ago, JRM said:

Yes 8pm Saturday, BT sport extra .

Shrewsbury had to postpone their last match due to positive covid tests so it will be interesting to see if this goes ahead. 

Makes sense to make several changes, crazy schedule coming up in Jan / Feb.

Is BT sport extra available to all or just to BT customers?

31 minutes ago, LeG said:

Forster

Valery 

Salisu 

Stephens 

Vokins

Diallo

Romeu

Smallboner 

Chauke

Tella 

Nlundulu 

Bench in case it goes wrong

Lewis

Bednarek 

KWP

JWP

Adams

Ings 

Armstrong 

Long

ITK on Salisu & Romeu’s injuries?

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

I'd love to see Jankewitz start in midfield, he's been here a year now and bigged up at every opportunity! In the middle with JWP, who doesn't know the meaning of "being rested".

Can’t remember if he was missing from the b team recently or if he’s been in training pics.

Might be injured.

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Salisu is reported injured

3 hours ago, LeG said:

Forster

Valery 

Salisu 

Stephens 

Vokins

Diallo

Romeu

Smallboner 

Chauke

Tella 

Nlundulu 

Bench in case it goes wrong

Lewis

Bednarek 

KWP

JWP

Adams

Ings 

Armstrong 

Long

🤭😂

I'm undecided between leaving the first-teamers on the bench (a la LeG) and hoping they're not needed, OR playing a strong team for an hour, hopefully retiring them after an hour at 3-0 up, and letting the youngsters close out the game (per Teddee above). 🤔

Today I think I want to rest them, maybe on the day I'll want to play them.

I agree with resting players. I don't want to risk Ings from the start, but would have him on the bench.

Forster

Valery Stephens Bednarek/Salisu (if fit) Vokins

Diallo Smallbone

Armstrong Tella

Long N'lundulu

Subs: Lewis, KWP, Ramsey, JWP, Chauke, Walcott, Ings

Listen, we are not going to win the title or even get into the Champions League. People get drawn into this negative idea that you daren't risk key players in the FA Cup. The best we can hope for is Europa position and I'd take a good cup run over that especially as it could even lead to us winning it. There is no chance we will be relegated so why rest players for the league when, in reality, all we can hope is to finish between 8th and 12th. Go hard for the FA Cup and enjoy the excitement that will create.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Listen, we are not going to win the title or even get into the Champions League. People get drawn into this negative idea that you daren't risk key players in the FA Cup. The best we can hope for is Europa position and I'd take a good cup run over that especially as it could even lead to us winning it. There is no chance we will be relegated so why rest players for the league when, in reality, all we can hope is to finish between 8th and 12th. Go hard for the FA Cup and enjoy the excitement that will create.

Couldn’t agree more. Go for it and play the strongest team available.

• Like 1

Play the strongest team we have available. Take no precautions. The only change I would make is Vokins for Bertrand and Salisu for Bednarek if he is fit. 

Our next game isn’t even until the 16th- so they have one whole week to recover too.

Ultimately, top 6 teams have PL then European games midweek and play on fine- why should ours need a rest for a L1 team? 

Plus if we can race into a nice two goal lead- I think we get 5 subs for this one- then N’lundulu, Valery, Smallbone, Long and  one other ie. Tella or whoever can come on for the second half asap

How many subs can be named on the bench? I believe 6 subs can be used (5 during normal time and one in extra time, hopefully won't apply). Play the strongest team but with Forster in goal and maybe Diallo for Romeu given the latter was not fit enough for last night. Use subs as soon as comfortable or after 60 mins or so. Resting players is not an issue, we have a week after this before next game.  Starting XI: Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Diallo, JWP, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams, Ings. 

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Yep. We've shown that we can beat anyone on our day. Put out a strong team and have a proper cup run. I'd take a cup final over a few league places all day long. 

25 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The normal maxim is always play your strongest team but in this case it should be do just enough to get through. A cup run would give us a chance to give the less experienced players a run out and for the senior players to get over injuries.

Do just enough to get through and you run a big risk of not getting through. This playing a weakened side is a fairly recent idea. In the good old days when the FA Cup was taken seriously managers would not have dreamed of putting out anything but their strongest side because every team wanted to win the Cup.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Do just enough to get through and you run a big risk of not getting through. This playing a weakened side is a fairly recent idea. In the good old days when the FA Cup was taken seriously managers would not have dreamed of putting out anything but their strongest side because every team wanted to win the Cup.

That’s why you normally pack the bench with insurance. In the good old days there weren’t any substitutes.

Seen that tactic backfire many times. Start with a weakened side, go behind and it is sometimes very hard to get back the momentum. Go for the jugular in every cup tie and you might even win the thing. Go half hearted and you almost certainly won't.

• Like 2

I care a lot about the cup this year - and still think 6th or 7th is about the highest we can finish in the league.

But, that said, this is the sort of game where we need to blood in youngsters. If we don't trust Tella and N'Lundulu to play at home against a League One team from the start, then when do they get 90 minutes? Also worth giving Diallo, Long, Forster some game time. We need them on point, not rusty, for future games.

Yeah, it I guess it reduces our chances of winning from, say, 85% to 82%. But that's a price worth paying, even if you think the Cup is very important.

• Like 2

salisu is injured - it was in ralph's post game press conference.

we should be resting kwp bertrand and possibly jwp and ings. 

tella and nlundulu should play given how well they performed as subs in last. would also love to see jankewitz at some point this season but not even sure he is anywhere near. seems smallbone may be more likely to feature.

For once we have 5 days before and a clear week afterwards so should be OK to put out a full strength side, from those that are available. However this is the ideal match to bench some of the high intensity players like KWP, JWP, Bertrand, Walcott, Ings, Armstrong and assess their replacements. On balance though I think that somewhere in between with 3 of those listed will start and 3 on the bench.

The crunch comes a week later when we start a period of 7 games (if we progress in the cup) in 3 weeks against teams that will be challenging, this is when management of the team / squad will be vital.

Edited by M271
Added facts

13 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

We only need to put a side out to win 1 game against a team struggling in league 1. It would be totally unnecessary to play our strongest XI.

They might appear to be struggling if you take a glance at the league table but recently they've been anything but. New manager (ex-skate) last 6 games they've won 4 drawn 2 including away games to some of the sides at the top of the league. They seem to have mastered the 1-0 win. 

Let's see what the next round of covid testing reveals, Shrewsbury called their last game off due to positive tests so we might get a bye anyway. 

The fact we were forced into using Tella and Dan Llandudno against Liverpool it makes sense to use them in this, give them a chance to get some experience , we play Leicester, Leeds, Arsenal, Villa, Man Utd in a 17 day period, plus a potential 4th round tie. We need everyone fit for that. 

18 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Disagree totally with the importance you attach to the FA Cup.

This is the time to rest first team players and give the fringe youngsters a chance. 
We have a handful of players we need to offer first team experience to so that they are ready and available for league games when needed or to genuinely challenge the first team regulars.

This match is the perfect opportunity.

We should still role Shrewsbury over easily and also we don’t risk injury to our regulars. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Only if they don't have 14 players (including youth squads).

Yeah, like with City, Fulham etc. 

And don’t give it the “it’s a different competition” 

Premier League months ago said the same. 

Edited by Appy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, captainchris said:

Disagree totally with the importance you attach to the FA Cup.

This is the time to rest first team players and give the fringe youngsters a chance. 
We have a handful of players we need to offer first team experience to so that they are ready and available for league games when needed or to genuinely challenge the first team regulars.

This match is the perfect opportunity.

We should still role Shrewsbury over easily and also we don’t risk injury to our regulars. 

Tell me the most important event in our history that created enormous excitement at the time and will never be forgotten.