Danny Ings

sisi1992

Ings when fit is better than Armstrong. When fit he is better than most prem strikers. The thing is "when fit". Armstrong is comparable to Watkins in that he scored a similar number of goals (one more for Armstrong), has a similar playstyle, and is a similar age. Armstrong managed it in a worse side which is arguably more impressive.

Ings is a tonne better than Watkins imo but Watkins outscored Ings last season because he's fitter. Quality isn't everything, sometimes you need consistency. If next season Armstrong and Adams both get ~8-9 goals that's probably enough for safety if you look how much teams at the bottom score, especially when JWP can pitch in with 5 atleast, defenders with similar between them thanks to JWP's dead balls, Armstrong is good for a couple, and hopefully our new AM will be too.

The issue, as @Lighthouserightly pointed out, is fixing up our defence.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Let’s see who else we may ship out to raise funds and save on wages. 
there is still Lemina,Vestagaard,JWP being touted to leave and I suspect others on the periphery that may well still depart. 
accumulative savings may amount to being able to fill an extremely vital position. 
it’s early….don’t write anything off. 

But surely if Vesty and JWP go as well, the "savings" from them would need to be invested in their replacements, not added to a new striker pot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

He failed at Liverpool due to injuries, not due to being not good enough. He probably feels, fairly enough, now he's got the injuries under control he has one last chance to have a pop at winning a starting spot in a big side and winning something. I think it's very reasonable, if a bit shit for us.

Wouldnt say hes got the injuries completely under control, missed quite alot of games last season. Yes no serious injuries like before, but niggly ones which all add up. We also had to be very cautious with him and he only played 60-65 minutes for alot of games

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Wouldnt say hes got the injuries completely under control, missed quite alot of games last season. Yes no serious injuries like before, but niggly ones which all add up. We also had to be very cautious with him and he only played 60-65 minutes for alot of games

Oh I agree, I think he is still very injury plagued. I just think he might think his injuries are better. Often players are keen to play and say they are fine when they are not, ambition I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ings when fit is better than Armstrong. When fit he is better than most prem strikers. The thing is "when fit". Armstrong is comparable to Watkins in that he scored a similar number of goals (one more for Armstrong), has a similar playstyle, and is a similar age. Armstrong managed it in a worse side which is arguably more impressive.

Ings is a tonne better than Watkins imo but Watkins outscored Ings last season because he's fitter. Quality isn't everything, sometimes you need consistency. If next season Armstrong and Adams both get ~8-9 goals that's probably enough for safety if you look how much teams at the bottom score, especially when JWP can pitch in with 5 atleast, defenders with similar between them thanks to JWP's dead balls, Armstrong is good for a couple, and hopefully our new AM will be too.

The issue, as @Lighthouserightly pointed out, is fixing up our defence.

Or because he was playing in a better team with more creativity behind him. Ings was feeding of scraps and we relied on him to pull off some magic to score. 

Would Watkins have done as well at us, hard to say but I doubt it. 

Either or, unless we sign someone who can create chances in midfield, Armstrong, adams or whoever we end up with will struggle to score. the trouble is, neither of those mentioned have the ability to create something from nothing as Ings does and what they’ll likely need. 

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So how are we building a championship side? Is Perraud a championship player?

Having balanced attack from both sides may create more goals for our Championship attack not just via KWP?

If we keep Ings for that extra year see out contract what if cruciate goes again and we are stuck? His injury record last season wasn’t great and alongside Championship players will only get worse?

I would love him to sign again but he wants away don’t blame him last big pay day .

Who knows. None of us have seen him Play or how he’ll Adapt to English football. 

Signs look positive, but let’s reserve judgement until we actually see him in the flesh. He could be a salisu who looks up to it, or he could be a djenepo who doesn’t. 

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

Or because he was playing in a better team with more creativity behind him. Ings was feeding of scraps and we relied on him to pull off some magic to score. 

Would Watkins have done as well at us, hard to say but I doubt it. 

Either or, unless we sign someone who can create chances in midfield, Armstrong, adams or whoever we end up with will struggle to score. the trouble is, neither of those mentioned have the ability to create something from nothing as Ings does and what they’ll likely need. 

I think there is a good chance we'll get an attacking mid in too. In a way this could make us a lot more balanced and less one player dependant if we roll Ings and Vest out for £40m+ and bring in a £5m CB/loan (promote Salisu), a £20m attacking mid, and a £15m Adam Armstrong. Salisu is better defensively anyway than Vest and we don't need his massive crossfield balls as much if we have quality attacking mid and Perraud to progress play. 

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I think there is a good chance we'll get an attacking mid in too. In a way this could make us a lot more balanced and less one player dependant if we roll Ings and Vest out for £40m+ and bring in a £5m CB/loan (promote Salisu), a £20m attacking mid, and a £15m Adam Armstrong. Salisu is better defensively anyway than Vest and we don't need his massive crossfield balls as much if we have quality attacking mid and Perraud to progress play. 

Our lack of quality in Midfield / no10 is a real concern. Something I’ve been calling out for a while and something we need to address. 

Other than S.Armstrong, we lack any real quality behind the striker. Minamino showed small glimpses, but nowhere near enough. 

Vestergaard going isn’t a huge concern for me, I’d rather we sold and reinvested. I still Think we’re a striker short though. 

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

Our lack of quality in Midfield / no10 is a real concern. Something I’ve been calling out for a while and something we need to address. 

Other than S.Armstrong, we lack any real quality behind the striker. Minamino showed small glimpses, but nowhere near enough. 

Vestergaard going isn’t a huge concern for me, I’d rather we sold and reinvested. I still Think we’re a striker short though. 

Agree on Vestergard easily replaced we conceded over 60+ goals last season that’s where we are weak . Stephens , Vest and Bednarek needs to be improved upon…as well as goalkeepers but with very little money we have to sell likes of Vest .

• Like 1

If Ings leaves this summer the odds on us being relegated will increase alot. Can't expect his replacement to replace the goals we will lose especially given our budget restrictions and fee we are likely to command for Ings. I'm with the club's stance, let him see out his contract but get his replacement in this summer to he isn't thrown straight into the deep end. Rather write off £20m than face the cost of relegation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

If Ings leaves this summer the odds on us being relegated will increase alot. Can't expect his replacement to replace the goals we will lose especially given our budget restrictions and fee we are likely to command for Ings. I'm with the club's stance, let him see out his contract but get his replacement in this summer to he isn't thrown straight into the deep end. Rather write off £20m than face the cost of relegation. 

What if Ings gets injured again and stuck with him high wages no return?

28 minutes ago, SKD said:

Dragowski
                                         Macca

KWP                  Bednarek              Salisu                Perraud
Williams             Stephens             Loan CB            Williams/Stephens/Loan CB

JWP                      Romeu
                          Diallo                    Jank/Smallbone

Armstrong                             Danjuma/New AM
                Walcott                                  Djenepo

Adams                 A. Armstrong
                         Tella                     Redmond

That could be our team if we sell well and sign players around their value. For me I think that is a comfortable midtable side. A lot more well balanced than what we had last season. Weak spots in striker depth and RCB but nothing glaring. The whole team can't all be amazing.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

If Danny attracts the right money the options to replace him could be Abraham on loan ( if Ings goes to Chelsea)

Free Agent Giroud will still get goals - ok not our usual deal with older players but surely worth a punt

Both would be way beyond our wage structure (Giroud will get offers from top CL clubs so not a chance we'll be in the mix). Still think Ings will be here until next season unless we get an offer of around £25m which I cant see. If we can pick up Armstrong now and he has a season alternating with Ings/Adams it would be great. We then would have Jan and next summer windows to identify another striking option. If we let Ings leave now we honestly need two strikers this window to make up for the shortfall. There is a big risk neither hit the ground running and could be the difference between relegation and survival.

Its a unique situation.

I still think Ings, with his injury record and at his age is a risk bigger teams might not want to take at 25-30m. 

I'm a little surprised we were offering a 4 year contract rather than a 3, it's a big statement to try and make him our highest paid player with the risk of his knee relapsing.

He's clearly good enough for a place at a team competing for the top 6, we've been lucky to have him relatively injury free for the last few years.

I'm not convinced he'll end up leaving yet, at least this summer

• Like 2

The challenge is to get him sold on our terms and our timeframe.

He's basically the back up signing for Spurs or Arsenal or whoever needs a panic buy at the end of August. Whatever higher level hes thinking of, he's not their main focus. He's no one's priority signing.

So, If we can't get in a position to sign his replacement before he goes then it will (at best) wreck our pre season prep or (at worst) leave us lumbered with Obafemi and Adams until January.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

McCarthy, Stephens, Adams, Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi, N'Lundulu, Long, Elyounoussi

Not an extensive list then! Of that list only McCarthy, Adams and Redmond are likely starters.

Adams in particular and Redmond are both a class above Championship level players. Redmond of course is frustratingly inconsistent, but on form he is a useful PL player.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

McCarthy, Stephens, Adams, Redmond, Djenepo, Obafemi, N'Lundulu, Long, Elyounoussi

Adams is well above Championship level, as shown by his 20+ goal season in a struggling side, plus a 14 goal contribution prem season despite limited minutes is a perfectly acceptable return for a midtable forward. Redmond is way above championship level, he battered Bournemouth, he just is unreliable against PL opposition hence why he is more a rotation option now being used to fill in gaps like at LWB or as a forward when Ings was injured. Stephens, McCarthy and Djenepo are perfectly good enough premier league back ups.

Elyounoussi had a great season in Scotland which is above championship level, Long and N'lundulu are championship level or below but they don't even make the bench for us when all are fit and are almost certainly half way out the door.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

BBC Sport understands the former Liverpool and Burnley player accepts he might need to wait until his contract expires.

I think this is the best solution. Being a Saints fan, he won't begrudge another season I hope and it will allow for a period of transition. We need to get his replacement this summer though and perhaps allow Ings to mentor whoever they may be.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

BBC Sport understands the former Liverpool and Burnley player accepts he might need to wait until his contract expires.

Which means he's one duff and/or injury hit season away from being out of contract and having none of the sides he's thinking of being interested in him (especially as he'll be 29 by then). It could be risky on his part and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The best case for Saints, other than him having a complete change of heart, is he has a stellar season before he goes and we get a year to find and bed in his replacement...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Basically, if someone wants him now they're gonna have to pay what we want. If Levy gets £100m for Kane and comes calling stick another £10m on.

• Like 1

Taking the emotion away from it, the worst outcome for Saints is surely to allow him to leave on a free.

Considering we need to sell to buy, and have already had to replace Bertrand without receiving a fee for him, I can't see the club missing out on £20-£25m for the sake of one additional season.

The problem is that we have no real bargaining power, and will need to replace him so selling at the end of the window would be awful timing as we know from experience we won't sign a replacement until Ings has actually gone.

Best case would be a club comes in now with a sensible offer and it just gets done quickly. Same with Vestergaard.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Basically, if someone wants him now they're gonna have to pay what we want. If Levy gets £100m for Kane and comes calling stick another £10m on.

That won't happen though - you know we will roll over like a puppy dog as soon as an offer is receieved......... 

Remember what happened when Hojbjerg made it clear he wasn't signing a new deal last year? Or Bertrand this year? They were both frozen out. 

I'm interested to see how Ralph approaches this one. He seems to be an "all in," or "all out," kind of manager. 

Just now, Neef said:

Remember what happened when Hojbjerg made it clear he wasn't signing a new deal last year? Or Bertrand this year? They were both frozen out. 

I'm interested to see how Ralph approaches this one. He seems to be an "all in," or "all out," kind of manager. 

Was only the last few games in fairness.  If Ings stays, he'll be in the team the whole season until we're safe, as he's our best player.  Might try another option once we're safe though.

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Taking the emotion away from it, the worst outcome for Saints is surely to allow him to leave on a free.

Considering we need to sell to buy, and have already had to replace Bertrand without receiving a fee for him, I can't see the club missing out on £20-£25m for the sake of one additional season.

The problem is that we have no real bargaining power, and will need to replace him so selling at the end of the window would be awful timing as we know from experience we won't sign a replacement until Ings has actually gone.

Best case would be a club comes in now with a sensible offer and it just gets done quickly. Same with Vestergaard.

Totally agree. I think that the only bargaining power that we may have is that there does appear to be a number of clubs interested in him which could drive the price up. 

Hojberg went cheap because it seems that he made it clear that he only wanted to go to Spurs - hopefully that can be avoided this time. I'd certainly bite the hand of anyone offering close to £25m. 

Shit to have it confirmed, but then he wouldn’t be anywhere near us if he didn’t have the injury problems. He’s a clear level above us and one of the best strikes in the league when fully fit. I thought being his hometown club and having already tasted the top and finding out that it isn’t too rosy may have given us some hope in negotiations, but not to be.

Getting the replacement right is the most important thing now.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

We wanted £35m for hojbjerg.

£20m would do it, IMO.

Who are we going to get in that's gonna score enough to keep us up? Anyone we did get in would need time to adjust to the team and we are in real danger of another repeat of last season but without the good start 

• Like 1

Got to wonder if his heart will be in it seeing out his contract , not wanting to be here or get injured. 

He's probably feeling bitter sat at home in his Pyjamas watching England thinking that should be him. 

9 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Well Brighton stayed up with a top scored who got less goals than JWP or Che, I like the idea of Armstrong from Blackburn and 12 months to bed in before we let Danny go.

Brighton have a defence consisting of Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Lamptey and White with Bissouma shielding them, though.

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Who are we going to get in that's gonna score enough to keep us up? Anyone we did get in would need time to adjust to the team and we are in real danger of another repeat of last season but without the good start 

He was only about three league goals ahead of Adams last season. As much as we all like to circle jerk over how good he is, fitness will probably limit his contribution again next season.

Our problem is not drawing a blank without Ings, we've even won comfortably at Stamford Bridge with him absent. Our problems are coaching and psychological. Losing 9-0 twice in 15 months, with dozens of games scattered around that where we've thrown away points after the 85th minute, is something I'm far more concerned about addressing than finding a 20 goal a season striker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

We wanted £35m for hojbjerg.

£20m would do it, IMO.

According to another link you posted, it looks like we are asking £20m for Vestergaard. If that's the case, I really can't see us accepting anything less than £35m for Ings - nor should we.

Plus, on this occasion (unlike Hojberg last summer) I actually believe Danny when he says he only wants to leave to play 'at a higher level' - i.e. at a club in with a shout a regularly being in the CL. Therefore, unless Utd, City, Liverpool or Chelsea are willing to pay what we want this summer I can see him staying for the coming season. Of course, there will always be a possibility of him moving on in January if one of them suddenly have a need at that point in time. In the meantime, Danny may pick up an odd niggle or 2 and decide his long term future would be best served by signing a new deal with us.

Optimistic? Maybe (I usually am). However, not unbelievable IMO. The club know we can't replace him at £20m. For £35m we can get 2 replacements (Armstrong + probably someone not even on our radar) neither of whom are as good right now, but with potential to be of an adequate level for a mid-prem club.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Minsk said:

According to another link you posted, it looks like we are asking £20m for Vestergaard. If that's the case, I really can't see us accepting anything less than £35m for Ings - nor should we.

Plus, on this occasion (unlike Hojberg last summer) I actually believe Danny when he says he only wants to leave to play 'at a higher level' - i.e. at a club in with a shout a regularly being in the CL. Therefore, unless Utd, City, Liverpool or Chelsea are willing to pay what we want this summer I can see him staying for the coming season. Of course, there will always be a possibility of him moving on in January if one of them suddenly have a need at that point in time. In the meantime, Danny may pick up an odd niggle or 2 and decide his long term future would be best served by signing a new deal with us.

Optimistic? Maybe (I usually am). However, not unbelievable IMO. The club know we can't replace him at £20m. For £35m we can get 2 replacements (Armstrong + probably someone not even on our radar) neither of whom are as good right now, but with potential to be of an adequate level for a mid-prem club.

I really hope this is true. But I can't help than feel if West Ham/Everton come in close to the deadline then he'll go.

Why does everyone think that because Ings has turned down the 4 year deal then that means he is going to leave? Did the offer include the words "take it or leave it"? Away from the Athletic headline it is reported that Danny "accepts he might need to wait until his contract expires." Personally don't see any reason that he wouldn't sign a new contract, if any Club knows what signing a new contract means to whether a player leaves or not it should be Southampton and our "fans". If someone else wants him and is prepared to pay big money then whether he is on a one year contract or 4 years makes bugger all difference, just ask Mr van Dijk. Interesting too that everyone believes 100% in this because its in the Athletic. Why? I suspect Saints are reasonably confident that they can get Danny to sign a new contract following some more negotiations, possibly after the transfer window closes, I bet its not as cut and dried as the Athletic are making out. After Ralph has said all along that he expects Danny to still be at Southampton this season, don't think he would have said that if he didn't have a fair idea of the way the wind was blowing. I remain confident that Ingsy will play for Saints next season, just like I think JWP will as well.

• Like 3

Putting my football heart to one side. It's very bad business to allow him to walk next summer. It would b eOK, if you had a never ending supply of money from an oil rich owner, but not if you are being run on a self-financed basis as we are.

On a pure business level, we simply must replace him now using whatever monies we can get for him this summer. 12 months down the line, we will still need to replace and have £0 monies coming in to help fund that replacement. Kicking the problem down the line, is not a good option.

It's all very well saying his goals will keep us up, but what about next season? We are just delaying the inevitable. The club know this and the buying clubs know this.  Our poker face is gonna have to be amazing otherwise he's gone for a snip as Hoj was.

I'm not sure what that means in terms of his actual resale value right now, but it's gonna be much less than we (on here) all hope.

If we keep him, what is that solution next season? Is Amstrong gonna still be at Blackburn and then available on a free next season? If we'd sold him for £25m and spent it all on say Patson Daka, it may have been a seamless transition. It may not have worked, but at least it would have been an attempted solution.

30 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Why does everyone think that because Ings has turned down the 4 year deal then that means he is going to leave? Did the offer include the words "take it or leave it"? Away from the Athletic headline it is reported that Danny "accepts he might need to wait until his contract expires." Personally don't see any reason that he wouldn't sign a new contract, if any Club knows what signing a new contract means to whether a player leaves or not it should be Southampton and our "fans". If someone else wants him and is prepared to pay big money then whether he is on a one year contract or 4 years makes bugger all difference, just ask Mr van Dijk. Interesting too that everyone believes 100% in this because its in the Athletic. Why? I suspect Saints are reasonably confident that they can get Danny to sign a new contract following some more negotiations, possibly after the transfer window closes, I bet its not as cut and dried as the Athletic are making out. After Ralph has said all along that he expects Danny to still be at Southampton this season, don't think he would have said that if he didn't have a fair idea of the way the wind was blowing. I remain confident that Ingsy will play for Saints next season, just like I think JWP will as well.

The story that came out today is not a one suggesting we are still negotiating with him. There's clearly some closure within the story - he is not signing an extension this summer. That's it. That's why the story is out there. David Ornstein is not some mug.

Honestly if you are still working under the assumption that "i don't see any reason why he wouldn’t sign a new contract" then you are going to be disappointed.

Everything else is up for grabs = who he goes to, how much they pay and when it happens. I find it highly unlikely that we'd let him run his contract down. 

Edited by CB Fry

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Putting my football heart to one side. It's very bad business to allow him to walk next summer. It would b eOK, if you had a never ending supply of money from an oil rich owner, but not if you are being run on a self-financed basis as we are.

On a pure business level, we simply must replace him now using whatever monies we can get for him this summer. 12 months down the line, we will still need to replace and have £0 monies coming in to help fund that replacement. Kicking the problem down the line, is not a good option.

It's all very well saying his goals will keep us up, but what about next season? We are just delaying the inevitable. The club know this and the buying clubs know this.  Our poker face is gonna have to be amazing otherwise he's gone for a snip as Hoj was.

I'm not sure what that means in terms of his actual resale value right now, but it's gonna be much less than we (on here) all hope.

If we keep him, what is that solution next season? Is Amstrong gonna still be at Blackburn and then available on a free next season? If we'd sold him for £25m and spent it all on say Patson Daka, it may have been a seamless transition. It may not have worked, but at least it would have been an attempted solution.

Unlike some of the more optimistic posters on here I don't believe that if he isn't going to sign an extension that there is a chance in hell that he will stay for 12 months until his contract runs down. I'm pretty sure it is us stating our negotiating position so that other teams don't think that they can get him for a give away price, but the reality of the situation is that £20m+ is a huge sum of money for a club like Saints and we'll accept what we can get - I think the question will be whether he leaves soon, or right at the end of this window when other teams (plus us) become more desperate to bring someone in.  I hope sooner rather than later, but you don't always get what you want ..... 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings