Danny Ings

sisi1992

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

It’s not though, is it? He’s either left for financial reasons, or he’s left because villa are are better club. 

Either is pretty concerning. 

Why are they concerning? Club A has more money than Club B, therefore Club A become a more attractive proposition for a player.

It happens at every level of the game, all the way down to Wessex League.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Why are they concerning? Club A has more money than Club B, therefore Club A become a more attractive proposition for a player.

It happens at every level of the game, all the way down to Wessex League.

It highlights our inability to compete in this league. 

But read the context, always was saying how do I know we didn’t do what villa done and try to keep him (I.e matching offer). 

Just now, SKD said:

But read the context, always was saying how do I know we didn’t do what villa done and try to keep him (I.e matching offer). 

It highlights our inability to compete with a club that has a load more money. 

If the Athletic article is true we offered him a longer deal that was overall more money. No idea if it is correct though, and only a handful of people on the planet would have been proxy to the intricate details of the individual offers. Anyone else is just guessing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SKD said:

No it doesn't. You can still compete after selling players, we got better after Pochettino and players left in 2014 so it can be done. Villa are about to sell a player for £100m and rich owners investing. Not every Premier League club has the money Villa do.

You have to bear in mind the fact we have as a club decided to cash in and accept the offer. I never ever thought we would go into his last year of his contract so we were looking to take the money.

I don’t think for a second that Ings was anticipating that he would end up at a club like Villa: all the noise was about him testing himself at a higher level than that.

But from SFC's point of view we don't give a fuck about that - if Villa offer an acceptable bid, we accept it and get him gone. Its not our problem that Villa aren't a CL club.

Let's see: in five years time we may learn that this transfer was similar to when we signed Kevin Phillips: He always says how he never really wanted to join us and he was never really happy. This might end up the same.

Ings and Villa have been thrown together, we've got our money. Let's hope we spend it well.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

sounds like even the players didn’t know this was coming. I can see a few (JWP etc.) being pretty pissed off with this. 

Why would they be pissed off? It was obvious he was going and I'm sure he'd told his teammates as much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

sounds like even the players didn’t know this was coming. I can see a few (JWP etc.) being pretty pissed off with this. 

Us selling a player that everyone knew we were going to sell must have come like a bolt out of the blue, it really must have shocked them to the core.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why are you writing him off due to the league he plays in? Ings also used to be a Championship striker and didn't score as many goals as Armstrong just did in it.

Once bitten, twice shy? Or are you happy with Ché Adams leading the line?

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Us selling a player that everyone knew we were going to sell must have come like a bolt out of the blue, it really must have shocked them to the core.

The shock is in the club he has joined. Clearly. 

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Why would that piss players off?

Funnily enough they're not you.

If a player (JWP in this case) is linked to X club and your current clubs best player (and close friend) joins X club, do you not think that’d make you more inclined to join them as well? 

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

We had a great view of the non playing squad members in Itchen Stand and could see the moment when they learned just before kick off.  Lots of surprised faces, club secretary came up to chat to some about 15 mins before kick off so I do believe those in the starting line up knew nothing.  But Long definitely knew just before kick off and his face was a picture!

1 minute ago, SKD said:

If a player (JWP in this case) is linked to X club and your current clubs best player (and close friend) joins X club, do you not think that’d make you more inclined to join them as well? 

How do you know he is a close friend and not just a 'work colleague'?

People I worked with have gone on to join more impressive organisations, some could argue sideways in some situations, but I wasn't pissed off because most people don't think like that. You're happy for them, but it doesn't automatically mean that you are going to force a move yourself.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

How do you know he is a close friend and not just a 'work colleague'?

People I worked with have gone on to join more impressive organisations, some could argue sideways in some situations, but I wasn't pissed off because most people don't think like that. You're happy for them, but it doesn't automatically mean that you are going to force a move yourself.

Sorry, close football friend. 

Lets not go down that route of comparing footballers to usual jobs. 

If your colleague left for a bigger organisation and that company approached you with a pay rise promising a better future, would would go? 

Edited by SKD

29 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it doesn't. You can still compete after selling players, we got better after Pochettino and players left in 2014 so it can be done. Villa are about to sell a player for £100m and rich owners investing. Not every Premier League club has the money Villa do.

Semmens said that we couldn't compete with the likes of Everton and Villa, so not sure why any surprise when he leaves for one of those clubs

13 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

Saints discard Danny Ings aged 13 like an empty bag of crisps for being too small. I went to school with Danny and the way the club went about it was not nice.

But he owes us loyalty or something...Our fanbase are hilarious at times. For the money he's on, I'd quite happily ditch Saints for Pompey. It's a business, clubs are employers and fans are customers. It's been that way for a VERY long time (long before the PL came into being despite popular belief). Far too many fans are unhappy because they expect players to have the same affection for clubs that they do but they don't and even if a player did have that affection (as I mentioned above), it'd still be pretty hard to turn down.

Danny has a family to think of and has to do what's right for them. Yes he's probably set for life but why not set his kids up too? And once he's managed that, set his grand children up as well?

The fact that Villa have payed this much for Ings with his injury record and contract situation means that he must have had a great time with us, and he has done! I have no issues with players/managers using us as a stepping stone because it means they'll have to do well. Do we really want to be making signings for players who see Saints as the absolute top of their career?

Ings was under contract, another employer has paid a damn good amount of money to get him out of it so they can employ him and we've accepted. In reality, we'd all be whinging if we hadn't accepted.

Wish Danny all the best (except against us) but no player is bigger than the club.

Thanks, I needed to read something like this.

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

Like I say, funnily enough they're not you.

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

I thought it was 3 years with an optional 4th based on performance 

Fair enough, I didn’t realise there was an option. That optional 4th year would make the difference. Total £4.16m more from their contract if that happens. That’s without any sign on fee or bonuses too.

To be fair they are more likely to be pushing towards top 6 with him than we would have been. If only goal line technology was working when it mattered. They have had some fortune to get where there are today.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Buendia is a serious player. Bailey is also supposed to be very good. Ings will get decent service and will probably score 20 goals again. 

I think they’re a CB short of a very good team. 

Annoyingly you're not wrong, an upgrade on Ming's and they're a side whose quality is up there with Leicester. 

Strength in depth will be a real problem though.

13 hours ago, Instant Classic said:

Saints discard Danny Ings aged 13 like an empty bag of crisps for being too small. I went to school with Danny and the way the club went about it was not nice.

But he owes us loyalty or something...Our fanbase are hilarious at times. For the money he's on, I'd quite happily ditch Saints for Pompey. It's a business, clubs are employers and fans are customers. It's been that way for a VERY long time (long before the PL came into being despite popular belief). Far too many fans are unhappy because they expect players to have the same affection for clubs that they do but they don't and even if a player did have that affection (as I mentioned above), it'd still be pretty hard to turn down.

Danny has a family to think of and has to do what's right for them. Yes he's probably set for life but why not set his kids up too? And once he's managed that, set his grand children up as well?

The fact that Villa have payed this much for Ings with his injury record and contract situation means that he must have had a great time with us, and he has done! I have no issues with players/managers using us as a stepping stone because it means they'll have to do well. Do we really want to be making signings for players who see Saints as the absolute top of their career?

Ings was under contract, another employer has paid a damn good amount of money to get him out of it so they can employ him and we've accepted. In reality, we'd all be whinging if we hadn't accepted.

Wish Danny all the best (except against us) but no player is bigger than the club.

Very much agree with this.

How many of us were honestly happy we had Ings just 2 years ago when his impact was pretty low in his first season IIRC.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I dont know how much Abraham would cost, but surely it would be best to buy rather than loan so that once he has pulled up stumps we can sell him to buy another. He would be more committed if a permanent signing

Just now, OldNick said:

I dont know how much Abraham would cost, but surely it would be best to buy rather than loan so that once he has pulled up stumps we can sell him to buy another. He would be more committed if a permanent signing

He'd likely cost an absolute fortune...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12293566/tammy-abraham-david-moyes-says-40m-price-tag-for-chelsea-striker-would-rule-west-ham-out-of-transfer

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yes, as long as we sign another striker.

Plus we weren't 'bitten' by signing Adams, he had a decent goal return last season and his hold up and link up play is superb.

I admire your positivity but I think you are under estimating what a loss Ings will be. For a while now we've looked half the team when he is not in the side, it's not just his goals but his movement and the threat he carries.

Even if we do well in the transfer market (big if) we will be lucky to be as good as last season IMO.

Edited by aintforever

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

£40m is hardly a fortune considering someone has just been sold for 30m

It's quite a lot for a player they clearly don't want or have much intention of playing, who is likely to slip even further down the pecking order because they want Lukaku.  Also for one who is good, but ultimately only has 26 PL goals in 87 appearances. 

Anyone thinking we are going to spend all £30m on players is surely deluded. There’s the money to Liverpool for their % and then we’re in bad shape financially. Once we sell Vestergaard we might see some money spent on players but my guess would be £60m in (including the low level sales) and £25m out, perhaps with some loans. 

Someone mentioned Long’s reaction amongst the players. What sort of reaction was that as although people seem to discount player reactions or emotions, they are important for team spirit and overall feeling of being in a club doing well, or one that is on the ropes. 

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

It's quite a lot for a player they clearly don't want or have much intention of playing, who is likely to slip even further down the pecking order because they want Lukaku.  Also for one who is good, but ultimately only has 26 PL goals in 87 appearances. 

Given ings was sold for 30m, that kind of sets the benchmark. Is Tammy better than ings? I’m not so sure, but he’ll certainly command a higher fee. 

If we hold our nerve and he’s still available towards the end of the window, then I reckon may 35m could do it. 

We should look at a loan with the option to buy in a similar vain to ings (I.e if we stay up we’re obliged to pay the fee). 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Given ings was sold for 30m, that kind of sets the benchmark. Is Tammy better than ings? I’m not so sure, but he’ll certainly command a higher fee. 

If we hold our nerve and he’s still available towards the end of the window, then I reckon may 35m could do it. 

We should look at a loan with the option to buy in a similar vain to ings (I.e if we stay up we’re obliged to pay the fee). 

I can guarantee you we will not be spending £35m on Tammy Abraham this window. Even if we sell Vest and JWP on top of the Ings money. 

Hell would freeze over before our board would sanction that kind of transfer fee.

Supposedly Villa are paying Ings £120,000 a week - so he's partly gone for the money. 

I think he realised none of the big 4 clubs were going to sign him and Spurs weren't going to pay the fee Saints wanted or meet his wage demands.  So when Villa came up with the money on both counts he jumped at it.

I think he's also gone to club which he thinks are showing some ambition to push for the top 6 and Europe - and may have a chance at winning something.  Rather than stay at Saints for another relegation battle - which is all too likely with or without Ings. 

He probably also thought he has more change of making the England squad for the world cup at Villa than Saints (as per Mings and Grealish).

I was a bit unsure about us making him our highest paid player on £100,000 a week given his age and injury record.  And we got a good fee for him given both those things as well.

I am still a bit disappointed in Ings leaving us though - as supposedly he was a fan - but in his place I may have done the same thing.

The real issue for me is how we replace him.  Armstrong would be a start but we shouldn't overpay for him.  But even if we sign Armstrong we need another striker as we can't rely on Long, Adams and Obafemi to score the rest of the goals we need to stay up.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I can guarantee you we will not be spending £35m on Tammy Abraham this window. Even if we sell Vest and JWP on top of the Ings money. 

Hell would freeze over before our board would sanction that kind of transfer fee.

Nothing to do with the board, let's be fair here.

They provide Ralph all of the money they can within the constraints they are ordered to operate in.

So no, we won't be spending £35m because we don't have £35m. We have about 20-25m in the bank from Ings, no more than that I wouldn't have thought. We have to make that spread around a bit.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Nothing to do with the board, let's be fair here.

They provide Ralph all of the money they can within the constraints they are ordered to operate in.

So no, we won't be spending £35m because we don't have £35m. We have about 20-25m in the bank from Ings, no more than that I wouldn't have thought. We have to make that spread around a bit.

Fair enough. I should have said before the board would be allowed to sanction it.

16 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Anyone thinking we are going to spend all £30m on players is surely deluded. There’s the money to Liverpool for their % and then we’re in bad shape financially. Once we sell Vestergaard we might see some money spent on players but my guess would be £60m in (including the low level sales) and £25m out, perhaps with some loans. 

Someone mentioned Long’s reaction amongst the players. What sort of reaction was that as although people seem to discount player reactions or emotions, they are important for team spirit and overall feeling of being in a club doing well, or one that is on the ropes. 

We haven't had a positive net spend window in years and the club have said we can use what we make, if we end with a +£35m net spend I'll be astounded 

Edited by TWar

17 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

He flung down his shirt and seemed to mouth something like "What the fuck is going on? I'm done with this rabble!"

• Haha 4

Looking at it another way, I think we were lucky to have signed someone of his quality in the first place, he definitely made a big difference to us when on form. I don't expect a similar replacement TBH. Of the players we have left only Tella exites me, we could be in for another grind this season. Regarding the choice of club, it's only ever about the money, no top 6 club offers came in (Spurs?) so he went to the latest lottery winners. Villa is certainly a sideways move without Jack, at least he can't patronise SFC by saying he wanted CL football !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We won't be getting that after deductions don't forget Liverpool had a high sell on clause 

Not really, as Liverpool only get £2m of the £30m. Saints get £28m.

20% of the £10m profit Saints made = £2m.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ings-liverpool-millions-breaking-21229132

Edited by Matthew Le God

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings