Danny Ings

sisi1992

Disappointing that he has gone to Villa, and not the CL club he said he wanted.

But it's decent money, and I do have confidence that we'll reinvest wisely.

Besides, we've seen the best of Ings. Face the truth: that hairline is dissolving rapidly.

• Haha 2

Just now, bpsaint said:

No short term about it - Villa are a bigger club then we could ever hope to be.

If bigger due to history and trophies won, then yes for sure.

But this is a debate that is so subjective that to go into it would detract from the real story of Ings leaving.

I would argue our payroll is still greater than Aston Villas too, irrespective of comparing highest paid player for each club. 

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

If bigger due to history and trophies won, then yes for sure.

But this is a debate that is so subjective that to go into it would detract from the real story of Ings leaving.

I would argue our payroll is still greater than Aston Villas too, irrespective of comparing highest paid player for each club. 

Bigger history, trophies, size etc. But finances play a big part in the here and now. And they, as well as pretty much 18 other clubs in this league, are bigger than us financially and can do more financially. That's why our scouting has got to be shit hot so we can continue to compete until we get new ownership.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kitch said:

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by that, and I have to say I never thought I'd dislike the bloke, but that is a dick move. Even Spurs would have made more sense, especially with Kane leaving etc. This is purely money-based, nothing else.

Honestly, this one hurts. Even Liverpool would have hurt less! He's basically fucked off his hometown club for a few extra quid. Had the chance to become a legend at the club that picked him up and rebuilt him, and chose the money.

Fuck him.

It’s not a dick move at all.  Surprising certainly, but we accepted a bid, he decided to sign. 

I wish him well in 36 games next season!

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why I see these comments now. Think we're still scared by the Reed and Wilson years, but I honestly think the scouting has gone up notches now. This is the first time they've had genuine money to play with, so let's see if my optimism is justified!

Lots of value in French league

• Like 1

Think 30 million is too good an amount for a player that would have only played half the season and then left for nothing…Good move for Ings as he would certainly earn significantly more than we could pay him. Sorry for him he couldn’t have got to one of the top teams playing in Europe but they don’t need to risk buying a crocked player. at least he will have his money to look back on when he stops playing. We need to be clever with his replacement Armstrong will strengthen us but we do need to replace Ings as well

would really  not like to lose Prowse as he is a fantastic player but if he wants to go and went for 50 million you would hope 80 million would give us a better season.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Wow. Where will the goals come from? Have to say that’s a big impact on our final standings. Relegation feels closer

It's like people feel we've sold someone and automatically won't replace.

I always thought this was the best move and probably the only move we could make. We keep him a year, he goes on a free, we then have £0 to replace him with.

Or we bit the bullet now, get a decent fee, and get the player we want. And we've done the latter. I think it's all we can do in our situation and we just need to make sure we can make ourselves somewhat stronger.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Bigger history, trophies, size etc. But finances play a big part in the here and now. And they, as well as pretty much 18 other clubs in this league, are bigger than us financially and can do more financially. That's why our scouting has got to be shit hot so we can continue to compete until we get new ownership.

Agreed, although not all 18 clubs are bigger than us financially!

I'm pretty sure our wage bill is still top 12 in the PL. I mean sure we haven't spent a significant amount on 1 player like so many other clubs have but in terms of wages we can definitely compete with teams from 12-20.

Lots of people relying out the scouting and recruitment department spending that money wisely.. of which we’ll spend probably a third of it.

Despite injuries, he’s 1 in 2 for us goals to apps. 

30m less the sell on for a quick buck and hope that Tella becomes Mane MKII… or 250m cost of relegation.

clown club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

one thing is for sure, I bet that reported £30m starts to come down over the coming hours/days.

Also, i bet his value to saints (on the pitch) get more and more diminished by our fans.  Tis always thus.

In fairness, every quality player we've sold - VVD, Mane, Lallana, Lambert, Pelle, Wanyama etc - we've been told we'll get relegated afterwards. 

They were all important players, but we adapted and moved on. No reason we can't do the same now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

Lots of people relying out the scouting and recruitment department spending that money wisely.. of which we’ll spend probably a third of it.

30m less the sell on for a quick buck and hope that Tella becomes Mane MKII… or 250m cost of relegation.

clown club.

Brilliant post. 

Clown poster. 

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Most teams in this league survive without a 20 goal a season striker. Ings only scored 3 goals more than Adams last season. We'll be fine.

Very true. I remember the hooha about signing a crock for £20 million a few years ago. Players come and go. He was certainly a good player and a class above a lot of other strikers we’ve had but he was no Rickie Lambert. Let’s hope we come up with another gem. Just the glorious merry go round that is supporting Saints.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

clown club.

Not a clown club, but clown ownership - yes. The club are having to make the best of this shity ownership situation in order to try to remain competitive. Not sure what you expect us to do to be honest. £30m for someone with a year left is just a no brainer in my eyes. Letting him go for free would have been 100 times worse.

I have more confidence in the scouting now than I did under Wilson, we've picked up some gems like Diallo, KWP, Salisu who are more in line with what we used to buy....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

one thing is for sure, I bet that reported £30m starts to come down over the coming hours/days.

Also, i bet his value to saints (on the pitch) get more and more diminished by our fans.  Tis always thus.

Don’t forget unlike any other club we have to pay signing on fees,  bonuses, agent fees and NI contributions so it’s unrealistic to expect us to spend more than half the money taking all that into account!

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It's already down to £25m, less the bin dipper's cut...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58093362

Edited by Weston Super Saint

Good business all in all.

Tottenham would have fucked us around until the final hours of the transfer window and then paid £20m.

Also, villa really don't need Ings. To spend that money with that short notice smacks of a panic buy by them.

• Like 2

A slightly different angle on this… if Villa really did offer/pay £30m for him, I’m sure Saints pushed him out of the door! We’d have to take that for a player who is 29, picks up a lot of niggles and had less than a year in his contract.

It’s probably not the dream move he had hoped for either (City, Man Utd, Spurs, etc) but if they are paying him a lot more and have sold him an ambitious plan, then it suits all parties.

I just hope we reinvest well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whelk said:

It was a fucking stupid post. If you were chairman we’d still have VVD and Mane no doubt

At what point is is stupid?

Ings was 1 in 2 for us.

selling a 10-20 goal a season proven PL striker potentially could mean relegation.

Now reliant on a scouting dept with a less than glorious record to replace the above with a week and a half left on the close season.

we will not spend all of the money received.

Worth revisiting the post at the end of the season and see how much of it is correct..

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I have more confidence in the scouting now than I did under Wilson, we've picked up some gems like Diallo, KWP, Salisu who are more in line with what we used to buy....

Of those, only KWP has featured regularly, so it's too early to judge on the other two.

As for the scouting and recruitment though, (including getting deals over the line) I think KWP was probably our third choice rb after previous attempts to sign Maehle (who was playing on the right at his previous club), and Zeefuik. Diallo also seemed second option to Sangarre (think that was his name).  So while we seem to identify targets, signing them remains another matter.

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

Ings was 1 in 2 for us.

selling a 10-20 goal a season proven PL striker potentially could mean relegation.

Now reliant on a scouting dept with a less than glorious record to replace the above with a week and a half left on the close season.

Worth revisiting the post at the end of the season and see how much of it is correct..

I completely understand your view point, but what would you have done assuming Ings didn't want to sign the contract we put on the table for him?

Because, again this is on assumptions, but there was also every chance had he stayed we would see a sluggish Ings going through the motions trying to avoid an injury that would jeopardise his big final payday. 

And if above was true, then it would be silly to turn down £25m+, and we could still go down if his goals dried up. 

7 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Ings was 1 in 2 for us.

Don’t think there is a Saints fan who didn’t want him to stay. We offered him good terms but didn’t want to know. It was only going to go one way and £30m decent. Not a symptom of a clown club and was the best they could do realistically 

• Like 5

Already seeing ‘injury prone’, ‘inconsistent’ ‘only turned up half a season’ being spouted around. 

Yet given the choice of Ings starting against Everton or Armstrong and £10million, we’d all pick Ings. Forget the rights or wrongs of the deal, this make us massively weaker. 

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Already seeing ‘injury prone’, ‘inconsistent’ ‘only turned up half a season’ being spouted around. 

Yet given the choice of Ings starting against Everton or Armstrong and £10million, we’d all pick Ings. Forget the rights or wrongs of the deal, this make us massively weaker. 

Maybe but perhaps we could wait and see

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I completely understand your view point, but what would you have done assuming Ings didn't want to sign the contract we put on the table for him?

Because, again this is on assumptions, but there was also every chance had he stayed we would see a sluggish Ings going through the motions trying to avoid an injury that would jeopardise his big final payday. 

And if above was true, then it would be silly to turn down £25m+, and we could still go down if his goals dried up. 

Finally, someone who can actually articulate a point instead of throwing around insults. 

this is me speaking honestly, but I would have asked ings 2020 close season what his intentions were. He must have known. If it wasn’t a conclusive yes that he wanted to stay, then I’d have moved onto my primary targets (assuming that recruitment dept has done their job) in that summer. 

Not that it matters as I have no say in the running of SFC but it’s a conversation I’ve had with my friends before about the Ings situation. For me, finding out last year would have made more sense and a chance of a bigger transfer fee, potentially. 

I get your point… tbh, mine, yours and a lot of others is all if, buts and maybes. But I was just giving my perspective. When it comes down to it, I think it’s a bad move.

Saints always seem to be a club that pretends to be organised but in reality, are just winging it and have been for years.. hence the muddled recruitment, loss of good managers, bad appointments etc.

Just now, LGTL said:

I don't think many people are saying it won't make us weaker, he was our stand out player. His goals kept us up last season, they kept us out of a relegation battle the season before.

But one player doesn't make a club. It didn't when we had Lambert, Shaw, Lallana, Chambers, Lovren etc.

We'll miss him but we owe it to the club to try and evolve from this situation. There are other players out there, and maybe we can use this fee to also improve other aspects of our game so we don't concede as many goals.

I'd be interested to bounce this thread in January just to see how it's all panned out.

• Like 1

If we don't make a sizeable profit on player sales over the next few years then we're fucked when our loan falls due or we enter a perpetual cycle of refinancing debt against an ever worsening position.

We were always going to look to sell a player for a big fee this summer. Clearly Villa were willing to overpay him on wages as it's a completely pointless move from a footballing perspective for him. I guess he didn't want to risk another injury disrupted season leaving him in a worse position next summer and his agent is probably confident that none of the top clubs were coming in for him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Vest leave too.

Can't see anyone willing to pay enough for JWP and he's on a longer contract so I am sure we would rather keep him in line for sale in a year or two.

I’m okay with this.

It’s not just that Ings only had a year left on his contract. It’s that his durability isn’t good enough for the heavy demands that Ralph’s style places on his strikers. I think we’ll end up actually looking better up front, all things considered, and I have more confidence that we’ll use the money wisely this time.

If JWP goes as well we lose a reliable workhorse who scores deadball goals but doesn’t contribute much creatively. He’s certainly replaceable, too.

This could be a quick and effective rebuild.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Don’t think there is a Saints fan who didn’t want him to stay. We offered him good terms but didn’t want to know. It was only going to go one way and £30m decent. Not a symptom of a clown club and was the best they could do realistically 

Fair one I just think this is one thing that could have been identified a lot earlier, like, last year. 

No one can surely like the idea of going into the season with Adams, Obafemi, Tella and Long as the options upfront.

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Alex Crook - the Les Reed of football journalists.

This is a guy who blocked me because I categorically told him Wanyama was in Southampton signing for Saints when he was tweeting he was in Cardiff signing for them.

absolute bellend.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Finally, someone who can actually articulate a point instead of throwing around insults. 

this is me speaking honestly, but I would have asked ings 2020 close season what his intentions were. He must have known. If it wasn’t a conclusive yes that he wanted to stay, then I’d have moved onto my primary targets (assuming that recruitment dept has done their job) in that summer. 

Not that it matters as I have no say in the running of SFC but it’s a conversation I’ve had with my friends before about the Ings situation. For me, finding out last year would have made more sense and a chance of a bigger transfer fee, potentially. 

I get your point… tbh, mine, yours and a lot of others is all if, buts and maybes. But I was just giving my perspective. When it comes down to it, I think it’s a bad move.

Saints always seem to be a club that pretends to be organised but in reality, are just winging it and have been for years.. hence the muddled recruitment, loss of good managers, bad appointments etc.

How would we have moved in on our primary targets in 2020 when we clearly have to sell before we can even come close to signing another player?

The 'board' and the 'scouting (recent scouting)' is being thrown under a bus, when it's the ownership that's the problem. I see it as two separate elements - Board doing as well as they can out of a shit situation, and ownership who have in essence dumped and run and aren't providing any support.

That makes it very hard for us to plan or to even proactively prepare for departures. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings