Danny Ings

sisi1992

40 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Ings is the only reason Ralph still has a job IMO. Hopefully they have someone decent lined up, we will be nailed on to go down if they don’t, there is no one in the squad at the moment capable of getting the goals we need.

Suppose you could argue the point that not only is Danny the reason Ralph still has a job, he’s probably the reason we’re still a Premier League club - in fact I’d say without his goals we’d have been fucked quite frankly. So aside from the transfer fee we’ve received he’s probably helped the club earn over £200 million in revenue. Not bad business really.

38 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Saints discard Danny Ings aged 13 like an empty bag of crisps for being too small. I went to school with Danny and the way the club went about it was not nice.

But he owes us loyalty or something...Our fanbase are hilarious at times. For the money he's on, I'd quite happily ditch Saints for Pompey. It's a business, clubs are employers and fans are customers. It's been that way for a VERY long time (long before the PL came into being despite popular belief). Far too many fans are unhappy because they expect players to have the same affection for clubs that they do but they don't and even if a player did have that affection (as I mentioned above), it'd still be pretty hard to turn down.

Danny has a family to think of and has to do what's right for them. Yes he's probably set for life but why not set his kids up too? And once he's managed that, set his grand children up as well?

The fact that Villa have payed this much for Ings with his injury record and contract situation means that he must have had a great time with us, and he has done! I have no issues with players/managers using us as a stepping stone because it means they'll have to do well. Do we really want to be making signings for players who see Saints as the absolute top of their career?

Ings was under contract, another employer has paid a damn good amount of money to get him out of it so they can employ him and we've accepted. In reality, we'd all be whinging if we hadn't accepted.

Wish Danny all the best (except against us) but no player is bigger than the club.

A most sensible post. Summed up football being a business well. I have no problem with him going, none at all. I’ve watched Saints do this for years and we survived. 

It's disappointing but not really surprising. (once the shock of the INSTANT WTF(!) nature wears off).

People keep forgetting how minted Villa are - I bet he's doubled his wages.

We know what positions we need to strengthen, but the maths don't work.   The advantageous thing is we've got a fair bit of time & got good money.

But what a loss he's going to be.

not surprised we sold him or that it was for a figure of £25m. I said it all along that the club can not afford to allow a £25m asset to walk for nothing. Very surprised its Villa. Fucking Villa. What a great move by them. 

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

At what point is is stupid?

Ings was 1 in 2 for us.

selling a 10-20 goal a season proven PL striker potentially could mean relegation.

Now reliant on a scouting dept with a less than glorious record to replace the above with a week and a half left on the close season.

we will not spend all of the money received.

Worth revisiting the post at the end of the season and see how much of it is correct..

Do you think holding onto him for another season and then having to let him go for nothing is more or less stupid than what we have just done? Would selling him to someone else (Spurs?) later in the window  for less money than Villa have paid us be more or less stupid than what we have just done?  Seriously they are the two other realistic alternative scenarios, nobody was going to pay us more.

• Like 2

I'm not overly fussed that he's left, obviously would rather have him, but I'm not angry, don't really care either way, we'll be OK, I do have to laugh when people try and justify mercenary behaviour though, like it's a normal job and he's just had a promotion because he needs a few more quid, he's looking out for his family etc, he could probably buy a house every month, what more do they need 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

Hope he fucks up his knee again playing for them, really testing himself at a higher level playing for Villa, more like the wages he'll be on than what we offered, Vestergaard next out

Seriously, sort yourself out. Posting bollocks like that.

Have a word.

• Like 16

a big disappojntment for me is not using the £70m loan to sign Patson Dakka before we sold Ings. I guess we had no chance when up against Leicester...jesus, I can't believe I am actually typing that.

I suppose the other disappointment is that we couldn't eek out a few more bob from Villa, who have cash to burn. If £30m is the final fee (add ons are hard to know) then that is about right.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

a big disappojntment for me is not using the £70m loan to sign Patson Dakka before we sold Ings. I guess we had no chance when up against Leicester...jesus, I can't believe I am actually typing that.

I suppose the other disappointment is that we couldn't eek out a few more bob from Villa, who have cash to burn. If £30m is the final fee (add ons are hard to know) then that is about right.

£30m for a 29 year old who's not getting any younger is a good deal for us.

I know Tammy Abraham has always been scouted by Saints and perhaps we offered him to Villa knowing we could get Tammy in who's supposed to be on his way to Atlanta. Has Ralph stepped in and secure this deal?

I'm reading Norwich are looking to wrap up the Armstrong deal in the next 24 hours. Surely we wouldn't miss out on him after selling our main striker?

Annoying that he has left, especially as he’s moving to a mid table club not a top 6 one. All the chat about testing himself at a higher level is clearly bs.

Glad at least we’ve got it sorted and got a fee, rather than let it drag on. Hopefully we can quickly sort a decent replacement.

Edited by Baird of the land

Really can't get excited over this. Good player, certainly. But we have got a great deal for an injury-prone, aging player in the last year of his contract. Just spend the money wisely.

Edited by itchen
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I'm reading Norwich are looking to wrap up the Armstrong deal in the next 24 hours. Surely we wouldn't miss out on him after selling our main striker?

If we rate Armstrong and who knows if we really did bid, then you'd think we would wrap that deal up immediately. Wonder who the alternative is.

Well we all knew he was off. £25 to £30 million is a decent wedge. I'm surprised it's Villa but they need a marquee signing to quell the unrest about Grealish going.

Players move, bloody annoying, especially a quality player like Ings. However, let's not self flagellate about it too long. Better to focus on the players we do have, including hopefully a new striker.

This still doesn't match losing Chivers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

There’s a month to go in the transfer window. Should we not maybe, you know, see how that goes first?

Absolutely, but I am not sure why there is so much confidence based on the performances in the second half of the season.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we rate Armstrong and who knows if we really did bid, then you'd think we would wrap that deal up immediately. Wonder who the alternative is.

Well, apparently Shane Long has been looking sharp in training....................

No Ings over the last two years and we’d have been relegated so thank you Danny for your service. If we had been more ambitious and able to improve, I imagine he’d have stayed but we aren’t that club anymore. Villa are on the up. 

Great that he has performed for us too as this has helped towards the desperate finances of the club. 

Finances should be reasonably secure once Vestergaard has gone and there might be some spare change to buy a cheap player or two. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Absolutely, but I am not sure why there is so much confidence based on the performances in the second half of the season.

You can’t be upset about the second half of last season AND be upset about selling some of the players who were responsible. Ings has 6 league goals since Christmas, that’s nothing incredible. Nobody is particularly confident but let’s at least see who we end up with before deciding we’re weaker. We’ve just signed Chelsea’s academy player of the year to replace Valery or Stephens covering at RB. 

6 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I'm more concerned about the tattoo coefficient. With both Ings and Bertrand gone who's now going to dazzle us with their shit inkings??

Don’t worry.  I’ve heard Perraud has had I Hate Pompey tattooed across his forehead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

Fair one I just think this is one thing that could have been identified a lot earlier, like, last year. 

No one can surely like the idea of going into the season with Adams, Obafemi, Tella and Long as the options upfront.

Yeah I do get that, but who is to say Ings was giving us mix signals or saying something else?

Ultimately, we’ll never know. Though this is a forum so I welcome listening to all opinions.

It is what it is, in an ideal world he signs a contract with us and gets 15+ PL goals.

That didn’t happen, so the next best thing is either:

a) We kept him, he gives us that 15+ season and then walks on a free OR

b) We receive £25m-£30m for a player who was clearly disinterested with 1 year left.

Im not a bitter or petty person by nature, but to leave us for Villa. Villa !!

What a fucking snake. What a fucking mercenary. Nothing to do with trophys. Nothing to do with Champions League. Just money. Like what we offered him was shite !! He might be "" a good bloke "" and all that, but I wont be shedding a tear if he ruptures something again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Yeah I do get that, but who is to say Ings was giving us mix signals or saying something else?

Ultimately, we’ll never know. Though this is a forum so I welcome listening to all opinions.

It is what it is, in an ideal world he signs a contract with us and gets 15+ PL goals.

b) We receive £25m-£30m for a player who was clearly disinterested with 1 year left.

And we also aren’t going to only have Long, Adams, Tella, and Obafemi as our front line next season either. 

I always thought he would go, no way could our finances take him not being sold, and I’m quite excited to see who we bring in. 

I still think we may move on 2 or 3 more, and replace. Think Vesty goes, and fringe players like Vallery and maybe Obafemi. Can see 2 Strikers coming in, and a LB, CM who can play CB, so maybe Delaney. 

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You can’t be upset about the second half of last season AND be upset about selling some of the players who were responsible. Ings has 6 league goals since Christmas, that’s nothing incredible. Nobody is particularly confident but let’s at least see who we end up with before deciding we’re weaker. We’ve just signed Chelsea’s academy player of the year to replace Valery or Stephens covering at RB. 

Are you serious? We should be rejoicing because we have signed a guy who is going to be great cover for our fullback position? We need guys on the pitch now, not next year. Fact is if we don't get a goalscorer in we are going to struggle big time. I'll reserve judgement to see who we bring in.

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I’m sure they hoped he might rethink in the summer. Once he didn’t sign the contract this summer when the Big clubs failed to come in for that was the end point. He clearly just wanted out to anyone and so job was to hopefully to find a way to get him gone quick(so we can replace) for as big a fee as possible.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings